• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Guilty of not walking away from a pointless and endless conversation

OK, raise your hand if you are guilty of a habit that is common on forums like this one?

download.jpg

You see, I raised my hand too, because I know I am guilty.

WHAT THE HELL AM I TALKING ABOUT?

Simply this: we can't seem to walk away from a back n forth that is going nowhere.

We all seem to have this innate NEED to have the last word. If someone says to me I don't know my history, and I rebut by pointing out how I actually know more about history than they do, they are bound to come back and then question my intelligence and then I rebut that they can't match mine, and so on and so on and so on...

Someone says the Dems are the "evil" party, another rebuts saying it is the Repubs who are the "evil" ones, and soon those two all by themselves go back n forth till they eventually get into name-calling just so they can get "their licks" in.

Wouldn't it be easier to just state our point of view, back it up with some insightful or at least half-way sane points, then move on?

I mean if someone is DETERMINED to get the last word in or refuse to leave the conversation because they need to get one last "lick" in, is it worth it?

Here is a thought, let them have the last word, they will be eagerly waiting for yet another comeback from you and when it doesn't arrive, imagine how THAT makes them feel.

(Now if only I could follow my own advice)

You just described every exchange on the internet ever.
Granted, true, but doesn't have to be THAT way.
IF a conversation goes back n forth while ideas are being exchanged, that is one thing, but it it just a pissing contest (I am right you are wrong kind of thing) then it DOES become redundant.

Granted, true, but doesn't have to be THAT way.
IF a conversation goes back n forth while ideas are being exchanged, that is one thing, but it it just a pissing contest (I am right you are wrong kind of thing) then it DOES become redundant.

Honk a few times when you find one of those.

But there are so many people on the internet who are wrong. It's a shame to leave them in ignorance!
LOL, well yeah, BUT once you have told someone something and then you have to repeat it another dozen times and it still doesn't sink in, well what do they call that? Something about a dead horse?

I look at a much smaller percentage of quote notifications than when I first arrived. Within my last several quote notifications is one from [censored], whose posts are invariably half-understood regurgitations of Tucker Carlson's latest asshattery.

After a while, you just know you'll find something aggravatingly stupid, aggravatingly dishonest, or so utterly devoid of redeeming value that it chips another flake off of one's faith in humanity.

I look at a much smaller percentage of quote notifications than when I first arrived. Within my last several quote notifications is one from [censored], whose posts are invariably half-understood regurgitations of Tucker Carlson's latest asshattery.

After a while, you just know you'll find something aggravatingly stupid, aggravatingly dishonest, or so utterly devoid of redeeming value that it chips another flake off of one's faith in humanity.
Never lose faith my friend, the sampling here is a very tiny minority :cool:

I quickly smash the opposition and have no interest in last word.

OK, raise your hand if you are guilty of a habit that is common on forums like this one?

View attachment 67342426

Simply this: we can't seem to walk away from a back n forth that is going nowhere.

We all seem to have this innate NEED to have the last word. If someone says to me I don't know my history, and I rebut by pointing out how I actually know more about history than they do, they are bound to come back and then question my intelligence and then I rebut that they can't match mine, and so on and so on and so on...

Someone says the Dems are the "evil" party, another rebuts saying it is the Repubs who are the "evil" ones, and soon those two all by themselves go back n forth till they eventually get into name-calling just so they can get "their licks" in.

Wouldn't it be easier to just state our point of view, back it up with some insightful or at least half-way sane points, then move on?

I mean if someone is DETERMINED to get the last word in or refuse to leave the conversation because they need to get one last "lick" in, is it worth it?

Here is a thought, let them have the last word, they will be eagerly waiting for yet another comeback from you and when it doesn't arrive, imagine how THAT makes them feel.

I hate to let them have the last word, because it makes it look like they won. I walk away from a lot of fruitless arguments here, though, but I often make the mistake of saying so. What happens then is, they and helpful friends try baiting me back in to play by saying I got nothing (even though I already gave it to them twice or more). I try to ignore it.

It's hard though, letting those opinions be the last word, and I always hope someone else will jump in and take over, like a relay.

View attachment 67342426

I’ve turned off notifications long ago. So, half the time, I have no idea if someone responded to me or not. This is key to ending stupid arguments with last-worders.

I hate to let them have the last word, because it makes it look like they won. I walk away from a lot of fruitless arguments here, though, but I often make the mistake of saying so. What happens then is, they and helpful friends try baiting me back in to play by saying I got nothing (even though I already gave it to them twice or more). I try to ignore it.

It's hard though, letting those opinions be the last word, and I always hope someone else will jump in and take over, like a relay.
nah, I actually TELL THEM they can have the last word and promise them I won't rebut, and guess what? they go ahead and respond anyways, it is HILARIOUS.
but as long as they feel soothed for getting the last word in, I don't mind, sometime you gotta give children their threats ;)

nah, I actually TELL THEM they can have the last word and promise them I won't rebut, and guess what? they go ahead and respond anyways, it is HILARIOUS.
but as long as they feel soothed for getting the last word in, I don't mind, sometime you gotta give children their threats ;)
Make up your mind.

Make up your mind.

I will if you and I get into an endless debate going nowhere, we aren't doing that yet, are we?

Most people on here can't admit that someone they're engaging with made a good point if it goes against their position. Even if they do kind of admit it, they have reverted to their previous position, in my experience here.

Most people on here can't admit that someone they're engaging with made a good point if it goes against their position. Even if they do kind of admit it, they have reverted to their previous position, in my experience here.
it reminds me of the schoolyard, two kids going narny narny narny and neither one wants to say "to hell with this, I get better things to do."

View attachment 67342426

What you suggest is what I do all the time...and what I've even done to you.

"You are dismissed." and then I don't respond anymore.

Issue resolved.

(But what's really funny...and quite pathetic...are those people who think, just because I dismissed them, THEY WON!!!)

What you suggest is what I do all the time...and what I've even done to you.

"You are dismissed." and then I don't respond anymore.

Issue resolved.

(But what's really funny...and quite pathetic...are those people who think, just because I dismissed them, THEY WON!!!)
Because we did!
rolling-on-the-floor-laughing_1f923.png

"we" won, you lost, deal with it.
???

What on earth are you talking about and what does it have to do with your thread topic?

Oh...wait...

"(Now if only I could follow my own advice)"

You can't, can you?

You are dismissed.

Back
Top Bottom