• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

GOP Prepares Release of New 'Contract' to Rollback Obama Agenda

You know...there is an analogy about crap brownies. They have sugar, and flower, and butter, and eggs...so what if there is a cup of dog**** in it...its MOSTLY good stuff. Me? Id pass. You want seconds?

I am not opposed to certain levels of LOCAL and STATE funding of libraries, museums, etc. Artists have the right to create whatever they want. My opinion is they should not be subsidized by taxpayers in any way, shape, or form. You want to independently contribute to them you SHOULD...I ENCOURAGE it.

On the other hand, let taxpayers subsidize the Tax Cuts for the very wealthy.

Why do Reps/cons seem to care more about the wealthy than anything else? It is a mystery, for sure!

Why do Reps/cons seem to care more about the wealthy than anything else? It is a mystery, for sure!

On the other hand??? WHy do liberals immediately go to class warfare? Oh yeah...because their arguments and positions are impotent. Maybe you should...you know...stick to the subject at hand. But if you INSIST, you might ask Pete (since we recently had this conversation) what my position is on tax cuts.

Its pretty pathetic for you to compare 'tax cuts' (letting citizens keep the money they have earned) with a subsidy...but hey...when you are a liberal and your political ideologies are built on building handout programs for crippled dependent pets, then I suppose it makes sense.

The tax cuts for the wealthy is the old Republican " Trickle Down". Didn't work then so way continue it now? I've always thought of trickle down as some kind of a urinary infection.

Rich people are more mobile than any other class. They are not going to stick around to be taken advantage of over and over again.
Taking more of their pie does nothing to bake more pies. In fact it's the opposite. They'll just take their pie and leave the country.

88888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888

But there’s plenty of evidence that won’t work. Maryland’s millionaire tax was supposed to bring in $106 million. Instead revenue went down by $257 million

Read more: Tax The Rich! (9pm Saturday on Fox News Channel) « John Stossel <http://stossel.blogs.foxbusiness.com/2010/09/24/tax-the-rich-9pm-saturday-on-fox-news-channel/>
In my weekend special, The Battle for the Future -- it airs Saturday at 9pm and Sunday at 8 PM and 11 PM ET -- I talk with progressives who say that the solution to deficits is taxes on the rich.

Republicans want to eliminate Middle-Class tax-cuts?

Republicans want to remove reasonable regulations on the financial industry that caused the recession?

Republicans want to roll back HC reform that was originally a Republican supported idea?

What a bunch of morons, I hope they pick up a few seats so people can see and hear how stupid their ideas are. Good luck, guys.

Fall of 2006. You know, before Pelosi & Reid screwed everything up and threw us into the recession that Obama is extending.

Come again? You actually believe that the December 2007 recession was caused by the Democrats in 2006?

So you're saying that the repeal of the GSA had nothing to do with it? The years and years and years of promotion and incentives under Bush for home ownership had nothing to do with it? The CDS with no adequate reserves had nothing to do with it? That the over leveraging on Wall Street that had been occurring for years had nothing to do with it? That just the policies in 2006 were the cause? Really.

Last edited:
That's a great start!

Only if you like total garbage.

"Former Reagan Adviser On GOP'S Pledge To America"
Former Reagan Adviser On GOP'S Pledge To America : NPR

And they aren't going to enact their policies. To actually enact them would be complete and utter political suicide.

Mr. GLECKMAN: Well, there would be no more money for highways. There'd be no more money for mass transit. There'd be no funds for the national parks. There'd be no subsidies for small businesses. We talked a lot about how important small business is or the Small Business Administration and the assistance that it gives to small businesses would go away.

We complain that it's not enough food safety. Well, there would be no food safety in this kind of an environment. There'd be no National Institutes of Health to do research in cancer and other diseases. The government, as we know it, would simply disappear.

Mr. STOCKMAN: No, I don't think you can. And that's why I think, as I said, the plan's half right but also half baked. They're being disingenuous when they say right in the second or third page, I see here, that we will exempt seniors, that's all Social Security and Medicare, I presume, and federal retirement and so forth that will exempt veterans, will exempt all of defense, Homeland Security and you have to pay the interest on the debt.

Well, that happens to add up to 2.4 trillion or almost two-thirds of the budget. So if you're exempting two-thirds of the budget and you're focusing only on non-defense discretionary, which actually is only about 500 billion or 15 percent of the budget, it's pretty obvious you can't get the job done.

And when you're talking only about freezing non-defense discretionary, again, maybe you save a hundred or rolling that back to 2008, maybe you save 100 billion. But how does that really answer the challenge and the threat of 1.5 trillion hole in the budget? So, therefore, the plan just doesn't measure up.

If you buy this pledge, you're a bloody idiot who cannot do basic math and should not be voting.

Only if you like total garbage.

"Former Reagan Adviser On GOP'S Pledge To America"
Former Reagan Adviser On GOP'S Pledge To America : NPR

And they aren't going to enact their policies. To actually enact them would be complete and utter political suicide.

If you buy this pledge, you're a bloody idiot who cannot do basic math and should not be voting.

And here I was thinking going back to 2008 spending levels and 2008 tax levels was going to make the deficit smaller than it was in 2008! Man, this pledge is confusing! :D

edit: apparently confusing to the GOP too!

Last edited:
Did he really just say "we're not going to be any different then we've been" ? WOW. Boehner needs to be fired. Just like Steele.

Did he really just say "we're not going to be any different then we've been" ? WOW. Boehner needs to be fired. Just like Steele.

Boehner is going to win easily. Better than even chance he will be the next speaker of the house. Since you don't live in his district you won't have much if any say.

Boehner is going to win easily. Better than even chance he will be the next speaker of the house. Since you don't live in his district you won't have much if any say.

You think the same old GOP is what the people want?

That does not mean he is a good leader. Boehner is a joke and a fraud. A Republican who did nothing to curtail the excesses of the GOP years now thinks he has the capacity to actually practice Fiscal Conservatism? What a joke.

On abortion or gay rights. I forget which. I knew it would be taken out of context.

Last edited:
Question: "Legislatively, how do you plan to honor families, traditional marriage, life and the private and faith-based organizations that form the core of our American values?"

Boehner: "I think if you look at House Republicans over the course of the last year, two years -- for that matter, the last 10 years -- you will see that, by and large, we have supported those pro-family, traditional values issues. And the point we make in this preamble to our Pledge is that we are not going to be any different than what we've been. We are going to stand up for those things that we believe in."

So Boehner was not in fact talking about the party's economic policies. He was answering a question about what he called "pro-family, traditional values issues."

Not surprising in the least. Politics as usual.

PolitiFact | Nancy Pelosi cites John Boehner in saying GOP plans return to old economic policies

Politifact is great for these kinds of things. Nice work there, Speaker Pelosi. I'm SURE this wont backfire on you! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
On the other hand??? WHy do liberals immediately go to class warfare? Oh yeah...because their arguments and positions are impotent. Maybe you should...you know...stick to the subject at hand. But if you INSIST, you might ask Pete (since we recently had this conversation) what my position is on tax cuts.
Because most Reps/cons always defend tax cuts (for the wealthy) while complaining about money going into other programs. If you are not one that does, then you are the exception, not the rule. And I was just making an observation, which isn't against the rules, so far as I understand.

Its pretty pathetic for you to compare 'tax cuts' (letting citizens keep the money they have earned) with a subsidy...
Someone has really drunk the Kool-Aid. The only reason the very wealthy "earn" their money is because of all the tax shelters the Republicans have made available for them. Most of them live off the money they make on their investments - and pay taxes at a much lower rate. Why Reps/cons insist on giving them even more, is beyond belief.

As I point out in a story in the new Forbes 400 issue, thanks to the 15% tax rate on long term capital gains, the 400 highest earners pay a lower effective federal income tax rate than ordinary rich folks. In 2007 (the last year the IRS has published data for) the 400 derived two thirds of their average adjusted gross income of $345 million from capital gains and paid an average effective rate of just 16.6%. Taxpayers earning $1 million to $5 million, who get more of their income from salary and other “ordinary” income taxed at a top 35% rate, paid an effective tax rate of 24%.
The Very Rich Are Different–They Pay A Lower Tax Rate - Janet Novack - Taxing Matters - Forbes

but hey...when you are a liberal and your political ideologies are built on building handout programs for crippled dependent pets, then I suppose it makes sense.

Oh, and conservatives' political ideologies are built on "I've got mine - the hell with everyone else". I suppose that since they want to call themselves "compassionate conservatives" that makes a lot of sense!

Rich people are more mobile than any other class. They are not going to stick around to be taken advantage of over and over again.
Taking more of their pie does nothing to bake more pies. In fact it's the opposite. They'll just take their pie and leave the country.

That is too funny. Is that how they explained it to you in your Economics class?
Frankly, I don't care if they leave the country good riddance, don't let the door hit you on the way out! They are the ones that subsidize the Republicans in Congress, a good reason for all the Republican Congressmen to favor those tax cuts, but I honestly don't understand why the middle-class Republicans do.

But there’s plenty of evidence that won’t work. Maryland’s millionaire tax was supposed to bring in $106 million. Instead revenue went down by $257 million
Read more: Tax The Rich! (9pm Saturday on Fox News Channel) « John Stossel <http://stossel.blogs.foxbusiness.com/2010/09/24/tax-the-rich-9pm-saturday-on-fox-news-channel/>
In my weekend special, The Battle for the Future -- it airs Saturday at 9pm and Sunday at 8 PM and 11 PM ET -- I talk with progressives who say that the solution to deficits is taxes on the rich.

First of all, he is talking about state tax - they just moved to another state whose tax is less or doesn't have one, like Texas. It has nothing to do with Fed income tax - because the tax cuts are in effect, if tax revenue went down, it certainly couldn't be due to the Tax Cuts not being there.

Because most Reps/cons always defend tax cuts (for the wealthy) while complaining about money going into other programs. If you are not one that does, then you are the exception, not the rule. And I was just making an observation, which isn't against the rules, so far as I understand.

Someone has really drunk the Kool-Aid. The only reason the very wealthy "earn" their money is because of all the tax shelters the Republicans have made available for them. Most of them live off the money they make on their investments - and pay taxes at a much lower rate. Why Reps/cons insist on giving them even more, is beyond belief.

As I point out in a story in the new Forbes 400 issue, thanks to the 15% tax rate on long term capital gains, the 400 highest earners pay a lower effective federal income tax rate than ordinary rich folks. In 2007 (the last year the IRS has published data for) the 400 derived two thirds of their average adjusted gross income of $345 million from capital gains and paid an average effective rate of just 16.6%. Taxpayers earning $1 million to $5 million, who get more of their income from salary and other “ordinary” income taxed at a top 35% rate, paid an effective tax rate of 24%.
The Very Rich Are Different–They Pay A Lower Tax Rate - Janet Novack - Taxing Matters - Forbes

Oh, and conservatives' political ideologies are built on "I've got mine - the hell with everyone else". I suppose that since they want to call themselves "compassionate conservatives" that makes a lot of sense!

I wont speak for any other conservative...just for me. I have no problem paying my fair share. I only expect my government to be responsible. Not the democrats...not the republicans...BOTH parties. And you bet...Ive busted my ass to get mine. To change my family from what we were to what we are. So yep...i get a little pissy when i see congreess spending 14 trillion more than what they have already brought in in taxes. And yep...same as how I feel when I hear a bunch of whiny bitches complaineing they dont get enough of other peoples money. Yes...I find that pretty pathetic as well.
That being said...I am pretty willing to compare what I give voluntarily in not just money but time. To the populations I choose. Im all about providing services top those that TRULY cant and to those that are willing to work hard. MY choice. I dont NEED the government to be a citizen on my behalf.

On abortion or gay rights. I forget which. I knew it would be taken out of context.

Which actually doesn't matter. He should be stripped of Minority Leader for the sole fact he is a fraud. Did he do a damn thing to stop the excess of the GOP years? No. Did he do anything to stop the trillions in debt? No. And now he thinks he can talk about it? Boehner is just as honest as Charles Rangel.

The democrats didn't do so well running on the 'We're not bush' platform from 2002-2006. It'll be interesting to see how well the republicans do running on the 'we're not Obama' platform.

I wont speak for any other conservative...just for me.
Well, you really can't speak for others.

I have no problem paying my fair share. I only expect my government to be responsible.
I don't either. But, what may be responsible to you may not be responsible to others. There are over 300M people in the US and we don't all think alike.

Not the democrats...not the republicans...BOTH parties.
Now that is something we both can agree on.
And you bet...Ive busted my ass to get mine. To change my family from what we were to what we are.
So have a lot of other people. Nobody gave me what I have. But, we have a lot of people in the US that are not able to work, many that are not able to get jobs, and many of them are children. Someone has to care for these people.

So yep...i get a little pissy when i see congreess spending 14 trillion more than what they have already brought in in taxes.
So do I. I certainly didn't appreciate all the trillions that Bush spent on a war that ended up being only to give Muslims a democracy, not to mention all the lives of soldiers that were sacrificed. But you know what, I didn't have a choice. Bush didn't ask me personally how I felt about it. Obama is trying to help the economy. The bills that he has passed are to help Americans, not Muslims in Iraq. That is what pisses me off about conservatives. They whine about what is being spent to help us, but they give Bush a pass on his spending money on people that most conservatives don't even like.

And yep...same as how I feel when I hear a bunch of whiny bitches complaineing they dont get enough of other peoples money. Yes...I find that pretty pathetic as well.
Most Democrats that are supporting these bills don't need money from the government. We are fighting for other Americans, many of them Republicans, that are less fortunate. The Republican party is only concerned about the wealthiest people. How do you reason out the whining from the very wealthy who don't want to pay their fair share, like you and me?
That being said...I am pretty willing to compare what I give voluntarily in not just money but time. To the populations I choose. Im all about providing services top those that TRULY cant and to those that are willing to work hard. MY choice. I dont NEED the government to be a citizen on my behalf.

That's nice. But you can't take care of all the people that are in need. If left to the people, the same people would be scamming all the donations and a lot of people would be going hungry. The government is the only one that is in a position to help the ones that really need the help. If people are abusing the system, then we should fix the system, but leaving it to people isn't going to cut it.

Back
Top Bottom