• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Home Depot worker wore 'America Was Never Great' cap

MickeyW

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
NEW YORK (AP) — Home Depot says one of its New York City stores will take steps to ensure employees aren’t promoting political messages at work after one wore a cap opposing a Donald Trump slogan.

The Staten Island Advance newspaper says the action was prompted after an image of an employee wearing the cap went viral Wednesday.

Krystal Lake says she went to work wearing a hat that read “America Was Never Great,” a twist on the presumptive Republican presidential nominee’s slogan “Make America Great Again.”

GOPUSA ? Home Depot worker wore 'America Was Never Great' cap

Typical Black, liberal New Yawker. And an idiot. She has it better here than anywhere in the world and does not respect or appreciate what she has!

Does anyone else see the irony in the "Now Hiring" pin she's wearing??

But seriously...
If her claim that pro-Trump pins and pendants is true, then HD may have a tough time with this one. They have every right to implement a new policy that forbids all political expression at work, but if they are only forbidding certain ones, then they could be facing some trouble. It brings up the question of how far a company can go in this arena. If you can tell your employees that you support Hillary (because she represents the core beliefs of your company) and if they wear a Trump t-shirt, they will be fired, since that t-shirt shows that you don't believe in the companies core beliefs, is that a violation of the employee's rights?? Is allowing someone to wear the Trump t-shirt without any repercussions a violation of the company's rights to ensure that their employees conform to their core beliefs?? This could easily blow up into a ****storm of a legal case....

Typical Black, liberal New Yawker. And an idiot. She has it better here than anywhere in the world and does not respect or appreciate what she has!

She has the right to free speech, too.

Sorry she triggered you, bro. Come over and I'll give you a hug and a safe space.

Does anyone else see the irony in the "Now Hiring" pin she's wearing??

But seriously...
If her claim that pro-Trump pins and pendants is true, then HD may have a tough time with this one. They have every right to implement a new policy that forbids all political expression at work, but if they are only forbidding certain ones, then they could be facing some trouble. It brings up the question of how far a company can go in this arena. If you can tell your employees that you support Hillary (because she represents the core beliefs of your company) and if they wear a Trump t-shirt, they will be fired, since that t-shirt shows that you don't believe in the companies core beliefs, is that a violation of the employee's rights?? Is allowing someone to wear the Trump t-shirt without any repercussions a violation of the company's rights to ensure that their employees conform to their core beliefs?? This could easily blow up into a ****storm of a legal case....

Can Employers Do That? Turns Out, They Can: Exploring Workers' Rights : NPR

Not at work she doesn't. Or framed another way, freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from firing because of said speech.

Interesting read. It got me doing a little research into unlawful termination laws and there isn't much to them. An employer can pretty much just fire you for any or no reason and it's OK. Which amazes me, because most companies take a lot of steps to avoid unlawful termination law suits. I always knew that there isn't a whole lot that employers had to do in order to fire someone, but I always assumed that there were some guidelines. Outside of a very short list of exceptions (employment contract, jury duty, military service, whistleblower cases, etc.), an employer is pretty much allowed to fire you for anything. In the case of the OP, it sounds like HD can fire her tomorrow and she has no legal recourse. They just hand her a "pink slip" and a her final check and tell her that her services are no longer needed.

Not at work she doesn't. Or framed another way, freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from firing because of said speech.

Then HD needs to make it a company policy.

If she was white do you think she would've gotten the same attention?

Then HD needs to make it a company policy.

If she was white do you think she would've gotten the same attention?

No they don't. According to NY state employment law they just have to warn her that wearing the hat is bad for business. She does it again they can fire her. AND unless she's under contract they don't even have to give her hours, they can cut her back to five hours a week if they want.

As to that last, yes, I absolutely think her skin color would have nothing to do with this.

I Googled Krystal Lake Home Depot in an attempt to find out which store she works in. None of the stories mentions her place of employment.

But the Google search did refer me to a Home Depot store located in Crystal Lake, Illinois!

Funny twist.

No they don't. According to NY state employment law they just have to warn her that wearing the hat is bad for business. She does it again they can fire her. AND unless she's under contract they don't even have to give her hours, they can cut her back to five hours a week if they want.
If other employees were wearing pro Trump pins then perhaps they need to make it a policy...in writing.

As to that last, yes, I absolutely think her skin color would have nothing to do with this.

Tell that to MickeyW.

I Googled Krystal Lake Home Depot in an attempt to find out which store she works in. None of the stories mentions her place of employment.

But the Google search did refer me to a Home Depot store located in Crystal Lake, Illinois!

Funny twist.

The article said it was one of their stores in New York City.

Just another leftist slamming the country. Typical.

Yeah...one in Staten Island. Not sure if they have several there or not.

The "Staten Island Advance" is a newspaper that reported the story. That doesn't mean that is where the store is located. NYC is on Manhattan Island.

The "Staten Island Advance" is a newspaper that reported the story. That doesn't mean that is where the store is located. NYC is on Manhattan Island.

Staten Island is part of New York City...and LARGER than Manhattan Island.

Just another leftist slamming the country. Typical.

Trump is claiming that America isn't great anymore. That's a slam against America.

And her company has the right to firing her for displaying it.
Just like at the company I work for that makes products. If a customer comes in, ready to buy thousands of product X, I don't really have the right to my free speech in telling said customer "You know Company X actually makes Product X much better!" and expect to keep my job.
Everyone has freedoms. They just aren't free.

And her company has the right to firing her for displaying it.
Just like at the company I work for that makes products. If a customer comes in, ready to buy thousands of product X, I don't really have the right to my free speech in telling said customer "You know Company X actually makes Product X much better!" and expect to keep my job.
Everyone has freedoms. They just aren't free.

I doubt they will fire her...but they might giver her and the other employees a warning.

Back
Top Bottom