• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Government Spending 2008 Broken Down

Lakryte

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
I created a pie chart based of the data from the Congressional Budget Office. Here is a website with more pie charts/information:
How does the federal government spend its money?

GovernmentSpending2008JPEG.jpg

How do you think the government should change its spending? Less on Defense? Less on Social Programs?

Discuss in this topic.

I created a pie chart based of the data from the Congressional Budget Office. Here is a website with more pie charts/information:
How does the federal government spend its money?

How do you think the government should change its spending? Less on Defense? Less on Social Programs?

Discuss in this topic.

Less across the board until the deficit and debt are taken care of.

It should read --

Defending and Expanding Government Power: 100%

Well... Lets see here. It looks to me, like we've got ourselves a big problem.

The one thing I know for sure, is that mandatory spending will have to increase on a large scale, or most of those programs will go bankrupt.

Social Security is in far worse shape that even Bush thought. I just read something about it becoming insolvent within the next couple of years, so if we don't dump a lot more cash into soon, government checks are going to start bouncing.

Medicaid and Medicare are about as bad off as SS is. They too are going bankrupt, so they're going to have to increase it's funding... Which brings me to the proposed government health care plan. I would like someone to explain to me, exactly how in the hell we can possibly pay for it?

Then there's military spending. That one is always a crap shoot. We can ill afford to deplete our military readiness, even if we pulled out of the middle east today. We can't afford to make the mistake the Clinton administration did. They cut our military by 28%, and it came back to bite us in the ass after 9/11.

Well, like I said... Looks like we've got ourselves a big problem.

Interest and Defense, less for sure! And health care, less for sure !

Neither can be accomplished right away. Scratch that, none can be accomplished right away (I edited to add health care, thus nullifying the 'neither').

we far outspend other nations on defense; we can't even get our NATO allies to go UP to the required % of GDP spent on defense. We outstrip it, by far.

Eisenhower was right to warn about the military industrial complex.

Last edited:
the govt is obligated to pay interest

htat is non-negotiable

I would like to see the pie chart for next year

Interest and Defense, less for sure!

Please tell me you are not advocating defaulting on our debt. Of all the spending we have, that is one thing that would be truly unacceptable to cut.

Please tell me you are not advocating defaulting on our debt. Of all the spending we have, that is one thing that would be truly unacceptable to cut.

Nope, that's why I said neither could be accomplished right away.
But Clinton was going the right way. Freaking Greenspan was worried that we might actually pay off our debt!!!

His testimony before the 2001 Bush cuts damaged our country's security greatly ....

Irresponsible republicans .... then they compounded it by eliminating paygo altogether .... They should never be allowed to be in control of the purse strings again. EVER.

Nope, that's why I said neither could be accomplished right away.
But Clinton was going the right way. Freaking Greenspan was worried that we might actually pay off our debt!!!

His testimony before the 2001 Bush cuts damaged our country's security greatly ....

Irresponsible republicans .... then they compounded it by eliminating paygo altogether .... They should never be allowed to be in control of the purse strings again. EVER.

Our monetary system by nature has to be in debt otherwise is will crash in on itself.
A contraction of the monetary supply is what caused the depression.

Our monetary system by nature has to be in debt otherwise is will crash in on itself.
A contraction of the monetary supply is what caused the depression.

yea, so said alan greenspan :shock:

yea, so said alan greenspan :shock:

It has nothing to do with Greenspan and everything to do with the nature of our money and it's creation.

We have a debt currency, more currency is injected primarily by increasing debt.
That debt accrues interest which there is not enough money in existence to pay off thus there is a need for more debt.

It has nothing to do with Greenspan and everything to do with the nature of our money and it's creation.

We have a debt currency, more currency is injected primarily by increasing debt.
That debt accrues interest which there is not enough money in existence to pay off thus there is a need for more debt.

Not so. Actually, what Greenspan was worried about was having so much cash that we wouldn't know what to do with it. BTW, his arguments made no sense then, and less sense now.

GREENSPAN FLASHBACK – WE NEED TAX CUTS TO REDUCE REVENUE: Yesterday, Greenspan argued that the tax cuts should be extended because allowing them to rise to their previous levels would "pose significant risks to...the revenue base." But when he argued in favor of Bush's first tax cut in January 2001, he made the opposite argument – that lowering tax rates was necessary to reduce revenue. Greenspan was worried that the government would quickly pay off the entire deficit and be awash in so much money it wouldn't have anywhere productive to spend it. The WP reported on 1/27/01 that Greenspan "justified his support of tax cuts by focusing on a problem that may not even emerge until the end of a possible second Bush term – the government being forced to buy private assets because it had paid off all the national debt and still had buckets of cash left over." Given the dramatic turnaround in the nation's fiscal health – a $9.3 trillion turnaround in just three years – Greenspan's prediction was horribly wrong.

eRiposte Economy - Tax and Budgetary Policy: Alan Greenspan kneels before Bush/Rove

Greenspanspeak and the Bush Tax Cut

Much of the discussion surrounding Greenspan's new book has centered on his effort to disassociate himself from President Bush's tax cuts. Greenspan claims that he had made his support contingent on maintaining a budget surplus. Of course, Greenspan’s qualifications were not widely reported at the time, the coverage focused solely on his approval of the Bush plan. Greenspan knew how his comments were being reported and certainly could have taken steps to correct any misimpressions if he saw a need.

It is also worth noting that Greenspan’s argument for the tax cut did not make any sense, given what he knew about the economy at the time. Greenspan claimed that he was worried that we would pay off the national debt too quickly and then the government would be forced to buy private assets like stocks and bonds. Since he didn’t want the federal government to own stocks and bonds, he argued that it was better to slow the rate at which the debt was paid off.

Of course the reality, which Greenspan recognized at the time, was that the surplus projections in 2001 were ridiculous. The stock crash was throwing the economy into a recession. The crash itself would cost the government close to $600 billion in lost capital gains tax revenue over the ten-year budget horizon from 2001 forward. The coming recession would also drastically reduce, if not eliminate, the surplus even without a tax cut.

Greenspan knew that there was a stock bubble, and presumably by January of 2001 he recognized that it was finally bursting. This meant that he could not have really believed at the time that there was a risk that the government actually would see the large surpluses that were projected, and therefore he could not have really been concerned that the debt would be paid off too quickly.

In short, the line about paying off the debt too quickly was simply an excuse that Greenspan gave for supporting President Bush’s tax cut. It would be appropriate to mention this fact in the accounts of Greenspan’s book.

--Dean Baker

Beat the Press Archive | The American Prospect

Chairman Greenspan's testimony - page 22, etc.
http://fraser.stlouisfed.org/historicaldocs/CMPS/download/17598/CMP_107S_02132001.pdf

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom