• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Have We Ever Reversed a 'Progressive' Cultural Trend?

So IYO, what time in our past was the best? Since the present and future are going in the wrong direction?

When people actually understood personal responsibility and living within their means.

When people actually understood personal responsibility and living within their means.

What date was the best for that?

I'm one of those people who believes if you are old enough to die for your country, you're old enough to have, at LEAST, a beer.

Or, vice versa, if you are too young (immature?) to have a beer then you are too young to vote, sign a contract, drive or serve in the military.

Of course

The Reagan Revolution stopped the progressive 70's movement

Clinton stopped the Reagan Revolution in the 90's

Why you think the GOP has targeted the Clintons for 25 years lol

Of course

The Reagan Revolution stopped the progressive 70's movement

Clinton stopped the Reagan Revolution in the 90's

Why you think the GOP has targeted the Clintons for 25 years lol

Clinton did not stop the reagan revolution in the 90's. We are still suffering the consequences of that administration. Hell Bill advanced some of it i.e. NAFTA.

You must remember, our gvmt doesn't want us to live within our means.

Unfortunately, not when both political parties are basically fiscally liberal.

I was thinking about this the other day in the context of groups and individuals that advocate for preserving 'family' or 'traditional values' usually in reference to SSM, Transgender rights, Gay Adoption, etc. In our history, and I suppose more broadly in the historical liberal experiment, have 'we' (that is as a society) ever adopted what could be identified as a progressive cultural attitude, whether its racial equality or something like womans suffrage, and then permanently rolled it back or reversed course? Sort of taken a 'nope, we made a mistake' attitude?

I can't really think of one but if anyone else can it would be appreciated. My inclination is to say there isn't one but I could be wrong. The only one that seems remotely plausible hasn't actually happened yet and thats abortion because we don't seem to have coalesced into one position as a society the same way that we have on female suffrage, racial equality, and increasingly on the topic of SSM.

Because if there isn't really any precedent of a rollback I wonder if these groups and individuals sincerely believe there is a chance of 'going back'.

Thoughts?

Yes, there was one that readily comes to mind. In the years immediately following the Civil War, blacks made great strides and were even elected to Congress. But then the racist conservatives (and YES, the Deep South has always been strongly conservative) decided they wouldn't allow it anymore and started the KKK and Jim Crow.

Clinton did not stop the reagan revolution in the 90's. We are still suffering the consequences of that administration. Hell Bill advanced some of it i.e. NAFTA.

I disagree

Leave it at that

Oh bullcrap. Machismo is a BS false persona. The world gets more liberal with more knowledge. Conservatism dies out because people communicate better with more and better tech and can no longer be cowed into conservative obedience with threats born out of total bull****. Gay rights are coming fast now because conservatives told us all that dire consequences would happen if gays ever got rights. Well, Massachusetts passed gay marriage years ago and didn't fall into the ocean.

Knowledge is why conservatism dies. And with immediate communication of today, knowledge is killing conservatism.

That's a big old wad of crap. You know what builds nations? Strength, purpose and unity. Three things that the US is sorely lacking in of late. We're divided on every front. Racial divisions, sexual divisions, class divisions and even bull-crap made up divisions like gender. Feminism has given us a generation of kids that are scared to death of anything that's even remotely 'offensive' and think they deserve success just because they're alive. Sure the progressives have knowledge. If you can call thinking there are more than two genders 'knowledge'. Or thinking that men and women are the same 'knowledge'. Or believing in hysterical 'white priveledge' is 'knowledge'. Or that cops killing blacks is an epidemic is 'knowledge'.

Non of that is knowledge. What you're calling knowledge is merely feel good bullshyte that you cling to and DEMAND that everyone cling to it with you in order not to be called racist, or sexist, or bigot or homophobic. Your 'knowledge' is wishful thinking wrapped up in a big old bag of feminine emotion.

I weep for this nation when the 'special snowflake' generation takes over.

So the sky IS falling. Oh my. Come on man... you're better than this.

Dunno Rob.... why does the USA have more or almost a equal number troops in eastern Europe than the Europeans do?

Why is the USA required to have a Navy presence in the mediterranean 24/7/365 year after year.......... wasting USA tax dollars and creating hardships for military families?

The liberal Europeans are a prime example of weakness and dependency

If the USA wasn't in the MED every day.............Israel would be a distant memory. Meanwhile the Euro's, and some Americans........ continue to **** all over Israel

Dunno Rob.... why does the USA have more or almost a equal number troops in eastern Europe than the Europeans do?

Why is the USA required to have a Navy presence in the mediterranean 24/7/365 year after year.......... wasting USA tax dollars and creating hardships for military families?

If the USA wasn't in the MED every day.............Israel would be a distant memory. Meanwhile the Euro's, and some Americans........ continue to **** all over Israel

Wish I could up vote that sentence 100 times.

That's a big old wad of crap. You know what builds nations? Strength, purpose and unity. Three things that the US is sorely lacking in of late. We're divided on every front. Racial divisions, sexual divisions, class divisions and even bull-crap made up divisions like gender. Feminism has given us a generation of kids that are scared to death of anything that's even remotely 'offensive' and think they deserve success just because they're alive. Sure the progressives have knowledge. If you can call thinking there are more than two genders 'knowledge'. Or thinking that men and women are the same 'knowledge'. Or believing in hysterical 'white priveledge' is 'knowledge'. Or that cops killing blacks is an epidemic is 'knowledge'.

Non of that is knowledge. What you're calling knowledge is merely feel good bullshyte that you cling to and DEMAND that everyone cling to it with you in order not to be called racist, or sexist, or bigot or homophobic. Your 'knowledge' is wishful thinking wrapped up in a big old bag of feminine emotion.

I weep for this nation when the 'special snowflake' generation takes over.

You're just acting out like every generation does. They crap on the next generation coming as if "OMG that generation is so terrible and we are all going to hell in a handbasket because of them. We are all doomed when they take over!" oh and BTW... Women are much better fit for leadership than men ever where by-and-large. Compassion and empathy are the best leadership qualities there are. Women tend to have that in far more abundance than men who tend to make decisions more in "I'M PISSED!" mode... which is never a smart way to lead. As far as you cry for unity... smells like nationalism to me soooo..... no thanks.

The libertarian in me wants that to end.

Same with this. We have no real purpose with this. The only true purpose for our military global prescence is for maintaining economic power. It needs to stop.

Europe isn't strong because they aren't a country. The EU is just a currency agreement for the most part. They need to step up to the plate IMO and become a country.

I was thinking about this the other day in the context of groups and individuals that advocate for preserving 'family' or 'traditional values' usually in reference to SSM, Transgender rights, Gay Adoption, etc. In our history, and I suppose more broadly in the historical liberal experiment, have 'we' (that is as a society) ever adopted what could be identified as a progressive cultural attitude, whether its racial equality or something like womans suffrage, and then permanently rolled it back or reversed course? Sort of taken a 'nope, we made a mistake' attitude?

I can't really think of one but if anyone else can it would be appreciated. My inclination is to say there isn't one but I could be wrong. The only one that seems remotely plausible hasn't actually happened yet and thats abortion because we don't seem to have coalesced into one position as a society the same way that we have on female suffrage, racial equality, and increasingly on the topic of SSM.

Because if there isn't really any precedent of a rollback I wonder if these groups and individuals sincerely believe there is a chance of 'going back'.

Thoughts?

Sure, we progressively went from a monarchy with royalty above the law to a nation of laws, now we're back to a nation where laws only apply to some people.

Sure, we progressively went from a monarchy with royalty above the law to a nation of laws, now we're back to a nation where laws only apply to some people.

I think we've always been a nation where laws only apply to some people. IMO the good news is, we have more sunshine to see that it is still happening no matter how much folks try to pull the wool over our eyes to claim that it isn't happening.

I think we've always been a nation where laws only apply to some people. IMO the good news is, we have more sunshine to see that it is still happening no matter how much folks try to pull the wool over our eyes to claim that it isn't happening.

Yeah, we can see, now they just flaunt it openly and get nominated to be President by a national party.

Great progress that.

The libertarian in me wants that to end.

Same with this. We have no real purpose with this. The only true purpose for our military global prescence is for maintaining economic power. It needs to stop.

Europe isn't strong because they aren't a country. The EU is just a currency agreement for the most part. They need to step up to the plate IMO and become a country.

I agree with everything you just posted, but the claim that it is only a monetary agreement goes out the window when the Commission dictates bylaws regarding how sovereign counties conduct their own business other civil matters.

When a culture starts to go liberal, it is on the downward slope. America is dying. Conservatism builds societies, liberalism destroys them. It's only a matter of time.

Yep. Ever since the advent of modern day liberalism the US has been on the decline. Liberalism is a cancer that slowly kills its victim.

Thoughts?

The progressive qualities of logic and rationality have been reversed, turned upside down actually. Now it seems that raw emotion and vitriol passes for progressive.

When a culture starts to go liberal, it is on the downward slope. America is dying. Conservatism builds societies, liberalism destroys them. It's only a matter of time.

The Roman Empire is case and point

The Roman Empire is case and point

Among others, yes. I'm just wondering if there are any examples where liberalism, especially modern liberalism, has demonstrably made any society better in the long term.

Among others, yes. I'm just wondering if there are any examples where liberalism, especially modern liberalism, has demonstrably made any society better in the long term.

I think liberalism has made society better in many ways, tempering the cruelty of Capitalism and pushing for equality, but when they expect us to abdicate our rights and freedoms to the state out of some absurd utopian pipe dream they lose me. I don't want to go back to the days of the robber barons but creating a state of dependancy is not the answer either.

Back
Top Bottom