• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Free speech and ALL speech needs to be allowed on Twitter, does that mean you believe that should included targeted hate speech against Jews?

Is hate speech against Jews free speech? Should this be allowed on Twitter?

• Total voters
Twitter is already open to hate groups.
Yes they do... But if I post on Twitter that 'Group A' people are all liars and thieves and use space lasars to start fires'.. That is much different than if I say all people belonging to 'Group A' should be killed and I'm going to kill them...

Both are free speech and hateful.. But 1 is an opinion and a conspiracy... The other is a direct threat..

Who told you this?
Carl Bernstein, for one. Ken Silverstein of the Intercept, for another, and things like the Anonymous leaked documents that showed the 10 year long propaganda campaign by US and UK intelligence in Syria, and instances like the CIA manipulation of the media in publishing the "Russian bounties" story (debunked) and the like.

But many sources.

I am not responding to the poll, because it doesn't offer my choice.

Yes, it's hate speech, and no, Twitter doesn't have to allow it.

is this still up?
Best to know who they are.

Much worse is that there are other folks out there with worse views than that, and we'd never know. This guy showed us all who he is.

Remember, I think Musk said something about everyone's identity being verified. He's mentioned wanting to expand blue check identity verification to everyone.

Eric Husby

Carl Bernstein, for one. Ken Silverstein of the Intercept, for another, and things like the Anonymous leaked documents that showed the 10 year long propaganda campaign by US and UK intelligence in Syria, and instances like the CIA manipulation of the media in publishing the "Russian bounties" story (debunked) and the like.

But many sources.
I don't see any.

I am not responding to the poll, because it doesn't offer my choice.

Yes, it's hate speech, and no, Twitter doesn't have to allow it.
What's the "it" you're referring to? You're saying "targeted hate speech directed at Jews" is hate speech?

I don't see any.
You asked me who "told me." Another is CIA whistleblower John Stockwell who told us how CIA uses propaganda by planting false stories in local media later sent to AFP or Reuters.

Here's a summary of some sources - https://www.cato.org/commentary/how-national-security-state-manipulates-news-media

Ken Silverstein - https://theintercept.com/2014/09/04/former-l-times-reporter-cleared-stories-cia-publication/ and the reporter Ken Dilanian inadvertently told us -- https://lawandcrime.com/high-profil...-report-has-his-stories-previewed-by-the-cia/

The Guardian piece about the vaunted "intelligence agencies" - who cannot be criticized or one is a Russian sympathizer - using social media and sock puppet software to spread propaganda - https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2011/mar/17/us-spy-operation-social-networks

I mean, really, dude?

Once again, free speech only refers to government restrictions on speech. As a private corp, Twitter has no impact on free speech. There are 10 (I think) types of speech that are not protected (hate speech is not one of them). Twitter should make sure none of those types of speech are allowed. If they allow it, the DoJ should use all of their powers to prevent, or punish those responsible for posting it (Twitter and the tweeter).
Reread the 1st Amendment sometime. It's about legislation. This whole argument, about companies being allowed to censor, only works for liberals when it isn't them. Now that Musk has Twitter, they're howling like sniveling snowflakes. If I weren't a staunch supporter of free speech, regardless of any amendment, I'd censor liberals for a while just to give them a taste of their own medicine. If you only believe in the free speech because of the 1st Amendment, then you don't believe in free speech.

Shaun King
@shaunking

Ask ANY conservative this question and watch them STRUGGLE to answer it. Since you say free speech and ALL speech needs to be allowed on Twitter, does that mean you believe that should included targeted hate speech against Jews? Should that be allowed? Be specific and clear.
Free speech does not permit "hate speech" IF it is actually hate speech.

We all agree that one cannot falsely yell "fire" in a crowded theater.

And we all (if we are decent) agree that we cannot advocate violence against any group. So it's fine if ignoramuses are forbidden to say crude things about Asians because of COVID.

But if one does not agree with what the government has been telling us about COVID or the honesty of elections, that is NOT "hate speech." That is simply another opinion. Don't forget: There was once upon a time when doctors ridiculed the idea that invisible things called "germs" could cause disease. And even the saintly Dr. F. was wrong in the early fight against HIV.

Woke Democrats simply do not want people to say anything that contradicts woke theology.

free speech is not the problem......it's under educated conservatives that is the problem......

Reread the 1st Amendment sometime. It's about legislation. This whole argument, about companies being allowed to censor, only works for liberals when it isn't them. Now that Musk has Twitter, they're howling like sniveling snowflakes. If I weren't a staunch supporter of free speech, regardless of any amendment, I'd censor liberals for a while just to give them a taste of their own medicine. If you only believe in the free speech because of the 1st Amendment, then you don't believe in free speech.
You have a picture of a founder, but you don't know what they were talking about. Source your legislation claim.

Yes, our right-wing friends are titillated by the prospect if Twitter accepting content about whacky conspiracy theories and hate speech, but the content provider is going to have to I do some moderating if they don't want their business to go down in the sewer. Maybe they think the success story of Fox News, with its nutty, racist content is a success story model fir Twitter, but Fox News is slick and with professional infotainers. I'm not sure they can bring that slick level of propaganda to Twitter.
Who needs Twitter? Anyone can get their fill of hate speech on sewers like this.

You asked me who "told me." Another is CIA whistleblower John Stockwell who told us how CIA uses propaganda by planting false stories in local media later sent to AFP or Reuters.

Here's a summary of some sources - https://www.cato.org/commentary/how-national-security-state-manipulates-news-media

Ken Silverstein - https://theintercept.com/2014/09/04/former-l-times-reporter-cleared-stories-cia-publication/ and the reporter Ken Dilanian inadvertently told us -- https://lawandcrime.com/high-profil...-report-has-his-stories-previewed-by-the-cia/

The Guardian piece about the vaunted "intelligence agencies" - who cannot be criticized or one is a Russian sympathizer - using social media and sock puppet software to spread propaganda - https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2011/mar/17/us-spy-operation-social-networks

I mean, really, dude?
The story of the internet. This is not news.

You have a picture of a founder, but you don't know what they were talking about. Source your legislation claim.
You're unresponsive.

I actually find this very interesting, because we are seeing this play out with the January 6th arguments that Trump is responsible for inciting.

As a hypothetical, a cult leader (no I am not saying Trump is a cult leader before you try and argue that) who is not "getting his hands dirty" calls on his followers to go and kill minorities, and they do it, would that cult leader be responsible? Technically, using this argument,, all he did was say that his followers should so it. He did not break any laws, or personally kill anybody.

At what point does "free speech" become criminal? Is it really about not wanting to hear it and move on, or is it about not wanting to hear it, but being unstable in the head that that speech reaches that person in a way that makes him or her act on the things that he or she heard, whether they wanted to hear it or not? There are exceptions to every rule (not yelling fire when there is no fire, killing someone in self defense), where would the line be?
First of all, Trump did not incite anything but peaceful protest.

But to your hypothetical. If a "cult leader" tells his followers to kill someone and the followers do it, then I think the leader is just as responsible as the followers. After all, the cult leader is the one who gave the orders.

Shaun King
@shaunking

Ask ANY conservative this question and watch them STRUGGLE to answer it. Since you say free speech and ALL speech needs to be allowed on Twitter, does that mean you believe that should included targeted hate speech against Jews? Should that be allowed? Be specific and clear.

any speech on Twitter is NOT free speech. 🤷‍♂️

its privileged speech that twitter allows on their property and which they can remove said speech and or permission/privilege at any time they see fit within the law

Musk doesn’t go into business to make money. None of his ventures turn a profit. He does it for personal entertainment.
Yeah, you go with that…….what was he worth in 2017?

He is now 10x that number…..because he doesn’t care.

free speech is not the problem......it's under educated conservatives that is the problem......
But under-educated "centrists" are just fine?

Musk doesn’t go into business to make money. None of his ventures turn a profit. He does it for personal entertainment.
That is perhaps the most naïve post I've ever seen.

Yeah, you go with that…….what was he worth in 2017?

He is now 10x that number…..because he doesn’t care.
All of his money is locked up in investment. He makes his money in the market not through his business ventures. Tesla has never once turned an annual profit. His boring company is a big fat joke. SpaceX is hemorrhaging money.

All of his money is locked up in investment. He makes his money in the market not through his business ventures. Tesla has never once turned an annual profit. His boring company is a big fat joke. SpaceX is hemorrhaging money.
Something is working for him?

Back
Top Bottom