• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

GOP wants to increase defense spending while demanding even more cuts elsewhere

Sure, but we could spend that money on something more constructive (figuratively and literally) than a defense contract.
Oh I don't disagree, but that's the hard reality that makes this really difficult politically. Any politician who's district includes one with a defense contractor is likely to buck cuts in defense spending.

being required is different than increasing said spending.....its already being provided for....
With requirements comes spending, what dollar amount that is, is something you refuse to discuss. I posted the Budget breakdown for the 2022 Biden Budget, 6.0 TRILLION Dollars that showed defense at 636 billion or a little over 10% hardly proving that to be a REQUIREMENT

With requirements comes spending, what dollar amount that is, is something you refuse to discuss. I posted the Budget breakdown for the 2022 Biden Budget, 6.0 TRILLION Dollars that showed defense at 636 billion or a little over 10% hardly proving that to be a REQUIREMENT
there should be no extra spending if we have to make cuts anywhere.

there should be no extra spending if we have to make cuts anywhere.
I am not supporting an increase in defense spending only pointing out the discrepancy between that spending and the total budget. Cut that budget 1 trillion dollars and the percentage to defense goes up significantly and I gave you the items to cut

You are stuck in the way back machine with the other dinosaurs. Everyone understands that the we live in a much, much different time than the "good ole days" of 200 yrs ago. Government evolves with time and sheds antiquated rules/traditions without the process.
He thinks "promote general welfare" is outfitting all federal senators and congressmen with pom-poms and them cheering, "GOOOooooooooo GENERAL WELFARE!!!!!!"

Wasn't Trump's $700 billion enough; and what, exactly, is the US 'defending' against? The US already has countless nukes, the most advanced military, ground forces, aircraft and satellite technology. What more does it need?

Investing in your workforce is not wasteful spending

So republican governors can eliminate the programs and misuse use funds for partisan purposes?

NO!

Many conservatives do.
Yes, and those conservatives are invariably in the 'certain age' demographic, and haven't progressed beyond the 1960s and the hippie 'get your hair cut, commie!' phenomenon. Should we tell them there aren't any hippies left, or leave them to indulge their delusions? Disclaimer, I'm 70 and firmly within that demographic.

I wonder if anyone here truly understands the role of the Federal govt so let me remind you, PROVIDE FOR THE COMMON DEFENSE

Not that I agree with the GOP on increasing spending I will point out that the Defense spending is a very small percentage of the US Budget which in 2022 was 6.0 Trillion dollars, 636 is what, 10% of the budget? This shows just how out of touch the left is with the Constitution of the United States. If any line items in the budget need to be increased it should be Defense

DEPARTMENTBUDGET
DEPT OF DEFENSE$636.4

I am guessing for you "common defense" and trillion dollar imperial adventures like the Iraq War is the same thing eh?

No money for helping poor kids in the US, but infinite money for blowing poor kids in Iraq eh?

Wasn't Trump's $700 billion enough; and what, exactly, is the US 'defending' against? The US already has countless nukes, the most advanced military, ground forces, aircraft and satellite technology. What more does it need?
oh, it costs lots of money to keep that stuff up......but I am with you on we aren't at war so we should not be increasing any military spending and probably should cut it back a bit. That doesn't include benefits for vets or any of that jazz either.

I am guessing for you "common defense" and trillion dollar imperial adventures like the Iraq War is the same thing eh?

No money for helping poor kids in the US, but infinite money for blowing poor kids in Iraq eh?
Nice thinking with your heart rhetoric, now try using your brain. Any idea what state and local responsibilities are? The Iraq War was in response to the Trillion dollar attack on America unlike the JFK/LBJ Vietnam War.

Nice thinking with your heart rhetoric, now try using your brain. Any idea what state and local responsibilities are? The Iraq War was in response to the Trillion dollar attack on America unlike the JFK/LBJ Vietnam War.

What did Iraq have to do with 9/11?

Also when was the last war that the US fought that was worth the cost in terms of blood and treasure?

The Iraq invasion was the biggest foreign policy screw-up in recent US history, and was 'justified' by a web of idiotic lies a five ear-old could see through. Nobody 'won', the Iraqi people were the losers and are still suffering the consequences of an arrogant, imperialist invader which couldn't even attack the right country-Saudi Arabia which provided the majority of the funding for the 9-11 attack, and 14 of the 19 terrorists involved.

Last edited:
The Iraq invasion was the biggest foreign policy screw-up in recent US history, and was 'justified' by a web of idiotic lies a five ear-old could see through. Nobody 'won', the Iraqi people were the losers and are still suffering the consequences of an arrogant, imperialist invader which couldn't even attack the right country-Saudi Arabia which provided the majority of the funding for the 9-11 attack, and 14 of the 19 terrorists involved.
Thank you for your biased, partisan opinion and one that your country participated in as if that matters today. What matters today is what the true role of the Federal gov't is and if their main purpose in spending is for the Common defense, is 10% of the budget indicative of that.

Thank you for your biased, partisan opinion and one that your country participated in as if that matters today. What matters today is what the true role of the Federal gov't is and if their main purpose in spending is for the Common defense, is 10% of the budget indicative of that.

A lot of waste and corruption in the military-industrial complex.

We have what one might call, not a welfare state, but a warfare state. Defense dollars go to providing jobs for civilians and benefits for those who join. When its couched in terms of defending the country, there seems to be virtually no end to the gravy train.

The latest negotiation seems to have eliminated the increase in defense spending. They are talking about taking funding form the IRS, which the GOP is crazy about, except it will add to the deficit, not reduce it. So again, they show that reducing the deficit isn't really a priority.

A lot of waste and corruption in the military-industrial complex.

We have what one might call, not a welfare state, but a warfare state. Defense dollars go to providing jobs for civilians and benefits for those who join. When its couched in terms of defending the country, there seems to be virtually no end to the gravy train.
A lot of waste in social spending as well but why doesn't that resonate? Doesn't appear that you or many here understand the true role of the federal gov't ignoring that most social programs belong to the states

I wonder if anyone here truly understands the role of the Federal govt so let me remind you, PROVIDE FOR THE COMMON DEFENSE

Which is achieved by having a military, not a military 10x more expensive than the next 10 countries combined, and not by funneling trillions of dollars to defense contractors. There's tens of billions, if not trillions of dollars that have gone unaccounted for. Not just wasted, but not even on the books.

But we need to give them more, while literally taking the food out of starving people's mouths, and while defending tax cuts for the rich which blow a $2 trillion+ hole in the deficit.

It's disgusting, and anyone who defends this is a disgusting, morally repugnant human being.

A lot of waste in social spending as well but why doesn't that resonate?

Define waste for me. Spending (very little) on the poor and disadvantaged is not waste, it's called the bare minimum of maintaining a modern civilization.

Do define it for me. And give me examples of what should be cut to protect the ultra-wealthy Trump tax cuts and pad the wallets of defense contractors.

Which is achieved by having a military, not a military 10x more expensive than the next 10 countries combined, and not by funneling trillions of dollars to defense contractors. There's tens of billions, if not trillions of dollars that have gone unaccounted for. Not just wasted, but not even on the books.

But we need to give them more, while literally taking the food out of starving people's mouths, and while defending tax cuts for the rich which blow a $2 trillion+ hole in the deficit.

It's disgusting, and anyone who defends this is a disgusting, morally repugnant human being.
The population is more than 10 times bigger than many of the countries you are touting. The Biden budget request in 2022 was 6.0 trillion dollars with 10% of that to defense. What is disgusting is the ignorance of the left in believing that is too high for the defense of 330+ million Americans. I suggest you educate yourself before making posts like this one.

Define waste for me. Spending (very little) on the poor and disadvantaged is not waste, it's called the bare minimum of maintain a modern civilization.

Do define it for me. And give me examples of what should be cut to protect the ultra-wealthy Trump tax cuts and pad the wallets of defense contractors.
Here we go again, someone who ignores the waste, fraud, and abuse in social issues as you think with your heart instead of the brain and doing research. Pretty simple, money not going as intended, stolen, or misapplied is abuse

A lot of waste in social spending as well but why doesn't that resonate? Doesn't appear that you or many here understand the true role of the federal gov't ignoring that most social programs belong to the states

Yes, we have been through this. The reality is that this makes no sense. The states simply do not provide the needed services that the fed provides, otherwise the fed wouldn't be providing them. And if the states did provide them, with their more regressive tax system, the burden would fall on those least able to pay.

This is basically a fantasy of yours.

The population is more than 10 times bigger than many of the countries you are touting.

Um, most of the countries have a much larger population, and defense isn't calculated by population. What a stupid comment.

The Biden budget request in 2022 was 6.0 trillion dollars with 10% of that to defense. What is disgusting is the ignorance of the left in believing that is too high for the defense of 330+ million Americans. I suggest you educate yourself before making posts like this one.

Do the math on 10% of 6 trillion, then add it up over 10 years + the sweeteners (tens of billions more than they ask for).

Here we go again, someone who ignores the waste, fraud, and abuse in social issues as you think with your heart instead of the brain and doing research. Pretty simple, money not going as intended, stolen, or misapplied is abuse

Congress could allocate money for technology to help stop it.

Back
Top Bottom