• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

green mower

sawyerloggingon

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
Political Leaning
Independent
My wife just bought one of these for her garden paths because the power mower is to cumbersome to get around in there. I was surprised how well it works and it got me wondering how many of you in the warmer cult use one of these to mow your lawns. If you think fossil fuel is destroying the planet wouldn't this be a good place to walk the walk ,literally? Maybe some of you do use pusher, if so speak now or forever hold your peace. :)

mower.jpg

Bugger that get a red one instead ! This is what you want ! And then I'm thinking dropping in a big block Chevy V8 with flaming side pipes, stick a turbo and some nitrous on it and off you go ! Just think of the greenies you'd upset ! :lol:

XX220HDGarten021.jpg

Last edited:
What would be cooler, is if they put mower blades on the bottom of Segways.

My wife just bought one of these for her garden paths because the power mower is to cumbersome to get around in there. I was surprised how well it works and it got me wondering how many of you in the warmer cult use one of these to mow your lawns. If you think fossil fuel is destroying the planet wouldn't this be a good place to walk the walk ,literally? Maybe some of you do use pusher, if so speak now or forever hold your peace. :)

View attachment 67147661

Very cool Sawyer- I have been wanting one of those- seriously.

I theoretically own an antique one sort of like that but it is bigger and has a green basket on the front with the Royal Warrant on it. I could tell you nothing about it as it went from my grandfather to my uncle to me and now one of my brothers has "borrowed it for a little while" about 5 years ago when he needed something to mow his freshly seeded yard that wouldn't destroy the new grass. I am not hopeful I will ever see it again, not that I ever used it.

Where did she find it? I think I remember seeing one on the Lehman's site, but it was pretty pricey, iirc.

I have seen small versions in hardware stores. IIRC, they were pricey for what they are, but not a fortune--like $125 or something.

The modern ones are great - smooth running, ball bearing wheels and comfort grips . . . etc. I have one which I use for certain areas where I mow most often. Of course - I have an acre to keep after, so I mostly use a classic walking-mower. I just bought a Honda. It's pretty fuel efficient considering.

View attachment 67147661

can you adjust the level of the cut?

View attachment 67147661

Wait until you go away for a week or so or it rains for three or four days in a row and then try to mow the lawn with that thing - you'll get good exercise dreaming up new swear words.

She got it at Big R a local farm store, $85.00

Pah ! I still think my red one would be a better solution and you would never lose it either (however much you wanted to) Because even if you loaned it out and it got stolen its emissions trail could always be tracked from orbit :lol:

The modern ones are great - smooth running, ball bearing wheels and comfort grips . . . etc. I have one which I use for certain areas where I mow most often. Of course - I have an acre to keep after, so I mostly use a classic walking-mower. I just bought a Honda. It's pretty fuel efficient considering.

When I lived up in Wisconsin, my late husband kept our acre cut, trimmed and citified. After he died, I decided, "To hell what THAT!!" I paced off 15 feet all around the house and mowed to there. Let the rest go to meadow. We were in the woods, so there were plenty of seeds besides dandelions. After a year? Most beautiful meadow!! Tourists who walked down the road past the house would ask me how I got it so pretty. Ha!

When I lived up in Wisconsin, my late husband kept our acre cut, trimmed and citified. After he died, I decided, "To hell what THAT!!" I paced off 15 feet all around the house and mowed to there. Let the rest go to meadow. We were in the woods, so there were plenty of seeds besides dandelions. After a year? Most beautiful meadow!! Tourists who walked down the road past the house would ask me how I got it so pretty. Ha!

Hehe :) That's how i am with the back half of the yard - it's just fallow and overgrown. I trim out the trees that crop up. Keep the flowers.

can you adjust the level of the cut?

Not on this one, it's a cheapo.

They make motorized commercial versions where you can change the height within a more narrow range than a riding mower with a dial on the top. They are used a lot for golf course greens. The down side it they are worthless in tall grass. The plus side is you can mow as short as fractions of an inch.

That said, I mow about an acre and use a riding mower. I turned most of my awkward spots into plant beds (like I just planted a bunch of spreading monkey grass under the apple trees that chokes out all weeds, stays shorts, and gets mowed to grass height if it spreads into the yard) and the ones that are left get sprayed with roundup. I weed eat once a year--in late spring to whack off the wild onions growing along the curb the mower doesn't get.

They make motorized commercial versions where you can change the height within a more narrow range than a riding mower with a dial on the top. They are used a lot for golf course greens. The down side it they are worthless in tall grass. The plus side is you can mow as short as fractions of an inch.

That said, I mow about an acre and use a riding mower. I turned most of my awkward spots into plant beds (like I just planted a bunch of spreading monkey grass under the apple trees that chokes out all weeds, stays shorts, and gets mowed to grass height if it spreads into the yard) and the ones that are left get sprayed with roundup. I weed eat once a year--in late spring to whack off the wild onions growing along the curb the mower doesn't get.

What riding mower do you have? I have a Craftsman that I mow an acre with, love it.

EDIT: This one to be precise, been a great machine.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...idingMowers&Tractors&sName=Yard Tractorsmv=rr

Last edited:
What riding mower do you have? I have a Craftsman that I mow an acre with, love it.

EDIT: This one to be precise, been a great machine.

Craftsman 46" Tractor: Get a Clean, Professional Cut at Sears

I bought the knockoff Troy Bilt 20 HP 42 or whatever deck. I looked at the craftsman and they looked like the exact same mower in green instead of red for $400 more. I have a craftsman tiller that I have had about 7 years with no problems, though I need to replace the tines.

View attachment 67147661
I used to have a push mower.I hated the thing and can understand why most people get a gas or electric mower. I suppose if you had a tiny yard it would make sense getting.This is what I used to have. 841821004156lg.jpg

If any one wants to complain, put on a serious face and tell them you're trying to get certified by the National Wildlife Federation as a local habitat.
:lol:

The original green mower ...

baby-sheep.jpg

View attachment 67147661

Soon as I was big enough to mow the lawn, my father COINCIDENTALLY tossed out the old gas-powered lawnmower and got one of these.

I think I still have that thing, actually. Old and rusted, but probably sitting in the garage still. My current one has a thingy to catch clippings! (which is ineffective)

Soon as I was big enough to mow the lawn, my father COINCIDENTALLY tossed out the old gas-powered lawnmower and got one of these.

I think I still have that thing, actually. Old and rusted, but probably sitting in the garage still. My current one has a thingy to catch clippings! (which is ineffective)

So you actually use a non power push mower now?

I bought the 15 y/o version of this when we moved into our new house ...

41WNRX5XHAL._SY355_.jpg

Back
Top Bottom