• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

France’s Marine Le Pen refused to wear a headscarf to meet with.. religious leaders

Re: France’s Marine Le Pen refused to wear a headscarf to meet with.. religious leade

They both had terms that weren't compatible and neither budged. End of story. If either of them want to stand on their principles is their decision to make and I'm not going to speak badly about something like that.

Re: France’s Marine Le Pen refused to wear a headscarf to meet with.. religious leade

So you would have supported black people being sent to the back of the bus as it was at the time the "cultural norm".
yer equating wearing a scarf in a religious meeting...with Southern Jim Crow. Absurd.

Do the muslims have to eat pork when they visit America?

Not equivalent. If her religion forbid her to wear a scarf, then it would be equivalent, but it doesn't, so it's not. It's actually no skin off her teeth to wear a scarf or not.

Diplomatic and tactful would have been for the muslims to meet the french woman half way.

Half a scarf? lol Or maybe the 4th Doctor's scarf?

Women abasing themselves before Islamic clerics is not 'good manners' but a betrayal of real feminist values. I was quite disgusted to see - last week - six of my female Swedish government ministers parading in headscarfs and long coats before a smirking Iranian imam. They should be ashamed of themselves.

And so should you Gimmisumtruth and Eric7216. Good for Marine le Pen standing up against Islamofascism.

Ok, can we stop sitting here all thinking that feminism is the only rights group in existence for women? The feminism movement doesn't own the damn principle of women not wearing headscarfs.

They both had terms that weren't compatible and neither budged. End of story. If either of them want to stand on their principles is their decision to make and I'm not going to speak badly about something like that.

Except that when liberals explain it to each other only the muslims were standing on principle whereas the french woman was just being stubborn

le pen is the fascist, she wants to end religious freedom. no, conservatives, akin to Catholics.

Because she is a rude fascist, like her father.le pen wants to restrict Islamic women from practicing their faith.because it is.

Tell me what it is that we Catholics demand from you when you visit us?

Why? Where did I specifically say headscarfs?

That's the topic of the thread. So you're saying you were just here to troll about completely unrelated partisan nonsense?

le pen is the fascist, she wants to end religious freedom. no, conservatives, akin to Catholics.

So if some islamo-fascist cleric demands you where a head scarf, and you say "NO", that makes you the fascist? Logic!

Because she is a rude fascist, like her father.le pen wants to restrict Islamic women from practicing their faith.because it is.

How?

Half a scarf? lol Or maybe the 4th Doctor's scarf?

I would say Le Penn would not tell muslim women not to wear a scarf and the muslim mullahs don't tell her she has to wear one

So you would be okay with having any visitors to our country remove their religious garb, such as headscarfs, because it would be disrespectful of them?
Whut? We, the US, are supposed to be tolerant, to allow beliefs to be practiced, yer suggesting we practice the stripping of religious practices.

yer equating wearing a scarf in a religious meeting...with Southern Jim Crow. Absurd.

being forced because of your race or gender to do something specific, yes, it's the very same thing.

Give it up to AL-washington post, siding with the mysoginisy Muslim leaders... Reading this article it's all about how it was a "stunt", and you can see the sneering this writer had for le penn.

Le Penn stands up for womans rights in the face of islamic-fascism, and the washington post cant be more upset about it.... ALoha snack bar!

[/FONT][/COLOR]

You're reading too much into it and playing the victim card like usual.

The article mentions that some are saying it was a publicity stunt because she knew ahead of time she'd be asked to wear it. Even if it was a stunt that doesn't say she was wrong for doing so. The article even mentions Michelle Obama and others not wearing head scarves when asked on other occasions.

You're reading into it what you want. You're just angry that the article doesn't outright express and support your point of view.

Except that when liberals explain it to each other only the muslims were standing on principle whereas the french woman was just being stubborn

The problem is that both ideologies in play here are rather stubborn. The woman won't adjust because feminist power and the Muslim dude won't budge because it will violate his faith. It should be expected that feminist female leaders will run into problems like this when it comes to Muslim leaders.

So if some islamo-fascist cleric demands you where a head scarf, and you say "NO", that makes you the fascist?
No, she has been a fascist for a long time, though not as long as her father.
Failure.

How...whut?

I dont suppose you are an American

But are you even from this planet?

Le Penn is french, bless her heart.
Oh, I am an American and I try to blend in with the local customs when I travel. Don't like the ugly American perception. And I think that other nationalities should do the same. When in Rome. And that logic applies to Muslims in the US.

You're reading too much into it and playing the victim card like usual.

That's a stupid sentence bro. :lol:

It doesn't even make any sense.

The article mentions that some are saying it was a publicity stunt because she knew ahead of time she'd be asked to wear it. Even if it was a stunt that doesn't say she was wrong for doing so. The article even mentions Michelle Obama and others not wearing head scarves when asked on other occasions.

You're reading into it what you want. You're just angry that the article doesn't outright express and support your point of view.

"She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted."

That WOMAN, how dare SHE go against teh wishes of the muslim man!!!!!!

It's right there bro. I don't get why the far left is more concerned with islamic-fascism's "rights", than womans rights. The former oppresses the latter. the latter does not oppress the former.

Ok, can we stop sitting here all thinking that feminism is the only rights group in existence for women? The feminism movement doesn't own the damn principle of women not wearing headscarfs.

Feminism is not a 'group' Henrin. It is a philosophical position, sometimes with an associated political programme. I have been a feminist these 60 years, in favour of equal opportunities for women. And against their oppression by Islam or any other so-called religion. It is a sad thing that feminism has been highjacked by screeching leftist harpies pushing idiotic doctrines. Time to reclaim the word from them.

being forced because of your race or gender to do something specific, yes, it's the very same thing.
Uh, no, religious practices....is not the same...as Jim Crow. It is a moronic argument, it is absurd.

Oh, I am an American and I try to blend in with the local customs when I travel. Don't like the ugly American perception. And I think that other nationalities should do the same. When in Rome. And that logic applies to Muslims in the US.

Le Penn is not a tourist being cheated by arab merchants in a bazaar

She is a representative of a major political party in france

Which is a favored destination for muslim refugees

Feminism is not a 'group' Henrin. It is a philosophical position, sometimes with an associated political programme. I have been a feminist these 60 years, in favour of equal opportunities for women. And against their oppression by Islam or any other so-called religion. It is a sad thing that feminism has been highjacked by screeching leftist harpies pushing idiotic doctrines. Time to reclaim the word from them.

You realize it was hijacked in the sixties, right? You would have to go back before that time to reclaim the word and I don't see that happening. Regardless, most women and men don't even see themselves as feminists as the movement is slowly dying off.

"She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted."

That WOMAN, how dare SHE go against teh wishes of the muslim man!!!!!!

It's right there bro. I don't get why the far left is more concerned with islamic-fascism's "rights", than womans rights. The former oppresses the latter. the latter does not oppress the former.

You realize that saying someone was warned yet persisted isn't saying what they did was wrong right? Like I said before, you're reading into it. All they are saying is that she knew what she was doing and had knowledge of what would happen yet continued likely to prove a point. Hell, I support her. I'm perfectly fine with what she did. I'm not concerned with Islamist's rights more than womans rights. I'm just pointing out that no where does this article say she did anything bad or evil. They are just reporting on what happenned and your pissy because they don't outright express everything the way you'd like.

I would say the exact same thing about Elizabeth Warren reading the letter in the senate. "she was warned and given an explanation, but she persisted" and I wouldn't mean it in some evil way. She wanted to prove a point and make a stand. She "persisted".

Women abasing themselves before Islamic clerics is not 'good manners' but a betrayal of real feminist values. I was quite disgusted to see - last week - six of my female Swedish government ministers parading in headscarfs and long coats before a smirking Iranian imam. They should be ashamed of themselves.

And so should you Gimmisumtruth and Eric7216. Good for Marine le Pen standing up against Islamofascism.
Actually I wrote my response to Gimmisumtruth somewhat sarcastically, believing that he/she very likely endorsed those servicewomen who demanded rights in Saudi Arabia. Hopefully he/she had something to think about, at least. And I think that there are different situations here. When a tourist is travelling overseas, in public, I believe that you should try to fit in and not ruffle feathers. For you own protection and for the good of international relations. If the US military is serving in another country under mutual agreement then they should try to fit in when in public. Michelle Obama and those Swedish ministers are a different matter. They were not with the public but inside a government building and should have the freedom to do what they want. The Queen did not mind the hug, apparently, and any government official, say in Iran, should understand that outside diplomats/government officials do not have to follow dress codes-that would be putting themselves in a submissive position.

Back
Top Bottom