• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Good first date ideas

Everyone,
What is the best first date you have been on or something you would like to have experienced?

Maybe you should just ask her what she likes to do and plan something from there.

I've read several studies that say STDs were quite common in the 60s and 70s but leveled off in the 80s and 90s. I don't think people were very "clean" back then either, and you probably should have been asking them.

What I was saying is that the STD's back then were treatable by antibiotics. It wasn't something like HIV, Hep C., or genital herpes- the gifts that keep giving. ;)

What I was saying is that the STD's back then were treatable by antibiotics. It wasn't something like HIV, Hep C., or genital herpes- the gifts that keep giving. ;)

I don't know how prevalent genital herpes is but I do know that Hep C and HIV are usually only prevalent in high-risk groups, like homosexuals and intravenous drug users or those who have lots of sex without protection.

I don't know how prevalent genital herpes is but I do know that Hep C and HIV are usually only prevalent in high-risk groups, like homosexuals and intravenous drug users or those who have lots of sex without protection.

I know that HepC and genital herpes are more common than you would possibly want to know, or suspect.

I know that HepC and genital herpes are more common than you would possibly want to know, or suspect.

Well, maybe we should stop ruining poor Taco's first date thread with STD talk. :lamo Talk about killing the mood!

Weren't sexually transmitted diseases really common in the 1960s and 1970s? I've also heard things about a lot of war veterans from all the wars who contracted STDs from sleeping with overseas prostitutes.

Not really. It didn't start getting bad until probably the mid 80s, late 80s.

No doubt there were guys who came home from Vietnam with a dose of the clap. I doubt it was epidemic or anything. We had an unofficial PCOD. It was self imposed but most guys I knew tried to stick with. Usually your ***** Cut-Off Date was 2 or 3 weeks before you rotated back to the States. You didn't want to catch something before you shipped back home. The idea was if you keep your PCOD you'd have time to get treatment before you shipped.

There were also rumors that "If your dripping, you ain't shipping." True? I don't know, but I did know guys who were sweating it when the went to see the "Pecker Checker" for shots right before they left.

But it wasn't just the war, the whole world was banging everybody back thing.

Not really. It didn't start getting bad until probably the mid 80s, late 80s.

No doubt there were guys who came home from Vietnam with a dose of the clap. I doubt it was epidemic or anything. We had an unofficial PCOD. It was self imposed but most guys I knew tried to stick with. Usually your ***** Cut-Off Date was 2 or 3 weeks before you rotated back to the States. You didn't want to catch something before you shipped back home. The idea was if you keep your PCOD you'd have time to get treatment before you shipped.

There were also rumors that "If your dripping, you ain't shipping." True? I don't know, but I did know guys who were sweating it when the went to see the "Pecker Checker" for shots right before they left.

But it wasn't just the war, the whole world was banging everybody back thing.

I think you're wrong and should google it.

Well, we heard of cases of what we called VD then, which usually meant gonorrhea. Fortunately, STD's were easily treated back then.

Herpes and all that stuff was relatively unheard of then. I agree, it was mostly gonorrhea people were worried about, but I didn't know that many people who got it.

Well, maybe we should stop ruining poor Taco's first date thread with STD talk. :lamo Talk about killing the mood!

I think that's an excellent idea.

Okay, first date ideas:

Coffee shop
A nice walk in the park
Fishing off the bank of a river
A trip to the bookstore

Herpes and all that stuff was relatively unheard of then. I agree, it was mostly gonorrhea people were worried about, but I didn't know that many people who got it.

Same here. Maybe it was common, but it sure as hell wasn't common among the people I hung out with.

I think that's an excellent idea.

Okay, first date ideas:

Coffee shop
A nice walk in the park
Fishing off the bank of a river
A trip to the bookstore

Bingo! Great idea darlin'. :thumbs: I can tell pretty much all I need to know about somebody by spending time with them in a bookstore. Fishing off a bank, dock or pier is one of the sweetest pleasures in life. People talk about everything when they are fishing.

I think you're wrong and should google it.

It is estimated that there are more than 68 million current STD infections among Americans. In the 1970s, one adolescent in 47 contracted a STD. Today, that figure is one in four. Each year, 15.3 million new STD infections occur, including over 4 million infections in teens. The two most common STDs, herpes and human papilloma virus (HPV), account for 65 of the 68 million current infections. It is estimated that 20 percent of all Americans age 12 and older are infected with genital herpes.

Source: American Social Health Association. Sexually Transmitted Disease in America : How Many Cases and at What Cost? Menlo Park , Calif. : Kaiser Family Foundation; 1998. Source: Fleming, D, et al. Herpes Simplex Virus Type 2 in the United States, 1976-1994. N Engl J Med. 1997;337(16): 1105-1111.

Source: American Social Health Association. Sexually Transmitted Disease in America : How Many Cases and at What Cost? Menlo Park , Calif. : Kaiser Family Foundation; 1998. Source: Fleming, D, et al. Herpes Simplex Virus Type 2 in the United States, 1976-1994. N Engl J Med. 1997;337(16): 1105-1111.

Well I have this source. I don't doubt that as of recent years rates have picked up again, but my point is that they were not uncommon in the 1960s either.

Sexually transmitted diseases in the USA: temporal trends

In general, data on reported STDs in the USA showed steady increases during the 1960s, with a levelling off or decline of most of the bacterial STDs but continual increases in viral STDs and genital chlamydial infections during the 1970s and 1980s. National reports of gonorrhoea and syphilis began declining at different times and at different rates in all industrialised countries during the late 1980s and 1990s. During this time, the male to female rate ratio for these conditions also declined, suggesting improvements in prevention and control efforts and reductions in disease incidence among men who have sex with men (MSM). Chlamydia diagnoses and prevalence have varied over time, in part reflecting the impact of chlamydia control programmes in many jurisdictions. However, since the turn of this century, a number of these declining trends have reversed.

Holy smokes! It's a fecking jungle out there now.

In the 60s and 70s no one had ever heard of herpes, or HIV or HPV. In between marriages when I was running wild and free again, I was fortunate that two women told me prior to intercourse that they had herpes. But now it sounds as if it is so prevalent you pretty much have to assume the other person has it.

I don't know how I made it unscathed through single years highlighted by whiskey and women. I debauched often. LOL!

Last edited:
Well I have this source. I don't doubt that as of recent years rates have picked up again, but my point is that they were not uncommon in the 1960s either.

Sexually transmitted diseases in the USA: temporal trends

Gonorrhea rates peaked during the 1970s, but have since leveled down a bit.

trends-gon-rates.gif

Unfortunately, however; pretty much everything else is on the rise; mostly chlamydia, but also stuff that tends to "linger."

2909_stis_fig1.jpg

std-stats-uk.jpg

Reported numbers of HSV-2 (genital herpes) cases have also been steadily rising for decades now.

Straight Talk on STDs

Genital-Herpes.gif

As my buddies say, "you're better off wrapping it twice." :shrug:

Last edited:
Holy smokes! It's a fecking jungle out there now.

In the 60s and 70s no one had ever heard of herpes, or HIV or HPV. In between marriages when I was running wild and free again, I was fortunate that two women told me prior to intercourse that they had herpes. But now it sounds as if it is so prevalent you pretty much have to assume the other person has it.

I don't know how I made it unscathed through single years highlighted by whiskey and women. I debauched often. LOL!

Did you see Demolition Man (the movie)? If so, do you remember the sex scene?

Gonorrhea rates peaked during the 1970s, but have since leveled down a bit.

View attachment 67154588

Unfortunately, however; pretty much everything else is on the rise; mostly chlamydia, but also stuff that tends to "linger."

View attachment 67154590

View attachment 67154589

Reported numbers of HSV-2 (genital herpes) cases have also been steadily rising for decades now.

Straight Talk on STDs

Genital-Herpes.gif

As my buddies say, "you're better off wrapping it twice." :shrug:

Again, are you guys ignoring my point? I was saying that people were not so clean in the 1960s and 1970s either. :roll: That's the point I'm making, so all these people who think they "had it made" were actually risk takers.

Again, are you guys ignoring my point? I was saying that people were not so clean in the 1960s and 1970s either. :roll: That's the point I'm making, so all these people who think they "had it made" were actually risk takers.

True. As a matter of fact, I was actually reaffirming your claim that gonorrhea rates were higher in the past.

However, it is also worth noting that the "risks" in question weren't quite so large back then as they are today. Gonorrhea is pretty easily treated. HSV-2, AIDs, and Genital Warts are not.

True. As a matter of fact, I was actually reaffirming your claim that gonorrhea rates were higher in the past.

However, it is also worth noting that the "risks" in question weren't quite so large back then as they are today. Gonorrhea is pretty easily treated. HSV-2, AIDs, and Genital Warts are not.

Maybe so, but people weren't "clean" or "cleaner" back then. Just like any virus, such as the flu and others, they mutate and change.

Maybe so, but people weren't "clean" or "cleaner" back then. Just like any virus, such as the flu and others, they mutate and change.

Given the kind of breeding ground we've provided them over the course of the last few decades, that kind of thing is sort of to be expected, unfortunately. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom