• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

GOP wants to increase defense spending while demanding even more cuts elsewhere

China and India both have a billion people and spend way less on the military than the US does.
How exactly do you know how much China spends on their military and defense, it is a gov't controlled media
Why can't common defense be a 100 to 200 billion dollars elite defense force that protects US shores, why does it have to be a 700 billion dollar empire? Where in the Constitution does it say the government has to spend 700 billion dollars a year on defense. You are taking a vague sentence in the Constitution and spinning it out into a giant empire that has nothing to do with common defense.
Because you cannot build a wall high enough to keep missiles out
The US just flat out lost 12 billion dollars in Iraq one time:
Out of the trillion dollar budgets? We lost over a Trillion dollars due to 9/11
Would you fine with any other government agency just losing 12 billion dollars?
12 billion dollars is what percentage of 6.0 trillion?

The purpose of the United States Gov't is to PROVIDE for the common defense, 10% of the budget is a drop in the bucket. Is it enough, according to you until there is an attack then you will blame whoever is in charge for that attack

It is only ignorant according to you and you have no credibility. Here is the fricken budget, educate yourself. There isn't anything conservative about anything you post and most people know it. Those posters you support prove exactly my point. Conservatives believe in people keeping more of what they earn. You ought to be ashamed of yourself helping put Biden in the WH. Where is your apology

Ohh.. contraire
Your posts show you didn't understand how Medicare and social security were funded..and how federal income tax pays the treasury notes they hold.
You didn't understand that the Trump tax cuts did increase the deficit..and that the economic growth you attribute to the tax cut was pretty much the same the year before when there wasn't a tax cut!.
And the following year the economy grew LESS. even with the tax cut in place!!!.
You've shown you don't understand mandatory OR discretionary spending.
You had no idea nor a care in the world that during the Trump administration the debt ceiling was raised or suspended three times.

You are so NOT a conservative. You are a right wing liberal who loves spending and loves government insolvent as long as they fit your right wing ideology

How exactly do you know how much China spends on their military and defense, it is a gov't controlled media.
Do you have a different number for the Chinese defense budget? Or do you want to spend 700 billion dollars a year on based some imaginary Chinese number?

Okay, what about India then? Why does the US need to spend more on defense then a country with a billion people with China next door?
Because you cannot build a wall high enough to keep missiles out

That's true of every country, the counties of the rest of the world still spends less on defense than the US, why is the 700 billion dollars budget necessary?

Out of the trillion dollar budgets? We lost over a Trillion dollars due to 9/11

So would you be fine if the Department of Education just lost 12 billion dollars one day?
12 billion dollars is what percentage of 6.0 trillion?

The purpose of the United States Gov't is to PROVIDE for the common defense, 10% of the budget is a drop in the bucket. Is it enough, according to you until there is an attack then you will blame whoever is in charge for that attack

How did the wars in Iraq or Vietnam provide common defense for the US? How much did those wars cost? How were they paid for?

Last edited:
Ohh.. contraire
Your posts show you didn't understand how Medicare and social security were funded..and how federal income tax pays the treasury notes they hold.
Then you are reading challenged as I know exactly how SS and Medicare are funded, FICA and interest expense paid for out of FIT. What you never do is post Treasury revenue showing that interest expense and federal operating expenses aren't being funded after the tax cuts
You didn't understand that the Trump tax cuts did increase the deficit..and that the economic growth you attribute to the tax cut was pretty much the same the year before when there wasn't a tax cut!.
And the following year the economy grew LESS. even with the tax cut in place!!!.
And as usual you haven't posted data supporting your claim. Then like most math challenged liberals you think 900 billion per year in GDP dollar growth is the same as 500 billion growth because they are the same % changed. That is denominator challenged
You've shown you don't understand mandatory OR discretionary spending.
You had no idea nor a care in the world that during the Trump administration the debt ceiling was raised or suspended three times.
According to you, the link explains it but liberals like you only buy rhetoric
You are so NOT a conservative. You are a right wing liberal who loves spending and loves government insolvent as long as they fit your right wing ideology
ROFLMAO, you aren't good judge of conservatives as to you it is all about a balanced budget without context

Then you are reading challenged as I know exactly how SS and Medicare are funded, FICA and interest expense paid for out of FIT. What you never do is post Treasury revenue showing that interest expense and federal operating expenses aren't being funded after the tax cuts

And as usual you haven't posted data supporting your claim. Then like most math challenged liberals you think 900 billion per year in GDP dollar growth is the same as 500 billion growth because they are the same % changed. That is denominator challenged

According to you, the link explains it but liberals like you only buy rhetoric

ROFLMAO, you aren't good judge of conservatives as to you it is all about a balanced budget without context
1. Naw you didn't. It took FOREVER to get you to understand that the reason that fit funds Medicare and social security is because it's paying back treasury bonds. And occasionally you still flub up.
2. Nah. See you don't get it. BECAUSE you are a right wing liberal..you think when a republican is in office..any and all economic growth is due to them.
It's inconceivable to you that the private sector can grow the economy without government ( republican government).
That's why you think that when the economy grew the year the tax cut took effect. That all the Growth was due to Trump.
When in reality..the economy didn't grow really any faster than the year before..without a tax cut.
So your " but but revenue went up"
Doesn't mean squat except that the economy grew very little to none because of the tax cut.
Which means if Trump had simply left taxes alone. The economy would have grown the same AND the treasury would have brought in MORE revenue..meaning less deficit.
Good lord I tried to break it down you. Try to keep you focused. But nope. You couldn't understand. Heck I even gave you the TREASURY DEPARTMENTS analysis explaining how the tax cut increased the deficit. All to no avail.
3. Naw..we have been over this. You've been challenged to cite what positions I have that aren't conservative. And you fail miserably.
All you got is basically I am not a hypocrite... see to you..a good conservative has to
be a hypocrite and ignore fiscal irresponsibility when Republicans do it..and then call any and all Democrat actions terrible.
Problem for you is. I am a true conservative and have championed fiscal responsibility whomever the president and small effective government whomever the president.

1. Naw you didn't. It took FOREVER to get you to understand that the reason that fit funds Medicare and social security is because it's paying back treasury bonds. And occasionally you still flub up

FIT PAYS treasury bond interesr, not FICA
2. Nah. See you don't get it. BECAUSE you are a right wing liberal..you think when a republican is in office..any and all economic growth is due to them.
It's inconceivable to you that the private sector can grow the economy without government ( republican government).
Prove that FIT, Cit. Exise tax revenue after the tax cuts didnt pay for Discretionary budget and interest expense. I won't hold my breath
That's why you think that when the economy grew the year the tax cut took effect. That all the Growth was due to Trump.
yes,900 billion is more than 500 billion per year, and almost 8 million new taxpayers in 3 years is better than 6 million in 9
When in reality..the economy didn't grow really any faster than the year before..without a tax cut.
Doesn't mean squat except that the economy grew very little to none because of the tax cut.
Which means if Trump had simply left taxes alone. The economy would have grown the same AND the treasury would have brought in MORE revenue..meaning less deficit.
Good lord I tried to break it down you. Try to keep you focused. But nope. You couldn't understand. Heck I even gave you the TREASURY DEPARTMENTS analysis explaining how the tax cut increased the deficit. All to no avail.
You are totally incapable of doimg research
3. Naw..we have been over this. You've been challenged to cite what positions I have that aren't conservative. And you fail miserably.
All you got is basically I am not a hypocrite... see to you..a good conservative has to
be a hypocrite and ignore fiscal irresponsibility when Republicans do it..and then call any and all Democrat actions terrible.
Problem for you is. I am a true conservative and have championed fiscal responsibility whomever the president and small effective government whomever the president.
No, the problem is total ignorance of taxes, revenue. And the budget

We are done until you prove FIT. CIT, Excise taxes after the tax cuts didn't pay for the issue I stated

FIT PAYS treasury bond interesr, not FICA

Prove that FIT, Cit. Exise tax revenue after the tax cuts didnt pay for Discretionary budget and interest expense. I won't hold my breath

yes,900 billion is more than 500 billion per year, and almost 8 million new taxpayers in 3 years is better than 6 million in 9

You are totally incapable of doimg research

No, the problem is total ignorance of taxes, revenue. And the budget

We are done until you prove FIT. CIT, Excise taxes after the tax cuts didn't pay for the issue I stated
1. Yay..folks he got one right!!!.. but for how long???
2. The budget is more than discretionary spending and interest.
It's the greatest of ignorance to ignore this fact
3. Which means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.
Except that the economy grew at about the same amount it had the year before when there wasn't a tax cut. ..
So if Trump hadn't cut taxes? The economy would have grown just as much and the treasury would have brought in more revenue.
I cited the treasury departments analysis.
You just couldn't understand it.
4. Yeah no.
5. We are done because this" ?
"We are done until you prove FIT. CIT, Excise taxes after the tax cuts didn't pay for the issue I stated"
Is meaningless drivel.
It has zero bearing in the budget..the debt or deficit because it ignores the entire budget.

Except that the economy grew at about the same amount it had the year before when there wasn't a tax cut. ..
So if Trump hadn't cut taxes? The economy would have grown just as much and the treasury would have brought in more revenue.
4. Yeah no.
"We are done until you prove FIT. CIT, Excise taxes after the tax cuts didn't pay for the issue I stated"
Is meaningless drivel.
It has zero bearing in the budget..the debt or deficit because it ignores the entire budget.
You are one of the worst debaters here, no facts, no context, and totally wrong. Still no apology for Biden or claiming you are a conservative

Will always get it right,
Of course it is more than those two as Mandatory budget items are included and those are funded by FICA not FIT
According to you but then again what credibility do you have
Apparently being math challenged is what you don't understand, 2% growth on 14 trillion isn't the same as 2% growth on 18 trillion as there are real dollar differences and dollars not percentages matter
4. Yeah no.
Is meaningless drivel.
LOL, FIT, CIT, Excise Taxes have no bearing on the budget? Wow, my next post is spot on

Will always get it right,

Of course it is more than those two as Mandatory budget items are included and those are funded by FICA not FIT

According to you but then again what credibility do you have

Apparently being math challenged is what you don't understand, 2% growth on 14 trillion isn't the same as 2% growth on 18 trillion as there are real dollar differences and dollars not percentages matter

LOL, FIT, CIT, Excise Taxes have no bearing on the budget? Wow, my next post is spot on
1. Nah..sometime soon you'll start complaining about " mandatory spending " and how fit shouldn't pay for it".
2. Oops. See above. Cripes you already screwed up. FIT does fund Medicare and social security by paying on the bonds they hold.
Medicaid is mandatory spending. Paid by FIT.
Veterans retirement benefits are mandatory.. paid by FIT.
The list goes on.
Sweet baby jesus.

3. A tremendous amount of credibility.
4. Ummm exactly. The problem is you keep claiming that all the 2 percent growth was due to trumps tax cut. When the year before the economy grew by almost the same amount WITHOUT a tax cut. And tge year after the tax cut? Growth WENT DOWN.
You can't understand. We get that. But the fact is that the Trump tax cut did little to stimulate the economy. Certainly not enough to make up for the decrease in revenue from what would have been brought in if there had been no tax cut.
5. Focus..no your whole " but but what do they fund" doesn't matter.

You are one of the worst debaters here, no facts, no context, and totally wrong. Still no apology for Biden or claiming you are a conservative
You silly goose..
Lmao.

1. Naw you didn't. It took FOREVER to get you to understand that the reason that fit funds Medicare and social security is because it's paying back treasury bonds. And occasionally you still flub up.
Let me remind all that Con used to castigate Obama because his GDP growth never was 3% or more. Well, neither was Trump's -- and Obama didn't give away the store in tax-cuts.

Real GDP growth was slightly more in 2018 but then dropped. The biggest gains were in 2021, when Trump wasn't president.

fredgraph.png

Republican tax cuts are usually concentrated on high-income individuals, and are justified with the claim that cutting marginal tax rates will lead to an explosion in individual effort, entrepreneurship, and so on. High-earning people, earning salaries, such as from Wall St. firms, are not exactly noted for being slow-moving and lazy. So the claim that personal taxes are a major disincentive to work and productivity never made much sense.

1. Nah..sometime soon you'll start complaining about " mandatory spending " and how fit shouldn't pay for it".
Wrong, FICA funds mandatory spending not FIT which is what you seem to want. FIT was established long before SS and Medicare which when implemented was funded by its own tax. Not radicals like you want higher taxes to fund the shortfall in SS and Medicaer
2. Oops. See above. Cripes you already screwed up. FIT does fund Medicare and social security by paying on the bonds they hold.
Medicaid is mandatory spending. Paid by FIT.
Veterans retirement benefits are mandatory.. paid by FIT.
The list goes on.
Sweet baby jesus.
What you believe FIT Funds is contrary to what FIT was created to fund and totally ignores the separate tax created for SS and Medicare, so explain why FIT should fund SS and Medicare as not every American qualifies for those programs and every American is affected by the line items funded by FIT
3. A tremendous amount of credibility.
A true legend in your own mind
4. Ummm exactly. The problem is you keep claiming that all the 2 percent growth was due to trumps tax cut. When the year before the economy grew by almost the same amount WITHOUT a tax cut. And tge year after the tax cut? Growth WENT DOWN.
You can't understand. We get that. But the fact is that the Trump tax cut did little to stimulate the economy. Certainly not enough to make up for the decrease in revenue from what would have been brought in if there had been no tax cut.
No, again you are reading challenged, the 2% growth was 900 billion dollars per year whereas the 2% growth prior was 500 billion dollars per year. Growth didn't go down it continued to increase as our GDP isn't a fixed amount, it continues to grow. What the FIT cut did was give you more spendable income and that exploded state and local revenue relieving the federal gov't of social responsibilities as state and local taxes fund social programs
5. Focus..no your whole " but but what do they fund" doesn't matter.
What seems to matter to you is the federal gov't getting more revenue which impacts state and local revenue. So you tell me exactly why FIT should fund SS and Medicare which aren't operating expenses of the federal gov't?

Let me remind all that Con used to castigate Obama because his GDP growth never was 3% or more. Well, neither was Trump's -- and Obama didn't give away the store in tax-cuts.

Real GDP growth was slightly more in 2018 but then dropped. The biggest gains were in 2021, when Trump wasn't president.

fredgraph.png

Republican tax cuts are usually concentrated on high-income individuals, and are justified with the claim that cutting marginal tax rates will lead to an explosion in individual effort, entrepreneurship, and so on. High-earning people, earning salaries, such as from Wall St. firms, are not exactly noted for being slow-moving and lazy. So the claim that personal taxes are a major disincentive to work and productivity never made much sense.
Amazing re-write of history and reality, percentage change growth has never been the issue only dollar growth and you cannot seem to grasp that reality so why don't you answer the question, did FIT, CIT, excise tax create enough revenue to fund the discretionary budget and interest expense AFTER the tax cuts? YES OR NO?

Then there is the actual voting issue that for some reason you believe that people focus on GDP percentages when they go to the polls to vote. I do not believe that to be the case, they focus on their own finances which you are even doing here complaining about the loss of those high state and local tax deductions then complaining about not enough revenue getting to the federal gov't.

Your posts expose the hypocrisy of the left, the Trump tax cuts reduced tax rates in 7 of the 8 categories and you keep dodging the question did you get more spendable income out of the tax rate cuts?

Wrong, FICA funds mandatory spending not FIT which is what you seem to want. FIT was established long before SS and Medicare which when implemented was funded by its own tax. Not radicals like you want higher taxes to fund the shortfall in SS and Medicaer

What you believe FIT Funds is contrary to what FIT was created to fund and totally ignores the separate tax created for SS and Medicare, so explain why FIT should fund SS and Medicare as not every American qualifies for those programs and every American is affected by the line items funded by FIT

A true legend in your own mind

No, again you are reading challenged, the 2% growth was 900 billion dollars per year whereas the 2% growth prior was 500 billion dollars per year. Growth didn't go down it continued to increase as our GDP isn't a fixed amount, it continues to grow. What the FIT cut did was give you more spendable income and that exploded state and local revenue relieving the federal gov't of social responsibilities as state and local taxes fund social programs

What seems to matter to you is the federal gov't getting more revenue which impacts state and local revenue. So you tell me exactly why FIT should fund SS and Medicare which aren't operating expenses of the federal gov't?
1. Wrong. Number one Medicare and social security both get funded when the bonds they hold are paid on. They are paid by FIT.
In addition medicaid..Veterans retirement and a whole host of other mandatory spending is NOT paid by FICA.
There currently is no " shortfall". In Medicare and social security unless you discount all the treasury securities they hold". Which..is invested surplus.
Ffs..you got this wrong already.. what is it ? Two posts and you already have effed up again.
2. See above you ridiculous dude. When FICA brought in a surplus..it was invested in Treasury securities. FIT PAYS ON THOSE.
Sweet baby jesus.
I mean how many times does this have to be explained to you?
3. Nope. Just knowledgeable
4. Because tge economy grew the year before!.( its like you cant understand math. ..the growth was the same as the year before without a tax cut.
The tax cut didn't do jack. If it HAD given people this disposable income and they had fmhone out and SPENT IT. The economy would gave grown more than the year before.
But there was very little increase in growth. Which meant that that " more disposable income" didn't do much.
5. No. Dude you don't even understand taxes.
When you earn money in your state and are taxed on state income..as most states are ( 43 states).. that money you send to the state is DEDUCTED from your federal tax liability!!!..
The more you pay your state in income tax. The LESS YOU PAY THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT.
Now if you are in one of the few ignorant states with no income tax that relies on a regressive tax like sales tax? Yeah..maybe paying less tax to the federal government might mean more state income.
But unlikely because the people getting most of the tax break are wealthier and are more likely to save than spend.
6. Back to numbers one and two you ridiculous dude. .

You silly goose..
Lmao.
What you and the rest of the radical left want to ignore

Social Security is funded by payroll taxes collected through the Federal Insurance Contributions Act (FICA), which are commonly referred to as "FICA taxes”. They are what fund Social Security Disability.

The Federal Insurance Contributions Act was enacted in 1935 as a tax provision of the Social Security Act.

1. Wrong. Number one Medicare and social security both get funded when the bonds they hold are paid on. They are paid by FIT.
In addition medicaid..Veterans retirement and a whole host of other mandatory spending is NOT paid by FICA.
There currently is no " shortfall". In Medicare and social security unless you discount all the treasury securities they hold". Which..is invested surplus.
Ffs..you got this wrong already.. what is it ? Two posts and you already have effed up again.
2. See above you ridiculous dude. When FICA brought in a surplus..it was invested in Treasury securities. FIT PAYS ON THOSE.
Sweet baby jesus.
I mean how many times does this have to be explained to you?
3. Nope. Just knowledgeable
4. Because tge economy grew the year before!.( its like you cant understand math. ..the growth was the same as the year before without a tax cut.
The tax cut didn't do jack. If it HAD given people this disposable income and they had fmhone out and SPENT IT. The economy would gave grown more than the year before.
But there was very little increase in growth. Which meant that that " more disposable income" didn't do much.
5. No. Dude you don't even understand taxes.
When you earn money in your state and are taxed on state income..as most states are ( 43 states).. that money you send to the state is DEDUCTED from your federal tax liability!!!..
The more you pay your state in income tax. The LESS YOU PAY THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT.
Now if you are in one of the few ignorant states with no income tax that relies on a regressive tax like sales tax? Yeah..maybe paying less tax to the federal government might mean more state income.
But unlikely because the people getting most of the tax break are wealthier and are more likely to save than spend.
6. Back to numbers one and two you ridiculous dude. .

You write a novel rather than answer the question posed did FIT fund the discretionary budget and interest expense after the tax cut?

FICA was created to fund SS and Medicare not FIT

1. Yep. And....wait for it.
"The Social Security trust funds are invested entirely in U.S. Treasury securities. Like the Treasury bills, notes, and bonds purchased by private investors around the world, the Treasury securities that the trust funds hold are backed by the full faith and credit of the U.S. government."
Whether you like it or not. The fact is that surplus funds are turned into treasury securities and THESE ARE PAID BY FIT.

You write a novel rather than answer the question posed did FIT fund the discretionary budget and interest expense after the tax cut?

FICA was created to fund SS and Medicare not FIT
Who the frig cares?
Your question has zero meaning!
You cannot simply ignore mandatory expenses!!.

1. Yep. And....wait for it.
"The Social Security trust funds are invested entirely in U.S. Treasury securities. Like the Treasury bills, notes, and bonds purchased by private investors around the world, the Treasury securities that the trust funds hold are backed by the full faith and credit of the U.S. government."
Whether you like it or not. The fact is that surplus funds are turned into treasury securities and THESE ARE PAID BY FIT.
Yes and FICA was created AFTER FIT to fund SS and Medicare. Borrowing from the fund and never paying it back, only the interest has created the problems we have today. You and the rest of the left totally misunderstand the budget, the line items of the budget and still no answer to the question After the tax cuts was there enough FIT, CIT, Excise Taxes to fund the discretionary budget and interest expense, YES or NO?

Who the frig cares?
Your question has zero meaning!
You cannot simply ignore mandatory expenses!!.
No one is ignoring mandatory expenses, you solve the problem by not taking it from FIT, you recognize the Congressional abuse and solve it with additional funding. Stop blaming tax cuts for the deficits as FIT has nothing to do with the shortfall in SS

Yes and FICA was created AFTER FIT to fund SS and Medicare. Borrowing from the fund and never paying it back, only the interest has created the problems we have today. You and the rest of the left totally misunderstand the budget, the line items of the budget and still no answer to the question After the tax cuts was there enough FIT, CIT, Excise Taxes to fund the discretionary budget and interest expense, YES or NO?
Ummm dude...IT IS BEING PAID BACK ....BY......WAIT FOR IT...
FIT.

okay..I'll play along.
What does it mean to you that after tge tax cuts there was enough to pay the discretionary items but not the mandatory ones?
What do you think that means?????

No one is ignoring mandatory expenses, you solve the problem by not taking it from FIT, you recognize the Congressional abuse and solve it with additional funding. Stop blaming tax cuts for the deficits as FIT has nothing to do with the shortfall in SS
You are ignoring the mandatory expense.
There is no shortfall with social security since it ran a surplus for years and years.
Which was turned into treasury securities which is what FIT is paying.

The tax cuts DID increase the deficit by reducing the amount of revenue that would have been generated if the taxes had been left alone.

You simply cannot get around that fact.
Without attempting the irrational arguments you are trying now.

Ummm dude...IT IS BEING PAID BACK ....BY......WAIT FOR IT...
FIT.

okay..I'll play along.
What does it mean to you that after tge tax cuts there was enough to pay the discretionary items but not the mandatory ones?
What do you think that means?????
Only the interest, not the principle

Back
Top Bottom