• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

From NY to LA in 45 minutes?

2800 miles in under an hour? Yeah, right. That won't take a tremendous amount of energy. And, these tubes. Just who and how are those going to be built? A 3000 mile pneumatic tube. :lol:

Well it's going to start very small, and very expensive. People just need to realize that. He wants to start with a route between LA and SF. He's publishing the technology open hardware (yeah, seriously!), so when people see how the first one works, progress can go pretty quickly after that.

We have to keep the goal in mind, which is the ability to visit anywhere on the globe within hours. One could theoretically live in LA and work in NYC. I could visit my family in the US any weekend I wanted. The possibilities are endless.

It would make a whole lot more sense to start the project with cargo in mind rather than passengers. I'd start with a run from Norfolk to Raleigh or something like that just to get the bugs worked out. After that you can work on crazier elevation changes and such. If you start it as a passenger platform and don't work those bugs out folks will avoid it like the plague. On top of that it will be easier to get financing if the production sector sees a benefit.

It would make a whole lot more sense to start the project with cargo in mind rather than passengers. I'd start with a run from Norfolk to Raleigh or something like that just to get the bugs worked out. After that you can work on crazier elevation changes and such. If you start it as a passenger platform and don't work those bugs out folks will avoid it like the plague. On top of that it will be easier to get financing if the production sector sees a benefit.
Yeah, they need to start small to show the tech is viable.

Here's a company working on it: ET3

- ET3 can provide 50 times more transportation per kWh than electric cars or trains.
- ET3 can be built for 1/10th the cost of High Speed Rail, or 1/4th the cost of a freeway.
- The ET3 demo requires 3 miles of straight right-of-way, and will showcase all elements necessary to network ET3 on a regional basis.
- Speed in initial ET3 systems is 600km/h (370 mph) for in state trips, and will be developed to 6,500 km/h (4,000 mph) for international travel that will allow passenger or cargo travel from New York to Beijing in 2 hours.

2800 miles in under an hour? Yeah, right. That won't take a tremendous amount of energy. And, these tubes. Just who and how are those going to be built? A 3000 mile pneumatic tube. :lol:

It would be 50 times less energy per person than conventional methods, would cost 1/10th of a train track to build, or 1/4th of a highway.

Last edited:
Of course, but getting cash is one of the things he's really great at. Science wise this isn't any harder than building rockets to get to the ISS.

You apparently don't know anything about Elon Musk.

He is kicking the electric car asses of Toyota, Honda, Ford, and GM with his cars right now.

His prices are higher due to lower volume, but his technology is better.

I can guarantee that his development costs were much lower, and design time was incredibly faster.

Yeah, they need to start small to show the tech is viable.

Here's a company working on it: ET3

Yeah. That trans-oceanic bit is going to require someone to pull a rabbit out of their hat. I just don't see a practical way to make that work.

Elon Musk = Paypal that's it
the fact that he's touting this hairbrained scheme proves he's nothing special just has lotsa bucks

bring in the next wack-a-doodle

the fact that he's touting this hairbrained scheme proves he's nothing special just has lotsa bucks

Can you not read? He started SpaceX which has designed and launched rockets to dock with the ISS. NASA now pays him to get stuff up.

But hey, by all means, keep showing off your extreme ignorance on the subject.

thanks for thinking that a guy with a genius IQ is an idiot
this is the 2nd time you've done it in a week
good jerb buddy go on wid yo bad self
next you'll be singing the praises of Jeff Bezos'?

LOL...

Streetcars were already going bankrupt. They were really expensive to maintain, and the constriction was paid for by selling shares and bonds that people lost their asses on. They took in billions of revenue, but made no profit. Only losses.

public transportation is supposed to be a luser
to be used by lusers, and in the end we all luse

Not many of us are so important that we need to be anywhere in 45 minutes....

Elon Musk thinks he can get you from NY to LA in 45 minutes.

Read the rest here.

IF this could actually work and enough people could get behind the project, it'd be awesome. It really would.

It's been talked about by sci-fi writers for 60 years or more.

Problem is the startup costs, not to mention some major engineering feats.

An idiot savant is still an idiot...
Problems occur when these guys have to go out in the world and function without assistance, some can't do it.
I will sing his praises when he does something that serves a real need, not just inflating his own ego.

What? He is literally the first man to build a commercial space company from the ground up and to have launched his own rockets into orbit and with potentially reusable single stage to orbit rockets he could revolutionize space travel. He presides over the most successful electric car company in history and has brought it to the verge of mass commercialization.

SpaceX, Tesla, Solar City, Paypal all of these have his stamp on them. If you don't know anything about him then fine, but don't spout when what you're saying is so quickly refutable.

Are you serious? Jeff Bezos is an incredibly impressive entrepreneur and leader in the tech industry.

You've never been stuck in traffic when you had to use the can?;)

Very seldom, and I am 67....
Plan ahead, dude, plan ahead...
or aren't there any cans in Tucson? :2razz:

Will be killed off by the oil and car industry, just as they have killed off everything else that threatens their business.

Not a chance. The car people don't scare the plane people who don't scare the train people. Unless they figure out how to stop in multiple locations, they threaten nothing. If anything, it will build other transports from the 2 hubs.

You've never been stuck in traffic when you had to use the can?;)
Can you imagine this system having a fault, and being stuck in a can, for who knows how long, in the middle of nowhere, under ground?

Are you serious? Jeff Bezos is an incredibly impressive entrepreneur and leader in the tech industry.

Very few "genius" types have skills beyond the ones that got them labeled genius in the first place.
Jeff surely isn't going near my prostate come the day I need that worked on....

Yes, but who will pay the maintenance and upkeep if he gets this thing built?

A crash is deadly due to the extreme g forces exerted by rapid deceleration. If you were traveling 300mph and skidded to a stop you'd be a lot more likely to survive than if you were traveling 40 mph and hit a wall.
I would be worried about leaks in the system, or sudden holes developing.

Yes, but who will pay the maintenance and upkeep if he gets this thing built?

The 47% of us who still pay taxes? A losing proposition to make life easier for losers, that's the ticket....

The 47% of us who still pay taxes? A losing proposition to make life easier for losers, that's the ticket....

Yep.

Rides will probably be $150 each and subsidized $4,000 each.

Back
Top Bottom