• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How many years until Catholicism performs homosexual "marriages"?

How many years until Catholic homosexual "marriages"?

• Less Than 5

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • 5 to 10

• 10 to 20

• More than 20

Votes: 29 65.9%

• Total voters
That is overwhelming? Hardly. Overwhelming would be 90%.

The mere fact that there have been child raping priests, and there still are child raping priests, and the church is still covering it up should concern and sicken anyone.

Marriage as holy matrimony is a sacrament. It would be absurd for the Church to redefine it based on the contemporary secular understanding of marriage.

I fully support gay marriage as a secular contract, but as someone with Catholic background, I would not consider churches that marry gays as Catholic anymore. I guess we should expect a schism over this issue at some point in future.

Thank you everyone for the bounty of responses. My notion looks to Northern Ireland. Sinn Fein is fighting for homosexual marriage while the DUP is fighting against it tooth and nail.

See the poll and feel free to state why.

The options should start with 20 years as the soonest possible time frame (and even that is extremely utopian, in my view).

It took 200 years for the Catholic church to admit the earth goes around the sun, dude. Its willingness to be ignorant and wrong for the sake of dogma knows almost no limitation.

Do you really think they'll accept homosexuality anytime soon?

If religion is to mean anything it has to stick to its guns and not just move as society moves. Otherwise, it is clear the religion doesn't even believe in their own teachings.

I really have no respect for someone that simply forgets everything they believe because the world around them moves away from their beliefs.

Re: How many years until Catholicism performs homosexual "marriages"?

Who's only evidence of divinity is claims from said book. Circular logic, FTW, apparently.

The Bible is true because the Bible said it's true. And how do I know it's true? Because the Bible says it's true!

Circular logic at it's best.

I do agree that the Bible only has authority over those of us who believe there's truth in it. Clearly you both reject that but then, I'm curious, why would you "like" any post that happens to quote something from the very book you hate, reject and ridicule (along with its believers)?

The "Church" is neither God nor the Son. It is merely a group of fallible human beings who constantly allow their personal prejudices to interfere with the basic teachings of Christ. To cherry pick from the Bible in order to support their view of "sin."

My view as a historian is that the Old Testament is a mixture of Jewish fables and history...which is which only God truly knows. As for the New Testament? Only those three books written by the Disciples who witnessed Jesus during his lifetime carry any weight with me. The rest is a confabulation of Paul of Tarsus and the political church that followed Constantine's state establishment.

Like I said above...the Catholic Church will probably wait until the Second Coming to find out how wrong they have been all along. :shrug:

That's funny, you reject nearly the entire Bible then accuse others of cherry picking.

The mere fact that there have been child raping priests, and there still are child raping priests, and the church is still covering it up should concern and sicken anyone.

There are a lot of things that should concern people. But hey, the Catholics won't come after you and kill you. I would be concerned with the religion that does.

There are a lot of things that should concern people. But hey, the Catholics won't come after you and kill you. I would be concerned with the religion that does.

Look at you, trying to minimize child rape.

On their own? Maybe never.

Forced by the government (or attempted)? Within 5 years.

As soon as it becomes economically preferable to do so, they will. Once the Vatican realizes that there's gold in them there gay pockets and they need that gold to keep living a life of luxury, they'll find some way to justify it.

People tend to forget how slowly the Church changes.
In my own lifetime, Masses still were in the vulgate, and had been for 15 centuries.
Women still had to ware a veil in Church.
There are still a few Churches around that never accepted Vatican II.

People tend to forget how slowly the Church changes.
In my own lifetime, Masses still were in the vulgate, and had been for 15 centuries.
Women still had to ware a veil in Church.
There are still a few Churches around that never accepted Vatican II.

Yes, but then society changed and faced with the very real possibility of losing butts in pews, the Church had to change or lose money and followers. That's what it all comes down to most of the time. Sure, you get some fanatical churches who only care about doctrinal purity, but most, like it or not, are in it for the money and influence. You get neither when the pews are empty.

Yes, but then society changed and faced with the very real possibility of losing butts in pews, the Church had to change or lose money and followers. That's what it all comes down to most of the time. Sure, you get some fanatical churches who only care about doctrinal purity, but most, like it or not, are in it for the money and influence. You get neither when the pews are empty.
In the last century the Catholic Church has almost quadrupled,
I don't think they are worried.
The Global Catholic Population | Pew Research Center

That's funny, you reject nearly the entire Bible then accuse others of cherry picking.

cherry picking within a particular book and chapter, as many do, even from one verse to the next, vs cherry picking which books are divinely inspired at all...the problem is that so many of the prophets refer to the other books as divinely inspired

even his point about the 3 NT texts is likely the same thing he's complaining about, since as far as scholars can tell they were compiled a generation after the supposed events. I mean from a historian POV he could be right that paul of tarsus was a fraud, but he could easily be wrong about the texts he clings to

Not going to happen. It'd fly in the face of almost two thousand years of established dogma.

Changing something so fundamental to the belief system would be as good as basically admitting that the whole religion is invalid.

Instructing sinners of the error of their ways is a form of "love," actually.

and Boswell's discovery of dozens of cases of early christian gay weddings? Homophobia as an institution didn't really take off until the 3-400s

besides, the CC is as vulnerable to pressure as anything else and if 70% of catholics support gay weddings now, and it's legal in catholic countries that even have Jesus statues over their capital cities, this is only a matter of time until it 'advances by going backwards'

otherwise it will become more and more irrelevant

I think you are stretching things a bit here. To the best of my knowledge no member of Christ's circle, either of the 12 Disciples or the women (who should be but are not considered by the "philosophers, theologians, and historians" of the Catholic Church as worthy to be his disciples due to their sex) have said a single thing on the subject.

The only "apostle" who did was Paul of Tarsus, and he did not "break bread" with Jesus...did he?

You might want to re-acquaint yourself with the subject. The Acts of the Apostles include sermons from the Apostles Peter, Paul, John, Jude, and James. Christian religious manuals can also be found dating back to the same date as the original Gospels, condemning things like homosexuality, extra-marital sex, and abortion (as it was understood at the time, at least).

Christian morality very much forms a clear continuity all the way back to the beginning of the religion. The Church simply enforces it.

Leading people to Christ is the greatest form of love there is, if one accepts the notion that he is God and the ultimate source of human salvation. :shrug:

Granted, some people correct others for the wrong reasons, and with the wrong feelings in their heart. However, even then, just because some love is "tough," does not mean it is necessarily wrong.

my neighbor planted two different crops next to each other, yet no one gave him so much **** for it

and no it is not love at all when people tell you to leave them the **** alone

Look at you, trying to minimize child rape.

Look at you. This topic is gay marriage and if it will ever be preformed in the Catholic church, not child rape.

Also priests will never marry these children, but child marriage is another problem, and not a Catholic one.

Actually, they're terrified and hemorrhaging members faster than almost any denomination out there.

Pew survey: Percentage of US Catholics drops and Catholicism is losing members faster than any denomination ? CRUX

But it is growing exponentially in Asia and Africa.

Quite frankly, the Western World in general is starting to look more and more like a lost cause. It worships only its self, and its own desires.

Cutting off a cancerous limb is sometimes for the best.

my neighbor planted two different crops next to each other, yet no one gave him so much **** for it

and no it is not love at all when people tell you to leave them the **** alone

Churches, whether anyone likes it or not, are businesses. They have bills to pay. The second that they stand to lose money and influence, they will change the rules to attract more converts. They will find some way to rationalize their way around condemnations in the Bible, like the one you point out. To do otherwise means they just go out of business.

I see no never option, nor do I see an option for its potential revocation. Complacency is a dangerous deficiency indeed.

But it is growing exponentially in Asia and Africa.

Quite frankly, the Western World in general is starting to look more and more like a lost cause. It worships only its self, and its own desires.

Cutting off a cancerous limb is sometimes for the best.

It's growing in the third world where they don't know any better, but they don't have any money or power there and that's what the Church really wants. Religion appeals to the poor and the gullible. Once those countries develop decent economies, once they don't have to worry where their next meal is coming from, once they have a decent standard of living, they'll be walking away from religion too. Religion is a placebo for the desperate, nothing more.

What's with people's obsession about sexuality of others?
Almost every day we read and hear someone yelling "look at me, I am ______sexual, acknowledge or else".
What gives anyone the right to make their preferences known to everyone else? If every straight person would walk around yelling "look at me, I am ______sexual, acknowledge or else", we wouldn't be able to hear ourselves think.
Get over it. Let Catholics/Christians, Muslims, Jews, Atheists... do what they must within their personal space and leave the rest of us alone. Nobody's personal lifestyle is so important that they must infringe on the liberty of everyone else. No one wants to know everyone's preferences, unless they are illegal and/or harm others.
Get over it.

Back
Top Bottom