• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Finally Someone is Challenging the Word "Redskins" [W:63]

re: Finally Someone is Challenging the Word "Redskins" [W:63]

How do the Washington Redskins diminish the Native Americans? Ever looked at their logo? Very stern and proud Native American.

In order to avoid offending ANYONE they should drop the "redskins" and be renamed the "Former Indigenous People of the Area Now Known as the United States." or the FIPANKUS for "short" LMMFAO. The Dallas Cowboys (is that "racist" against cows or boys? We should form a committee to study it) vs. the Washington FIPANKUS.

I saw this and had to shake my head/laugh.
The word "Midget" (referring to midget gherkin pickles) offended her..LMAO..this country is finished...
Too many "special interests", too many "protected classes" have infiltrated the government and twisted the laws so THEIR group is favored. I guess that's "diversity" for you. This country is finished.

Mom gets pickle co. to drop "midget" from jars - CBS News

Well, I'm Native American and I find it funny that most people still call us "Indians," as if they still don't realize India is where Indians come from.

But to list some slurs we don't like: Chief, Injun, Prairie Nigger, Savage, Tonto, Buffalo jockey...and I am sure local tribes-people are given all sorts of local slurs by non-natives near the reservations. We also get pissed off by logos that make us look stupid (like Chief Wahoo of the Cleveland Indians).

Redskins? Meh...w/e.

Honestly I'd wish people would stop acting like Native American's are some kind of borg hive mind.

I went to NNALEA's conference a few years back. Some native american's refer to themselves as indians, others don't but don't care, others are offended by it. I met a few there had issues with the name (and some that had issues with more than just the Redskins, such as the Chiefs), I met a few that were actually fans of the team, and I met most that didn't seem to care either way. During the various discussions at the conference about the trouble and challenges facing the native american populations in this country I was shocked to discover that "Football teams using native american terminology" wasn't on the list. The ridiculous amount of elder and child abuse, the significant legal issues between tribal lands and local laws, horrible unemployment numbers, etc...those were the problems they were focused on. But you'd be shocked to discover that since the only issue you ever hear talked about in any form of media in regards to helping native americans is "OMG! WE MUST CHANGE SPORT FRANCHISES NAMES!".

It's nothing but a nice activist cause for a vocal minority and a great big empty fuzzy wuzzy rainbows and lollipops feel good gesture by a bunch of overly guilt-ridden white men.

Honestly I'd wish people would stop acting like Native American's are some kind of borg hive mind.

I went to NNALEA's conference a few years back. Some native american's refer to themselves as indians, others don't but don't care, others are offended by it. I met a few there had issues with the name (and some that had issues with more than just the Redskins, such as the Chiefs), I met a few that were actually fans of the team, and I met most that didn't seem to care either way. During the various discussions at the conference about the trouble and challenges facing the native american populations in this country I was shocked to discover that "Football teams using native american terminology" wasn't on the list. The ridiculous amount of elder and child abuse, the significant legal issues between tribal lands and local laws, horrible unemployment numbers, etc...those were the problems they were focused on. But you'd be shocked to discover that since the only issue you ever hear talked about in any form of media in regards to helping native americans is "OMG! WE MUST CHANGE SPORT FRANCHISES NAMES!".

It's nothing but a nice activist cause for a vocal minority and a great big empty fuzzy wuzzy rainbows and lollipops feel good gesture by a bunch of overly guilt-ridden white men.

Sorry, I'm confused as to why this was directed at me. Did I miss something?

Most of us really don't care about the labels others use. 95% of tribal names are some variation of "People" and the rest are based on something important to that tribes history.

Last edited:

Sorry, I'm confused as to why this was directed at me. Did I miss something?

Nope, I was kind of biggy backing off your post. You're a great example of why I say it's always funny that people seem to think of native americans as some kind of hive mind.

You seem to indicate that you find it more "Funny" (as in odd, stupid, etc I take it through your context) when people refer to native americans as indians. I've known other native americans to be very offended by it, while also knowing others who readily self identify as "indian". The same kind of goes in terms of your stance and statement regarding names, logos, etc.

Native American's are a rather varied group with a wide range of opinions and views on different things, but so often people want to take whatever the loudest shouts are and apply that to the entire group because it suits their purposes.

**** Washington football team, let's call them the Washington Racists.

**** Washington football team, let's call them the Washington Racists.

Hail to the Redskins!!!!

But to add to general topic..

The Washington Bullets name change was due to gun violence in D.C. during the 1980s and 1990s. The final straw for the owner was the assassination of a close personal friend Yitzhak Rabin. But the name chosen was the Wizards which is kinda funny consider it's a rank in the KKK. :lol:

Anyone recall the Atlanta Braves crowd with their tomahawk hand motion being considered an insult so they had to rotate their hand position to palm down when Hanoi Jane and hubby Ted Turner obliged? Why? "Redskins" is a racial slur, that's why.

I guess Minnesota Vikings is "racist" and "exclusionary" because there were no black vikings. The name must be abolished! :roll:

Redskin (slang)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"Redskin" is a racial descriptor for Native Americans, the origins of which are disputed. Although by some accounts not originally having negative intent,[1] the term is now defined by dictionaries of American English as "usually offensive",[2] "disparaging",[3][4] "insulting",[5] "taboo" [6] and is avoided in public usage with the exception of its continued use as a name for sports teams.
The term derives from the use of "red" as a color metaphor for race following European colonization of the Western Hemisphere, although initial explorers and later Anglo-Americans termed Native Americans light-skinned, brown, tawny, or russet. According to historian Alden T. Vaughan, "Not until the middle of the eighteenth century did most Anglo-Americans view Indians as significantly different in color from themselves, and not until the nineteenth century did red become the universally accepted color label for American Indians."[7] Slang identifiers for ethnic groups based upon physical characteristics, including skin color, are almost universally slurs, or derogatory, emphasizing the difference between the speaker and the target.[8]

Well, I'm Native American and I find it funny that most people still call us "Indians," as if they still don't realize India is where Indians come from.

But to list some slurs we don't like: Chief, Injun, Prairie Nigger, Savage, Tonto, Buffalo jockey...and I am sure local tribes-people are given all sorts of local slurs by non-natives near the reservations. We also get pissed off by logos that make us look stupid (like Chief Wahoo of the Cleveland Indians).

Redskins? Meh...w/e.

How does Chief Wahoo make you look stupid?

Redskin (slang)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"Redskin" is a racial descriptor for Native Americans, the origins of which are disputed. Although by some accounts not originally having negative intent,[1] the term is now defined by dictionaries of American English as "usually offensive",[2] "disparaging",[3][4] "insulting",[5] "taboo" [6] and is avoided in public usage with the exception of its continued use as a name for sports teams.
The term derives from the use of "red" as a color metaphor for race following European colonization of the Western Hemisphere, although initial explorers and later Anglo-Americans termed Native Americans light-skinned, brown, tawny, or russet. According to historian Alden T. Vaughan, "Not until the middle of the eighteenth century did most Anglo-Americans view Indians as significantly different in color from themselves, and not until the nineteenth century did red become the universally accepted color label for American Indians."[7] Slang identifiers for ethnic groups based upon physical characteristics, including skin color, are almost universally slurs, or derogatory, emphasizing the difference between the speaker and the target.[8]

Thank you for Wikipedia's opinion on it. It's interesting you're now falling back on just quoting wiki without any further input rather than addressing legitimate sourced points being stated in this thread. Could it be because you have no leg to stand on?

Please, continue to tell those Native Americans that you know better as to what they should find offensive and what they should desire in terms of sports teams names. You the white man CLEARLY knows better than them.

Is Native Americans even accurate? They were here before Amerigo Vesupucci claimed to discover the continent. Didnt the tribes have their own name for the land? Or themselves?

Why do people always presume that only native Americans get offended by this word?

Why do people always presume that only native Americans get offended by this word?

I don't presume only native americans get offended by the word.

However, I do presume that there's a far greater legitimate reason to feel the team needs to change it's name if the "offended party" is the one actually being offended rather than simply because some random folks find it "offensive".

While I may disagree with the argument because I think it's factually wrong, stating that "Native Americans" as some overarching group find the team using that as it's name offensive is at least a reasonable argument that I can understand and would be mildly swayed to.

The argument that a bunch of folks are "offended" by a word being used for a sports team, especially when the overwhelming majority of those who the word supposedly targets don't have an issue with it, is one I'd laugh at with a great deal of mirth.

But no, I asbsolutely think a bunch of guilt ridden white people who think they know better than those poor ignorant downtrodden native americans would find offense to the word. I don't presume that's not the case at all. The collective ego of people knowing what's "best" for others is never one to surprise me.

I guess Minnesota Vikings is "racist" and "exclusionary" because there were no black vikings. The name must be abolished! :roll:

"Reverse racism" is for sociological retards.

I don't presume only native americans get offended by the word.

However, I do presume that there's a far greater legitimate reason to feel the team needs to change it's name if the "offended party" is the one actually being offended rather than simply because some random folks find it "offensive".

While I may disagree with the argument because I think it's factually wrong, stating that "Native Americans" as some overarching group find the team using that as it's name offensive is at least a reasonable argument that I can understand and would be mildly swayed to.

The argument that a bunch of folks are "offended" by a word being used for a sports team, especially when the overwhelming majority of those who the word supposedly targets don't have an issue with it, is one I'd laugh at with a great deal of mirth.

But no, I asbsolutely think a bunch of guilt ridden white people who think they know better than those poor ignorant downtrodden native americans would find offense to the word. I don't presume that's not the case at all. The collective ego of people knowing what's "best" for others is never one to surprise me.

I'm not offended by the word I just find it unnecessary. Despite the fact its a harmless word today is it really a legacy you want to hang onto?

These racist, exclusionary, segregationist, bigoted, biased and inequitable names offend a lot of people.

Should they be forced to change?

Black Legislative Caucus
Black Student's Union
Black Miss America
Black Entertainment Network
Black Policemens Association
Black Liberation and Afrikan Kulcha Empire
Black Male Community Empowerment Forum
Black Millionaires Mentoring Program
Black Voices for Peace
Black Women for Obama
Black Youth Creative Combating Oppression
Blackonomics
American Association of Black in Energy
Associated Black Charities
Association of Black Admission and Financial Aid Officers of the Ivy League and Sister Schools (ABAFAOILSS)
Association of Black American Ambassadors (ABAA)
Association of Black Foundation Executives (ABFE)
Association of Black Sociologist (ABS)
Association of Black Women in Higher Education
Black Agency Executives (BAE)
Black Awareness in Television (BAIT)
Black Caucus of the American Library Association
Black Filmmakers Foundation
Black Psychiatrists of America
Black Retail Action Group, Inc.
Black Women in Publishing
Black Women's Network
Blacks in Government
Coalition of Black Trade Unionists
National Alliance of Black School Educators
National Association of Black Accountants, Inc.
National Association of Black County Officials
National Association of Black Journalists
National Association of Black Social Workers, Inc.
National Association of Black-Owned Broadcasters
National Association of Blacks in Criminal Justice
National Black Caucus of Local Elected Officials
National Black Caucus of State Legislators
National Black Chambers of Commerce
National Black Child Development Institute
National Black Media Coalition
National Black Nurses Association, Inc.
National Black Police Association, Inc.
National Black Public Relations Society of America
National Black United Fund
National Conference of Black Mayors, Inc.
National Forum for Black Public Administrator

It's not something they're going to publicize or write about... except when they publicize and write about it. Lol

Is "Redskins" really a racial slur? Native Americans don't think so, so I'm not sure why others do?

What we have here are a bunch of potato-haters. :lol:

I'm not offended by the word I just find it unnecessary. Despite the fact its a harmless word today is it really a legacy you want to hang onto?

What effect does it have on you?

What we have here are a bunch of potato-haters. :lol:

I think you just came up with the solution here, change their mascot to Mr. Potatohead

"Reverse racism" is for sociological retards.

Unrelated, meaningless diversionary excuse to make a weak, veiled insult.

..or..let's try this;

You quote my post. Are you calling me a retard?

What effect does it have on you?

I'm a football fan and I don't see why I have to be reminded of genocide when I watch a game. Don't forget its names like the redskins which vilified the native Americans and made it acceptable to hate them and eventually hunt them.

Like I said if the redskins keep their name it won't really bother me it would just confuse me to why people would want that legacy to live on.

I'm a football fan and I don't see why I have to be reminded of genocide when I watch a game. Don't forget its names like the redskins which vilified the native Americans and made it acceptable to hate them and eventually hunt them.

Like I said if the redskins keep their name it won't really bother me it would just confuse me to why people would want that legacy to live on.

Stop watching.

Stop watching.

Grow up child and actually read my post. I'm not offended by the word, I wont march over it or sign any petition I just find it odd that people want to be reminded of that period of History. It would be like calling your team the Dachau Gasworkers.

Last edited:

Unrelated, meaningless diversionary excuse to make a weak, veiled insult.

..or..let's try this;

You quote my post. Are you calling me a retard?

I'm saying that any belief in "reverse racism" or even equating racism with blacks hating whites or the denigration of whites is sociologically retarded.

I'm quite sure you've no idea where my argument is coming from. As you haven't a glimpse of my position and yours is common trash, I'm not gonna debate it with you - it would be a waste of my time.

Back
Top Bottom