• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every persons position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Full Moon

Sykes

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Tonight is a full moon. Do you think there's any truth to the assertion that the full moon affects people's personalities?

Captain Adverse

Classical Liberal Sage
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
Tonight is a full moon. Do you think there's any truth to the assertion that the full moon affects people's personalities?

Check your palm....if you see a pentagram then you'll know for sure. ;)

Helix

Administrator
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
i'll let you know after i get drunk, strip naked, and bay at the moon.

HonestJoe

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Indirectly maybe, due to it being generally lighter at night, though that will be less relevant in a world full of artificial lighting. I can't think of any good reason why there would be any direct affect. The moon is always there however much of it we can see and it only reflects the light of the Sun so surely any direct effect from that would be overshadowed (no pun intended) by direct sunlight during the day. I suspect the belief that full moon does have an affect is a mixture of ancient faiths and myths fed by generations of confirmation bias.

Wiseone

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

I don't know about people but my dryer broke today and I had to hang my wet clothes out to dry, I don't see why the moon couldnt have played a part in this.

Ontologuy

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Absoluely it does.

If it's powerful enough to affect the fluids in the ocean, it's powerful enough to affect the fluids in the brain, along with the neuronet function.

I have known people who themselves were self-admitted "lunatics", and I obvserved their behavior during full moons.

It's real.

Not a lot is known about the mechanisms themselves, but, the effect is real.

Sykes

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Absoluely it does.

If it's powerful enough to affect the fluids in the ocean, it's powerful enough to affect the fluids in the brain, along with the neuronet function.

I have known people who themselves were self-admitted "lunatics", and I obvserved their behavior during full moons.

It's real.

Not a lot is known about the mechanisms themselves, but, the effect is real.

Gravitational pull has something to do with it, essentially? *in your estimation*

HonestJoe

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Absoluely it does.

What would that have to do with the phase of the moon though? We get the same gravitational effect whether the moon is full or new.

Self-confessed or self-defined? I don't see how you can eliminate confirmation bias from this (without a very long and hugely restrictive experiment).

Goshin

Burned Out Ex-Mod
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

Statistically speaking... frack if I know. But back when I was in LE sometimes it did SEEM as if our craziest of crazy nights were during a full moon...

CanadaJohn

Canadian Conservative
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative

There was a beautiful full moon this morning when I was out walking the dog - nice and big, clear, mesmerizing. Not sure it affected my personality since I'm still pretty darn terrific.

Occam's Razor

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other

AhhhhrrrRRROOOOOOOOOOO

nope, none at all...

polgara

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
There was a beautiful full moon this morning when I was out walking the dog - nice and big, clear, mesmerizing. Not sure it affected my personality since I'm still pretty darn terrific.

The current Full Moon is in the sign of Aquarius. It's not water he's pouring out of his jug, but knowledge. I'd say you have your personality pegged quite well! :thumbs:

Helix

Administrator
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
i'll let you know after i get drunk, strip naked, and bay at the moon.

update : i just took my little dog outside and tried to teach her to howl. she just danced around. don't worry, my neighbors weren't alarmed. they're used to my quirks.

CanadaJohn

Canadian Conservative
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
The current Full Moon is in the sign of Aquarius. It's not water he's pouring out of his jug, but knowledge. I'd say you have your personality pegged quite well! :thumbs:

Takes one, to know one, Lady P - good morning and have a fun day.

Lord of Planar

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Absolutely.

However, it's the placebo effect.

Lord of Planar

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right

When the moon.... Is in the 7th house... and Jupiter, aligned with Mars...

Funny how certain words trigger memories.

Aunt Spiker

Cheese
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate

No . . . the myth has been bunked for quite some time. It's a matter of awareness - people notice, and see connections, and otherwise they don't pay attention.

Sykes

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
No . . . the myth has been bunked for quite some time. It's a matter of awareness - people notice, and see connections, and otherwise they don't pay attention.

What about when cops, people working psych units, etc notice.

Usually, I notice people acting wonky so go ****. Is it a full moon? I Google, and the answer is yes.

_Markum_

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Absolutely.

However, it's the placebo effect.

Are you saying that the mind-over-matter explanation is more acceptable to you than the matter-over-matter explanation?

TheGirlNextDoor


DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
What about when cops, people working psych units, etc notice.

Usually, I notice people acting wonky so go ****. Is it a full moon? I Google, and the answer is yes.

I always notice. Things get crazy, I'm emergency on call, all hell breaks loose. I step outside and look up....Yup. .Full moon.

Top Bottom