• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Gov't: 23K workers affected by Gulf oil drill ban

Yes, but that study predated the BP issue, dinnit?

People always have knee-jerk reactions to large events. If you're asking whether floridians support more drilling right now, then you're probably right. If you're asking whether they've supported it historically and whether they'll support it in the long term, I doubt the answer is the same.

And I would argue that that additional factor is infinitesimal. Do you really think that tourists are going to cancel their vacations because of a misconception about a moratorium that involves a small number of wells in the Gulf? I bet that 90+% of people don't even know what the moratorium is.

It is quite simple, which is why I'm not sure why you're again missing the fundamental issue - the reduction in probability of another spill that this moratorium will have. Again, you've not offered a shred of evidence to indicate that the moratorium will have any effect. If the effect is nil or vanishingly small, then the equation is pretty simple.

If I'm not mistaken, these jobs will be gone permanently or for many yrs. not short term. Am I correct, oil guys?

You got it, sister. Those rigs that are going to Brazil, aren't going to just pull off bottom and move back to teh GOM, just because the Obamatorium has been lifted.

Look on the bright side. This is just one more thing that will contribute to this goofy bastard getting his dumb ass run out of town on a rail, in 2012.

You don't get it. Obama writes off La as a red state. So he could care less what happens to the people in that state.

You don't get it. Obama writes off La as a red state. So he could care less what happens to the people in that state.

You don't get it. When he does that, he sends a message to every other American that he doesn't really want to be a leader, only get re-elected. In short, if he's willing to **** can Louisiana jobs--the second blackest state in the union--for political reasons, he'll do it to anyone.

He thinks he is smarter than everyone else, and sort of proved it by getting elected as someone who would bring the two parties together. He spins the halt to drilling as good for the environment, and screws a state ( and a govenor) he could care less about.

Let me spell it out for you more carefully, since you are being deliberately obtuse in the matter.
Yeah, deliberately obtuse. Go with that. :lamo That's the best evidence there is, spanky. The report is evidently unavailable online. You should feel honored that I actually wasted my precious time looking for it.

You will, however, be happy to know tourism is up in Florida.
Such vulgarity is really uncalled for.
I suggest you get used to it, or find another place to post. Either way, I don't give a ****, because I'm not changing. :shrug:
If you think all libertarians are right-wing corporate shills
Straw man. Google it.
I've forgotten more about politics than you probably ever knew.

So please enlighten me: which one of these botique branches describes you, sweetheart?

I suggest you get used to it, or find another place to post. Either way, I don't give a ****, because I'm not changing.

Just trying to offer some friendly advice, you don't have to take it. You can be as vulgar as you wish. I've noticed the people who don't abide by the forum rules don't tend to last very long, so we'll see who's the one finding another place to post...

Says the guy with 606 posts to the guy with 4544..... :lamo

You don't even know what the ****ing rules are, fish. :lamo

That's funny, a n00b lecturing me on forum etiquitte. Go mind someone else's business, hero.

LOL........ like some POS article on the internet is going to over turn 6 Supreme Court opinions and 196 years of Constitutional law.

Youss funny guy. :lamo

So SCOTUS has ruled that babies born to American parents on American bases overseas or in US embassies over seas are not natural born?

Care to cite the case in which they ruled that?

There aren't millions of oilfield jobs on the gulf, for starters. Secondly, the only jobs impacted by the moratorium are NEW drilling in deepwater wells. Try harder.
You're wrong. There are literally millions of oil jobs on the gulf, for starters there are the primary jobs on the rigs. Secondly there are support jobs that swing between land/sea. Then there are the land support jobs and of course administrative, Houston is an oil town with literally millions of oilfield jobs. This is without the populations of Louisiana, Mississippi, and other southern states. So yes there are millions of oilfield jobs on the gulf without even including the service sectors that make money from those particular workers.

You're right. And those people aren't being affected by this moratorium. That was my point. The moratorium only applies to DRILLING NEW DEEPWATER WELLS.

God damn.

So SCOTUS has ruled that babies born to American parents on American bases overseas or in US embassies over seas are not natural born?

Care to cite the case in which they ruled that?

Find out what the conversation is before you jump in with your strawman.

The doom and gloom seems a bit premature.

So far, few oil rig workers have been laid off

Could be that it's not profitable for them to go elsewhere, especially in anticipation of the moratorium ending soon.

And the administration has dropped repeated hints that the offshore drilling ban will be eased or removed before it is set to expire on Nov. 30.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/25/us/25drill.html?hp

ooops ... another oil rig disaster on the gulf coast you say - by the organizations that were protesting the moratorium yesterday
Think Progress » One Day Before Its Gulf Oil Rig Exploded, Mariner Energy Said Obama ‘Is Trying To Break Us’ With Moratorium

It doesn't appear that this incident is even in the same ballpark as the first incident, so I don't know what this proves.

i'll type slowly

the organizations which had protested the oil drilling moratorium experienced a drill rig blowout the following day

23,000 people lose their jobs, that's pretty stupid.

i'll type slowly

the organizations which had protested the oil drilling moratorium experienced a drill rig blowout the following day

No matter how condecending you want to be, Vermillion 360 is a production platform, not a drilling rig.

Is there going to be a moratorium on production platforms, now?

i'll type slowly

Rather than typing slowly, I suggest you use that time to read a bit more about what happened.

The first incident was a blowout that caused the largest oil leak in US history,
This incident was a small fire, not a blowout, and caused no oil leak whatsoever.

The platform could have been manned by BP's board of directors and it still wouldn't mean a goddamn thing, as the two incidents are not even remotely the same.

Calm Down People: Factchecking Thursday’s Oil Fire in the Gulf - TIME NewsFeed

Last edited:
How do you like this... The Obama administration knew the oil drill ban would cost 23,000 jobs, but did it anyway...

Hope & Change baby!

Gov't: 23K workers affected by Gulf oil drill ban - Yahoo! News

The (I don't want to say criminal) aspect of this is they forged documents to support their actions.

Rather than typing slowly, I suggest you use that time to read a bit more about what happened.
identify the part i got wrong

that the Obama administration has chosen a wise governmental practice to impose a moratorium to assure that off shore drilling procedures are safe and adequately monitored before enabling additional oil drilling incidents to occur in the gulf
recognize that the very organizations which campaigned against such precautionary measures are the ones we now see experiencing oil drilling incidents
i have made this observation as simple as is possible in the hopes you will now be able to grasp it

identify the part i got wrong

It's not that you got anything wrong, it's that you don't appear to understand why that's entirely irrelevant.

Obama's moratorium was on 1) deep water 2) drilling.
This incident 1) did not involve deep water 2) or drilling.

I'm not sure why this is so hard to understand.

Imagine that Congress passed a law banning the consumption of alcohol because it leads to drunk driving. I march in the streets to protest that law. On the way home from that rally, I answer my phone while driving and crash into a pole. Using your logic, the fact that I crashed is proof that prohibition is necessary.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…