• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

House GOP seeks cuts in food stamps

there is an estimated 750 million dollars a year in Snap fraud.

I expect it is MUCH higher but using your number it is only ~1% of the total annual SNAP expenditure (~$80b).

when they have established lives that are economically stable enough for them to not need further assistance

Riddle me this. If we are already providing SNAP benefits, why are we feeding breakfast, lunch, and in some instances dinners to school children with no income checks?

How I justify food stamps for the poor: we are a civilized society. We don't want families prostituting their child daughters for an income, like the democratic country of India, while the super wealthy dine on delicacies and watch the starving through the windows. We don't want out citizens fleeing the country in droves, like the democratic nation of Mexico, so that their families can earn a living wage and get food.

Please post up a case of a person starving to death in this country that was not self administered or by force.

This country provides a safety net for those who have fallen on hard times. And that is right. The net is not lavish.

Fallen on hard times. And what exactly does that mean. When should you be eligible for food stamps?

It's a matter of decency and what civilized compassionate citizens do in our democratic nation. If you want to cut food stamps, then let's cut the subsidies to GE, Exon and other large corporations. THAT'S where the real money is.

I see you don't like those subsidies, what are you doing to stop them? I mean the Democrats controlled the house, senate and the presidency and did not stop it. So who's to blame.

How about kicking BP out of the country, since they've cost you and me millions in assistance for their oil spills,

Maybe you can post a site that supports your statement. How many millions did BP cost us in assistance for their oil spills? Like Exon Valdez oil spill in Alaska, every fisherman made way more off Exon than they did fishing. In fact everyone remotely connected or just contractors made so much money it was a huge windfall for them. I don't know where your from but in the Gulf everyone got more from BP than they would had the spill not happened. Another money windfall for the people in the Gulf.

not to mention the damage done to the environment

What damage? In Valdez you would never know there was a spill, same as in the gulf. Hell I eat all the fish I can from the gulf.

and people's livelihoods?

Yeah they got rich off BP.

(The BP oil spill isn't over, BTW. Lives were ruined.

Hardly, they got rich, yet you call that ruined, I call that a windfall profit.

Livelihoods were ended.

What livelihoods?

Shrimp is contaminated.

For the moment I'm sitting on the Gulf Coast of Alabama, the shrimp capital and the shrimp industry is bombing. And I eat all the shrimp I can get from the Gulf.

Fish are still dying.

From what?

And yet, BP is notorious in the industry for being intentionally wanton in its disregard for safety from spills. WE pay. Not BP.)

What BS, please provide some evidence of your false claims.

when they have established lives that are economically stable enough for them to not need further assistance

But when folks are receiving benefits for food, energy and housing (and soon to be health insurance) what motivation do they have to establish 'lives that are economically stable enough'.

Since the CBO report indicated a 3.8m reduction is this 'everyone who uses food stamps' who will 'suffer'? It seems you grossly overstated the effects of the proposed reductions...?

Is it fair or reasonable for 3.8 million people to potentially lose their benefits just because of the illegal actions committed by a small minority?

Riddle me this. If we are already providing SNAP benefits, why are we feeding breakfast, lunch, and in some instances dinners to school children with no income checks?

There are some locations where backpacks of food are given to the children on Friday, so they will have something to eat on the weekends, too. It's sad that it must be necessary! :shock:

Good evening, AP! :2wave:

Is it fair or reasonable for 3.8 million people to potentially lose their benefits just because of the illegal actions committed by a small minority?

The better question is why they should be receiving a "benefit" at all...

There are some locations where backpacks of food are given to the children on Friday, so they will have something to eat on the weekends, too. It's sad that it must be necessary! :shock:

Good evening, AP! :2wave:

Good evening pg. I'm not a cold hearted person, but I do have issues with many of these programs established in the name of fairness...

I guess it would not be reasonable as long as they are not stealing form you.

because some public schools have additional obligations to their students.

and money should not be a excuse for denying people food.

What obligation does a public school have to their students other than to educate? These meals are not generally being paid for locally, but rather through federal dollars...

Why is feeding school children an obligation at all? Do you not expect parents to feed their children?

and money should not be a excuse for denying people food.

Would closing down school cafeterias be considered denying people food? Aren't parents expected to feed their children.

this only shows how hard it has been for people to recover from the recession.

According to the White House, the economy has recovered nicely from the depths of the recession. Do you disagree?

and how does one know for certain which of those 3.8 million people are actually stealing from the system?

Sorry, your right, no one scams the system. No one cheats on their tax return, there is no fraud in Medicare even though Obama said there was. Yep every person on the dole of big daddy government is deserving of it. FREE is the vote getter, promise anything FREE and you get elected. Promise a new entitlement you get elected.

Where do you think family responsibility should lie?

do what they can, with what they have, where they are, to provide the best live possible for their family. if that requires making them a bagged lunch for their kids that are going to school that is just fine, but if they cannot make their kid's lunch for them, then at least send them to a school that provides meals or food on campus.

do what they can, with what they have, where they are, to provide the best live possible for their family. if that requires making them a bagged lunch for their kids that are going to school that is just fine, but if they cannot make their kid's lunch for them, then at least send them to a school that provides meals or food on campus.

Many schools no longer allow bagged lunches from home. Now what?

Sorry, your right, no one scams the system. No one cheats on their tax return, there is no fraud in Medicare even though Obama said there was. Yep every person on the dole of big daddy government is deserving of it. FREE is the vote getter, promise anything FREE and you get elected. Promise a new entitlement you get elected.

i am not saying that the food stamp system is perfect. but it is ridiculous to argue that 1% occurance of fraud calls for putting the entire system on the chopping block.

i am not saying that the food stamp system is perfect. but it is ridiculous to argue that 1% occurance of fraud calls for putting the entire system on the chopping block.

How much would you be willing to agree to cut?

have you ever tried living on food stamps? it is not like you live a luxurious life when you are on food stamps.

I've been to plenty of parties in the projects. Their places aren't bad, complete with big screen TVs and full boat cable, while the tenants are on welfare and/or food stamps. A lot of them live better than people who actually work their ass off and aren't on assistance, and that's not right.

Back
Top Bottom