• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Giving Putin an 'off ramp'. Personally I think we should give him the same one we gave Germany and Japan during WW2.

Like I said, you want to play a game of chicken with the other major nuclear-armed power...
And you want to just roll over and lick Putin's nuts.

And you want to just roll over and lick Putin's nuts.

WW3 is your better solution? Even if you didn't care about the rest of the world burning, how many Ukrainians would survive?

WW3 is your better solution? Even if you didn't care about the rest of the world burning, how many Ukrainians would survive?
No there is a better solution I'm sure. However you have shown yourself to be totally on board with Putin form the start.

No there is a better solution I'm sure. However you have shown yourself to be totally on board with Putin form the start.
Your knee-jerk McCarthyite responses tell me you have no solutions at all, and are just hiding behind hollow McCarthyism.

I'm fine with nato having direct combat with russian troops in ukraine. We don't need to strike russia itself.
We strike Russian troops in the Ukraine and to the Russians it is the same as striking them in Russia.

So, what is the deal with all of these liberals suddenly converted war hawks?

After the USG stops Russia, it's on to China! Ain't US militarism grand?

Be sure to salute Uncle Sam when you see mushroom clouds. Wouldn't want anyone to think you're an unpatriotic Putin apologist.

I know, I'm getting stuck with mostly right-wingers. Most of the liberals and progressives here have lost their collective mind.

Eventually if putin does not stop his aggression against ukraine, other countries, like the u.s., will get involved in the fight and I say we give putin the same off ramp we gave to germany and japan, complete surrender. Why this guy thinks russia is stronger than the rest of the world together is beyond my reasoning.
I think the world should unite and give Russia an ultimatum to turn over putin to face trial for war crimes or be isolated from the rest of the world.

Total surrender by military force I don't see as an option because they have enough nukes to destroy the planet if they choose to do so.

Eventually if putin does not stop his aggression against ukraine, other countries, like the u.s., will get involved in the fight and I say we give putin the same off ramp we gave to germany and japan, complete surrender. Why this guy thinks russia is stronger than the rest of the world together is beyond my reasoning.
WWII Germany and Japan didn't have ICBM's.

Or ANY nuclear weapons, even.

I think the world should unite and give Russia an ultimatum to turn over putin to face trial for war crimes or be isolated from the rest of the world.

Total surrender by military force I don't see as an option because they have enough nukes to destroy the planet if they choose to do so.

The odds of that happening are about the same as you flying to Mars without a spacesuit.

Genius take. Why dont we first strike Russia while we're at it.

The odds of that happening are about the same as you flying to Mars without a spacesuit.
Why do you say that?

Do you think it's far fetched to imagine the world united against him or that Russia would turn him over, or something else?

they already basically are.

Why do you say that?

Do you think it's far fetched to imagine the world united against him or that Russia would turn him over, or something else?

The world can’t even “unite” to stop actual genocide, and Russia certainly isn’t going to turn anyone over to what they see as a hypocritical, aggressive enemy.

Eventually if putin does not stop his aggression against ukraine, other countries, like the u.s., will get involved in the fight and I say we give putin the same off ramp we gave to germany and japan, complete surrender.
It is unwise to back a nuclear-armed dictator into a corner. There are off ramps available and we shouldn't block them. Putin isn't going to take them yet, but if the war grinds on for weeks or months and Russia's position does not improve, he might.

For example, one possible off ramp might be for countries to acknowledge Russia's claim to Crimea. Or for Ukraine to pause NATO talks for at least 5 years. These are "concessions" Putin could take if he wants to walk away and declare mission accomplished...but they don't materially give him anything he didn't already have.
Why this guy thinks russia is stronger than the rest of the world together is beyond my reasoning.
It sounds like the corruption had rotted so much of the Russian government that even Putin's top advisors were telling him what he wanted to hear, rather than the truth of their capabilities.

You want a play a game of chicken with a country that has thousands of nuclear weapons, and could destroy the United States multiple times over?
That would be dumb. The USA would know nuke weapons were being put into operation thus interception would be put into play. Nothing good could come of this.

That is why the entire world should disable their nuke weapons systems STAT. And would require disabling nuke power systems because ingredients for nuke weapons are manufactured by
nuke power. We can live longer and more efficiently without both.

Putin has nukes, Japan and Germany didn't

You're right, Moscow would let itself be bombed without any response.
That is not what you said. I believe you said something along the lines of it's the end of the world as we know it if we do anything to 'provoke' putin but it's ok for putin to invade ukraine with no response from anyone else?

We strike Russian troops in the Ukraine and to the Russians it is the same as striking them in Russia.

Is ukraine a part of russia?

That is not what you said. I believe you said something along the lines of it's the end of the world as we know it if we do anything to 'provoke' putin but it's ok for putin to invade ukraine with no response from anyone else?
No, I said without a response that will escalate to nuclear war and destroy the world. Then the conversation led to you saying let's nuke Moscow which I pointed out would get the world destroyed.

After the USG stops Russia, it's on to China! Ain't US militarism grand?

Be sure to salute Uncle Sam when you see mushroom clouds. Wouldn't want anyone to think you're an unpatriotic Putin apologist.
Militarism is bad; the Chinese government is worse.

We should get rid of nuclear weapons globally; and the US needs to be strong and defend itself from China's aggression, without corrupt militarism. Blowing up the world isn't an option; Chinese totalitarianism isn't an option; and militarism is terrible. You should learn more about China to better recognize what's happening. You seem unwilling to do that.

Chase him back into russia like H.W. chased saddam back into iraq.

Coalition forces, mostly American, invaded Iraq territory, stopping short of Baghdad. You think we should fight Russian forces directly, and invade Russian territory?

Coalition forces, mostly American, invaded Iraq territory, stopping short of Baghdad. You think we should fight Russian forces directly, and invade Russian territory?
Yes, I do think we should fight russian forces directly. I think we should get a coalition going and give putin time to either pull his forces out or face military consequences from the coalition. Do people not get if we do not stop someone like putin it will keep happening? China is starting to use rather provocative language about taiwan now. We can do something now while we can or we can suffer a death of a thousand cuts as dictators take over the world.

Yes, I do think we should fight russian forces directly. I think we should get a coalition going and give putin time to either pull his forces out or face military consequences from the coalition. Do people not get if we do not stop someone like putin it will keep happening? China is starting to use rather provocative language about taiwan now. We can do something now while we can or we can suffer a death of a thousand cuts as dictators take over the world.

Do you think the US would have backed down if a coalition had been assembled to demand we leave Iraq in 2003 or face their troops?

Back
Top Bottom