• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Homeless camps on public land will be felony in TN

Fill in your own answer, then. Can't wait to see the deliberate cruelty you come up with!
Enforcing borders and immigration law is cruelty to you? When a nation cant take carenof its own citizens and is racking up mountains of debt in the process, bringing in 4 times the number of homeless people we have to deal with in the form of illegal immigrants every year is just ****ing…stupid. And ive already posted what i would do to stimulate economic growth in the cities. The amount of spending I would press for makes most liberals blush. Theres a difference between effective spending and shit policies that fuel the kind of homeless problems we are seeing nationwide. We already know…just dumping money on a problem doesnt resolve the problem.

Welcome to adulting.

If you live in an affluent community with good schools, a solid tax base, and a safe community the last thing you are going to do is look to change that negatively. That's just human nature. People don't voluntarily harm their families for some ideological goal.

You post quite a bit of effluent.

Can I ask you what state?

Most I read it takes years now a days
Its a very rural state. where my patient lives the wait period is about 6 months.
It used to be 2 months about three years ago.

Enforcing borders and immigration law is cruelty to you? When a nation cant take carenof its own citizens and is racking up mountains of debt in the process, bringing in 4 times the number of homeless people we have to deal with in the form of illegal immigrants every year is just ****ing…stupid. And ive already posted what i would do to stimulate economic growth in the cities. The amount of spending I would press for makes most liberals blush. Theres a difference between effective spending and shit policies that fuel the kind of homeless problems we are seeing nationwide. We already know…just dumping money on a problem doesnt resolve the problem.
Umm..
Todays homeless are mostly black.
Not "4x the number of homeless people we have to deal with in the form of illegal immigrants every year".

"A new Housing and Urban Development report said blacks make up nearly half of the homeless population, despite comprising only 13% of the population.

An estimated 568,000 people experienced homelessness in a single night in the United States in 2019, according to the Annual Homeless Assessment Report presented to Congress earlier this week.

That's an increase from 553,000 in 2018. Those going through chronic patterns of homelessness rose 9% from 2018 to 2019. A majority, 40%, were black.

Although the total number of homeless families declined by 5% between 2018 and 2019, 52% of homeless families in 2019 were black. Those numbers remain virtually unchanged from 2018.

Whites, who make up 77% of the population, accounted for 48% of homeless people in 2019. Those who identify as Hispanic or Latino make up about 18% of the population, but 22% of homeless people were part of this group, according to the report."

Typical Leftist advice from a comedian. Can't stand the thought of people spending their own money as they choose when it can be taken from them by an overreaching government to be used by the welfare state in another vote buying scheme. After all section 8 housing on a golf course surrounded by multi million dollar homes is a real incentive to work. Right?

Lovely racial stereotype of old white men plotting to steal money being the only ones playing golf. Can't be a Democrat without demogoguery. It's not divisive and toxic when the Left does it
Well maybe not eliminate golf courses altogether, but set up little cabins for the homeless in the rough, between fairways. But really, all that land is used for a few minutes at a time, a few hours a day, when foursomes hit balls, then follow them, with getting in and out of carts the toughest exercise of the day. Any sport when you can smoke and drink while doing it is a poor excuse for a sport.

Well maybe not eliminate golf courses altogether, but set up little cabins for the homeless in the rough, between fairways. But really, all that land is used for a few minutes at a time, a few hours a day, when foursomes hit balls, then follow them, with getting in and out of carts the toughest exercise of the day. Any sport when you can smoke and drink while doing it is a poor excuse for a sport.
Eliminate golf courses? Great idea!

Especially in desert areas suffering from drought. The entire southwest USA.

Umm..
Not "4x the number of homeless people we have to deal with in the form of illegal immigrants every year".

"A new Housing and Urban Development report said blacks make up nearly half of the homeless population, despite comprising only 13% of the population.

An estimated 568,000 people experienced homelessness in a single night in the United States in 2019, according to the Annual Homeless Assessment Report presented to Congress earlier this week.

That's an increase from 553,000 in 2018. Those going through chronic patterns of homelessness rose 9% from 2018 to 2019. A majority, 40%, were black.

Although the total number of homeless families declined by 5% between 2018 and 2019, 52% of homeless families in 2019 were black. Those numbers remain virtually unchanged from 2018.

Whites, who make up 77% of the population, accounted for 48% of homeless people in 2019. Those who identify as Hispanic or Latino make up about 18% of the population, but 22% of homeless people were part of this group, according to the report."
seriously...who the **** cares about the race of the homless people? Why are you even trying to make this a racial issue in the first place? What i care about is the idiotic actions by both Obama and Biden to bring in millions and millions of illegal immigrants a year when we cant fix our own problems and take care of our own people. Thats just totally ****ing stupid.

I live just south of Nashville in the most affluent town in the state. When I moved here 14 years ago there was never homeless beggers running around. Now they are at every highway on-off ramp, major intersections, everywhere. They step in front of cars in traffic, they have drug camps popping up, we just had a cop get stabbed when approaching a homeless camp. This isn't about a lack of economic opportunity, these camps are surrounded by help wanted signs for jobs offering $17-18/hr all over the place. You talk to the police, the hospital admin, the shelter operators, they are almost all addicts. Sorry, but the state has an obligation to do something when they represent a public safety issue.
I don't know about the situation in the US, or how it may vary from state to state, but in the UK to get a job you need an address and a bank account. Criminalising the homeless is an appalling and, frankly, idiotic idea. Then again we're discussing Tennessee; not the most culturally advanced state of the Union.

Umm..

That's not true. It is disproportionately black, but not the majority.

I don't know about the situation in the US, or how it may vary from state to state, but in the UK to get a job you need an address and a bank account. Criminalising the homeless is an appalling and, frankly, idiotic idea. Then again we're discussing Tennessee; not the most culturally advanced state of the Union.

Ok, so someone who "doesn't know the situation" and isn't from the country is opining about regional laws in the US? That's neat.

seriously...who the **** cares about the race of the homless people? Why are you even trying to make this a racial issue in the first place? What i care about is the idiotic actions by both Obama and Biden to bring in millions and millions of illegal immigrants a year when we cant fix our own problems and take care of our own people. Thats just totally ****ing stupid.
Well..you should care if you cared about being accurate.
You just claimed we were letting 4x the number of homeless people in the form of illegal immigrants.
The most prevalent race of homeless are black.
Somehow I doubt you are going to claim the illegals coming in to the us are predominantly black.
Look..I get it.. the right wingers cant think for themselves and try to understand complex problems. That's why everything to them has to boil down to a few memes..

Ok, so someone who "doesn't know the situation" and isn't from the country is opining about regional laws in the US? That's neat.
1. Fine. But my point stands.

No, getting them on their feet only to have them immediately bankrupt is not better.
Is there ever going to be a point, on any issue, where you come down on the side of personal responsibility and NOT excuses the people making the choice?
Every single posting about this has been a shifting of blame, and excuses as to why something can't be done.

No one said a thing about bankrupting them, they can pay it off over the next thirty years, I don't care how long it takes, but paying it off would be mandatory to get me on board with helping front the bill.
This current law has them in jail, would you rather that happen?

Try to put a schizophrenic not currently in remission to work. Good luck on that one.
Yes, good luck.
The answer to those folks is to put them in jail or in a mental hospital, but then they are no longer free to do the drugs and live on the streets harassing people.

That is incarceration. You can't just move people in your scenario; they'd simply move back. You'd have to contain them - which is expensive.

We can’t have clean public property; they’d simply camp and dump trash on it. ;)

We can’t require a drivers license, vehicle registration and insurance; they’d just drive anyway. ;)

Yes, good luck.
The answer to those folks is to put them in jail or in a mental hospital, but then they are no longer free to do the drugs and live on the streets harassing people.
"Are there no prisons? Are there no workhouses?"

Well..you should care if you cared about being accurate.
You just claimed we were letting 4x the number of homeless people in the form of illegal immigrants.
The most prevalent race of homeless are black.
Somehow I doubt you are going to claim the illegals coming in to the us are predominantly black.
Look..I get it.. the right wingers cant think for themselves and try to understand complex problems. That's why everything to them has to boil down to a few memes..
Holy ****, dood...you make the stupidest arguments. This has literally **** all to do with race...yet there you are...a typical leftist insisting that every argument, every topic, every problem...you cant ****ing exist if you cant shriek "racist!!!"

They should bring back the traditional almshouses for the homeless.

I have exactly the same access to media reports in and about the US as you do. Where do you get your news from? I asked a simple question; no need to get snarky and defensive. Next time I notice you opining about anything outside bubble America, I'll be sure to remind you of this post. Ok with that?

I have exactly the same access to media reports in and about the US as you do. Where do you get your news from? I asked a simple question; no need to get snarky and defensive. Next time I notice you opining about anything outside bubble America, I'll be sure to remind you of this post. Ok with that?

You opined about the backwardness of the state of Tennessee, which I imagine you have never even visited. That's a rather ignorant position to take. I am certain the news we read differs dramatically since I read regional and local news as well that you are almost certainly not aware of in the UK, nor would I expect you to be.

If you catch me commenting about local domestic affairs of another state, by all means feel free to return the favor. I don't make a habit of doing so.

"Are there no prisons? Are there no workhouses?"
If they cannot be productive members of society, maybe you can house them if you'd rather.
Or use one of the options I just told you. Schizophrenics can be dangerous, not just unproductive and they should be under treatment. If as bad as you say and unable to perform menial work, then they need to be locked up, under treatment.

So where did they go if it wasn't for Reagan?
From the article:

"So when you hear the argument that Reagan closed the mental health facilities, ask the name of one health facility that Reagan actually closed. And when it closed. And how he closed it. And if you hear that Reagan closed it by extenuation of a funding cut, ask which particular bill he signed into law specified that particular facility be closed.

Or is it a case that bipartisan governments at the state and federal levels attempted to improve healthcare treatment and that bipartisan governments within the states screwed things up so badly that individual departments of health closed down less effective facilities? You will have lost the typical liberal at the word bipartisan."

Aside from this let's assume that individual states (not the federal government) wanted to re-institute mental health facilities and put homeless people into them. How could they do that? My understanding is that unless someone is a danger to themselves or society, they cannot be instituted. That being the case, even if Reagan closed hospitals, it is irrelevant because people can't be forced into a hospital UNLESS they have been deemed to be a danger. Who determines that and for how long can they be put away? All this talk about people with guns is just a sideshow. The same thing with crazy people. Who decides who is crazy? Who knows if this Salvador guy or someone else is going to commit mass murder tomorrow? If we lock up everyone that some shrink thinks MANY be a danger to society, it would cost trillions and I'm afraid that liberals would lock people away who said they like guns and conservatives would throw away the key if they said they were a Jesus freak. The ACLU would put a halt to sending homeless people to "special places" or those who didn't pose any outward threats to themselves or society.

Back
Top Bottom