• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

gender differences

ladyflash said:
I sometimes think that the only differences between men and women are those of a physical nature. The rest are down to self-fulfilling prophecy. Women are told they cannot read maps, and so believe they can't, men are told they can't multitask, and so believe they can't. Perhaps we are so obsessed with the apparent differences between genders that we perpetuate those very ‘differences’ by insisting that they are true...just a thought. :doh

Men have a capacity for violence, usually seen only in wartime, that you, as a chick, wouldn't believe. There is a thin veneer of civilization covering that potential, so you don't see it, but it is a BIG difference.

My statistics teacher explained it thus: "Face it. Nobody want to date the girl who aced the calculus test."

Hey! I usually get the highest scores on Calculus tests and math competitions...which comes along with plenty of friendly teasing throughout middle school and plenty of "oh wait, she's a real girl, I'm going to ask her out" throughout high school. Anyway, an article I wrote for the school newspaper last year:

Why do women always have to complicate everything? I’ve had my share of listening to teenage girls obsess about three little words that a boy said to them. I’m sure somewhere along the way, I have been guilty of doing this, except the three words that made me obsess are probably “I beat you” in regard to a math test, rather than “I like you” in regard to—well, the great mystery that forces a girl to ponder for hours and days: “Did he mean it as ‘I like you’ or ‘I like you’?” Meanwhile, the boy has forgotten all about saying those three words, whichever words he might have said, and is probably killing things on Halo 2 or checking out the animated cheerleaders on ESPN NFL 2K5.
On January 14, 2005, the president of Harvard University, Lawrence Summers, made the statement that there is a significantly smaller number of women than men in mathematics and science because of three reasons, listed from most important to least: a lack of interest by women in these fields, an “intrinsic aptitude” in men for math and science, and society’s discrimination towards women. Chaos erupted as women obsessed over and thoroughly complicated this simple statement. Many shed tears, while a few rejoiced.
When I was told of Larry Summers’ statement (by a boy who is much smarter than me at everything except math), I certainly rejoiced: it was time for a little debate. In the last couple of decades, we have come to redefine feminism from its original meaning of promoting equality between men and women, something achieved by opening the doors of opportunity to all, to taking pity on “poor, deprived” women who supposedly need an extra push than men to succeed.
Why can’t we let society run its own course instead of complicating everything with this radical “feminism”? An extra push means taking away the freedom of choice of women and brainwashing them to think that they must succeed in math, science, and other professions in order to be an “independent” woman. Radical feminists refuse to see that women who choose to get married and have the privilege of raising children are not confined by the “chains of society”, but in fact very independent in defying a society that scorns the housewife.
I admit that I do not know enough about scientific research done on biological gender differences to argue for or against the claim of “intrinsic aptitude” in men towards math and science. However, it does not matter in today’s society because women are allowed to study math and science if they want to and succeed in it, whether through hard work or intrinsic talent.
Recruiting women into math and science programs does nothing but cripple. Are women weak, fragile creatures who need a special crutch? Why should we make pity cases out of women just because they were teased by boys for staying home on Friday nights with their math textbooks or had to study alongside with male chauvinistic pigs? Quite blatantly, male chauvinism is always going to exist anywhere you go. If a woman needs an advantage in getting a math- or science-related job because she was disadvantaged by male chauvinism, then why would she succeed in a work environment that is dominated by males? A woman should be hired because she is the most qualified person, not because she is a number or symbol that creates a half-and-half artificial “equality”.

Why are you misrepresenting feminism?

Women should not be allowed to join the military. If I was going into combat, I would want a man beside me. Men are physically stronger than women. There’s no question about it. Every little bit of strength might help. I don’t want to take a chance of having a weaker person beside me. Women can cook for the military and that’s it.

talentoso said:
Women should not be allowed to join the military. If I was going into combat, I would want a man beside me. Men are physically stronger than women.
How odd and ignorant. It seems like you are still under the impression that combat is done by broadsword and maces? There is really no reality in your remark.

steen said:
How odd and ignorant. It seems like you are still under the impression that combat is done by broadsword and maces? There is really no reality in your remark.

If I recall the Israeli 1948 war of Independance was fought by a military with a strong female representation who fought side by side with the men? (they simply did not have enough combatants?)

You make it sound like being in the military is just a walk in the park. If a civilian would be thrown into a battle, they’d more than likely freeze and just hope for a retreat. Only a select breed can handle the toughest of the tough conditions put upon them in times of battle. Men are just better suited physically for those tough environments. Men get one thing on their mind, to kill the enemy, and that’s all they think about and do. Not being very emotional, they don’t freeze when they see people around them being obliterated. They just get the job done.

talentoso said:
You make it sound like being in the military is just a walk in the park. If a civilian would be thrown into a battle, they’d more than likely freeze and just hope for a retreat. Only a select breed can handle the toughest of the tough conditions put upon them in times of battle. Men are just better suited physically for those tough environments. Men get one thing on their mind, to kill the enemy, and that’s all they think about and do. Not being very emotional, they don’t freeze when they see people around them being obliterated. They just get the job done.
So you claim war is broadsword and mace, yes no surprise there. Or maybe you are referring to neanderthal clubbing?

talentoso said:
Only a select breed can handle the toughest of the tough conditions put upon them in times of battle.

so allow women into the military, and if they cant get through the training, dont let them go out onto the fields.

talentoso said:
Not being very emotional, they don’t freeze when they see people around them being obliterated.

perhaps not, but they do get PTSD.

steen said:

There's no way shape or form women can be combat soldiers, except for the VERY rare individual. Women don't have the killer instinct and response of men. Because I am a man, under the right circumstances, I would cut the liver out of my enemy and eat for breakfast, while staring him in the eyes as he breathed his last. Chicks have no idea - none.

alphamale said:
There's no way shape or form women can be combat soldiers, except for the VERY rare individual.
Ah, a "just because I say so" postulation. I am sure you have actual evidence, that this is not just some misogynistic claptrap, right?

Women don't have the killer instinct and response of men.
I am sure you have some solid and proven evidence for this, right?

Because I am a man, under the right circumstances, I would cut the liver out of my enemy and eat for breakfast, while staring him in the eyes as he breathed his last.
Hmm, if you are flying a bomber or staffing artillery, you don't get to see them that close. Seems like you are another one whose idea of combat is antiquated claptrap like broadsword and mace. Not very applicable to the real world, which therefore makes your "just because I claim so" postulations frankly seem weird.

Chicks have no idea - none.
Ah, just because you say so. Yes, we are aware that this is how you try to portray your personal beliefs as facts. But that merely shows how little you understand about what a fact is, so do you think it helps your argument at all?

alphamale said:
There's no way shape or form women can be combat soldiers, except for the VERY rare individual. Women don't have the killer instinct and response of men. Because I am a man, under the right circumstances, I would cut the liver out of my enemy and eat for breakfast, while staring him in the eyes as he breathed his last. Chicks have no idea - none.

Slightly different but by your feelings should women not be cops as well?

bandaidwoman said:
Slightly different but by your feelings should women not be cops as well?

Women as street cops is mostly "affirmative action". Let's say the whole police force were women - would that give you a lot of confidence? The burden of having women is picked up by the men.

We can all agree that in matters of "hand-to hand" up close fighting, (speaking in general terms) the male of the species will be superior in that aspect simply by the laws of nature. Nature could care less about political correctness. It is what it is.

But in todays warfare, the people that do the most damage are the ones sitting in the air conditioned fire control consoles 20 miles off the coast. Far away from anything "hand-to-hand" and I think that women are intelligent and diciplined enough to do this job as well as any man.

But, nature also plays into this equation in other ways. Again, speaking in general terms, it is inherent in most all males the instinct to protect the female and keep them out of harms way. Asking otherwise of them is the same as asking a baby not to cry. Granted, some men could care less about protecting the female of our species so that is why I preface as saying, "speaking in general terms."

This instinct to protect our women will lead the male to use just about any argument to keep them off the battlefield. I know I wouldn't want my little girl on the battlefield (or my boys either for that matter.) But, it's not nice to fool mother nature and until mankind pulls it's collective head out of it's collective *** and finally realize that war sucks, we can expect our sons (and daughters) to keep supplying the war machines with cannon fodder.

alphamale said:
Women as street cops is mostly "affirmative action". Let's say the whole police force were women - would that give you a lot of confidence? The burden of having women is picked up by the men.

Which is a shame, because many studies done comparing female officers to male officers have favored the women, including those done on the issue of excessive force. In statistics provided for many larger law enforcement agencies, women comprise about 5% of complaints involving excessive force, 5% of citizen complaints and 2% of sustained complaints. Women engage in as many arrests as their male counterparts and do not hesitate to use force when necessary, but their rates of excessive force are far exceeded by male officers.

Financially, women are more cost-effective when it comes to civil litigation paid out by cities and counties in relation to excessive force, sexual assaults and domestic violence. Although nationally, women are outnumbered by about 6.5 to 1, in terms of law suits paid out, men outnumber women, anywhere from 20 to 40 to 1.

So the logical thing to do would be to hire more female officers...

I don't know (assumming these studies are right) seems like women make darn fine cops.;)

bandaidwoman said:
I don't know (assumming these studies are right) seems like women make darn fine cops.;)

No. If women can be cops, then 13 year old boys could be cops. If you were a cop, who would you want as a partner? If you were being mugged by three people, who would you want to show up - a chick? Get real folks.

alphamale said:
No. If women can be cops, then 13 year old boys could be cops. If you were a cop, who would you want as a partner? If you were being mugged by three people, who would you want to show up - a chick? Get real folks.

your entitled to your opinion in this great free country. :smile:

My earlier post in this thread told the story of my father's partner in Air America (CIA airforce) a fellow combat pilot and operative. He has no qualms with female toughness since she carried him out of the jungles, flew the plane with half her leg blown off (occurred during take off) and died after landing the plane back at base. Everyone else had died during their blown search and rescue operation and she fought for his life until she could get him back to the chopper. ( He was injured, had a patella shot off.) She was a half vietnamese half french petite little thing. Apparently she was on the mission because she was their best sharp shooter (he believes women make better snipers than men.)

star2589 said:
what are the differences between men and women? there are of course the obvious anatomical differences, but are there more than that? are women better suited to rearing children, and men better suited to working? What other differences are there, if any?

what is the scientific evidence supporting your claims?

these differences don't have to be absolute, but only general trends, though the stronger the trend the better.

Women have better memories. My mom still remembers screwups that my dad did 10 years ago.

I'm male but I'm good looking. So what?

Donkey1499 said:
But most decent women don't smell like a barn either, unlike you! :mrgreen:

Donks be nice. :naughty At least let him get used to your....charm...first.:lol:

Back
Top Bottom