• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Final GDP reading shows US economy shrank 0.6% in the spring, cementing start of recession

Probably overstating things by saying we are doomed. A key thing saving us is that the rest of the developed world is in worse shape. Notice that the dollar is very strong against the Euro, Gilt and Yen.

Fair enough. The only reason we are performing is because of the remarkable advantages the US has in terms of geography and resources more than anything else. Moreover, all of Europe is a bag of coddled ******s too.

A great example is SS. Everyone knows it has a glaring problem that is growing by the day. However no one has the balls to address it. The politicians are scared to tell the public the truth, even though it is well known, because they know the public will act like spoiled children and throw a tantrum when they get told that SS isn't properly funded and they are going to see their gravy train get reduced. So instead the can gets kicked down the road where the problem is far larger.

Well that wouldn;t mean anything by itself because one would need to know the reason for said recession. Different reasons for a recession would dictate the length of time to get out of recession.
If that is the case, then it would be almost impossible to say that one party or group handles recessions better or worse than any other, as recessions are so unique and different and thus take different amounts of time from factors beyond the control of a given government.

I'm not sure that's an argument that I would make, but I suppose one could say such a thing.

Every poll shows that the majority of the people have no confidence in Biden, thus Democrats rubber-stamping the Biden agenda are in trouble.

Americans are fed up with not being able to afford their heating bills and having to pay it on a credit card, where interest rates have ballooned.

Americans are getting 30-40 year car loans. Absolutely insane.
And in less than two years biden is responsible for everything bad in your opinion? No market forces, covid had zero effect on anything and corporate america isn't gouging us, it's just all biden's fault. Absolutely insane.

If that is the case, then it would be almost impossible to say that one party or group handles recessions better or worse than any other, as recessions are so unique and different and thus take different amounts of time from factors beyond the control of a given government.

I'm not sure that's an argument that I would make, but I suppose one could say such a thing.
No it would not be impossible. You would just have to compare apples to apples. Recessions are not that unique that you cannot model the effectiveness of various solutions for various issues causing said recession.

No it would not be impossible. You would just have to compare apples to apples. Recessions are not that unique that you cannot model the effectiveness of various solutions for various issues causing said recession.
On then, looking back at the past few recessions, we can see which national leadership handles recessions better. (as judged by recovery time.) That would be an interesting analysis should only take a few moments to do.

On then, looking back at the past few recessions, we can see which national leadership handles recessions better. (as judged by recovery time.) That would be an interesting analysis should only take a few moments to do.
Um no. It would take extensive analysis to do. As I already pointed out.

Um no. It would take extensive analysis to do. As I already pointed out.
Not really, if, as you claimed, recessions fall into categories that are similar enough to compare, then it would be super easy.

Not really, if, as you claimed, recessions fall into categories that are similar enough to compare, then it would be super easy.
No it wouldn't. I didn;t say that recessions "fall into categories". Lets say that you had the fed increasing interest rates as a factor in a recession like what happened in the eighties.
You could not simply compare that to say the fed increasing interest rates now (and examine the likely recession).
That would make no sense.

Instead.. you would have to model the depth and breadth of the interest rate hikes while controlling for other factors (like injections of money from spending etc) to compare apples to apples when comparing the recovery.

Back
Top Bottom