• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How men look at women [W:749:1024]

re: How men look at women [W:749]

Of course it's going to draw attention, as it probably the point. How does that make her an object undeserving of respect?

So what in your mind is disrespect from men?

So no, you don't think women should hold themselves to a higher standard as well.....

A higher standard of dressing? No. A much more important high standard of respecting people? Absolutely.

I've heard time and time again that women don't dress in a particular way for men, they do it for or because of, other women.

Tell me about that, ladies.

I like a woman that is sexually free. And promiscuity is fine for either sex, as long as it's not done while the person is in a committed relationship.

A man or woman, that is promiscuous while in a committed relationship is, IMHO, a person that deserves ridicule and shame.

I agree, but that is a different argument. What I thought the discussion was about was the way a woman was objectified by men, which is wrong. Not that a sexually proud woman is looked at differently.
It is I have apparently I have some sort of derailment addiction.

I guess the connection to the OP is that, men will never change. Women will have better luck adjusting how they see themselves and each other

Name calling, saying unwelcome crude things to her, leering, pointing, following, sexual advances after she has declined, any kind of assault or harassment. Like I said before, what I call general creeping.

I don't see how looking at what they are showing is a sign of disrespect.

Name calling, saying unwelcome crude things to her, leering, pointing, following, sexual advances after she has declined, any kind of assault or harassment. Like I said before, what I call general creeping.

And the woman is not AT ALL responsible for even putting those thoughts into the guys head by the way she dresses and/or acts?

I don't see how looking at what they are showing is a sign of disrespect.

When I preach to teens about modesty, I tell the girls "If it ain't on the menu, cover it up!" Simple common sense.

I've heard time and time again that women don't dress in a particular way for men, they do it for or because of, other women.

I've heard that too, and I honestly don't know. When I try to make myself look nice, it's usually just to feel good about myself. Even if I'm by myself at home, I feel better when my hair is done, I like my clothes, and I think I look nice.

leather pants so tight you could tell I was circumsized.

That was the other problem back in the day....you'd see the tight pants, a well accented ass, the long hair......then he'd turn around:vomit:

See you completely disregard that the women are ALSO at fault. You aren't being rational.

A woman may in fact be dressed suggestively because "she wants it" but that doesn't mean she was it from YOU. Men flash what they think will be alluring to women and then chose who they want. Women have the right to do the same. If a man thinks this is an invitation to ANY man they are wrong.

Agree with the article to a point, but at the same time women should have some self-respect in what they wear. They shouldn't dress like objects, and then they won't get treated as such. Just saying.

Burkha mentality.

And the woman is not AT ALL responsible for even putting those thoughts into the guys head by the way she dresses and/or acts?

Is a woman responsible for putting thoughts of harassment and assault in a man's head? You are not fit to be preaching to anyone if that is a serious question.

I'm guessing that it's the typical "if a hot guy is checking me out it's fine but if he's a dirtball then it isn't". Of course that determination is never made based on appearance:roll:

That was sort of the gist of my original comments.

Women are their own worst enemy when it comes to fashion.

That was the other problem back in the day....you'd see the tight pants, a well accented ass, the long hair......then he'd turn around:vomit:

dude..I had a ponytail almost down to my waist in HS and college. If I had a dollar for every time I got an "oops, sorry man" from some dude in a club, I'd be retired by now.

Is a woman responsible for putting thoughts of harassment and assault in a man's head? You are not fit to be preaching to anyone if that is a serious question.

A woman is responsible for dressing in a way that would make a man have sexual thoughts toward her absolutely.

A friend posted this on facebook this morning, and I can't agree with it more. I'm tired of women being blamed for the independent thoughts and actions of others. I'm tired of the impossible standards put on women. The media say we have to be attractive and a little bit sexy in everything we do to be of any worth. Horrible things are said about us if we are not perceived to be attractive. That's the first thing people go to if they want to tear down or silence a woman. Call her ugly. But if we are sexy or too attractive in every day life we are whores undeserving of respect. And everyone claims we don't respect ourselves for some reason. As if our clothing choice could possibly speak to our level of respect or self esteem.

This does not just apply to men, as women can be just as judgmental. It's YOUR responsibility and your responsibility alone to see all people as people deserving of respect. To not objectify them in your mind.

Seeing a Woman: A conversation between a father and son | From One Degree to Another | Nate Pyle

Discuss! I'm ready to be disappointed...

I prefer to be around attractive women if I have a choice. It makes my day brighter. Frankly, I found the article itself to be sexist. Show me where the author is going to have a similar conversation with her young daughter and I'll recant. Women are much more judgemental of each other's personal appearances than men are of them.

I'm guessing that it's the typical "if a hot guy is checking me out it's fine but if he's a dirtball then it isn't". Of course that determination is never made based on appearance:roll:

my best friend is not what you would call a handsome man. great guy, but he's short (5'7"), skinny and hairy as a bear. not to sound "too" conceited..but I was a very good looking guy when I was younger. 6'3", 180, well muscled from playing sports, etc. we'd play the game where we would go out to the clubs and take turns hitting on chicks at tables using the exact same pick-up lines. 90% of the time, he'd get the brush off and 90% of the time I'd get an invitation to join them.

What is "slut attire" for men? A button down shirt opened to the navel, a spray on tan and 50# of gold chains?

When I was in my 20's I did the whole white slacks, bright colored short sleeved shirts and white sandals thing. Don Johnson would have been jealous of me. Was I objectifying myself? HELL YES!!!!!

But your thong underwear was over the top.

When I preach to teens about modesty, I tell the girls "If it ain't on the menu, cover it up!" Simple common sense.

"Common" sense is a subjective term.

I'll quote your PM.

"Let's be honest, some women dress like sluts. They do. They dress like that to get attention, then complain when they get it. If they don't want to be looked at as a slut or treated like one, don't dress and act like one."

Every time I hear a man say something like this, I just imagine he's bitter the woman doesn't want his attention. :shrug: Yes, women dress for attention sometimes. That doesn't mean they have to be thrilled with you hitting on them. Maybe it's not your attention they're after just because you think she looks like a slut. It certainly doesn't mean they want to be treated like a slut. I shudder to think what that even means. Groping them? Assuming they want to go in the bathroom and do you right there? Harassing them for sex? I maintain the shocking position that men alone are responsible for their bad behavior.

We're talking about the way men look at women, right? If you dress to draw attention to yourself (wearing a bikini at the beach wouldn't necessarily fall into that category unless you're the only one), why would it be wrong for a man to pay attention? Do you consider that bad behavior?

I've heard that too, and I honestly don't know. When I try to make myself look nice, it's usually just to feel good about myself. Even if I'm by myself at home, I feel better when my hair is done, I like my clothes, and I think I look nice.

I grew up in a house with 3 women and for the last 3 decades have lived with a Wife and 2 daughter. All of them liked to look nice and none ever went out of their way to dress provocatively.

The women in my life who did dress that way (slutty) turned out to be just that. There must be a connection. 8)

Back
Top Bottom