• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Gov. Greg Abbott says Texas will send migrants to Washington, D.C., on charter buses

Sometimes you just have to shake your head at the stupidity of our governor...

As federal officials brace for an increase of thousands more migrants at an already busy southern border, Gov. Greg Abbott said Wednesday that Texas will provide charter buses to border communities so migrants can be sent to Washington, D.C., where the Biden administration can better deal with them.

"To help local officials whose communities are being overwhelmed by hordes of illegal immigrants who are being dropped off by the Biden administration, Texas is providing charter buses to send these illegal immigrants who have been dropped off by the Biden administration to Washington D.C.," Abbott said in a press conference in Weslaco."We are sending them to the United States Capitol where the Biden administration will be able to more immediately address the needs of the people that they are allowing to come across our border."

Is Abbott running for Pres, you think? Because he has been doing a monkey-see-monkey-do routine with Gov DeSantis for months. Is this a competition or a mutual admiration society?

What's the problem? The Dems wanted this, so send the problems that comes with it to Dem areas.
I'm on a border state and am glad to see extra workers pour over our border. We are so short staffed that many places have to close early to accommodate it.

Humans are humans, bring them on in, give them a job, and let's get this ball rolling!! Hopefully they bring kids because Americas population is falling for another year.

I'm curious, what's the Republican solution to our dwindling population and lack of workers? Nothing? Or is it outlawing abortion?

Then why do they quote Leviticus 19 to defend hating gay people?
In my experience the ones more seasoned in apologetics avoid quoting the OT when justifying their disgust with gays, because they know they can't be consistent about following all the other OT laws.

Biden has the authority, Abbott does not

It will probably face court challenges, but you have to admit he's a tough governor who has already made unprecedented changes to control the flow of illegal immigration and asylum seekers by using the TX. national guard, state troopers, and installing more border barriers. I read that TX is expecting at least 18,000 more to cross over their border on a daily basis once Title 42 ends. So I give him a lot of credit for trying to do more to help his state because Biden sure isn't doing enough.

As federal officials brace for an increase of thousands more migrants at an already busy southern border, Gov. Greg Abbott said Wednesday that Texas will provide charter buses to border communities so migrants can be sent to Washington, D.C., where the Biden administration can better deal with them.

"To help local officials whose communities are being overwhelmed by hordes of illegal immigrants who are being dropped off by the Biden administration, Texas is providing charter buses to send these illegal immigrants who have been dropped off by the Biden administration to Washington D.C.," Abbott said in a press conference in Weslaco."We are sending them to the United States Capitol where the Biden administration will be able to more immediately address the needs of the people that they are allowing to come across our border."

Do Texans have the right to apprehend individuals, if they're not otherwise breaking the law?

This is pretty scary stuff!

Do Texans have the right to apprehend individuals, if they're not otherwise breaking the law?

This is pretty scary stuff!
Texas Gov. Greg Abbott ordered state troopers on Wednesday to begin stopping and inspecting commercial vehicles coming across the U.S-Mexico border. If they find things or people that aren't supposed to be in those commercial vehicles, heck yes, the state has the right to apprehend and arrest. They do in the border city near me. Why wouldn't they be able to do it in TX.?

Oh, and states are preempted in areas the feds already occupied. This looks like an attempt to both legislate and enforce federal immigration law. It's about the dumbest red meat possible.

That was my concern I voiced to the OP.

"Can Texas authorities apprehend individuals otherwise not breaking the law?"

This is a dangerous thing.

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott ordered state troopers on Wednesday to begin stopping and inspecting commercial vehicles coming across the U.S-Mexico border. If they find things or people that aren't supposed to be in those commercial vehicles, heck yes, the state has the right to apprehend and arrest. They do in the border city near me. Why wouldn't they be able to do it in TX.?

So you're saying the 'crime' is being in a commercial vehicle?

And do they have probable cause to stop these vehicles?

We've got to be careful not cede our rights away.

How can Abbott legally put anyone not under arrest on a bus? I'd tell him to take a hike.

He can't but he can offer them a paid trip out of Texas on a chartered bus.

Last edited:
So you're saying the 'crime' is being in a commercial vehicle?

And do they have probable cause to stop these vehicles?

We've got to be careful not cede our rights away.

No, I said the crime is being in a commercial vehicle if the things or people don't belong there as in smuggled drugs and people without documentation or authorization. Nobody, no vehicle can come waltzing across the US border without being checked by authorities.

From my source below:
"Texas has deployed thousands of troopers and National Guard members, installed new border barrier and arrested thousands of migrants on trespassing charges. "

What's illegal about it? What rights of ours has Abbott ceded? All commercial vehicles, and vehicles are subject to border checks by the federal government already... If he doesn't have enough federal help, and he clearly doesn't, he has the right to deploy more from his own state.

SAN ANTONIO (AP) — Texas Gov. Greg Abbott ordered state troopers on Wednesday to begin stopping and inspecting commercial vehicles coming across the U.S-Mexico border and said bus charters would be offered to take migrants to Washington, D.C., in a dig at President Joe Biden and Congress.

Texas officials also said they would begin “increased military activity” on the southern border and install razor wire at some low-water along the river to deter migrants from crossing.

The new directives amount to the “unprecedented actions” that Abbott promised in response to the Biden administration winding down a public health law – now set to expire in May – that has limited asylum-seekers in the name of preventing the spread of COVID-19. When that happens, it is expected to draw potentially thousands more migrants to the southern border.

Flanked by Texas troopers in the border city of Weslaco, Abbott acknowledged that additional inspections of commercial vehicles near the U.S. ports of entry will “dramatically slow” vehicle traffic coming into the county.

But the latest orders further push the limits of a multibillion-dollar Texas border security mission that the two-term Republican governor, who is running for reelection in November, has made the cornerstone of his administration. Already, Texas has deployed thousands of troopers and National Guard members, installed new border barrier and arrested thousands of migrants on trespassing charges.

Last edited:

Brilliant move! Don't know why someone didn't think of it sooner. If it was me I would drop them off on Biden's doorstep.

That would be called human trafficking unless every person on that bus agrees to the free ride. They can also disembark at any stop.
Interestingly, the story I read said they were ‘willing’ migrants.

While it’s kinda disgusting to use humans as a political stunt, I’m guessing the job market in the Northeast is going to absorb these workers very very fast.

Wouldn't transporting "illegals" make Abbott a criminal?

What's the problem? The Dems wanted this, so send the problems that comes with it to Dem areas.
Yeah send them. We could uses some people that actually work unlike baby back bitch Cons.

I'm on a border state and am glad to see extra workers pour over our border. We are so short staffed that many places have to close early to accommodate it.

Humans are humans, bring them on in, give them a job, and let's get this ball rolling!! Hopefully they bring kids because Americas population is falling for another year.

I'm curious, what's the Republican solution to our dwindling population and lack of workers? Nothing? Or is it outlawing abortion?

Argh!

I am with you in virtually everything - but not this.

All my life I've had ties to legal immigrants, in my family, friends, and associate. Literally since my birth, growing-up in an immigrant community. Get to know some legal immigrants, and see what they think of illegal's. Ditto for those that work illegally, and skip out on taxes.

There's a right way, and a wrong way. Breaking laws as one's first act in the country is not what we want in our prospective future citizens. Nor is working illegally and skipping on taxes what we want, either.

I'm sorry, but without adherence to law & order, we have nothing - all is lost! Law, and adherence to law, is what differentiates a republic from free-for-all malee.

Then you would be accused of being hateful, because he can't. He's in a wheelchair.
Then he can't race Madison Cawthorn off a short pier.

What specifically is stupid about it?

They should. We need more people that want to be Americans.

That's fine. I'm sure he'll have many takers. As long as the taxpayers approve, I couldn't care less.

I agree but I do care because I ask myself why Texas should be stuck with all the burden because Biden chose to stupidly eliminate Title 42 authority. Abbott has to do something when 18,000 a day start pouring over their borders.

I agree but I do care because I ask myself why Texas should be stuck with all the burden because Biden chose to stupidly eliminate Title 42 authority.
Biden is going ballz to the wall trying to turn TX blue. Dems see this as key to their forever power.

Back
Top Bottom