• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

France’s Marine Le Pen refused to wear a headscarf to meet with.. religious leaders

ReverendHellh0und

I don't respect you.
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
France’s Marine Le Pen refused to wear a headscarf to meet with Lebanese religious leaders

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2017/02/23/marine-le-pen-refused-to-wear-a-headscarf-to-meet-with-lebanese-leaders/?utm_term=.4c25ab5cbc6c

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.
French far-right presidential candidate Marine Le Pen walked away from a meeting with Lebanon's top Sunni Muslim leaders after she refused to wear a headscarf. The move sparked an outcry across the Arab world. “Observers, pundits and voters here say that they believe that this was planned on her part because it would play very well to her far-right base at home, and also because they say it might detract from a growing scandal she is facing,” Lebanon-based reporter Natasha Ghoneim told al Jazeera.

Give it up to AL-washington post, siding with the mysoginisy Muslim leaders... Reading this article it's all about how it was a "stunt", and you can see the sneering this writer had for le penn.

Le Penn stands up for womans rights in the face of islamic-fascism, and the washington post cant be more upset about it.... ALoha snack bar!

Re: France’s Marine Le Pen refused to wear a headscarf to meet with.. religious leade

Yasser Louati, a Parisian-based activist, told the outlet.
I love how the media has thrown out all pretense of objectivity at this point. They're actually interviewing Muslim Activists and pretending it's an unbiased source.

Re: France’s Marine Le Pen refused to wear a headscarf to meet with.. religious leade

The fascist goes to Lebanon to meet religious leaders, knowing their practices require head covering...and she refuses.

It was a publicity move, red meat for her Islamophobe minions.

Give it up to AL-washington post, siding with the mysoginisy Muslim leaders... Reading this article it's all about how it was a "stunt", and you can see the sneering this writer had for le penn.

Le Penn stands up for womans rights in the face of islamic-fascism, and the washington post cant be more upset about it.... ALoha snack bar!

[/FONT][/COLOR]

What a disgrace of a newspaper. Not fit for a bird cage.

The fascist goes to Lebanon to meet religious leaders, knowing their practices require head covering...and she refuses.

THEIR practices, not HERS. The left just can resist forcing people to do things against their will, even women, who they supposedly support. As we can see, that's only in the few days leading up to an election, otherwise, forget it.

Good, she did exactly what everyone does when the religious try to force their religion on them, ignore it and move on.

THEIR practices, not HERS. The left just can resist forcing people to do things against their will, even women, who they supposedly support. As we can see, that's only in the few days leading up to an election, otherwise, forget it.

Please give an example of the American "left" forcing people to wear headscarfs. Don't try to pretend that any act of government is "force" against the people, as the GOP is more than willing to force people to follow their decrees and institutions.

Couldnt the headlines just as easily be "Backward muslim leaders out of touch with the 21st Century?"

Why do we always have to play by leftwing rules?

Glad to see you write that.
We have a problem with Americans going overseas and insisting on being themselves and seeming to flaunt their arrogance. Such as American servicewoman in Saudi Arabia who wanted to drive off base and not wear a headscarf or Michelle Obama hugging the Queen. Americans lack manners overseas.

[/FONT][/COLOR]

I think in the interest of diplomacy and tact, one could wear the head scarf as a symbol showing that they want to work together with the other group. It's certainly the more diplomatic approach, and in the end it's just a head scarf and it's not like she has to wear it all the time. Just as a show for the meeting.

On the other hand, there also should be no expectation on her that she does. It's not her religion nor her restrictions and she doesn't need to abide by them. The other side should be sensitive to this as well.

In the end, it does seem like grandstanding, three's likely some truth to that claim, but there's nothing to state she would have to wear a headscarf.

Not at all. She refused to wear it the last time as well.

As the old saying goes, the progressives don't care what you do so long as it's mandatory.

The fascist was the one demanding someone else do something or else. the islamic leader is the fascist.

She's refused in the past, she continues to refuse. It's not islamophobia to stand up for womans rights and belief that we are equal. Why do you call it islamophobia?

I think in the interest of diplomacy and tact, one could wear the head scarf as a symbol showing that they want to work together with the other group. It's certainly the more diplomatic approach, and in the end it's just a head scarf and it's not like she has to wear it all the time. Just as a show for the meeting.

On the other hand, there also should be no expectation on her that she does. It's not her religion nor her restrictions and she doesn't need to abide by them. The other side should be sensitive to this as well.

In the end, it does seem like grandstanding, three's likely some truth to that claim, but there's nothing to state she would have to wear a headscarf.

What do you mean? The islamic fascist cleric cancelled the meeting because he couldn't impose his religious will on her.

We have a problem with Americans going overseas and insisting on being themselves and seeming to flaunt their arrogance. Such as American servicewoman in Saudi Arabia who wanted to drive off base and not wear a headscarf or Michelle Obama hugging the Queen. Americans lack manners overseas.

I dont suppose you are an American

But are you even from this planet?

Le Penn is french, bless her heart.

THEIR practices, not HERS.
She knew fully, it is disrespectful to visit anothers' home and not follow their cultural norms.
The left just can resist forcing people to do things against their will, even women, who they supposedly support.
she wasn't forced, it was a setup.
As we can see, that's only in the few days leading up to an election, otherwise, forget it.
whut?

What do you mean? The islamic fascist cleric cancelled the meeting because he couldn't impose his religious will on her.

What do you mean "what do I mean"? It's quite clear, written in plain English. In the world of international diplomacy, it would have been the diplomatic and tactful move to wear the headscarf, but she was under no obligation to do so. It would have just helped things out on a diplomatic front.

Good, she did exactly what everyone does when the religious try to force their religion on them, ignore it and move on.

Please give an example of the American "left" forcing people to wear headscarfs. Don't try to pretend that any act of government is "force" against the people, as the GOP is more than willing to force people to follow their decrees and institutions.

Why? Where did I specifically say headscarfs?

What do you mean "what do I mean"? It's quite clear, written in plain English. In the world of international diplomacy, it would have been the diplomatic and tactful move to wear the headscarf, but she was under no obligation to do so. It would have just helped things out on a diplomatic front.

odd. second time, I could have sworn I was replying to something else. I understand your point, but I support la penn or anyone who stands up to religious fascism.

She knew fully, it is disrespectful to visit anothers' home and not follow their cultural norms.she wasn't forced, it was a setup. whut?

So you would have supported black people being sent to the back of the bus as it was at the time the "cultural norm".

Do the muslims have to eat pork when they visit America?

Diplomatic and tactful would have been for the muslims to meet the french woman half way.

The fascist was the one demanding someone else do something or else.
le pen is the fascist, she wants to end religious freedom.
the islamic leader is the fascist.
no, conservatives, akin to Catholics.

She's refused in the past, she continues to refuse.
Because she is a rude fascist, like her father.
It's not islamophobia to stand up for womans rights and belief that we are equal.
le pen wants to restrict Islamic women from practicing their faith.
Why do you call it islamophobia?
because it is.

She knew fully, it is disrespectful to visit anothers' home and not follow their cultural norms.
So you would be okay with having any visitors to our country remove their religious garb, such as headscarfs, because it would be disrespectful of them?

Women abasing themselves before Islamic clerics is not 'good manners' but a betrayal of real feminist values. I was quite disgusted to see - last week - six of my female Swedish government ministers parading in headscarfs and long coats before a smirking Iranian imam. They should be ashamed of themselves.

And so should you Gimmisumtruth and Eric7216. Good for Marine le Pen standing up against Islamofascism.

odd. second time, I could have sworn I was replying to something else. I understand your point, but I support la penn or anyone who stands up to religious fascism.

She certainly didn't have to. And the Clerics too should be sensitive to the fact that their religious rules do not apply to those not of their religion. To wear the scarf would be nothing more than a gesture of goodwill. But both sides should be able to be a little more adult about it.

She certainly didn't have to wear a headscarf, and I won't fault her for not. Though it could have helped the cause of diplomacy a bit more if she did. Perhaps not though, we are dealing with religious fundamentalists and even if you show them a sign of goodwill, they may not engage more sympathetically in diplomacy for it. Regardless, she's free to do as she wants on that front.

Works both ways. I haven't noticed too many Muslims coming here and stopping at the airport bookstore to pick up a copy of the book "How to get along in the U.S.".

Back
Top Bottom