• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Homeless camps on public land will be felony in TN

I think its also worth pointing out that a lot of people that are homeless without substance abuse issues or severe mental illness are crashing at the friends, or in a battered women's shelter or some other type of transitional housing rather than on the street. Most people you see on the street have either severe mental illness, substance abuse issues, or both.

Point being, the solution is not simply to house them as promoted by some on the left, or to tell them to get a job as promoted by some on the right.
What is your solution?

The ones who are actually looking to get off the drugs should get treatment once or twice, after that they are a lost cause. If you aren't willing to get treatment then for all I care you can do all the drugs you want out in the woods. Let all the addicts go to some forgotten corner of each state....

Recitivism rates in excess of 90%. How many times, how many resources, do we just keep banging out head against a wall?
We dont do rehabilitation. We are jailing people at far higher percentages than countries we consider despotic.

I think its also worth pointing out that a lot of people that are homeless without substance abuse issues or severe mental illness are crashing at the friends, or in a battered women's shelter or some other type of transitional housing rather than on the street. Most people you see on the street have either severe mental illness, substance abuse issues, or both.

Point being, the solution is not simply to house them as promoted by some on the left, or to tell them to get a job as promoted by some on the right.
Yes.. but lets also point out.. that transitional housing only lasts for a time for various reasons. I have patients currently worried because while they are in a shelter type situation.. and have ALREADY been approved for HUD.. subsidy. They are about have about 30 days more before the transitional housing runs out.. and they have just about 30 days before HUD says the apartment will be ready. So they may be living in their car or a tent for a few days.

So you think all 50 states was founded in the 1776?

Illinois wasn't a state till 1812 I think as an a example
Right..but it's hard to argue that in God we trust ..being put on a coin decades after the American revolution and many founders were passed or in their dotage is clear proof the us was" founded on Christianity ".

Recitivism rates in excess of 90%. How many times, how many resources, do we just keep banging out head against a wall?
Your proposal does not remotely address recidivism.

How does a country that is already 30 trillion in debt and climbing, that takes on a million LEGAL immigrants and is being deliberately flooded with another 2 million illegal immigrants a year just 'give' people a place to live, food, utilities, etc. We are already throwing $116 billion at illegal immigration care (actually...that was in 2017 so that cost has likely doubled). HUD estimates that if we 'just' 'give' $20 billion a year to the problem (at a cost of $34,483 per person-580,000 people) we can 'solve' homelessness...except we already spend near that much now and the problem is getting worse. Welfare spending alone in one year (2021) went $773 billion to $1,056 trillion Thats on TOP of the low income HUD budget and all the social programs currently being 'given'. California is dumping 300-400 million a year in San Francisco alone and the problem just keeps getting worse.

When you say 'give' you dont mean 'give'...you mean dump wrecklessness, carelessness, and fiscal stupidity on your grandchildren and great grandchildren for them to shoulder your load.
What is more expensive..
Housing the homeless in prisons and then having g to meet their food..medical etc needs.
Or housing them in public housing?

Please explain your answer.

That's fine too. Some sort of pay off the costs you burdened the taxpayers with, by performing work for the help you got after you get the help. But paying it off is mandatory.
No, getting them on their feet only to have them immediately bankrupt is not better.

Alcoholism isn't really the primary problem hitting the homeless population now, it is opioids. If people want help, there are programs, if they don't want help then my only goal is to make sure they aren't harming society. If you want to drink, smoke, snort your way to an early grave knock yourself out. Do it alone in the woods.

If by that you mean advanced degrees and a career working in finance? Look at NY state right now. They are offering huge incentives to manufacturers to relocate there. No one will take their money. Businesses don't want to open in these states, it is really that simple. Just look at where all the industrial production in this country is moving to and from.

Who said anything about forced? I was referring to a situation where a sitting judge gave convicts a choice.

Do you have anything of value to add, such as data?

That's not true at all. When courts interpret law they very often look at what the intent of the law was and they often look at the writings of the authors to get a glimpse into their thinking. If you are unaware of this, then you ought not be in this conversation in the first place.
. Intent of laws imho are largely meaningless compared to what it says and the effects of a law.

The opioid epidemic is largely caused by pharma companies and everyday prescriptions. Rehabilitation actually works in many countries that value rehabilitative and restorative justice.

Choice or no, rather it not be in the hands of the state.

Sure. https://www.apa.org/monitor/julaug03/rehab

Not only has the punitive model done shit all to curb recidivism, it actually churns out more dangerous criminals as it is something learned in prison where there is a substantial rape culture that is often the butt of jokes but it is very real.

The tough on crime ideology has created the mass incarceral state we have today and the brutal police culture.

The ones who are actually looking to get off the drugs should get treatment once or twice, after that they are a lost cause. If you aren't willing to get treatment then for all I care you can do all the drugs you want out in the woods. Let all the addicts go to some forgotten corner of each state....

"**** off and go die in a forgotten corner of the state".

That's some serious conservative "Christianity" right there. Would've been much easier for you to just say you haven't a single actual idea on what to do. So your default is to spin out in a rage at it all and offer nothing so you can cash in on your empty conservative tough guy creds.

Once again you are incorrect, sorry

The US was always, today and tomorrow a christian nation
Tomorrow?

Islam is the world's fastest growing religion in the world.

Yes.. but lets also point out.. that transitional housing only lasts for a time for various reasons. I have patients currently worried because while they are in a shelter type situation.. and have ALREADY been approved for HUD.. subsidy. They are about have about 30 days more before the transitional housing runs out.. and they have just about 30 days before HUD says the apartment will be ready. So they may be living in their car or a tent for a few days.
Well HUD is a whole different problem. HUD waiting lists can go for years.

What is your solution?
I think you have to have carrots and sticks.

1. We have to have more funding for HUD vouchers, community mental health centers and so on.

2. We don't need to go back to the days of institutionalization, but at the same time, it needs to be easier to get someone involuntarily committed to a mental health facility when it is obvious that they cannot take care of themselves.

3. We have to have clean parks, and clean public spaces. We cannot let homeless addicts trash inner city parks and green spaces.

Not just get a job. Be put to work for the housing and mental health help they need. It could be a government works program.
Try to put a schizophrenic not currently in remission to work. Good luck on that one.

What is more expensive..
Housing the homeless in prisons and then having g to meet their food..medical etc needs.
Or housing them in public housing?

Please explain your answer.
Why in the hell would I choose from your shit answers?

Brilliant, throw all of the homeless in prison, if they're private prisons, the institutions get paid by the state to keep those beds full. Business is good for the industry and no more unsightly ne'er do wells in public!
Yep. that's what I say. You'll soon see cleaned-up streets instead of Calcutta.

Yes.. but lets also point out.. that transitional housing only lasts for a time for various reasons. I have patients currently worried because while they are in a shelter type situation.. and have ALREADY been approved for HUD.. subsidy. They are about have about 30 days more before the transitional housing runs out.. and they have just about 30 days before HUD says the apartment will be ready

Yes.. but lets also point out.. that transitional housing only lasts for a time for various reasons. I have patients currently worried because while they are in a shelter type situation.. and have ALREADY been approved for HUD.. subsidy. They are about have about 30 days more before the transitional housing runs out.. and they have just about 30 days before HUD says the apartment will be ready
Can I ask you what state?

Most I read it takes years now a days

Brilliant, throw all of the homeless in prison, if they're private prisons, the institutions get paid by the state to keep those beds full. Business is good for the industry and no more unsightly ne'er do wells in public!
Criminalizing behavior doesn't make it go away, and in some cases it can make things worse.

For example, how much harder do you think it'll be for someone to get a job so they can afford to rent or buy a home once they have a felony conviction for being homeless on their record?

I suppose if you had integrity? Honesty? Willingness to think or learn? Willingness to have an honest discussion of a complex subject rather than just spout ideological nonsense?

You have absolutely no solutions but you clearly think you have a gotcha talking point dontcha?

Nevermind that providing housing and rehab is loads cheaper than imprisonment.

Reactive cons come with their bitching but never a solution.

Rehab yes, housing no. Housing drug addicts is a fruitless endeavor. Drug addicts don’t care about housing, they care about avoiding becoming sick. They’ll sell the drywall if their housing for drugs. For drug addicts and the mentally illin the most dire of situations I think forced rehab/in-patient psychiatric treatment or jail is the only way to help. For those that are homeless because they’re down on their luck, it’s definitely more affordable to get them back on their feet.

Fill in your own answer, then. Can't wait to see the deliberate cruelty you come up with!

Yep. that's what I say. You'll soon see cleaned-up streets instead of Calcutta.
Sure, shove more people into prisons, that'll make things better! For-profit prisons, too, to make sure the taxpayers pay that much extra for it all. Best of all, a prison record makes it even less likely that people get back on their feet, so odds are they'll end up in that for-profit prison again.

Your motives aren't hard to figure out.

Sure, shove more people into prisons, that'll make things better! For-profit prisons, too, to make sure the taxpayers pay that much extra for it all. Best of all, a prison record makes it even less likely that people get back on their feet, so odds are they'll end up in that for-profit prison again.

Your motives aren't hard to figure out.

Back
Top Bottom