• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

House GOP seeks cuts in food stamps

Bull.....notice that during Bill Clinton's eight years of higher tax rates that the upper 1% was headed back toward a reasonable level and then along came George.
6-25-10inc-f1.jpg

Are you capable of reading your own chart? look at the years 1994 till 2001 and notice the steep climb in the 1% versus the rest of us. Now take a deep breath, take off your partisan blinders and look at the chart. What you see is the 1% do much better than us in economic good times, such as 94 till 2001 and converge with the rest of us in bad times. This is exactly what you should expect. Capital investment is much riskier than labor investment. Capitalist disproportionately benefit in good economic times and suffer in poor economic times.

There is a reason, boys and girls, this chart ends six years ago, in the last recession the income of the top 1% ONCE AGAIN CONVERGED ON THE INCOME OF THE REST OF US.

Always ask yourself why somebody picks specific years to graph. Why does the chart not go out to 2012? The answer is simple. If the chart went out to 2012 it would give even more evidence that when the rich get richer so do the rest of us and when the rich get poorer so do we all. Trickle down economics works, a rising tide does raise all boats.

House GOP seeks cuts in food stamps - David Rogers - POLITICO.com

congress has 13 days to pass a continuing resolution that funds the government, and the house is using that time to cut food stamp benefits to people.

can anyone justify this?

"House seeks tighter food stamp RULES."

What don't you understand about that???

Sorry if the House has had it with people abusing food stamps, selling their cards or buying junk with them - and in some cases gambling with their cards...

Of course progressives equate that into "starving people."

I'm sick of progressives acting like everyone on welfare or food stamps is somehow needy and ashamed when in reality there are plenty that love the free money and love how easy those funds are to get..

Why buy groceries when the government will buy them for you?

Why work a full time job when the government will give you enough welfare and other subsides to allow you to work a part time job or not work at all?

This is how democrats buy their votes....

Any lazy fool who wants free money can have it but just remember who's giving it to you (democrats)...\

It's ****ing disgusting...

Democrats want people to depend on the state and federal governments - they don't want people to support themselves and pay their way because if they did they wouldn't NEED DEMOCRATS....

Well that makes two of us sick of Progressives acting as you described. It's a joke and a very bad one at that! But many folks are seeing it first hand in the grocery stores what the Hell is going on. The other day I was in line at the checkout. I had a little over a pound of ground sirloin to make chili BECAUSE CHILI WAS IN MY BUDGET FOR THAT WEEK. This over weight woman in front of me was checking out. On her food stamp card she purchased two huge Porterhouse steaks, fresh shrimp, ****ake mushrooms, high priced deli cheeses. Then with her bank card she purchased micro brewed beer at $10.00 a six pack, and two bottles of fine wine and used her bank card to pay for that purchase. And there I was with my package of ground sirloin and an adult juice box of Chardonnay that is equivalent to 3 liters and was less than one of her bottles wine. I paid cash for my purchase. And because I still pay taxes, I paid cash for her purchases too. So what's wrong with this picture?

I have these conversations with friends all the time and they are seeing the same thing. One gal told me she picked up a pound of chipped chopped ham for her kid's lunches and paid cash. The woman in front of her was afforded Boar's Head roast beef on her food stamp card. Enough ! I've often thought of getting a tee shirt that says "You're welcome" and wear it to the grocery store on the first of the month.

How I justify food stamps for the poor: we are a civilized society. We don't want families prostituting their child daughters for an income, like the democratic country of India, while the super wealthy dine on delicacies and watch the starving through the windows. We don't want out citizens fleeing the country in droves, like the democratic nation of Mexico, so that their families can earn a living wage and get food.

Agreed. Now how do you justify food stamps for the greater portion of of SNAP recipients for whom that is not the option, but might rather have to give up their iPhone for an older, cheaper model?

Back
Top Bottom