• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

FBI head suggests agency paid more than $1M to access iPhone

Maybe not wasted if they also got to know how it was done. Then, well they paid a million for a very useful crime fighting tool.

Except that Apple is currently working on a new improved model, that they say cannot be hacked.... period!

Except that Apple is currently working on a new improved model, that they say cannot be hacked.... period!

That will last about two hours after the first one is released to the public before it's been hacked. The only machine that cannot be hacked remotely is the one not connected, ever. ALL machines can be hacked if you have possession.

How was it wasted, they got in and some hacker did it for them, probably an ex-apple software engineer or a wiz kid.
Are you saying that you want the Government to have access to your and everyone else's I-phones? If so that does not sound very Conservative.

Wasted because they got virtually nothing off of it!
NO! I am not saying I want the government nosing into any of my business! But our taxpayer dollars paid for that fiasco.

Unless it becomes known and then the phones will not be worth the plastic it took to make it. People seem to forget that the majority of Americans do not want the government to simply be able to hack their phone any time They feel it is in Their best interests.

That's the reason I have a burner phone for emergencies only.....and will never have a cell phone plan.

Unlike so many these days....I can live w/o a cell phone! Not to mention the fact that they cause so many pedestrian and vehicular accidents.
Some guy walked off a cliff at the Pacific Ocean and fell to his death last year, while talking on a cell phone and not watching where he was going.

Darwin is waiting for all these idiots and Murphy is there to help.

Last edited:
Actually that sounds very conservative. When we get down to it and look at the real conservative agenda more times than not they are much more in favor of 'Big Brother' looking in our phones, keeping tabs of what goes on in our bedrooms, and the overreach of police power and police state tactics than libs are.

But again, that's just me.

Sounds like a Peter Pan fantasy story to me...

I think what they really wanted was a method to remotely hack into people's iphones. After all, the FBI were demanding that APPLE provide remote access programs even though the FBI already had the physical phone. It was a shady request that implies there true intentions.

Our government is more concerned about spying on American citizens than stopping terrorists.

Correct!!! You get it!

And they have been spying on us since FDR and tapping our phones illegally since the 60s.

I know you feel comfortable and safe with that illusion. But there's a reason why security is constantly evolving, changing - because the current generation has been hacked. If you knew security you'd also know we prevent the script kiddies, but the serious hackers we mitigate. They happen, with regularity.

Don't count on the government being toothless in this arena. The FBI cannot afford the talent required, however, the NSA and DOD can, and do. What really holds the government back is the law. Believe it or not they do follow the law (in the vast majority of cases). Btw, the NSA and DOD don't generally share their resources and capability in this regard with the FBI. I'm sure you can think of the very good reasons (outside of conspiracy theory) why this is so.

You are spot on and I know this to be very true indeed. :applaud

the only smartphone that can't be hacked is the one that's never powered up.

If you say so. I will never own one, so that foils the buggers right there.

That will last about two hours after the first one is released to the public before it's been hacked. The only machine that cannot be hacked remotely is the one not connected, ever. ALL machines can be hacked if you have possession.

That part is way beyond my expertise and the very reason I don't use one.

Correct!!! You get it!

And they have been spying on us since FDR and tapping our phones illegally since the 60s.

Oh yeah, in fact it was one of the reasons the public was so onboard with the breakup of AT&T back then.

Maybe not wasted if they also got to know how it was done. Then, well they paid a million for a very useful crime fighting tool.

Ive heard through other reporting that they did. So they will be able get it done in the future.
There is a question now as to whether they will share this with Apple. which I doubt they will.

Ive heard through other reporting that they did. So they will be able get it done in the future.
There is a question now as to whether they will share this with Apple. which I doubt they will.

If they're smart they won't. It would blunt the tool they just paid big bucks for.

Donald Trump: Apple ‘100 Percent Wrong,’ Should Aid FBI’s Investigation

......GOP frontrunner Donald Trump says Apple is “100 percent wrong” for not providing the FBI access to the San Bernardino terrorist’s iPhone.

“We have to find out what’s on those phones,” the real estate mogul said during an interview on Breitbart News Daily with host Stephen K. Bannon. “They should break into the phone.”......

Donald Trump: Apple '100 Percent Wrong,' Should Aid FBI's Investigation - Breitbart

7803578effe39982.gif

And I heard that Apple is designing an entire knew encryption, that will be unhackable.

you're disgusting.

welcome to my ignore list.

Sorry you Can't Handle the Truth. World Peace is a Fairy Tale!

And I heard that Apple is designing an entire knew encryption, that will be unhackable.

Sorry you Can't Handle the Truth. World Peace is a Fairy Tale!

I wouldn't doubt they are designing a new one. Nothing is unhackable though given the time and resources.

I wouldn't doubt they are designing a new one. Nothing is unhackable though given the time and resources.

Beyond my pay grade....I'm just repeating what the CEO said on the news last week.

Wasted because they got virtually nothing off of it!
NO! I am not saying I want the government nosing into any of my business! But our taxpayer dollars paid for that fiasco.

That's the reason I have a burner phone for emergencies only.....and will never have a cell phone plan.

Unlike so many these days....I can live w/o a cell phone! Not to mention the fact that they cause so many pedestrian and vehicular accidents.
Some guy walked off a cliff at the Pacific Ocean and fell to his death last year, while talking on a cell phone and not watching where he was going.

Darwin is waiting for all these idiots and Murphy is there to help.

Darn It! I knew this day would eventually come. I agree with you.

Yeah, and you'd be better if you didn't get all your info from Fox. But I doubt you, or Fox care about the true facts on anything. I know you don't.

Anyway the $700 bil this article mentions is only counting military equipment and 'related activities' Those activities do NOT include everything, not even close. Count interest, nation building, $500 billion just to vet benefits and costs, etc.. As of 2013 the 2 wars cost is about $4 tril. Iraq over $2 tril alone.

Iraq war costs U.S. more than $2 trillion: study | Reuters

Yeah, and you'd be better if you didn't get all your info from Fox. But I doubt you, or Fox care about the true facts on anything. I know you don't.

Anyway the $700 bil this article mentions is only counting military equipment and 'related activities' Those activities do NOT include everything, not even close. Count interest, nation building, $500 billion just to vet benefits and costs, etc.. As of 2013 the 2 wars cost is about $4 tril. Iraq over $2 tril alone.

Iraq war costs U.S. more than $2 trillion: study | Reuters

Not from Fox, from the CBO.

Thats where Fox got its numbers from. Did you not read thw article ?

Not from Fox, from the CBO.

Thats where Fox got its numbers from. Did you not read thw article ?

Funny you ask me is I read the article, but obviously YOU did not. Because right in the article is says the $700 bil price tag was JUST for military equipment and 'related expenses'. The $700 bil does NOT include interest, $500 bil for vet costs and benefits, nation building, etc.

That's a big problem nowadays. People are too lazy to do their own homework. You read a Fox article that just quotes ONE part of a CBO report, and you take it as Gospel. You don't want to, or are too lazy to look at other sources that point out other costs of a war. They point out the TOTAL cost of the wars.

If you think that 13+ years of that mess over there has only costs $700 bil I got a bridge in Brooklyn for sale. Cheap, real cheap. I'll sell it to you for a lot less than $700 bil. lol

Back
Top Bottom