• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How condom use results in pregnancy

Celebrity

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
The Do's and Don'ts of Wearing a Condom

This article lists in great detail how to use a condom correctly. Some little known facts about condom failure are listed as well. Not all of the ways in which condoms fail are included in sex education. Although the condom is designed to be an infallible prophylactic, it is used by humans. Human error can lead to an incorrect use of a condom or failure to prevent insemination.

How many condoms are used per year? Is it not a logical conclusion that sometimes, they will be used incorrectly?

When condom use results in pregnancy, we say that the condom "failed," but you might also say that someone failed to use the condom as a preventative measure. How much culpability should be assigned to any man involved when a condom fails, and insemination occurs?

Pass the buck. Let the woman put it on you. :)

But if we teach this to our kids, our kids will become little sex fiend heathens!

The Do's and Don'ts of Wearing a Condom

This article lists in great detail how to use a condom correctly. Some little known facts about condom failure are listed as well. Not all of the ways in which condoms fail are included in sex education. Although the condom is designed to be an infallible prophylactic, it is used by humans. Human error can lead to an incorrect use of a condom or failure to prevent insemination.

How many condoms are used per year? Is it not a logical conclusion that sometimes, they will be used incorrectly?

When condom use results in pregnancy, we say that the condom "failed," but you might also say that someone failed to use the condom as a preventative measure. How much culpability should be assigned to any man involved when a condom fails, and insemination occurs?

This is not "how condom use results in pregnancy." This is "how defects or human error result in condom failure."

All of these things are included in any decent sex education class on condoms I have ever seen or participated in.

It is not always human failure that causes a condom to fail, and this too is included in sex education. 2% of the time, condoms may fail even with perfect use due to manufacturing issues or error of the stockist themselves.

As implied by my saying I have participated in sex education, I know just about every way condoms are used wrong, and I know exactly how to use them right. I still had a condom fail once. It was in date, stored correctly, and put on correctly. I tested the rest of the box with some standard "demo" stuff I would do for a class to prove how strong condoms are. The expected result is that the condoms will survive this demo. But all of the ones I had failed.

There was some kind of error in either manufacturing or in the way the stockist handled them. Nothing I could have done to prevent that. Fortunately, Plan B exists.

But given that this has only happened to me once in 11 years of sexual activity, and I used condoms 100% of the time until after my tubal 4 years ago (and now I use them until fresh tests and exclusivity are established), that's a pretty damn good efficacy rate.

Condoms are very reliable when used correctly. And hey, when a condoms fails, at least you know right away. You don't with most other forms of contraception.

As far as "culpability," god, who cares? It's an accident. We don't need to be constantly looking for someone to put on the gallows.

You should both educate yourselves on your method of contraception/STD prevention before you do it anyway.

This is not "how condom use results in pregnancy." This is "how defects or human error result in condom failure."

All of these things are included in any decent sex education class on condoms I have ever seen or participated in.

It is not always human failure that causes a condom to fail, and this too is included in sex education. 2% of the time, condoms may fail even with perfect use due to manufacturing issues or error of the stockist themselves.

As implied by my saying I have participated in sex education, I know just about every way condoms are used wrong, and I know exactly how to use them right. I still had a condom fail once. It was in date, stored correctly, and put on correctly. I tested the rest of the box with some standard "demo" stuff I would do for a class to prove how strong condoms are. The expected result is that the condoms will survive this demo. But all of the ones I had failed.

There was some kind of error in either manufacturing or in the way the stockist handled them. Nothing I could have done to prevent that. Fortunately, Plan B exists.

But given that this has only happened to me once in 11 years of sexual activity, and I used condoms 100% of the time until after my tubal 4 years ago (and now I use them until fresh tests and exclusivity are established), that's a pretty damn good efficacy rate.

Condoms are very reliable when used correctly. And hey, when a condoms fails, at least you know right away. You don't with most other forms of contraception.

As far as "culpability," god, who cares? It's an accident. We don't need to be constantly looking for someone to put on the gallows.

You should both educate yourselves on your method of contraception/STD prevention before you do it anyway.

Would you agree that, while a condom is used a pregnancy could occur? Because that would mean that condom use during sex which results in pregnancy exists, whether it's reliable or an accident. Obviously that's not the intended use, but hey, it happens.

Also I should note that men do not have access to Plan B. Once a woman is fully in control of her own body, there is no turning back for men who want to legally opt out of becoming a parent. I think that should change.

Would you agree that, while a condom is used a pregnancy could occur? Because that would mean that condom use during sex which results in pregnancy exists, whether it's reliable or an accident. Obviously that's not the intended use, but hey, it happens.

Also I should note that men do not have access to Plan B. Once a woman is fully in control of her own body, there is no turning back for men who want to legally opt out of becoming a parent. I think that should change.

Yes, but the way you're formulating that sentence makes it untrue by English grammatical standards. Saying "__ results in __" means it is a causative relationship. And that is not true -- using condoms does not cause pregnancy. What causes pregnancy is all the stuff you learned in biology, which was able to occur because the condom failed.

Ok. And?

Last edited:
Yes, but the way you're formulating that sentence makes it untrue by English grammatical standards. Saying "__ results in __" means it is a causative relationship. And that is not true -- using condoms does not cause pregnancy. What causes pregnancy is all the stuff you learned in biology, which was able to occur because the condom failed.

Ok. And?

I disagree. The use of "results" was not meant to imply a direct cause or implicit singular purpose of condoms. When condoms fail, they must be used. An unused condom does not actively fail, though you might say its use failed passively. So I'm not trying to be duplicitous, just inclusive of the use of condoms in sex which results in pregnancy.

How does pregnancy follow from the use of a condom? I think your answer is clear, the condom can fail. I get that.

result
/rəˈzəlt/
noun
a consequence, effect, or outcome of something.
"the tower collapsed as a result of safety violations"
synonyms: consequence, outcome, product, upshot, sequel, effect, reaction, repercussion, ramification, conclusion, culmination More
verb
occur or follow as the consequence of something.
"government unpopularity resulting from the state of the economy"
synonyms: follow from, ensue from, develop from, stem from, spring from, arise from, derive from, evolve from, proceed from; More

I disagree. The use of "results" was not meant to imply a direct cause or implicit singular purpose of condoms. When condoms fail, they must be used. An unused condom does not actively fail, though you might say its use failed passively. So I'm not trying to be duplicitous, just inclusive of the use of condoms in sex which results in pregnancy.

How does pregnancy follow from the use of a condom? I think your answer is clear, the condom can fail. I get that.

result
/rəˈzəlt/
noun
a consequence, effect, or outcome of something.
"the tower collapsed as a result of safety violations"
synonyms: consequence, outcome, product, upshot, sequel, effect, reaction, repercussion, ramification, conclusion, culmination More
verb
occur or follow as the consequence of something.
"government unpopularity resulting from the state of the economy"
synonyms: follow from, ensue from, develop from, stem from, spring from, arise from, derive from, evolve from, proceed from; More

Pregnancy is not an "effect" of using a condom. It is an effect of sperm meeting egg, which may occur if a condom fails.

Pregnancy is not an "effect" of using a condom. It is an effect of sperm meeting egg, which may occur if a condom fails.

Sperm meeting egg is a result of a failed condom. Not all the time, though sometimes.

In a probabilistic sense, you might assign a probability X to the likelihood that some event occurs, i.e. use of a condom and impregnation occurring. Then condom use results in pregnancy with probability X>0 and does not result in pregnancy with X>0. With probability of 1, either pregnancy occurs or else it does not. You can dissect it into the use of a condom and the occurrence of failure with pregnancy as a result. But we're really getting into the semantics.

Perhaps it would be more convenient to ask how failure to use a condom results in pregnancy. If you want to get existential, you might ask yourself, is a failed condom still a condom? You might notice that "failure" here is synonymous with "broken."

fail
/fāl/
break down; cease to work well.
"a truck whose brakes had failed"
synonyms: break down, break, stop working, cut out, crash; More
antonyms: work

Sperm meeting egg is a result of a failed condom. Not all the time, though sometimes.

In a probabilistic sense, you might assign a probability X to the likelihood that some event occurs, i.e. use of a condom and impregnation occurring. Then condom use results in pregnancy with probability X>0 and does not result in pregnancy with X>0. With probability of 1, either pregnancy occurs or else it does not. You can dissect it into the use of a condom and the occurrence of failure with pregnancy as a result. But we're really getting into the semantics.

Perhaps it would be more convenient to ask how failure to use a condom results in pregnancy. If you want to get existential, you might ask yourself, is a failed condom still a condom? You might notice that "failure" here is synonymous with "broken."

fail
/fāl/
break down; cease to work well.
"a truck whose brakes had failed"
synonyms: break down, break, stop working, cut out, crash; More
antonyms: work

Whatever. Fact remains, using condoms does not "result" in pregnancy, as your own definitions which you apparently didn't understand have shown.

It wouldn't matter if condoms never worked at all; they still don't "result" in pregnancy. Stuffing a toy car in one's vagina doesn't "result" in pregnancy either.

I cannot believe you're trying to invoke horribly mangled Platonic philosophy to defend the idea that using condoms causes pregnancy. This is like satire.

Whatever. Fact remains, using condoms does not "result" in pregnancy, as your own definitions which you apparently didn't understand have shown.

It wouldn't matter if condoms never worked at all; they still don't "result" in pregnancy. Stuffing a toy car in one's vagina doesn't "result" in pregnancy either.

I cannot believe you're trying to invoke horribly mangled Platonic philosophy to defend the idea that using condoms causes pregnancy. This is like satire.

Satire? You mean like putting a condom with male ejaculate in a toy car, then putting the toy car in a vagina, then getting pregnant?

Back
Top Bottom