• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every persons position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Home schooling and sports

Schweddy

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
DP Veteran
Joined
May 19, 2004
Messages
12,177
Reaction score
6,280
Location
Plano, TX
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Should home schooled children be allowed to play in sports in the public system?

Same school district.
 

bryanf

Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2004
Messages
80
Reaction score
1
Location
The great battleground state of Ohio
There are some districts that provide for that. I've known a couple of home schooled students who played football (or basketball) on the public school team.

It should be allowed, since we are paying the taxes to support those programs, anyway.
 

Schweddy

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
DP Veteran
Joined
May 19, 2004
Messages
12,177
Reaction score
6,280
Location
Plano, TX
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
I have to agree.

To my knowledge it is not allowed in Texas (I hope I am wrong).
 

Pacridge

DP Veteran
Joined
Nov 14, 2004
Messages
3,918
Reaction score
9
Location
Pacific Northwest US
I can't for the life of me think of a reason why allowing them to engage in school sports would be denied. I'm sure someone with a mind greater than mine could come up with something. But isn't that one of the compliants I hear about home school opponents, that the children don't have social interaction. Wouldn't this add to that interaction? What would be the arguement against? As bryanf points out- they're already paying taxes. So???
 

bryanf

Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2004
Messages
80
Reaction score
1
Location
The great battleground state of Ohio
Pacridge said:
...isn't that one of the complaints I hear about home school opponents, that the children don't have social interaction. Wouldn't this add to that interaction? What would be the arguement against?
Indeed, Pacridge, sports programs, band activities, or any other extracurricular activities are an excellent opportunity for socialization. I can't come up with a decent argument against that involvement.

However, I am compelled to respond to those complaints from home school opponents. Home schoolers often enter the "real" world much more ready to interact with people in a responsible, mature manner than kids who grew up spending 6 hours a day, 5 or 6 days a week with a few hundred kids their own age, because they typically spend more of their time interacting with people in the "real" world. ;-)
 

Pacridge

DP Veteran
Joined
Nov 14, 2004
Messages
3,918
Reaction score
9
Location
Pacific Northwest US
bryanf said:
Indeed, Pacridge, sports programs, band activities, or any other extracurricular activities are an excellent opportunity for socialization. I can't come up with a decent argument against that involvement.

However, I am compelled to respond to those complaints from home school opponents. Home schoolers often enter the "real" world much more ready to interact with people in a responsible, mature manner than kids who grew up spending 6 hours a day, 5 or 6 days a week with a few hundred kids their own age, because they typically spend more of their time interacting with people in the "real" world. ;-)
Plus it seems like you have more one on one time with whom ever was teaching. That in and of itself would have to be good.

Whats so great about the "real" world anyway?
 

Rhadamanthus

Member
Joined
Dec 29, 2004
Messages
186
Reaction score
2
Location
Alaska
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
In school socialization occurs betwean people of very similar ages, experiences, and mental capabilities. Homeschoolers get the chance to talk to people outside of one scene. They get to interact with people on differant levels of the social ladder. Something that people in school don't get as much of.
 
Last edited:

jcueckert13

Member
Joined
Jun 30, 2004
Messages
79
Reaction score
0
Location
edgewood nm
i know that where i went to high school if you where home schooled you could go to the public high school to take art, ceramics, rotc, or any other elective and you would be able to play sports.
 

Rhadamanthus

Member
Joined
Dec 29, 2004
Messages
186
Reaction score
2
Location
Alaska
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
in fact it is possible for students that are part of a home school program to take several differant classes of their choice at the school of their choice. The limit for one of the Alaskan programs called IDEA is four. That is the only program i found information on but i believe that it is somewhere around that for all of them.
 
J

Jufarius87

this has compelled me to share my story

you guys are absolutly correct and all matter discussed in this forum

i was home schooled beginning in 4th grade the main reason being i was a social out cast 1-2 yrs beforehand i had witnessed my grandfathers death from a heart attack and it left me mentally scarred and socially i became a reject

homeschool allowed me to get a good education and collect my self mentally i went back to regular school in 11th grade and i did fine having increased time with mature adults is a better way to be raised then being thrown into a group of equally immature people who are in age your peers

also yes school tax everyone pays it so it is our right to use school programs
 

Gabo

Active member
Joined
Jan 17, 2005
Messages
336
Reaction score
1
Schools should be privatized.

That is all. :rolleyes:
 

HighSpeed

Member
Joined
Feb 7, 2005
Messages
72
Reaction score
1
Location
Chicago, IL
They should be allowed to play sports with the public shool sports programs. There will be drawbacks on the socialization process with the other students though.
 

Gabo

Active member
Joined
Jan 17, 2005
Messages
336
Reaction score
1
Or they could just make all schools private.... :rolleyes:
 

anomaly

Anti-Capitalist
DP Veteran
Joined
Jan 20, 2005
Messages
1,020
Reaction score
6
Location
IN
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
This is my case for public schools: It gives all students (theoretically) an equal start. Everyone in a public school has (or is atleast supposed to have) an equal chance as every other kid in public school. No doubt reforms are needed in order to make this truer, but the concept is great.
 

Gabo

Active member
Joined
Jan 17, 2005
Messages
336
Reaction score
1
anomaly said:
This is my case for public schools: It gives all students (theoretically) an equal start. Everyone in a public school has (or is atleast supposed to have) an equal chance as every other kid in public school. No doubt reforms are needed in order to make this truer, but the concept is great.
In other words, those who excel are held back to the place those who struggle are at. Great minds are forced to be bored with a slow pace, which often leads to other ways of venting, like bad behavior.

Public schools don't give an equal chance, anyways, and its impossible to do. There will always be better schools, that have richer neighborhoods around them. There will also always be a variety of teaching types.


The best way to allow for equal opportunity in life is to let everyone live on their own. Make their own decisions, reap their own rewards or consequences.
 

anomaly

Anti-Capitalist
DP Veteran
Joined
Jan 20, 2005
Messages
1,020
Reaction score
6
Location
IN
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Gabo said:
In other words, those who excel are held back to the place those who struggle are at. Great minds are forced to be bored with a slow pace, which often leads to other ways of venting, like bad behavior.

Public schools don't give an equal chance, anyways, and its impossible to do. There will always be better schools, that have richer neighborhoods around them. There will also always be a variety of teaching types.


The best way to allow for equal opportunity in life is to let everyone live on their own. Make their own decisions, reap their own rewards or consequences.
Have you ever heard of honors classes? If you are smart, go into that class. There are also slower tracks for kids who aren't as smart. You're right about the rich neighborhoods getting better schools (usually) now, but this can be corrected without privatisation. Regarding teachers, yes there are a variety of teaching types, but even at very good schools there are bad teachers, and even in the finest private school, there are good and bad teachers. If you privatise all schools, they will eventually resemble colleges. That is, intelligence will be important, but what will be even more important is how much money the child's parents have. The differing costs mean that some genius children won't be able to afford any schools, while some very dumb kids will be able to afford very good schools. If you privatise schools, you will see the mean and median test scores drop along with the literacy rate.
 

anomaly

Anti-Capitalist
DP Veteran
Joined
Jan 20, 2005
Messages
1,020
Reaction score
6
Location
IN
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Gabo said:
I had a whole explanation written out, but I accidentally closed the window. :(


So, please just refer to these links:
http://www.cato.org/pubs/pas/pa-486es.html
http://www.cato.org/research/articles/jr.-021124.html
http://www.cato.org/pub_display.php?pub_id=892&full=1

Private schools are less expensive, higher quality, and innovative.

Public schools are...... deteriorating.
Not the cato institute again! If your so interested in competition, why not let your private schools continue to compete with public schools?
 

Gabo

Active member
Joined
Jan 17, 2005
Messages
336
Reaction score
1
anomaly said:
Not the cato institute again! If your so interested in competition, why not let your private schools continue to compete with public schools?
Fine with me, so long as all people who pay for and attend private schools pay absolutely nothing to the public ones. This is only fair for real competition.
 

anomaly

Anti-Capitalist
DP Veteran
Joined
Jan 20, 2005
Messages
1,020
Reaction score
6
Location
IN
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Gabo said:
Fine with me, so long as all people who pay for and attend private schools pay absolutely nothing to the public ones. This is only fair for real competition.
Again, when you pay your taxes, how can you really know how much is going to schools? That's very complicated.
 

Gabo

Active member
Joined
Jan 17, 2005
Messages
336
Reaction score
1
anomaly said:
Again, when you pay your taxes, how can you really know how much is going to schools? That's very complicated.
You can't really know.

So the fairest way would be vouchers, I guess (which A LOT of people want).

The only other thing they need to do is stop overregulating private schools.
 

freedom69714

Banned
Joined
Jan 14, 2005
Messages
211
Reaction score
2
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Hi Vague without any doubt YES all children should be allowed to play in SPORTS Wheather he / she is HOME school or if he /she has no talent in sports !.

I can't stand it when a CHILD is not allow to play baseball , football , socker

Just because he / she has NO TALENT the whole idea is to have FUN , Do your BEST, and GET SOME EXERCISE, I'm sure a lot of you may disagree with me on this MATTER I'm not surprised I have always been an independent THINKER and I'm not going to stop now!
 

Chaos10187

Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2005
Messages
57
Reaction score
0
Freedom69 said:
Hi Vague without any doubt YES all children should be allowed to play in SPORTS Wheather he / she is HOME school or if he /she has no talent in sports !.

I can't stand it when a CHILD is not allow to play baseball , football , socker

Just because he / she has NO TALENT the whole idea is to have FUN , Do your BEST, and GET SOME EXERCISE, I'm sure a lot of you may disagree with me on this MATTER I'm not surprised I have always been an independent THINKER and I'm not going to stop now!
Dont the organizations that are head of Home Schooling, have organized sports?
 

Rhadamanthus

Member
Joined
Dec 29, 2004
Messages
186
Reaction score
2
Location
Alaska
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Nope. the organisations basic job is to give the govornment money that would go to the school strait to the family. Or that's it in a nutshell. But they do not have their own organised sports. Home schoolers can do things like a swim club outside of school but there is nothing for homeschoolers by homeschoolers.
 
Top Bottom