• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Has anyone else come out today? (10/11)

that's just it...I don't want or need a day. sad that so many people do. at least in the US gays are pretty much tolerated and for the most part people don't give a rat's ass. could be much worse

when's the last time you saw "homophobes" in the US throwing bricks and fire bombs while screaming "death to homos" at a gay pride parade?
Yeah, "could be much worse" is about as convincing as "at least you don't get the death penalty."

Being less of a homophobe doesn't make you a swell, tolerant person. When that "for the most part" becomes a genuine not giving a rat's ass, that's when LGBT people should shut up. Until then, you'll just have to deal with being uncomfortable, which you clearly are.

It is nice to see that you don't ask for your own day; a straight, white male wanting a day to recognize the injustices visited on him seems to me a bit self-pitying.

It's probably more accurate than thinking that most Male Gays would resemble that Guy in your Avatar

Not quite sure what you're getting at but the fact that you couldn't back up your wild assertions is not lost on me or anyone else here. :shrug:

Did you care to argue the point or is it your intention just to make an ass of yourself in this thread for everyone's amusement?

Yeah, "could be much worse" is about as convincing as "at least you don't get the death penalty."

Being less of a homophobe doesn't make you a swell, tolerant person. When that "for the most part" becomes a genuine not giving a rat's ass, that's when LGBT people should shut up. Until then, you'll just have to deal with being uncomfortable, which you clearly are.

and just what would I have to be "uncomfortable" about?

It is nice to see that you don't ask for your own day; a straight, white male wanting a day to recognize the injustices visited on him seems to me a bit self-pitying.

except for the fact that, technically, I am not white.

and just what would I have to be "uncomfortable" about?

except for the fact that, technically, I am not white.
Homosexuals, obviously.

I've never seen anyone disparage a day of showing group solidarity and support for a mistreated minority unless they want to ignore or belittle the discrimination they experience.

I have to say, if your old avatar is what you actually look like, then you look white enough for me. I'm not white either, but that doesn't mean I don't get away with it sometimes.

Homosexuals, obviously.

since I am not one, and I have yet to meet one who was "interested" in me...why would they make me uncomfortable?

I've never seen anyone disparage a day of showing group solidarity and support for a mistreated minority unless they want to ignore or belittle the discrimination they experience.

I am not disparaging the gayness...just the whining little girl bit. I don't ignore or belittle the fact that gays have been/are discriminated against. what I don't like is the over-dramatization that so many seem to be prone to. when gays and gay supporters are constantly exaggerating the extent/severity of anti-gay bias, it makes it much harder for those of us on the fence who really don't give a **** one way or the other to come on over and support your side.

I have to say, if your old avatar is what you actually look like, then you look white enough for me. I'm not white either, but that doesn't mean I don't get away with it sometimes.

I am about 1/3 white with the rest being a mix of native american and hispanic. I look mostly white because my white ancestors were really white (scots and irish)

It's one of those "just know about it" things. I kind of like it. I don't have much reason to talk about it, and they don't bring it up.

Really? I'm the only one? ¬_¬

of course you MUST be the only one. ;-)

Oh no I just meant that today is National Coming Out Day. I am totally straight. As I said in my facebook status I love women and boobs too much to go gay.

i know, soccer...i was joking!

since I am not one, and I have yet to meet one who was "interested" in me...why would they make me uncomfortable?

I am not disparaging the gayness...just the whining little girl bit. I don't ignore or belittle the fact that gays have been/are discriminated against. what I don't like is the over-dramatization that so many seem to be prone to. when gays and gay supporters are constantly exaggerating the extent/severity of anti-gay bias, it makes it much harder for those of us on the fence who really don't give a **** one way or the other to come on over and support your side.

I am about 1/3 white with the rest being a mix of native american and hispanic. I look mostly white because my white ancestors were really white (scots and irish)

if you don't care, why are you posting in this thread? a coming out day doesn't affect you, does it? why the whining about it then?

if you don't care, why are you posting in this thread? a coming out day doesn't affect you, does it? why the whining about it then?

Because it's a discussion forum and we are here to...gee, I dunno...discuss things?

Do you really care about everything you discuss with people?

Never underestimate the ability of people to hate entire swaths of the human species that they've never met. In fact, I think people are especially prone to hating people they never have any sort of contact with.
First of all, it's the duty of anyone honestly interested in equality to support people whether or not you like their tone. If you support bigots because gays are dramatic, it's a failure in your own twisted character.

Where is all this "whiny little girl" behavior you seem to be inveighing against? What is it, exactly? Do you have any examples, or are you do just lack sympathy with gay people because you see them as fruity little girls? Given the subject at hand, I think that's a conspicuously pointed way of putting it, I must say. If there's any vibe I get from you at all, it's not indifference to the issue. It sounds more like you wish that homosexuals would just shut up and deal with it.

Or, to put it the way you seem apt to, "bend over and take it."
I can do you one better; I'm half black. I didn't get the physical appearance that screams "someone broke the one drop rule," so people either think I'm Italian or just ask "what are you?"

Because it's a discussion forum and we are here to...gee, I dunno...discuss things?

Do you really care about everything you discuss with people?

good point......but i think oscar does care, despite his professions that he doesn't.

good point......but i think oscar does care, despite his professions that he doesn't.

I think care might be a little strong. Passing interest in the conversation, probably.

It's nice to see you today, by the way. :2wave:

because, just like you...I am entitled to have an opinion. As I said, for those who actually pay attention and are not on some wild homophobe witch hunt, the gayness isn't the part that bothers me. It is all of these special "days", "weeks", "months", ad nauseum.

today is coming out day (it is also national take a teddy bear to work day), this is breast cancer awareness month, we have black history month, grandparents day, national bath safety month, national grapefruit month, white T-shirt day, old farmers day, different colored eyes day, tomorrow will be guys with 9 toes awareness day.

First of all, it's the duty of anyone honestly interested in equality to support people whether or not you like their tone. If you support bigots because gays are dramatic, it's a failure in your own twisted character.

Where is all this "whiny little girl" behavior you seem to be inveighing against? What is it, exactly? Do you have any examples, or are you do just lack sympathy with gay people because you see them as fruity little girls? Given the subject at hand, I think that's a conspicuously pointed way of putting it, I must say. If there's any vibe I get from you at all, it's not indifference to the issue. It sounds more like you wish that homosexuals would just shut up and deal with it.

Or, to put it the way you seem apt to, "bend over and take it."

Actually, Patria, I get what he's saying quite well. I think that "gay issues" get way over dramatized and sensationalized by activists and it ends up doing more harm than good. Take for instance the recent gay suicide "epidemic". It has been historical, data proven fact that gays are more prone to suicide, for whatever reason, than their straight counterparts. However, one gets publicized and then a few more end up being labeled an epidemic. And suddenly, it's all "Teh Gayz iz getting genosyded agin!!!!"

That's just not true. In fact, violence against gays and their suicide rates have been dropping. The real focus in the case of the jumper should have been on delivery of mental health services to all students, dissipating the stigma of seeking those services out, and teaching a bunch of kids who now live in close quarters with strangers for the first time in their lives what impulse control and sensitivity for your neighbors are.

But instead of addressing the actual problems, it's made into a "gay issue". I can see the resentfulness that builds.

because, just like you...I am entitled to have an opinion. As I said, for those who actually pay attention and are not on some wild homophobe witch hunt, the gayness isn't the part that bothers me. It is all of these special "days", "weeks", "months", ad nauseum.

today is coming out day (it is also national take a teddy bear to work day), this is breast cancer awareness month, we have black history month, grandparents day, national bath safety month, national grapefruit month, white T-shirt day, old farmers day, different colored eyes day, tomorrow will be guys with 9 toes awareness day.
I agree with you.

I don't want oppressed minorities to have a standard to rally around either.

I think care might be a little strong. Passing interest in the conversation, probably.

It's nice to see you today, by the way. :2wave:

correct-a-mundo. There are actually very few things I really care about. a person's sexual preference is one of them. gays don't affect me, gay rights don't affect me, etc.

I just know that many people get all bent out of shape over it and I just can't pass up a chance to play devil's advocate and stir the pot a bit. I am not trolling or baiting anyone, just like having a nice spirited discusion.

I find it funny that any one who says the least little thing, that might just possibly, under certain circumstances, be in some small way negative about gays is immediately branded a homophobe. It is almost like the gay supporters (I have notcied that actual gays don't really seem to give a ****) are looking for the homophobe boogieman under every bed.

i don't think patria's on a witch hunt. and as for all those "special " days or months or whatever, would you say the same words to a woman who had breast cancer? ask her why she was so dramatic? would you ask a grandparent why he needed a day to honor him? ask a black person why we should care about their history? what about mother's day? veteran's day? birthdays? yes, we have a lot of "days", but so what? they mean something to people.

i'm sure patria doesn't need anyone to defend him, i just think it was rude to comment the way you did on something that's clearly important to him.

i don't think patria's on a witch hunt. and as for all those "special " days or months or whatever, would you say the same words to a woman who had breast cancer? ask her why she was so dramatic? would you ask a grandparent why he needed a day to honor him? ask a black person why we should care about their history? what about mother's day? veteran's day? birthdays? yes, we have a lot of "days", but so what? they mean something to people.

i'm sure patria doesn't need anyone to defend him, i just think it was rude to comment the way you did on something that's clearly important to him.

ah...so now disagreeing with someone is rude? well...I guess you are now being rude to me. :wink2:

Actually, Patria, I get what he's saying quite well. I think that "gay issues" get way over dramatized and sensationalized by activists and it ends up doing more harm than good. Take for instance the recent gay suicide "epidemic". It has been historical, data proven fact that gays are more prone to suicide, for whatever reason, than their straight counterparts. However, one gets publicized and then a few more end up being labeled an epidemic. And suddenly, it's all "Teh Gayz iz getting genosyded agin!!!!"

That's just not true. In fact, violence against gays and their suicide rates have been dropping. The real focus in the case of the jumper should have been on delivery of mental health services to all students, dissipating the stigma of seeking those services out, and teaching a bunch of kids who now live in close quarters with strangers for the first time in their lives what impulse control and sensitivity for your neighbors are.

But instead of addressing the actual problems, it's made into a "gay issue". I can see the resentfulness that builds.
I agree with you to a slight extent, but that's not at all something present in this particular day. Today is simply a day chosen to offer mutual support and encourage LGBT people to assert themselves and not hide. I'm failing to see the whiny behavior in that. Innoculation through exposure is a pretty surefire way of reducing prejudice.

I won't deny gay group's role in hyping issues that aren't as serious for press, but I also don't blame them as much as I do straight people for getting annoyed over it. You reap what you sow. If you treat a group of people that horribly, you best expect for them to start seeing hatred even when it's not present, or merely a peripheral issue. I think the media is more to blame in the sensationalist coverage of this suicide spate as a gay crisis. The fact is that covering contentious social issues sells ad time and newspapers. Mental health and maturity issues does not. As someone who both enjoys the company of men and has had mental health issues, I know where I stand in terms of feeling prejudiced. I feel safe saying that the stigmata surrounding mental health issues far exceed the ones surrounding homosexuality. People don't want to hear about, and the press doesn't want to talk about it.

Back
Top Bottom