• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

House GOP seeks cuts in food stamps

House GOP seeks cuts in food stamps - David Rogers - POLITICO.com

congress has 13 days to pass a continuing resolution that funds the government, and the house is using that time to cut food stamp benefits to people.

can anyone justify this?

Can you justify all of them being entitled in the first place??

According to the GAO, in 2009, $2.2 billion in SNAP benefits were paid in error. Mis-use of food stamps at the retail level is rampant. There are only 40 inspectors to police almost 200,000 retail outlets. The U.S. government asupplies 1/3 of Puerto Rican citizens with food stamps at a cost of over $2 billion per year. The USDA has conducted a massive advertising campaign to promote food stamps. The USDA puts out a flyer in Spanish explaining to illegal immigrants that they can qualify for food stamps because they are not required to disclose their immigration status. Food stamps are meant to get people on their feet, not to be a permanent crutch. In 1998, 41% of food stamp recipients had been in the program for ten years or more.

TOP 10 REASONS FOOD STAMPS NEED TO BE REFORMED | FreedomWorks

i am not saying that the food stamp system is perfect. but it is ridiculous to argue that 1% occurance of fraud calls for putting the entire system on the chopping block.

How do you know it's only 1%? I would suggest it's well over 50% that people should not be on food stamps. I first question the standard to quality for food stamps, same as any benefit and entitlement. Second we have become an entitlement society, why because we have so many entitlements and freebies there is no incentive to do anything except live on the government dole.

According to the White House, the economy has recovered nicely from the depths of the recession. Do you disagree?

that is irrelevant to what i am saying. no matter what any politican says about the current state of the economy, the financial crisis and the recession that followed was severe and the damage inflicted is still being felt by people.

i did not post this article to mock the republicans like some of my less then reputable left-wing colleagues, and i sometimes criticize obama on certain issues. i posted this article because i cannot understand how 3.8 million people should be deprived of benefits just because of a few occurances of fraud. why not go after the people who committed the fraud, or is that not enough?

How do you know it's only 1%? I would suggest it's well over 50% that people should not be on food stamps. I first question the standard to quality for food stamps, same as any benefit and entitlement. Second we have become an entitlement society, why because we have so many entitlements and freebies there is no incentive to do anything except live on the government dole.

and that kind of belief runs counter to my own.

personally i hold to the principle that the government should govern "so that the strong should not harm the weak".

paraphrasing Hammurabi

Can you justify all of them being entitled in the first place??

According to the GAO, in 2009, $2.2 billion in SNAP benefits were paid in error. Mis-use of food stamps at the retail level is rampant. There are only 40 inspectors to police almost 200,000 retail outlets. The U.S. government asupplies 1/3 of Puerto Rican citizens with food stamps at a cost of over $2 billion per year. The USDA has conducted a massive advertising campaign to promote food stamps. The USDA puts out a flyer in Spanish explaining to illegal immigrants that they can qualify for food stamps because they are not required to disclose their immigration status. Food stamps are meant to get people on their feet, not to be a permanent crutch. In 1998, 41% of food stamp recipients had been in the program for ten years or more.

TOP 10 REASONS FOOD STAMPS NEED TO BE REFORMED | FreedomWorks

I like your post because it is informative. That said, I really wouldn't care if they gave out even more food stamp just as long as they are more proactive about fraud, including fraudulent conversion for cash. Agriculture and food processing is at least largely an industry not readily exported and I don't begrudge putting food on people's tables.

and that kind of belief runs counter to my own.

personally i hold to the principle that the government should govern "so that the strong should not harm the weak".

paraphrasing Hammurabi

How is 'the weak' not being able to provide for themselves being 'harmed by the strong'? IOW exactly what is the 'strong' doing to harm the 'weak'? Reducing SNAP benefits? Heck even the CBO review predicts a large decline in SNAP participation over the next 10 years...

OH and let's not forget who the last president was that enacted 'welfare' reform...and how highly touted as a MAJOR success it was/is by the 'left'...

How is 'the weak' not being able to provide for themselves being 'harmed by the strong'? IOW exactly what is the 'strong' doing to harm the 'weak'? Reducing SNAP benefits? Heck even the CBO review predicts a large decline in SNAP participation over the next 10 years...

OH and let's not forget who the last president was that enacted 'welfare' reform...and how highly touted as a MAJOR success it was/is by the 'left'...

the strong are the lobbyest's and people who hate the snap program because it is a government program, who have the money and influence to lobby the government.

the weak are the people on the snap program or people who support it, who don't have the money to influence power in Washington.

The effect will be a kick in the ass towards self sufficiency...
Bull****! The effect will be hunger and crime. Or are you of those people who think that Obama has headed up such an unprecedented economic recovery that anyone who wants a job can find a job? Do you really think jobs are that plentiful thanks to Obama? If not then your claim that all they need is "a kick in the ass towards self sufficiency" is total nonsense.

and these are some of the problems with current bill

It's a good thing we have Republicans who are willing to make the hard choices required by the liberal's spending sprees. God knows the liberals won't make them...they'll just keep on borrowing and spending.

It's a good thing we have Republicans who are willing to make the hard choices required by the liberal's spending sprees. God knows the liberals won't make them...they'll just keep on borrowing and spending.

and by making those hard choices, the republicans are forgetting the debt that they owe..

Don't work, don't eat.

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
Herbert Spencer

Can anyone justify 51 million people being on the food stamps program? That 2.8 million people you mention..... well its not even 10% of the current food stamp roll. So please, give me a break.

the way you dismiss the people who actually would lose their benefits, i think you see this as a numbers game.

do you think that if any of those 51 million people had better options or choices available, they would actually want to be on foodstamps? These people had their list of opportunity's narrowed by circumstance.

Lesson being, don't have children without a reasonable expectation of being able to support them as well as yourself...

Because, as we all know, everyone who receives SNAP assistance has been poor forever, and procreated after becoming poor. That nice little economic collapse we had five years ago surely didn't push people onto the food stamp rolls. No sirree.

the same debt that the democrats have, and the same debt that apply to every politician.

they are indebted to the people.

How so?

You still haven't explained what debt the Republicans...or even the Democrats...owe the people.

Sorry, your right, no one scams the system. No one cheats on their tax return, there is no fraud in Medicare even though Obama said there was. Yep every person on the dole of big daddy government is deserving of it. FREE is the vote getter, promise anything FREE and you get elected. Promise a new entitlement you get elected.

Strawman alert!

Many schools no longer allow bagged lunches from home. Now what?

Do you have a source for this?

:citation needed:

What debt would that be?

Please tell me you're not implying that the entirety of the national debt is solely the responsibility of the Democratic Party.

Because, as we all know, everyone who receives SNAP assistance has been poor forever, and procreated after becoming poor. That nice little economic collapse we had five years ago surely didn't push people onto the food stamp rolls. No sirree.

snap-employed.jpg

How so?

You still haven't explained what debt the Republicans...or even the Democrats...owe the people.

we vote for them, we in effect give them our consent to govern, surely they must understand that at least they treat us equally like human beings, regardless of social or economic standing.

can anyone justify this?

No, no one can justify the unconstitutional expenditure of food stamps, but it's good that we have some folks fighting to cut this cost when we have such egregious debt already.

No, no one can justify the unconstitutional expenditure of food stamps, but it's good that we have some folks fighting to cut this cost when we have such egregious debt already.

How on earth are food stamps unconstitutional?

Back
Top Bottom