• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Helena Kerschner’s POWERFUL Story About Going In and Out of Transgenderism.

Kids and teens are not old enough to make potentially permanent changes to their bodies. If you aren't even old enough to get a tattoo, you certainly aren't old enough for bizarre hormone "therapies" and getting prepped for cosmetic surgeries.
Meh. Children are done to from birth. That is how they become not-children. This includes everything from ear piercing to religious instruction to mountain climbing, swimming and horse riding (all more dangerous than medically supervised transitions) to circumcision and ritual rites of passage.

Children aren't afforded foresight or wisdom for this shit either. Because, you know, the nature of the human experience of time itself...

Meh. Children are done to from birth. That is how they become not-children. This includes everything from ear piercing to religious instruction to mountain climbing, swimming and horse riding (all more dangerous than medically supervised transitions) to circumcision and ritual rites of passage.

Children aren't afforded foresight or wisdom for this shit either. Because, you know, the nature of the human experience of time itself...

No excuse for convincing or allowing a child to have their penis removed or their breasts cut off.

Yes, I am aware of cultures that do things they shouldn't. Like female "circumcision," or male genital mutilation.

I abhor such practices on children. But an adult can do whatever they want with their own bodies.

Thus "apples" and "oranges," not simply "fruit."

No excuse for convincing or allowing a child to have their penis removed or their breasts cut off.

Yes, I am aware of cultures that do things they shouldn't. Like female "circumcision," or male genital mutilation.

I abhor such practices on children. But an adult can do whatever they want with their own bodies.

Thus "apples" and "oranges," not simply "fruit."
Are you sincerely claiming that gender identity and consequently gender dysphoria does not exist as a very real mental health issue in both teens and adults?

This is infantilizing. She had a story to tell, and she told it. She knew (or could have easily found out) who Ben Shapiro is prior to appearing on his show. If you want to criticize her, then make your case...but don't pretend she's somehow been victimized here.

She has been victimized, but not by Ben Shapiro. By the people who participated in this charade.
I don't think she furthers an understanding or good faith discussion by going on Shapiro and Carlson's shows. Unfortunately, it's preaching to an anti LGBT choir. Those who actually need to hear her message will discount it entirely because of the toxic platform. This furthers the divide and false narrative that "right wing bigots" are the only people with concerns. I'm not necessarily blaming her I just think it's unfortunate.

In terms of victimization I did not use that terminology. I do think the RW exploits these stories.

I don't think she furthers an understanding or good faith discussion by going on Shapiro and Carlson's shows. Unfortunately, it's preaching to an anti LGBT choir. Those who actually need to hear her message will discount it entirely because of the toxic platform. This furthers the divide and false narrative that "right wing bigots" are the only people with concerns. I'm not necessarily blaming her I just think it's unfortunate.

In terms of victimization I did not use that terminology. I do think the RW exploits these stories.

Really?

What platform on the Left would allow her to tell her story without interruption, questions of her judgement, and/or trying to undermine or minimize her "experience" while trying to counteract with some group of chosen advocates for the opposition position?

Refusing to view the interview simply because of the platform indicates closed minds.

When those who dispute my points of view provide citations or videos I typically view them, with rare exceptions.

This because I can often (if not always) find facts within their own presentation "sources" that undermine the presented arguments.

Perhaps the opposition would be better served to view and not dismiss based solely on confirmation bias?

Ear piercings are more dangerous than sex changes for children? We clearly have a very different idea of what constitutes danger.

Really?

What platform on the Left would allow her to tell her story without interruption, questions of her judgement, and/or trying to undermine or minimize her "experience" while trying to counteract with some group of chosen advocates for the opposition position?
In the US? few and far between but things are opening up (and it depends what you mean by "the left"). Like most issues this has become black and white, us vs them, no nuance allowed.
I still don't think the answer is to go on platforms that espouse views which are anti LGBT.
Refusing to view the interview simply because of the platform indicates closed minds.

When those who dispute my points of view provide citations or videos I typically view them, with rare exceptions.

This because I can often (if not always) find facts within their own presentation "sources" that undermine the presented arguments.

Perhaps the opposition would be better served to view and not dismiss based solely on confirmation bias?

I'm glad you listen to a spectrum of views. I don't think most in the US are able to do this right now because things have become so polarized everyone feels the need to pick a side and demonize the other. And those sides are allowing the most extreme mouthpieces to do the talking.

Left wing sites and personalities will not have conversations with her. She has pointed this out a few times. If she feels there is a big problem in the trans industry and no one of the left will let her get her message out, she is left with rw personalities. Same has happened to many left of center individuals that may not toe the line on every LW idea.

Really?

Oh. Said much the same a moment ago.

Left wing sites and personalities will not have conversations with her. She has pointed this out a few times. If she feels there is a big problem in the trans industry and no one of the left will let her get her message out, she is left with rw personalities. Same has happened to many left of center individuals that may not toe the line on every LW idea.
There is no transgender industry. There are Drs and psychologists who provide approved supporting care to people who have been diagnosed as transgender.

Are you sincerely claiming that gender identity and consequently gender dysphoria does not exist as a very real mental health issue in both teens and adults?

Not at all.

I agree that it is a "MENTAL health issue," even admit the possibility there may be some physiological cause for it.

I simply don't agree that children should not only be allowed, but actively encouraged to undergo medically induced hormonal treatments and physical "mutilation" based on such beliefs.

As indicated in the OP example, they may not actually suffer from gender dysphoria, but may express it as a child and young adult for other reasons.

However, once they are adults and have the accepted capacity to make a free choice to commit such changes, I have no problem with whatever they then choose.

Since I dont like starting new threads, just thought i'd put this here.

Blair and Buck talking of trans industry and children on blockers, getting surgeries, etc.

Not at all.

I agree that it is a "MENTAL health issue," even admit the possibility there may be some physiological cause for it.

I simply don't agree that children should not only be allowed, but actively encouraged to undergo medically induced hormonal treatments and physical "mutilation" based on such beliefs.

As indicated in the OP example, they may not actually suffer from gender dysphoria, but may express it as a child and young adult for other reasons.

However, once they are adults and have the accepted capacity to make a free choice to commit such changes, I have no problem with whatever they then choose.
How is someone of any age encouraged to undergo care that they do not need? The Drs are making the diagnosis and the patient has the power to say yes or no. The Drs aren't pushing anything, nor is the patient making decisions by themselves without medial advice. There is no mutilation involved.

Where do you get thase ideas form? Who is telling you otherwise?

Since I dont like starting new threads, just thought i'd put this here.

Blair and Buck talking of trans industry and children on blockers, getting surgeries, etc.

Excellent proof of not only the OP video's information, but my position on "choice."

Let children be children, don't let them make "life-changing decisions" when they really don't understand the consequences of such decisions.

It's funny how we rightly seek to protect children from "sexual abuse," but not from abuse of their birth sex/sexual identity by certain activists seeking affirmation of their own choices.

Not to mention the groups of special interests I've labeled a "cottage industry" who profit from this.

How is someone of any age encouraged to undergo care that they do not need?
You suggested a few posts back that parents who "refused to see gender incongruence" had their heads up their asses. Strongly implying that gender non-conforming behavior is a problem that needs to be treated with drugs. Sexist/homophobic attitudes like that are how kids are encouraged to undergo care that they do not need.
The Drs are making the diagnosis and the patient has the power to say yes or no.
If they are under 18, they do not have the power to say yes or no. At least not with informed consent.
There is no mutilation involved. Where do you get thase ideas form? Who is telling you otherwise?
You yourself are telling us otherwise. In this very thread:
A 12-year-old doesn't consent to surgery. They can't even start blockers or HRT in the US until 14-16. That is after 90 days to 6 months of diagnosis and detailed history with a psychologist. The surgery is 17-18 years old after 2 years of following and HRT.
In that post you state that 1) Young teenagers are being drugged and prepped for life-altering surgery before they've finished junior high school, and 2) Mutilation *does* happen when they are still minors. Gross.

How is someone of any age encouraged to undergo care that they do not need? The Drs are making the diagnosis and the patient has the power to say yes or no. The Drs aren't pushing anything, nor is the patient making decisions by themselves without medial advice. There is no mutilation involved.

What part of "they are CHILDREN" do you not understand?

It IS "mutilation" when one makes drastic physical changes to ones body.

It is CHILD ABUSE to do this while they are still literally children, and we protect them from all sorts of "decision-making" because we recognize they are not ready to make such decisions.
Where do you get thase ideas form? Who is telling you otherwise?

Personal research.

Following the discussions and debates in all sorts of forums.

My own background in Biology.

Why? Where do YOU get your ideas from, because it seems to me you are the one not looking at both sides of the equation?

You suggested a few posts back that parents who "refused to see gender incongruence" had their heads up their asses. Strongly implying that gender non-conforming behavior is a problem that needs to be treated with drugs. Sexist/homophobic attitudes like that are how kids are encouraged to undergo care that they do not need.

If they are under 18, they do not have the power to say yes or no. At least not with informed consent.

You yourself are telling us otherwise. In this very thread:

In that post you state that 1) Young teenagers are being drugged and prepped for life-altering surgery before they've finished junior high school, and 2) Mutilation *does* happen when they are still minors. Gross.
If they are gender congruent then there is a need, but the teen gets to make that decision after the Dr makes a disgnosis and offers them their options and explains the risks and benefits of each. You seem think think that this happens in one 45 minute appointment or the Dr is pushing anything.

If the teen is not intellectually able to make an informed intelligent decision then there are deeper problems than gender dysphoria. What teenager is finishing middle school at 18 years old? HRT in the US doesn't become possible until 14 and its usually 16 at the earliest. Gender surgery is a minimum of 4 years later.

What part of "they are CHILDREN" do you not understand?

It IS "mutilation" when one makes drastic physical changes to ones body.

It is CHILD ABUSE to do this while they are still literally children, and we protect them from all sorts of "decision-making" because we recognize they are not ready to make such decisions.

Personal research.

Following the discussions and debates in all sorts of forums.

My own background in Biology.

Why? Where do YOU get your ideas from, because it seems to me you are the one not looking at both sides of the equation?
Surgery at 17-18 is not a child and it is certainly no mutilation. A teen is able to drive a car at 16 and make life-changing decisions is certainly able to make informed medical decisions when offered by a Dr and psychologist. What do you think the time frame on this treatment is? I doubt you have any idea.

What sub-field of biology?

If they are gender congruent then there is a need,
Why? Why does a boy who likes other boys, or a girl who likes throwing footballs more than makeup, need medical attention? Why do those behaviors suggest the need to mutilate their bodies?
but the teen gets to make that decision after the Dr makes a disgnosis and offers them their options and explains the risks and benefits of each.
I'm not interested in a quack doctor "explaining the risks" to an eighth-grader and then hanging their hat on the child "consenting" to this nonsense. The kid should be thinking about their algebra homework and their Nickelodeon cartoons, not whether such-and-such weird hormone therapy carries a greater risk of infertility than such-and-such other weird hormone therapy, which they are totally incapable of evaluating or even understanding. They can wait until they are 18 when their brains have developed and they are better able to understand what they are getting themselves into.
You seem think think that this happens in one 45 minute appointment or the Dr is pushing anything.
One 45-minute appointment is all it takes to start them down this path. Even if they don't actually get hormones that soon. If they want to meet with a professional for 45 minutes, they can just talk to a psychologist about what they're feeling without this bizarre physical transformation component.
If the teen is not intellectually able to make an informed intelligent decision then there are deeper problems than gender dysphoria. What teenager is finishing middle school at 18 years old? HRT in the US doesn't become possible until 14 and its usually 16 at the earliest. Gender surgery is a minimum of 4 years later.
Kids finish middle school at age 14, at the age that you think it's appropriate to start drugging them with sex hormones.

Why? Why does a boy who likes other boys, or a girl who likes throwing footballs more than makeup, need medical attention? Why do those behaviors suggest the need to mutilate their bodies?

I'm not interested in a quack doctor "explaining the risks" to an eighth-grader and then hanging their hat on the child "consenting" to this nonsense. They should be thinking about their algebra homework and their Nickelodeon cartoons, not whether such-and-such weird hormone therapy carries a greater risk of infertility than such-and-such other weird hormone therapy. They can wait until they are 18 when their brains have developed and they are better able to understand what they are getting themselves into.

One 45-minute appointment is all it takes to start them down this path. Even if they don't actually get hormones that soon.

Kids finish middle school at age 14, at the age that you think it's appropriate to start drugging them with sex hormones.
Gay people aren't transgender. 99% of gay people are CIS! JFC on a stick! You don't know the didffence between sexual orintation and gender idenity.

Surgery at 17-18 is not a child and it is certainly no mutilation. A teen is able to drive a car at 16 and make life-changing decisions is certainly able to make informed medical decisions when offered by a Dr and psychologist. What do you think the time frame on this treatment is? I doubt you have any idea.

Under 18 is a "child" unless the individual successfully emancipates (legally) prior to that age. I hold that hormone treatments of children under 18 for this "condition" should not occur at all.

As for your last question, I have no intention of presenting any "credentials" in a discussion forum, because I am not asserting any appeal to authority.

Suffice it to say I have an undergraduate degree in Biology, and that's all you need to know for purposes of discussion.

Gay people aren't transgender. 99% of gay people are CIS! JFC on a stick! You don't know the didffence between sexual orintation and gender idenity.
Ah there it is again. When you have no argument, just make some shit up and argue a stupid strawman. I have to assume you know it's a strawman, because no one could possibly be this incapable of reading and understanding sentences. And it's not the first time you've done it. Bye bye.

Not at all.

They aren't allowed to do this. This is illegal and not accepted medical practice. That it has happened in some unfortunate cases does not change this fact any more than the existence of child pornography changes the fact that child pornography is already illegal. But that is the conservative playbook lately, isn't it? Take something that is already illegal, rare, and horrifying, amplify it to a shocked audience who have never been exposed to such monstrous behavior, imply that no one is doing anything about it, associate it with the Democratic Party, pretend it's a national crisis, and then promise to deliver the country from this evil practice if only you give your money and your votes to the Republican Party. New laws giving the government even more power over the people is the reward they get for voting with their hearts rather than their heads.

There's a reason why the loudest conservative voices in the current Republican Party are the modern day equivalents of snake oil salesmen.

Ah there it is again. When you have no argument, just make some shit up and argue a stupid strawman. I have to assume you know it's a strawman, because no one could possibly be this incapable of reading and understanding sentences. And it's not the first time you've done it. Bye bye.
Who told you that you can make a gay person heterosexual by changing their gender? That idea is a huge red flag and would be an instant stop and block to a transgender diagnosis. Any gay person who mentioned that has internalized homophobia. That would be dealt with by the psychologist by helping them improve their self-image and confidence. You cannot fix a poor self-image and homophobia by changing their gender because they are not transgender. An effeminate gay guy is not a woman, just as a butch lesbian is not male.

Sexual orientation is completely and absolutely not connected with their gender identity.

Under 18 is a "child" unless the individual successfully emancipates (legally) prior to that age. I hold that hormone treatments of children under 18 for this "condition" should not occur at all.

As for your last question, I have no intention of presenting any "credentials" in a discussion forum, because I am not asserting any appeal to authority.

Suffice it to say I have an undergraduate degree in Biology, and that's all you need to know for purposes of discussion.
An undergrad degree in biology is irrelevant. There are 50 possibly different subspecialties, so unless you are in pre-med that biology degree is meaningless to this discussion.

If the teen is transgender then it is in their best interest to start HRT while the body is still developing instead of trying to administer HRT after the body has already matured in the wrong physical gender. The outcomes are better and gender dysphoria has not been permitted to fester for another 3-4 years.

Who told you that you can make a gay person heterosexual by changing their gender?
You did, when you claimed that parents need to watch for gender incongruence so they could start drugging their children to change their gender. I don't know what you mean by "gender congruence," if not conformity to sexist/homophobic gender stereotypes.
That idea is a huge red flag and would be an instant stop and block to a transgender diagnosis. Any gay person who mentioned that has internalized homophobia.
But earlier you claimed that something like 50% of trans people are also gay, which might very well be the case. So reading between the lines, you're saying that roughly half of them should not have been diagnosed as trans. That's a hell of an error rate.
That would be dealt with by the psychologist by helping them improve their self-image and confidence. You cannot fix a poor self-image and homophobia by changing their gender because they are not transgender.
I agree. Similarly, you cannot fix internalized misogyny by changing a girl into a boy, because she's not a boy.
An effeminate gay guy is not a woman, just as a butch lesbian is not male.
I agree. So why do parents have their heads up their asses if they don't medicalize their child's "gender incongruence"? Why not just leave the kids alone and let them be effeminate guys or butch lesbians?
Sexual orientation is completely and absolutely not connected with their gender identity.
If 50% of trans people are also gay as you previously claimed, then there is clearly some connection. That's nearly 10 times the rate of homosexuality in the general population. This suggests the following possibilities: 1) Some biological pattern in the brain that makes gay people more likely to suffer from gender dysphoria, 2) Social contagion among people in what's left of the "LGBT community", 3) Internalized homophobia among gay people as you mentioned above, 4) Externalized homophobia or sexism that encourages gay or non-conforming people to go down this path.

Back
Top Bottom