• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Here's a radical suggestion for the $20 bill!

I don't know how many people on the right you talk to, my facebook feed is blowing up with memes asking to support putting "gun toting Christian republican Harriet Tubman on the 20"

How about reading the rest of the posts on this thread and see the one thing those opposed to the change share - it's that their political lean is to the right.

I see your post...and then I see your claimed political lean, and bear in mind many of your posts in the past. That tells me much.

Originally Posted by Paleocon

Keep Jackson on the bill.
The ironical thing is - Jackson really, really hated the idea of paper money. I mean really.

He's probably still rolling over in his grave at the thought of his mug being on paper currency.

Nonetheless, before Jackson replaced Cleveland, here's some other folks who were on the 20, some you know, some of which I'll bet you never heard of...:

Abraham-Lincoln.jpg

Abraham Lincoln - Yup, on the 20, while he was alive! (the Civil War was when we first saw greenbacks.)

Alexander Hamilton...

And this guy:
Daniel-Manning.jpg

Daniel Manning – (you ever hear of him?) 37th Secretary of the Treasurer.

How about him?
Hugh-McCulloch.jpg

Hugh McCulloch – First comptroller of the currency.

James Garfield
(assassinated president)

John-Marshall.jpg

John Marshall – Supreme Court Justice
Stephen-Decatur.jpg

Stephen Decatur – Naval Officer

I don't give a **** what's on the 20 dollar bill as long as it's still worth $20.

I find it Ironic and Indicative that about the time we start doing PC modifications of the American Currency, we will also be seeing the Obama/Democratic/Progressive-Fascist economic policies making the Dollar fall to Junk Currency values...

Sadly, the Tubman-$20s won't be worth using for toilet paper.

Maybe, Just Maybe, we should focus less on "Blackification" of everything in America, and put allot more into bringing Tech and Heavy Industry back to America.

-
-

I find it Ironic and Indicative that about the time we start doing PC modifications of the American Currency, we will also be seeing the Obama/Democratic/Progressive-Fascist economic policies making the Dollar fall to Junk Currency values...

Maybe, Just Maybe, we should focus less on "Blackification" of everything in America, and put allot more into bringing Tech and Heavy Industry back to America.

-

-
Then I guess you won't mind sending all your 20's to me then.

why do we need a male on it

really do you have to look for some nefarious motive for everything? That is so incredibly petty from someone who can still use 4-5 other bills with old crusty white men

we have had a male-a president on it for decades. why the need to change it other than pandering?

I don't mind the change on the $20 bill

Not sure Tubman would have been my first choice....but she isn't a bad one

I think my number one choice would have been Clara Barton if the desire was to put a woman on the bill

Tubman would have been in the top five....just not the first choice

It seems that there's a lot of people - mostly on the right, of course - who are incensed that we're taking Jackson's face off the $20 bill and replacing it with Harriet Tubman. After all, he was a war president and all she did was help run the Underground Railroad to help slaves to make it to freedom (such as it was before the 1964 Civil Rights Act).

So I'll propose an alternative female in her place. This particular female organized a team of scouts in wartime to operate behind enemy lines on riverine craft, her team (under the orders of the Secretary of War):

- mapped enemy positions and gathered other intel;

- disabled mines;

- destroyed supply routes;

- and took point to lead the Army to destroy enemy supply depots.

During the same campaign, she recruited nearly 200 new partisans to join the Army's efforts against the enemy, and at the same time freed 750 other captives. Her name? Check the sources. First source. Second source.

Why don't you like Tubman? What is wrong with her?

I remember the failure that was the Susan B. Anthony dollar.

The failure was due to it being almost the size of quarter, plus we have paper dollars.

The failure was due to it being almost the size of quarter, plus we have paper dollars.

That is true.

I remember all the pinball machines saying it accepted the SBA dollars and offered 1 extra game, but as a kid I didn't know abot the coin and the machine didn't explain anything.

It was all very confusing.

Why don't you like Tubman? What is wrong with her?

I think he is joking because the description of this alternative female is Harriet Tubman.

-
-
If they were replacing most of the people on our currency with black people,women, and other minorities you might have a point. However putting one black woman who physically helped free people,and performed military service in the civil war is not PC modifying our currency nor is it the blackification of everything in our society. This isn't the first time our currency has changed.

How about reading the rest of the posts on this thread and see the one thing those opposed to the change share - it's that their political lean is to the right.

I see your post...and then I see your claimed political lean, and bear in mind many of your posts in the past. That tells me much.
I've been perfectly honest about my political views, which fall in line with the Roosevelt's. I have argues for single payer health coverage and universal union representation on this very forum. You're the only one expressing confusion.
You are simply an easy target because you like to make up straw people to knock down (which I detest)

Besides even if you consider me a full on conservative, I do not have an issue with the change (I do not support or oppose changes like this simply because it's not an important issue to me) Harriet Tubman makes a fine person to honor on currency.

So your argument is self defeating

Besides even if you consider me a full on conservative, I do not have an issue with the change (I do not support or oppose changes like this simply because it's not an important issue to me) Harriet Tubman makes a fine person to honor on currency.

So your argument is self defeating

I didn't say you were a full-on conservative...but your views on most subjects I've seen here do align with those who admit a conservative lean. And I gave no argument - I just made an observation.

If they were replacing most of the people on our currency with black people,women, and other minorities you might have a point. However putting one black woman who physically helped free people,and performed military service in the civil war is not PC modifying our currency nor is it the blackification of everything in our society. This isn't the first time our currency has changed.

"Tubman also carried a revolver, and was not afraid to use it. The gun afforded some protection..."

I like her.

Why do we need a male?

People are flipping out as if females have never EVER been on our money before.

that's not the issue

we already have a 20 dollar bill. Why spend even a dime changing it?

that's not the issue

Why did you make MLK the only American with his very own, unshared federal holiday? To make them feel good.

Since the day it was signed into law in 1983 there were no riots, or vandalism, and we all lived in peace and harmony.

Why did you make MLK the only American with his very own, unshared federal holiday? To make them feel good.

Since the day it was signed into law in 1983 there were no riots, or vandalism, and we all lived in peace and harmony.

when I was younger, I asked my late father if we should have a federal holiday for MLK. and he said-sure why not-he was a great man but if we have a holiday for every man or woman who did as much for America as MLK did, we'd never get any work done

that's not the issue

How will re engraving plates for a new 20 dollar andrew jackson bill cost any more than engraving printing plates for a Harriet Tubam bill? On the average it costs 10 cents per paper currency to print.The plates get 800,000 used out of it before it need to be replaced.

Back
Top Bottom