• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

DP moving from vBulletin to xenForo

I plan on putting together at least a couple of videos based on our setup with our add-ons.

Can't wait for others to witness his amazing and contageous laugh.

I would hope that this transition clears up the problems with the Search function.

Thanks for your efforts on this.

As long as we can intermittently butt heads, that's cool. Carry on.

Thanks Red, and thank you to all who helped with the work and finances behind the software changeover. It is appreciated. :thumbs:

For those unfamiliar with this new software, go to politicalforum.com for an example.

Geez. I leave for almost an entire month and look what happens. :shock:

Ah well. Hope this works out well not just for the site staff, but ends up working for ALL DPers!

This is clearly voter suppression, changing the political debate software so close to an election. Did Trump put you up to this?

Geez. I leave for almost an entire month and look what happens. :shock:

Ah well. Hope this works out well not just for the site staff, but ends up working for ALL DPers!

I got to play with it when we first thought of switching, and mostly I just played with it as a user, and I think you will be impressed. If nothing else, being able to embed videos from places other than youtube is pretty nice. Everything seemed really user friendly. I tend to fear change, but I think after we get the hickups worked out that are sure to happen, we will all of us, staff and users, be glad we made the change.

You guys have me pretty intrigued with the new forum software, sounds like it will be a nice move for DP!

I got to play with it when we first thought of switching, and mostly I just played with it as a user, and I think you will be impressed. If nothing else, being able to embed videos from places other than youtube is pretty nice. Everything seemed really user friendly. I tend to fear change, but I think after we get the hickups worked out that are sure to happen, we will all of us, staff and users, be glad we made the change.

I think it's important for you to have software you can maintain and get the support you need from the company.

Well damn. I specifically started a thread bitching about how we couldn't use more video sources than youtube. Nice.

The thing I like is all the youtube videos can be seen in full screen on the forum, probably all videos, not sure.

Due to the kindness of one of our posters who has agreed to cover the license fee, we have purchased xenForo. It has been installed in the background and we are importing a copy of the database right now. After testing is completed and we have ensured that everything is working correctly, we will migrate over to the new software. Testing will take at least a couple of weeks and we will need to run another import before going live to ensure that we have all of the data. Before we make the switch, "how to" tutorial threads will be created to help everyone get acquainted and familiar with the new software. In the meantime, we will continue as we have been with vB.

As with anything that one does, it's impossible to please everyone, but I think most will really like the new software and how easy it is to use. It will take a little adjustment period to figure out where everything is and get used to the new terminology (for example, PM's are called 'Conversations'), but this software does so much more than vB, it runs so much smoother than vB and it looks so much better than vB.

I'll post more in the coming weeks. If you see the website with a slow response or it is inaccessible, it's most likely due to an import or testing running in the background.

Can we get it to run Skyrim? everything else does.

Due to the kindness of one of our posters who has agreed to cover the license fee, we have purchased xenForo. It has been installed in the background and we are importing a copy of the database right now. After testing is completed and we have ensured that everything is working correctly, we will migrate over to the new software. Testing will take at least a couple of weeks and we will need to run another import before going live to ensure that we have all of the data. Before we make the switch, "how to" tutorial threads will be created to help everyone get acquainted and familiar with the new software. In the meantime, we will continue as we have been with vB.

As with anything that one does, it's impossible to please everyone, but I think most will really like the new software and how easy it is to use. It will take a little adjustment period to figure out where everything is and get used to the new terminology (for example, PM's are called 'Conversations'), but this software does so much more than vB, it runs so much smoother than vB and it looks so much better than vB.

I'll post more in the coming weeks. If you see the website with a slow response or it is inaccessible, it's most likely due to an import or testing running in the background.

real suggestion:
it seems there is a plugin that would allow me to set private tags on various other posters. this would remind me of what policy positions they hold on various topics which could be used for a debate experience that is less generalized and perhaps could help people get past the "this group vs that group" wall. If used intelligently by the posters, it might improve dialogue here overall.

(original credit for idea is from aocwasadumho)

Last edited:

I hope that after the move to “xenForo“that the forum: Battle Grounds and Disputations to the front page to limit the trolls from infecting the forums.:2wave:

Red, I hope when we get the new software, we can see our own posts made in the Basement. I understand keeping those threads off the main board, but it is really annoying that a post down there isn't even in my post list.

real suggestion:
it seems there is a plugin that would allow me to set private tags on various other posters. this would remind me of what policy positions they hold on various topics which could be used for a debate experience that is less generalized and perhaps could help people get past the "this group vs that group" wall. If used intelligently by the posters, it might improve dialogue here overall.

(original credit for idea is from aocwasadumho)

No way! Keep a notebook if you need to "tag" us. It makes the partisanship even worse.

Red, I hope when we get the new software, we can see our own posts made in the Basement. I understand keeping those threads off the main board, but it is really annoying that a post down there isn't even in my post list.

You've always been able to see them in your User Control Panel (top right part of your browser) if a new post is made in a thread you are participating in.

You've always been able to see them in your User Control Panel (top right part of your browser) if a new post is made in a thread you are participating in.

I'll hunt for that. Thanks.

Nope. Nothing from The Basement shows--not the thread, not the posts. It's not the end of the world, not what this thread is for, so I'll shut up. Just so you know, though..

Nope. Nothing from The Basement shows--not the thread, not the posts. It's not the end of the world, not what this thread is for, so I'll shut up. Just so you know, though..
If you're set up to autosubscribe to any thread you participate in, the threads with new posts will show up in User CP. I've been using this for years, it works.

Back
Top Bottom