• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Hiigh School should continue until 25 years of age.

Uzidoesit

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Since we live such longer lives, it seems to me that high school education should last until at least age 25. That way, since most post teens don't have a really good idea of how they want to make their living, this will give them time to think things over for a longer period of time and put their expensive, college education to waste.

I'd make this the post-teen years something like community college, but more elaborate and with the chance to live on campus.

Anyone else think this might be a good idea?

I went to work when I was 19 years old and went to college part time. I was a "jack of all trades" and master of none. I really didn't have a good idea of what I wanted to be "when I grew up" and there are lots of kids who are like this.

Since we live such longer lives, it seems to me that high school education should last until at least age 25. That way, since most post teens don't have a really good idea of how they want to make their living, this will give them time to think things over for a longer period of time and put their expensive, college education to waste.

I'd make this the post-teen years something like community college, but more elaborate and with the chance to live on campus.

I went to work when I was 19 years old and went to college part time. I was a "jack of all trades" and master of none. I really didn't have a good idea of what I wanted to be "when I grew up" and there are lots of kids who are like this.

i know many parents who would completely disagree with you. there may be a lot of kids who don't know what they want, but they can figure it out while they are supporting themsleves.

Another solution would be to pay for college tuition through taxes. European countries I believe do this. This would actually in my opinion better the economy because once the education is finished, each person would have more spending power in the economy compared to having a second mortgage.

To extend High School would be to lengthen the emotional and intellectual umbilical cord to the state and be unduly burdensome to the taxpayer in providing that education. Moreover, it would provide an excuse for every lazy, good for nothing interloper who wants to delay living in the real world.

To extend High School would be to lengthen the emotional and intellectual umbilical cord to the state and be unduly burdensome to the taxpayer in providing that education. Moreover, it would provide an excuse for every lazy, good for nothing interloper who wants to delay living in the real world.

Well, people mature at different rates. Not everyone knows that say, they want to be a doctor, lawyer or Indian Chief by the time that they are say, 16 and ofcourse, there shouldn't be a stigma for those who mature later than those who mature and know what they want earlier in life. I think that kids who at the age of 16 to 18 should be given the benefit of the doubt and allow more education time for those who need to do so. It only makes sense to try and stop churning out kids who took courses for the sake of expedience but not because they felt they truly fit into the course load that they took, and took too early.

I bet there are lots of post teens who probably felt they were "robbed" being that their college education came too early for them and has rendered them having a degree that isn't worth a whole lot for their future, in rhe scope of things.

...I don't think so. 13 years in public education was more than enough for me. Children should be exposed to a variety of "elective" programs during high school to help them decide what they enjoy/might want to base a career on, but extending public school to 25 is just ridiculous. It would also cause a HUGE gap in skilled workers unless implemented slowly, and it'll cost an extremely large amount of money (that doesn't exist) to fund.

Well, people mature at different rates. Not everyone knows that say, they want to be a doctor, lawyer or Indian Chief by the time that they are say, 16 and ofcourse, there shouldn't be a stigma for those who mature later than those who mature and know what they want earlier in life. I think that kids who at the age of 16 to 18 should be given the benefit of the doubt and allow more education time for those who need to do so. It only makes sense to try and stop churning out kids who took courses for the sake of expedience but not because they felt they truly fit into the course load that they took, and took too early.

I bet there are lots of post teens who probably felt they were "robbed" being that their college education came too early for them and has rendered them having a degree that isn't worth a whole lot for their future, in rhe scope of things.

why do they need more education time? they can get a job while they are trying to "find themselves".

Another solution would be to pay for college tuition through taxes. European countries I believe do this. This would actually in my opinion better the economy because once the education is finished, each person would have more spending power in the economy compared to having a second mortgage.

I like that idea for state colleges but not so much for private ones. Private should be private and the costs associated with them might make for disparity between kids who can afford private and/or public colleges and there is enough educational disparities between someone who goes to Rutgers say, and someone who goes to college at Princeton. I don't think that a Princeton education could be made equitable in any sense of the meaning.

why do they need more education time? they can get a job while they are trying to "find themselves".

Once you get a taste of earning your own money and being independent, it's really easy to forfeit one's future for the expedience of having a "paid job".

You know, sorta like, "how are we going to keep them down on the farm after they have seen Pareeee".

Once you get a taste of earning your own money and being independent, it's really easy to forfeit one's future for the expedience of having a "paid job".

You know, sorta like, "how are we going to keep them down on the farm after they have seen Pareeee".

except by that time we ARE talking about adults. and sometimes, the reality of a low paying job will sure as **** help them decide to further their education.

I prefer the university, thank you very much.

Strongly disagree. If anything, public education should be accelerated such that children reach economic independence by the time they hit puberty. What's really needed is a more disciplined culture where people focus on their studies instead of the popularity contest.

I am a "go out in the world grasshopper" type of guy. There can be nothing gained by sitting on a mushroom of education "thinking your way through your career". For the 16 to 18 year old who does not know what to take for a college degree I suggest get out and work. Intern in an industry that appeals to them, for example. That type of practical experience is what guides a soul, not contemplating life in the hallowed halls of a high school.

I am also all for letting kids who don't desire a college education to be part of a apprentice program. No one should graduate from high school without a way to earn a decent living.

It doesn't make any sense and is probably one of the reasons there are so many people who are indigent and/or in jail. I am not going to get into who thinks what is enough or not enough income to keep ones head above water, being so subjective, but I doubt many people who make anywhere near minimum wage ISNT earning a living wage. Slave labor wages is a lot of what isn't right about the USofA.

As the saying goes, "if I do not make sure my kids have a trade, it is like giving them a license to steal."

I am also all for letting kids who don't desire a college education to be part of a apprentice program. No one should graduate from high school without a way to earn a decent living.

There are many high schools with programs such as this. College is not for everybody and college right out of high school is not the greatest idea IMO...:)

Terrible idea.
To me that's an argument for SHORTENING the time in school. The faster you get out of a structured system that tells you what to do, the faster you get the experience to direct your own goals and energy. You can't grow up in school.

And our economy would be destroyed if we removed most of the work force from 18 to 25 by keeping them in school spinning their wheels. Do you know the economic cost of that? Its got to be staggering.

How do you account for the ones like my younger son who knows exactly what he wants to do: Play horn and be a music teacher.

An extra seven years of high school won't do him a bit of good.

Strongly disagree. If anything, public education should be accelerated such that children reach economic independence by the time they hit puberty. What's really needed is a more disciplined culture where people focus on their studies instead of the popularity contest.

I agree. We need more trades taught to kids aat younger ages. Teaching Algebra to most of the population is an absolute waste of time. Same with most subjects past the freshman year. We should teach kids to read and write and do basic mathematics and then get them into trades. Engines. Farming. Computers. Wood. Metal. Construction. Etc

For those that want to continue... they can. If one wants to become a doctor they could easily just sign up for what I would make the alternative courses, the "options". That would be biology, chemistry, accounting, economics, law and etc.

How do you account for the ones like my younger son who knows exactly what he wants to do: Play horn and be a music teacher.

An extra seven years of high school won't do him a bit of good.

Not just the extra years... but all the extra subjects. I already know that my 6 year old will be in the arts. She is one of the most artistic kids that her teachers have ever seen. Cool. If she wants to do something else, that is cool and up to her, but I can already see that doing algebra (I know I am picking on that one) won't help her design her art. She already dislikes maths... why force it?

No. We baby young adults too long already.

Not to mention, if I'd been forced to continue High School until age 25, I think I would have shot myself in the brainpan.

I think that regular classes would be fine for those who wish to keep with the standard course of events that lead to graduation at 18; but having an alternative might serve the ones who aren't as sure of what they wish to do.

I hate to see kids fall between the cracks because they weren't able to make decisions that would have permanent ramifications, for the rest of their lives.

It's been very hard for the unemployed to go back to school, for instance. Things certainly change, and faster than ever.

I guess it's always been a good thing, to have a day job in which you don't have to quit, until such time as you figure out what it is one really wants to do.

I am aware that there are loads of peeps over 30 and on and on, who don't truly know "what they are going to be when they grow up".

I was in school when the "big three" were what most (not all, but most), women did after high school, that being, a nurse, a teacher or a secretary. There, of course, were the "oddball" doctor, lawyer, engineer, but women didn't have the opportunities that they now enjoy and that's a good thing.

The "wild card" was to stay home and raise kids and keep house.

This wasn't so very long ago, in the scope of things.

I'm willing to to support more taxpayer-funded education assistance for qualified high-school graduations-- and relaxing income restrictions, especially the "expected contribution" of the parents-- but mandatory education and artificial adolescence are already too long. They should be shortened, not extended.

I'm willing to to support more taxpayer-funded education assistance for qualified high-school graduations-- and relaxing income restrictions, especially the "expected contribution" of the parents-- but mandatory education and artificial adolescence are already too long. They should be shortened, not extended.

If you are talking about more federally taxpayer-funded education assistance, then I'd have to say...no thanks. I'd prefer the federal government reduce the number of fingers it has in the various pies...not increase them.

Back
Top Bottom