• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Emails Show White House Lied About Targeting Fox News

cpwill

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
mind you, this is sort of like Obama's "evolving" views on homosexual marriage - everyone knew the administrations official position was full of crap.

Newly released emails show the Obama administration communication team privately discussed whether to exclude Fox News from interviews in late 2009, despite claims at the time that the White House did not intend to snub the cable news channel....

"The Obama administration seems to have lied about its attempt to exclude Fox News Channel from access to an interview with the 'pay czar,'" Judicial Watch President Tom Fitton said in a statement....

The emails cover dozens of conversations in late 2009. But in one email dated Oct. 22, 2009, White House media official Dag Vega wrote to Treasury spokeswoman Jenni LeCompte saying, "we'd prefer if you skip Fox please."

The guidance was in reference to a discussion about whether to make economic officials available. It's unclear whether they were referring at all to Feinberg -- who was, after a back-and-forth, offered up to Fox News for an interview later in the afternoon.

But administration aides showed frustration as they later saw media reports claiming Treasury tried to exclude Fox News at first. That frustration ended up being directed at Fox News itself.

"brett baier just did a stupid piece on it---but he is a lunatic," White House spokeswoman Jennifer Psaki wrote in an email that evening, referencing "Special Report" host Bret Baier.

The next morning, as other media coverage of the run-in popped up, Psaki wrote: "I am putting some dead fish in the fox cubby -- just cause."...

You do understand that the Liberal response will be that this is ok. That this White House has every right to exclude Fox News because they are not pro Obama.

Now that the Kenneth Gladney case has been shove down the throat of the right, it needs a new cause celebre. if this is it, they are really clinging to precious little that means nothing in the end.

It is very amusing watching the far right flail around trying to find an issue that they can call a scandal and pin it on President Obama and the Democrats. If only they could find the Obama Watergate then they could really make political hay. If they only could find the Obama Iran Contra then they could score big points going into 2012.

Keep looking because this ain't it.

even KSU recognizes you got nothing with his post

You do understand that the Liberal response will be that this is ok.

setting the stage for an attack when the other side tells you have nothing because you know you have nothing does not negate that you have nothing.

Last edited:
yep
they discussed it

but it appears they relented and provided the interviews to faux news
unfortunately

so, is there any purpose to this thread other than to take the focus off of the wrongdoing by the faux news owner and the faux station's international counterparts?

Now that the Kenneth Gladney case has been shove down the throat of the right, it needs a new cause celebre. if this is it, they are really clinging to precious little that means nothing in the end.

It is very amusing watching the far right flail around trying to find an issue that they can call a scandal and pin it on President Obama and the Democrats. If only they could find the Obama Watergate then they could really make political hay. If they only could find the Obama Iran Contra then they could score big points going into 2012.

Keep looking because this ain't it.

even KSU recognizes you got nothing with his post

setting the stage for an attack when the other side tells you have nothing because you know you have nothing does not negate that you have nothing.

Don't take my quotes out of context. If you can't see the sarcasm in that it is no wonder you are a liberal.

I was predicting the stupidity of the left's response and your post proved me correct. So I guess I should thank you?

Come on.

If there is someone criticizing your every move and word, you are going to "target" them in order to preserve your integrity. Of course the White House lied about it the same way Fox News previously lied that it is a news organization born out of the need to counter liberal media and appeal to Americans in the Heartland and across the Bible Belt.

Lies and government are not strangers. This would rank about 59 on a scale of 1 - 20.

Come on.

If there is someone criticizing your every move and word, you are going to "target" them in order to preserve your integrity. Of course the White House lied about it the same way Fox News previously lied that it is a news organization born out of the need to counter liberal media and appeal to Americans in the Heartland and across the Bible Belt.

Lies and government are not strangers. This would rank about 59 on a scale of 1 - 20.

What the hell are you talking about?

Don't take my quotes out of context. If you can't see the sarcasm in that it is no wonder you are a liberal.

I was predicting the stupidity of the left's response and your post proved me correct. So I guess I should thank you?

You 'predicted' something based on the fact that you had nothing in the first place and knew it. So you wanted to make a big deal of a very teeny tiny thing so thought you would make a preemptive strike. In the end, you still had nothing.

You do understand that the Liberal response will be that this is ok. That this White House has every right to exclude Fox News because they are not pro Obama.

The most irritating thing in the world is to have someone try and tell you what your own opinion is.

mind you, this is sort of like Obama's "evolving" views on homosexual marriage - everyone knew the administrations official position was full of crap.

Newly released emails show the Obama administration communication team privately discussed whether to exclude Fox News from interviews in late 2009, despite claims at the time that the White House did not intend to snub the cable news channel....

"The Obama administration seems to have lied about its attempt to exclude Fox News Channel from access to an interview with the 'pay czar,'" Judicial Watch President Tom Fitton said in a statement....

The emails cover dozens of conversations in late 2009. But in one email dated Oct. 22, 2009, White House media official Dag Vega wrote to Treasury spokeswoman Jenni LeCompte saying, "we'd prefer if you skip Fox please."

The guidance was in reference to a discussion about whether to make economic officials available. It's unclear whether they were referring at all to Feinberg -- who was, after a back-and-forth, offered up to Fox News for an interview later in the afternoon.

But administration aides showed frustration as they later saw media reports claiming Treasury tried to exclude Fox News at first. That frustration ended up being directed at Fox News itself.

"brett baier just did a stupid piece on it---but he is a lunatic," White House spokeswoman Jennifer Psaki wrote in an email that evening, referencing "Special Report" host Bret Baier.

The next morning, as other media coverage of the run-in popped up, Psaki wrote: "I am putting some dead fish in the fox cubby -- just cause."...

From your own FOX News link:

The perceived slight in October 2009 led to a confrontation with the press corps, not just Fox News -- afterward, the administration ultimately granted the interview to Fox News, along with other news outlets. Administration officials at the time rejected any suggestion that they had tried to exclude Fox News in the first place.

But the emails suggest the subject was at least discussed.

The emails suggesting that it was at least "discussed" is the key. What was the outcome of the discussion? That is the real key. Anything can be discussed, but that does not mean that any action was taken.

What I am waiting for right now is whether hacking into the phones of 911 victims was only being discussed, or if FOX News actually did it. I am withholding judgment on that one too until I know more.

The interesting thing was I thought this was common knowledge. The Democratic Party as a whole engaged in a somewhat short-term boycott of Fox News as they saw it as the media wing of the Republican Party. It was rather short-sighted of them, and increased the perception that they were not interested in engaging in conversation with the other half of Americans.

Anyhow, we also have to admit that the Bush administration at times used this technique to secure interviews from high state officials within the administration. Maybe not necessarily to the degree at first displayed by the Obama administration (or perhaps it was just as much), but it was there.

Nevertheless, each administration begins to find out it can play favorites, but it cannot try to shut out the other side, because you are just asking for trouble that way.

Last edited:

They have given fox a front row seat in the press room and much more legitimacy then they deserve. If they're mad because some people in the administration talked about them behind their backs then I'd suggest to those people to go get a nice bottle of wine and sit on it.

Sounds to me like Fox is more interested in creating something where there is nothing rather than actually report on their own parent company's troubles.

They have given fox a front row seat in the press room and much more legitimacy then they deserve.

The largest single source of television news for Americans is not quite deserving of this? We can say what we like about Fox News' quality of reporting, but you would be a damned fool to not give them a front seat.

"Sounds to me like Fox is more interested in creating something where there is nothing rather than actually report on their own parent company's troubles."

Perhaps a distraction is nice for them. I do not disagree.

The largest single source of television news for Americans is not quite deserving of this? We can say what we like about Fox News' quality of reporting, but you would be a damned fool to not give them a front seat.

"Sounds to me like Fox is more interested in creating something where there is nothing rather than actually report on their own parent company's troubles."

Perhaps a distraction is nice for them. I do not disagree.
Rush Limbaugh is the most popular radio show in america, doesn't mean we have to acquiesce and act like it's a completely fair and balanced news source.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Fox is conservative and I have found lately that many conservatives can't help but play that victim card every chance they get.

Rush Limbaugh is the most popular radio show in america, doesn't mean we have to acquiesce and act like it's a completely fair and balanced news source.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Fox is conservative and I have found lately that many conservatives can't help but play that victim card every chance they get.

The Fox News station does at least attempt to do journalism, even if it tilts right. To compare it strictly to Rush Limbaugh followed by a short-sighted victim card argument is only showing your rancor. I could just as easily make the comment that liberals have not gotten past Richard Hofstadter's Paranoid Style in American Politics or Anti-Intellectualism in American Life and apply such gross stereotypes any chance they get, ignoring their own similar style.

Last edited:
It's good Obama hates Fox. If he didn't, Fox wouldn't be doing its job. It's always good when your avowed enemy hates you. If he doesn't, you're doing something wrong.

It's good Obama hates Fox. If he didn't, Fox wouldn't be doing its job. It's always good when your avowed enemy hates you. If he doesn't, you're doing something wrong.
I don't think Obama hates Fox, I believe he thinks that Fox is full of **** and it is, so it's cool.

Yes its great when a "news" organization just slanders new to the point of ludicrous. Thats really "good" i guess.

The Fox News station does at least attempt to do journalism, even if it tilts right. To compare it strictly to Rush Limbaugh followed by a short-sighted victim card argument is only showing your rancor. I could just as easily make the comment that liberals have not gotten past Richard Hofstadter's Paranoid Style in American Politics or Anti-Intellectualism in American Life and apply such gross stereotypes any chance they get, ignoring their own similar style.

It's not a tilt, and I'd be interested to hear about this attempt at journalism.

It's not a tilt, and I'd be interested to hear about this attempt at journalism.

Non-existent, my friend. More like sensationalism. Out-right deception.

Two arguments you should never expect a conclusion to. Fox is real news and Religion.

Nowhere in the article does it state that any action was taken on this discussion. In fact it shows that the opposite occurred and there were interviews. So basically this is a nice attempt to drum up something where nothing exists. :shrug:

One wonders if the OP read the source article objectively or just ran with the headline because it sounded good.

Last edited:
So let me see if I understand this - the Obama Administration doesn't like Fox News, which is the propaganda wing of the Republican/Tea Party. And this is somehow surprising?

Fox News better worry about their sugar daddy winding up in a British prison.

So?

Fox News isn't a real news station. It's pretty much a fundraising infomercial for the Republicans. They have literally run demonstrations and supported candidates. Their very foundation revolves around being a GOP propaganda machine. They don't really deserve to be regarded as part of the news media.

It's not like there aren't conservative news outlets beyond Fox. And yet Fox is the only one that gets "singled out." It's not because they're afraid of conservative news media. It's because Fox isn't news media.

And as others have mentioned, they did ultimately grant interviews anyway. Which, honestly, I don't think they should have. Fox doesn't deserve to be regarded as a real news outlet, because they aren't.

Yes yes yes... we all know Fox leans right. Just as we all know MSNBC leans left.
They do.

But to have serious discussions and even one of the "Czars" stand up and proclaim a major news outlet will be denied access to the President because "we don't like them" shows much about the Open Administration. If you think modern journalism is biased now, read a few articles during the founder's time.

I didn't know sarcasm was a hallmark of the Right. I guess Jon Stewart isn't a raging lefty after all!

Back
Top Bottom