• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Final GDP reading shows US economy shrank 0.6% in the spring, cementing start of recession

You do understand that the current recession and accompanying inflation are the consequences of global events over which Biden has no control? No, I doubt you would even consider it when there's a golden opportunity for you to blame Biden for everything that's wrong in your life.

When you consider how the world took a one two punch due to the pandemic, the world's economy was on its knees.

The US economy has recovered quicker from the Covid recession than most thought. Inflation is falling, always the toughest number to shrink.

It may be a technical recession, but I’ll take that all day long with a half century low in unemployment and steadily rising wages.

Unemployment is low largely because the workforce has shrank dramatically, participation is still in the toilet, so it is no wonder that unemployment looks good. Wages are nominally rising, but in real terms they are falling pretty hard.

The US economy has recovered quicker from the Covid recession than most thought. Inflation is falling, always the toughest number to shrink.

Inflation more stabilized than started to fall. That's the Biden comment from 60 minutes when he claimed that it only ticking up .1% last month was a good sign, even the host was shocked at that statement.

Unemployment is low largely because the workforce has shrank dramatically, participation is still in the toilet, so it is no wonder that unemployment looks good. Wages are nominally rising, but in real terms they are falling pretty hard.

Inflation more stabilized than started to fall. That's the Biden comment from 60 minutes when he claimed that it only ticking up .1% last month was a good sign, even the host was shocked at that statement.
Where is the dramatic shrinking workforce outside of the confines in your head?

74B2AC54-0571-48CB-8A6C-29DF7BE05FEA.png

C2D0E865-646F-464D-A4C8-66FCD26F833B.png

Where is the dramatic shrinking workforce outside of the confines in your head?

View attachment 67415735
View attachment 67415736

I do love how dishonest you are with your chart representation. You ignore the where it was pre-COVID. More than a full point higher than it is now. Moreover, one of the primary drivers for labor force participation starting to increase was inflation pressures, which you can see last fall when it was just "transitory". How about you expand that chart to Jan of 2020.

I do love how dishonest you are with your chart representation. You ignore the where it was pre-COVID. More than a full point higher than it is now. Moreover, one of the primary drivers for labor force participation starting to increase was inflation pressures, which you can see last fall when it was just "transitory". How about you expand that chart to Jan of 2020.
I went back two years. As the chart above shows, the total employees are basically at Jan 2020 levels, labor force is lower, but recovered somewhat (its going lower long term no matter what we do - unless we increase immigration like we should) so I’m not quite certain WTF you mean by participation ‘in the toilet’ and that the ‘workforce has shrunk dramatically’.

But you do you.

You ignore the where it was pre-COVID. More than a full point higher than it is now.
That's your definition of a toilet... 1% lower than prior to the pandemic.
Moreover, one of the primary drivers for labor force participation starting to increase was inflation pressures, which you can see last fall when it was just "transitory". How about you expand that chart to Jan of 2020.
I'll go even further:

fredgraph.png

We are at participation levels from September 2015, and it took over 4 years to get a full percentage point higher to 63.4. If anything, participation levels are very strong outside of older demographics (55 & 65)+

fredgraph.png

Prime age workers are 0.2% below pre-pandemic levels. Your narrative sucks because it's driven entirely by tribalism nonsense.

You do understand that the current recession and accompanying inflation are the consequences of global events over which Biden has no control? No, I doubt you would even consider it when there's a golden opportunity for you to blame Biden for everything that's wrong in your life.

Of course I do because I believe the 23 trillion dollar US economy is dependent and affected greatly on the global economy, has nothing whatsoever to do with massive US gov't spending of taxpayer dollars in a recovering economy with historic low unemployment and high inflation. So yes I am economically challenged like most liberals in this forum always looking for someone else to blame for my own personal problems.
So, if you understand that, why post with such negativity directing your scourge at Pres. Biden and the Biden Administration? Moreover, the FoxNews article makes it clear that despite GDP being at 1.6% at the end of the 2QCY2022/3QFY2022 with "back-to-back declines in growth" two consecutive quarters which "technically meets the technical criteria for a recession", it's too early to really make that call since other economic indicators, such as consumer spending and low unemployment, remain relatively high.

Seems to me somebody was itching to get back on the liberal bashing as soon as he returned from vacation and jumped on the first negative storyline he found concerning the current Administration instead of waiting until more concrete data became available.

Had a great vacation so thanks for asking. Had plenty of time to think after finding out that posting data wasn't going to change any minds therefore the new improved me will bypass the data as it ticks off too many people here with an agenda and will focus solely on replying to opinions with those of my own although this OP does destroy the liberal narrative about the Biden economic policies and results. Liberal economics and liberal opinions have created a cult like mentality as it doesn't matter what the results are it is the D that matters. We all know that those working for the current Administration, in need of massive taxpayer support, those not paying any FIT yet benefiting from taxpayer funded programs are going to vote for the D regardless of policies. The old adage that you "don't bite the hand that feeds you" has proven to be effective and successful election strategy thus buying votes normally creates successful election results. We will see if this holds true at the Midterms in light of the US now in a recession.
Lol can’t even make one post without whining about how spamming the same garbage over and over isn’t compelling.

Wtf are you babbling about? Explain how Ukraine is under anyone's control, aside from Ukraine and, to an extent, Russia. I'll wait-and I also suggest you quit the 'I know better than you' arrogance.
You raised the issue of Ukraine as being partially responsible for the recession, Ukraine was in 2022 not 2021 when the problems with our economy started

Those last checks happened just as the economy was about to improve. But it was not at all clear that was going to happen at the time. With the benefit of hindsight, you could make a case that it may have been unnecessary. But it could also have been possible that the checks didn't go out and people would have been left literally without food or a roof over their head. So at the time it was a pretty reasonable call. But now that the U.S. has record high inflation, some argue the stimulus money could have fueled those issues. Maybe they played a role. Even so, it was at best only a minor contributor. There are MUCH bigger reasons we have those things.

But I know all this is not interesting to you, because your main purpose in all this is to just undermine the current administration and bring back the folks who want to nuke hurricanes and stick bleach up our behinds. Just don't expect the rest of us to believe you are being sincere or are actually interested in understanding the nuances of the US economy. Your main interest is to propogate bitterness, division, and dysfunction. So go ahead and have fun.
The last checks were in March 2021, 17 million jobs returning between April and January and the economy was recovering, the checks were unnecessary and most people recognize that but those cult followers never will. I don't have to do a thing to undermine the current administration as their policies are doing that. Amazing how all this time you cannot post a Biden success. I don't create division as that is left to the left as that is the only way they win elections

When it comes to Washington there are only two mentalities, the spends and the spends more.

Central economic planning is a delicate balancing act. the Fed is using all the tools we have given it to bring us in for a soft landing, but Federal spending has been out of control for sometime and it really didn't tie itself to one party.

I'd say we are doing OK all things considered, as far as coming in for a soft landing, but that didn't have anything to do with who was in the Whitehouse or Congress, it has to do with who is in charge at the Fed and how it is able to remain true to the economics of the situation without too much undue political pressure.

I don't favor central economic planning, nor the Fed, nor the spends and the spend mores, but it is the system we have without regards to how I feel about it. We grew way too far way too fast, there was no naturally limiting factor as there would have been with a gold standard or a balanced budget amendment.

So now we are kind of stuck with debt based monies with 8 billion global people to feed, and as much as I would like for that situation to have never come to have been, it is what it is, our trap. We can't go back to sound money and sound spending and debt without a complete collapse of our economic and social systems.

Sadly that would bring about starvation for billions of people, so I'm not wishing that on the world.

When we consider that, a 0.6% drop in GDP is nothing, and all things considered it is good news.
Tell that to the American people on fixed income and seniors!

"Conservatives" are salivating over the idea of a recession. It's amazing how much people don't care about others so much to own the other political side.
No, Conservative is pointing out again the failure of liberal economic policies and the reality that in order to get votes they have to be bought by the left with taxpayer funded benefits

You raised the issue of Ukraine as being partially responsible for the recession, Ukraine was in 2022 not 2021 when the problems with our economy started
And naturally you conveniently avoid mention of the global effects of Covid, the consequences of which are adding to fuelling our recession

So, if you understand that, why post with such negativity directing your scourge at Pres. Biden and the Biden Administration? Moreover, the FoxNews article makes it clear that despite GDP being at 1.6% at the end of the 2QCY2022/3QFY2022 with "back-to-back declines in growth" two consecutive quarters which "technically meets the technical criteria for a recession", it's too early to really make that call since other economic indicators, such as consumer spending and low unemployment, remain relatively high.

Seems to me somebody was itching to get back on the liberal bashing as soon as he returned from vacation and jumped on the first negative storyline he found concerning the current Administration instead of waiting until more concrete data became available.
Why can't I find a Biden supporter posting official verifiable data and positive results? Itching to get back to liberal bashing? Liberals don't debate they troll, liberals only support opinions and rhetoric never talking about policies and results. More concrete data? Why don't you post some supporting liberal economics?

And naturally you conveniently avoid mention the global effects of Covid, the consequences of which are adding to fuelling our recession
And you conveniently ignored the returning jobs, recovering economy and believe what the left tells you. I gave you specifics about the US economy and the major component, you still don't get it and probably never will. Why don't you explain your loyalty as a European and passion for Biden?

And naturally you conveniently avoid mention the global effects of Covid, the consequences of which are adding to fuelling our recession
I think what will be interesting is the push back from other economists on the Fed's aggressive policy that focuses on inflation reduction with the clear possibility of there being consequences that affect employment and the possibility of recession. Whether or not the push back is enough to change the direction of the Fed and other central banks remains to be seen.

The last checks were in March 2021, 17 million jobs returning between April and January and the economy was recovering, the checks were unnecessary and most people recognize that but those cult followers never will.

Gaslighting. Most economists were not clear what was happening at the time.

I don't have to do a thing to undermine the current administration as their policies are doing that. Amazing how all this time you cannot post a Biden success. I don't create division as that is left to the left as that is the only way they win elections
I can’t post a Biden success? Did you even ask? Ask and ye shall receive.

And you conveniently ignored the returning jobs, recovering economy and believe what the left tells you. I gave you specifics about the US economy and the major component, you still don't get it and probably never will. Why don't you explain your loyalty as a European and passion for Biden?
You are in recession, inflation is rampant. It has ZERO to do with Biden, no matter how much you wish it did.

Most economists aren't on fixed income, most economists aren't affected by the Biden inflation, most economists don't represent the views of the American people. the polls are quite clear, the results are quite clear, the only problem appears to be supporters of Biden who are economics and civics challenged

You are in recession, inflation is rampant. It has ZERO to do with Biden, no matter how much you wish it did.
According to you but then again someone who lives in a country whose GDP is 50% gov't spending has no clue as to what happens in this country with high inflation and interest rate hikes on an economy that is 2/3 consumer spending

You can start here with the Biden successes that aren't being felt by the American people. Your loyalty seems to be to the D regardless of what the D does or represents today

There was an analysis conducted by the San Francisco Fed which assessed the risk of inflation was there, but the risk of recession was an even bigger concern due to the difficulty in managing a recession. Of note, is that both the former and current presidents were pushing for the last stimulus package.

When you consider how the world took a one two punch due to the pandemic, the world's economy was on its knees.

That is because the US economy isn't built on gov't spending but rather consumer spending plus the fact that Red states reopened faster than blue states. The problem however continues to be massive gov't spending in 2021 into a returning job market and recovering economy fueling inflation which is now causing interest rate increases that affect consumer spending and consumer pocketbooks. 2/3 of the US economy is consumer spending and Americans suffer more with high inflation that the world

That is because the US economy isn't built on gov't spending but rather consumer spending plus the fact that Red states reopened faster than blue states. The problem however continues to be massive gov't spending in 2021 into a returning job market and recovering economy fueling inflation which is now causing interest rate increases that affect consumer spending and consumer pocketbooks. 2/3 of the US economy is consumer spending and Americans suffer more with high inflation that the world
Our newly un-elected conservative 'government' has decided that taxing and spending its way out of recession, and by borrowing $45 billion is a great idea, which the Labour ('liberal') Party is strongly critical of. What were you saying about liberal economic policy?

Back
Top Bottom