• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Germany in the time of the Holy Roman Empire - and Germany today

Nope, German speakers (the Teutonic Knights) tembezzled the identity long before.

The original Prussians (Baltic) were more related to Latvians and Lithuanians.
no no no!

we are speaking of BISMARCK here

by this time the meaning of the word had changed,
you can trust me taht i am informed about the old origins of the word

on a lighter side ….. . i might repeat that old tricky. question

was mozart german or. austrian?
He was, at best, from the Habsburg realm. Just like Beethoven (born in Bonn)

no no no!

we are speaking of BISMARCK here

by this time the meaning of the word had changed,
you can trust me taht i am informed about the old origins of the word
The meaning of the term was changed by Germanic invaders who embezzled it. Nothing to do with Bismarck.

The then acquired lands were (later in the 18th century) turned into a kingdom by the magnate of Brandenburg who could not make himself king of Brandenburg since that would have been denied by imperial principle.

Prussia was, however, not in the sphere of influence of the Habsburgs, so they couldn't really do anything about the forming of said title.

Before coming under the rule of Brandenburg Prussia was under the Polish crown, later ceded to Brandenburg (via inheritance), thus allowing Frederic the First to declare himself king of it.

The meaning of the term was changed by Germanic invaders who embezzled it. Nothing to do with Bismarck.

The then acquired lands were (later in the 18th century) turned into a kingdom by the magnate of Brandenburg who could not make himself king of Brandenburg since that would have been denied by imperial principle.

Prussia was, however, not in the sphere of influence of the Habsburgs, so they couldn't really do anything about the forming of said title.

Before coming under the rule of Brandenburg Prussia was under the Polish crown, later ceded to Brandenburg (via inheritance), thus allowing Frederic the First to declare himself king of it.
i know all this ….

more later ….
l know about the historic meaning of prussia.
in bismarcks time a prusssian was just another sort of a german ….

and btw …..a prussian can also mean ….. any german north of the river Main …..

l know about the historic meaning of prussia.
in bismarcks time a prusssian was just another sort of a german ….

and btw …..a prussian can also mean ….. any german north of the river Main …..
Typical Southern take :p

Typical Southern take :p
true …..

just as for northerners everything south of the main is bavaria ,,,,,if not even turkey ,,,,, :)

true …..

just as for northerners everything south of the main is bavaria ,,,,,if not even turkey ,,,,, :)
and btw ….. we from baden hate those german prussians …. and for a good reason. …. ever since 1848/49 ….. maybe you know why ….

1848/49

the time of the baden revolution …. and elsewhere in germany

to do away with the monarchy …. and have a united democratic and peaceful country ….

in baden the revolution had already won …. but then the prussian army invaded …..

one of my ancestors had fought on the side of the democracy ….

Nope, German speakers (the Teutonic Knights) tembezzled the identity long before.

The original Prussians (Baltic) were more related to Latvians and Lithuanians.
i mean by the time we are spaeking of prussians were germans ….. in berlin and east of it etc etc ….

He was, at best, from the Habsburg realm. Just like Beethoven (born in Bonn)

mozart

he was from salzburg . which was not austrian at the time of his birth ….

that frederic made subtle point by not styling himself king OF prussia, but king IN prussia

Both, at that time Austrian was not really something separate from German. Anyone who spoke a German dialect was basically German, so Austrian would just be a type of German.
yes …. germany then was not defined geographically, but linguistically

germany was there where people spoke german

and btw ….. we from baden hate those german prussians …. and for a good reason. …. ever since 1848/49 ….. maybe you know why ….
I do indeed and can't blame anyone either

that frederic made subtle point by not styling himself king OF prussia, but king IN prussia
Bit like Wilhelm Eins (William I) who refused to be named Kaiser von Deutschland but preferred to be Deutscher Kaiser (German Emperor rather than Emperor of Germany).

Going into the reasons for these kinds of semantics would explode this thread, so I won't.

Bit like Wilhelm Eins (William I) who refused to be named Kaiser von Deutschland but preferred to be Deutscher Kaiser (German Emperor rather than Emperor of Germany).

Going into the reasons for these kinds of semantics would explode this thread, so I won't.
it would explode this thread indeed

😎

bavaria, balkans, turkey, asia ….. all more or less the same!

😁😎😄
I have it on good authority that Bavarians came into existence when the Roman legions, upon fleeing South across the Alps, left their foot-sore and the venereals behind.

Afterwards centuries of "Föhn" and "Starkbier" did the rest.:ROFLMAO:

like the bavarians we call the prussians often thus: Sau-Preußen ….
Like when a Japanese tourist took an apple at a market without paying and the stall owner shouted at him "Saupreiss, japanischer".

I have it on good authority that Bavarians came into existence when the Roman legions, upon fleeing South across the Alps, left their foot-sore and the venereals behind.

Afterwards centuries of "Föhn" and "Starkbier" did the rest.:ROFLMAO:
nice legend …..

and why did they flee ….. because we Alemannen had crossed the Roman limes ..

nice legend …..

and why did they flee ….. because we Alemannen had crossed the Roman limes ..
Nope, they simply couldn't take the Föhn and the Starkbier

Like when a Japanese tourist took an apple at a market without paying and the stall owner shouted at him "Saupreiss, japanischer".
yes, there may be even chinese sau-preissn …

::)

Back
Top Bottom