• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

France’s Marine Le Pen refused to wear a headscarf to meet with.. religious leaders

Re: France’s Marine Le Pen refused to wear a headscarf to meet with.. religious leade

Le Penn is not a tourist being cheated by arab merchants in a bazaar

She is a representative of a major political party in france

Which is a favored destination for muslim refugees
I agree. See my response #48.

Re: France’s Marine Le Pen refused to wear a headscarf to meet with.. religious leade

You realize that saying someone was warned yet persisted isn't saying what they did was wrong right? Like I said before, you're reading into it. All they are saying is that she knew what she was doing and had knowledge of what would happen yet continued likely to prove a point. Hell, I support her. I'm perfectly fine with what she did. I'm not concerned with Islamist's rights more than womans rights. I'm just pointing out that no where does this article say she did anything bad or evil. They are just reporting on what happenned and your pissy because they don't outright express everything the way you'd like.

You purposefully don't see the tone and the framework of the article.

I would say the exact same thing about Elizabeth Warren reading the letter in the senate. "she was warned and given an explanation, but she persisted" and I wouldn't mean it in some evil way. She wanted to prove a point and make a stand. She "persisted".

Cept that would happen to anyone who violated rule 19 as agreed upon in the senate. This is a failed comparison.

LA penn wasn't to attend a "mass" or a "prayer" or any religious ceremonies.
It was a religious meeting, she knew it was.

You realize it was hijacked in the sixties, right? You would have to go back before that time to reclaim the word and I don't see that happening. Regardless, most women and men don't even see themselves as feminists as the movement is slowly dying off.

No trouble for me to go back before the 60s - after all I was a feminist in the 50s. Most women and most men, I hope, are now in favour of equal rights for women (unless, of course, they are Muslims). If they cannot now refer to each other by the proud and honourable name of feminists then so be it but I think it sad.

She also refused to legally be beaten in the street by her husband for talking to a man.

The nerve.

No trouble for me to go back before the 60s - after all I was a feminist in the 50s. Most women and most men, I hope, are now in favour of equal rights for women (unless, of course, they are Muslims). If they cannot now refer to each other by the proud and honourable name of feminists then so be it but I think it sad.

You really wouldn't like that actually since many large changes in ideology of the feminist movement happened in the 60's and decades since. Anyway, it is dying because a growing amount of people are seeing it as anti-male.

Nice try, but you miss on two counts: 1) none of the things on that list actually demands a single thing from you and
Wait, yer gonna argue that when I visit a Catholic church, there is no religious etiquette I should follow? Because, like, I have been to a number of Mass's, a few Wakes, a few Christenings...and I always try to observe proper practices even though I am not Baptized.

2) Marine Le Pen, being female, wouldn't be allowed to celebrate call to prayer with men in the first place.
No one said she would, as she would be with the women...as per their practice.

Or anyone who seeks out objective sources over activists sites for evidence.
I love it when folks who are not objective....demand....objective sources.

You purposefully don't see the tone and the framework of the article.

Lol, yea. How dare they say she "persisted".

I love it when folks who are not objective....demand....objective sources.

so wait, I am not objective according to you so that means I should take your not objective source as fact?

Did you really just say that?

Wait, yer gonna argue that when I visit a Catholic church, there is no religious etiquette I should follow? Because, like, I have been to a number of Mass's, a few Wakes, a few Christenings...and I always try to observe proper practices even though I am not Baptized.

Nobody requires anything of you, no. Like I said, nothing in that list is a demand of you. Heck, the majority of your list is simply explaining to you what everyone else around you is doing in case you are curious.

No one said she would, as she would be with the women...as per their practice.

She shouldn't be held to a requirement for a religion for which she is not an adherent.

so wait, I am not objective according to you so that means I should take your not objective source as fact?

Did you really just say that?
You can do whatever you want, I could give a rats. If you ask me "How is Le Pen a fascist", and I present a liberal POV, because I am a liberal, and you whine because it is liberal....INSTEAD OF ARGUING THE POINTS WITHIN...I couldn't care less.....and you just lost the argument. You have no counterpoint, observing that I and my POV is liberal is not a counter-argument.

Glad to see you write that.
We have a problem with Americans going overseas and insisting on being themselves and seeming to flaunt their arrogance. Such as American servicewoman in Saudi Arabia who wanted to drive off base and not wear a headscarf or Michelle Obama hugging the Queen. Americans lack manners overseas.

It would be a little like a high ranking woman from some Pacific Island or something coming to the whitehouse not wearing any top or bra. It would be a little shocking. But of course she could insist that that's how her culture is and she can't understand why women here are so oppressed that they have to cover their top all the time. When you are visiting somewhere, it's good to have some deference to the local cultural norms. Not doing so can look rather arrogant.

But the words "dangerous and arrogant naiveté" or "proud and stubborn ignorance" are sort of the watchwords of a new world which has taken sharp right turn in the last few years.

Give it up to AL-washington post, siding with the mysoginisy Muslim leaders... Reading this article it's all about how it was a "stunt", and you can see the sneering this writer had for le penn.

Le Penn stands up for womans rights in the face of islamic-fascism, and the washington post cant be more upset about it.... ALoha snack bar!

[/FONT][/COLOR]

As much as I disagree with her policies, good for her on this.

You can do whatever you want, I could give a rats. If you ask me "How is Le Pen a fascist", and I present a liberal POV, because I am a liberal, and you whine because it is liberal....INSTEAD OF ARGUING THE POINTS WITHIN...I couldn't care less.....and you just lost the argument. You have no counterpoint, observing that I and my POV is liberal is not a counter-argument.

yes you presented a far left kook site as evidence of la penn being a fascist. She may very well be, but you haven't proved it with your hack site. Why do you want me to argue against that sites idiocy, I'd rather argue your posts. given the kook left thinks trump's a fascist, forgive me for not wasting my time with far left kook sites.

Nobody requires anything of you, no. Like I said, nothing in that list is a demand of you. Heck, the majority of your list is simply explaining to you what everyone else around you is doing in case you are curious.
That is a lie, there are expectations of conduct and practice, yer playing semantic games.

She shouldn't be held to a requirement for a religion for which she is not an adherent.
This is just more of the same idiocy as above where an argument is made that visitors can act any way they want in any setting.

yes you presented a far left kook site as evidence of la penn being a fascist. She may very well be, but you haven't proved it with your hack site. Why do you want me to argue against that sites idiocy, I'd rather argue your posts. given the kook left thinks trump's a fascist, forgive me for not wasting my time with far left kook sites.
You still have not countered a thing.

She knew fully, it is disrespectful to visit anothers' home and not follow their cultural norms.she wasn't forced, it was a setup. whut?

When that cultural norm is a historical symbol for oppression of her gender then I say **** respecting it.

If people want to wear a headscarf, that's fine, but the idea of mandating someone to wear one harkens back to it's oppressive roots that I am glad Le Pen stood up to.

And I'm no fan of Le Pen.

Back
Top Bottom