• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

green mower

Not an insult just an observation. If you are not the same person you are maybe on the same meds. I know a guy on anti depressants and when he over medicates he gets just like you and deuce, he starts rambling weird stuff nobody but him understands. He's a good friend and when he gets that way I say "Joe, adjust your meds, you're off the rails".
You can't remember from one post to the next what you've written. Maybe you're the one needing medication.

And where does your electricity come from? Most peoples elec comes from fossil fuel so although you don't personally pour gas into your mower you still use fossil fuel to mow your lawn.

I use electric, too. The power is already in the grid and cannot be recalled once it's been produced.

The pollution is already there and there's not much i can do about that. I don't add any more.

My electric mower is made at the same plant as the reel mowers discussed earlier and distributed with the Home Lite brand name. It works very well.

I use electric, too. The power is already in the grid and cannot be recalled once it's been produced.

The pollution is already there and there's not much i can do about that. I don't add any more.

My electric mower is made at the same plant as the reel mowers discussed earlier and distributed with the Home Lite brand name. It works very well.

Elec mowers are fine if that's what you want but the fact is in most cases they get elec produced from burning fossil fuel so those that think they are reducing their carbon foot print are only fooling themselves. Power plants gear their production to meet demand so the more elec used the more coal, oil etc they burn. My old fashioned push mower is the only one that reduces your impact and not one warmer in here uses one. To much work I guess.:lol:

Elec mowers are fine if that's what you want but the fact is in most cases they get elec produced from burning fossil fuel so those that think they are reducing their carbon foot print are only fooling themselves. Power plants gear their production to meet demand so the more elec used the more coal, oil etc they burn. My old fashioned push mower is the only one that reduces your impact and not one warmer in here uses one. To much work I guess.:lol:
Electric does reduce the carbon footprint - not that I'd expect you to know that.

Electric does reduce the carbon footprint - not that I'd expect you to know that.
CO2 is a nutrient for plants. So logically a larger CO2 footprint is good for plants. And therefore "greener".

I used to have one of these type wheelless mowers. They were useless unless you wanted to mow your grass every other day except for the fact that everybody would stop when you were using it so you could usually get them to cut a lot of your yard "trying it out". Since you cannot really adjust the height, they do horrible in taller grass. I bought it at an estate yard sale and eventually sold it for $5 profit--I'm such a baller :)

flymo.jpg

My wife just bought one of these for her garden paths because the power mower is to cumbersome to get around in there. I was surprised how well it works and it got me wondering how many of you in the warmer cult use one of these to mow your lawns. If you think fossil fuel is destroying the planet wouldn't this be a good place to walk the walk ,literally? Maybe some of you do use pusher, if so speak now or forever hold your peace. :)

View attachment 67147661

my mother-in-law had one of those (I think it's still somewhere in my garage) but her entire lawn was the size of a postage stamp. My "yard" is nearly 3 acres. It would take me a couple of days to mow the lawn using one of those.

except for the fact that in many places the "electric" is produced by facilities burning fossil fuels ;)

except for the fact that in many places the "electric" is produced by facilities burning fossil fuels ;)
But it's not gasoline (oil), which is what I care about, and it's treated a LOT better than anything coming out of a gas mower, which doesn't even have a catalytic converter like cars do. An electric does exactly what I want it to do, uses no oil and reduces the toxins we emit. I don't give a crap about CO2.

But it's not gasoline (oil), which is what I care about, and it's treated a LOT better than anything coming out of a gas mower, which doesn't even have a catalytic converter like cars do. An electric does exactly what I want it to do, uses no oil and reduces the toxins we emit. I don't give a crap about CO2.

whatevs... using "electric" does not in and of itself reduce the carbon footprint...which is what you originally claimed. CO2 contributes to the carbon footprint.

whatevs... using "electric" does not in and of itself reduce the carbon footprint...which is what you originally claimed. CO2 contributes to the carbon footprint.
I didn't say it had ZERO carbon footprint, I said it reduced it. Show me where an electric car has the same carbon footprint as a gasoline car.

So anyway I guess my suspicion has been validated. The warmer crowd won't even make this one little attempt to reduce their carbon foot print which confirms what I have always thought. They are complete hypocrites who live just like those of us who don't buy the AGW theory, they are all talk.

I have a reel mower. They work great for smaller yards.

The issue with mowers really isnt the CO2 output, its the nasty emissions, since they lack catalytic converters. The nitrogen oxides and VOCs they emit are an order of magnitude worse than a car. They probably contribute a lot to ozone warnings in the summer.

Of course, in my household, the men mow the lawns - either my son or I. I dont usually turf out the mowing and mower buying to the wife, but I do appreciate your modern idea of equality. ;)

I didn't say it had ZERO carbon footprint, I said it reduced it. Show me where an electric car has the same carbon footprint as a gasoline car.

The U.S. government has pumped $5.5 billion in federal grants and loans into manufacturing and promoting electric cars and batteries. But research by Bjorn Lomborg of the Copenhagen Consensus Center finds that a typical electric car driven 50,000 miles over its lifetime emits more carbon-dioxide than a similar-size gas-powered car driven the same distance.

The reason: manufacturing electric cars, which involves mining for lithium, produces over twice the amount of carbon-dioxide emissions (30,000 pounds for an electric car versus 14,000 for a conventional vehicle) as gas-powered cars.

Electric Car Manufacturing's Massive Carbon Footprint

So, if most of the carbon footprint of electric car production comes from it's battery, it would stand to reason that an electric device that doesn't use batteries (my mower, for example) would have a very small carbon footprint compared to it's gasoline powered cousin.

Bjorn Lomborg: Green Cars Have a Dirty Little Secret - WSJ.com

You might also want to read a dissenting opinion:
http://reneweconomy.com.au/2013/bjorn-lomborgs-hot-air-on-electric-cars-44728

Last edited:
So, if most of the carbon footprint of electric car production comes from it's battery, it would stand to reason that an electric device that doesn't use batteries (my mower, for example) would have a very small carbon footprint compared to it's gasoline powered cousin.

Bjorn Lomborg: Green Cars Have a Dirty Little Secret - WSJ.com

dude...the electricity that runs your mower has to be produced SOMEWHERE. that outlet you plug it into isn't a freakin "magic box" that ****s electricity.

dude...the electricity that runs your mower has to be produced SOMEWHERE. that outlet you plug it into isn't a freakin "magic box" that ****s electricity.
Dude - the article you cited specifically stated most of the carbon footprint from electrics came from their production (carbon) "cost" and most of that is from the battery. My mower doesn't use a battery.

A 2012 comprehensive life-cycle analysis in Journal of Industrial Ecology shows that almost half the lifetime carbon footprint -dioxide emissions from an electric car come from the energy used to produce the car, especially the battery. The mining of lithium, for instance, is a less than green activity.

Dude - the article you cited specifically stated most of the carbon footprint from electrics came from their production (carbon) "cost" and most of that is from the battery.

which was a response to your request to show that electric cars have a bigger carbon footprint than gasoline cars. which it does. I made no claim that the quote had anything to do with mowers.

My mower doesn't use a battery.

so, who supplies your electricity?

where I live, our electricity comes from 3 sources:

1. TVA (Tennesse Valley Authority) mainly hydroelectric from a series of dams on the Tennessee river

2. Brown's Ferry Nuclear reactor

3. TVA's Colbert Steam plant which burns coal.

so, in my area, it is possible that an electric mower would have a lower carbon footprint than a gas mower. though this is not true in all areas

which was a response to your request to show that electric cars have a bigger carbon footprint than gasoline cars. which it does. I made no claim that the quote had anything to do with mowers.
Which was in response to your supposition that electrics have no smaller carbon footprint than gasoline. You provided your evidence, which plainly showed electrics do have a smaller footprint than electrics if the battery is taken out of the equation.

[/QUOTE] so, who supplies your electricity?

where I live, our electricity comes from 3 sources:

1. TVA (Tennesse Valley Authority) mainly hydroelectric from a series of dams on the Tennessee river

2. Brown's Ferry Nuclear reactor

3. TVA's Colbert Steam plant which burns coal.

so, in my area, it is possible that an electric mower would have a lower carbon footprint than a gas mower. though this is not true in all areas[/QUOTE] Of course it's true in all areas. I'll quote the Wall Street Journal article since it gives more information then your cite ...

Thus, the life-cycle analysis shows that for every mile driven, the average electric car indirectly emits about six ounces of carbon-dioxide. This is still a lot better than a similar-size conventional car, which emits about 12 ounces per mile.
The electric creates about half the carbon emissions of the gasoline. No reason to assume it would be any different for an electric mower v a gas mower.

Which was in response to your supposition that electrics have no smaller carbon footprint than gasoline. You provided your evidence, which plainly showed electrics do have a smaller footprint than electrics if the battery is taken out of the equation.

take the battery out of the equation and you have a very large paperweight :lamo

The electric creates about half the carbon emissions of the gasoline. No reason to assume it would be any different for an electric mower v a gas mower.

sure, if you look at it in a vacuum without considering the carbon emmissions contributed by producing the electricity.

Last edited:
The best joke yet! :lamo
It's not a joke. It's proven science.

Those of us who are not ignorant of botany already knew that CO2 is very beneficial to plants.

I had one of those once and you are correct, Sir! They are a real job. I'm old and not up to that kind of strain.

Maybe I could get the wife to pitch in...

take the battery out of the equation and you have a very large paperweight :lamo
Yeah - my blender and my mower are just paperweights.
:lamo

sure, if you look at it in a vacuum without considering the carbon emmissions contributed by producing the electricity.
They were directly comparing the carbon emitted from electricity production to the carbon emitted for gasoline on a mile by mile basis. Electrics emit about half the carbon that gasoline does.

Last edited:
It's not a joke. It's proven science.

Seeing is Believing - YouTube

Those of us who are not ignorant of botany already knew that CO2 is very beneficial to plants.
CO2 is not only beneficial to plants, it's required - just as much as oxygen is for us.

It was your play on words that was funny - or didn't you mean to do that? :lol:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom