• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

DP moving from vBulletin to xenForo

I don't know a vbulletin from a Xenforo, but I can tell that this site runs a lot faster than it did. Kudos for that!

Red, I hope when we get the new software, we can see our own posts made in the Basement. I understand keeping those threads off the main board, but it is really annoying that a post down there isn't even in my post list.

That may make basement posts searchable on the net? Not sure though

That may make basement posts searchable on the net? Not sure though
Settings will fix that.

I'll be posting an update on the progress in the next day or two.

Settings will fix that.

I'll be posting an update on the progress in the next day or two.

Thank you

Will that make the BMent searchable on Google?

Red, if I may ask one question (and pardon me if you already answered it). Will we have to register for the new site?

Red, if I may ask one question (and pardon me if you already answered it). Will we have to register for the new site?

No, your username, password, posts, likes, etc... will all transfer over.

Just to update everyone, a copy of the database was made Friday night/Saturday morning. Saturday and into Sunday, that database was imported into xF for testing. I was impressed with the import. It looks great and I'm working on testing the add-ons we need. I've found a few themes to use other than the default theme and I'll be testing those as well. We do plan on having a theme similar in colors to the default theme we use here (called 'DP three dot oh'), but that may not be immediate. I still have to import the likes into the system but I don't think it will be as difficult as I initially thought.

I'll post more information late this weekend or early next week. I'll have a solid 2 or 3 days to check off a lot of items on the "to do" list. So far, so good!

I support this 100%, I love XenForo and out of the only 2 sites I frequent (rarely) one is dead and the other is Spacebattles which really went down the toilet, especially the past 4-5 years or so. Maybe this site can provide an example of what a productive if dysfunctional internet discourse installation can be on XenForo, still has its flaws as they all do but it beats even the best by ****ing lightyears

Just to update everyone, a copy of the database was made Friday night/Saturday morning. Saturday and into Sunday, that database was imported into xF for testing. I was impressed with the import. It looks great and I'm working on testing the add-ons we need. I've found a few themes to use other than the default theme and I'll be testing those as well. We do plan on having a theme similar in colors to the default theme we use here (called 'DP three dot oh'), but that may not be immediate. I still have to import the likes into the system but I don't think it will be as difficult as I initially thought.

I'll post more information late this weekend or early next week. I'll have a solid 2 or 3 days to check off a lot of items on the "to do" list. So far, so good!

Do you have a rough estimate for how long DP will be offline for the transfer, after/ when all tests are done?

Is there an estimated time range when this will happen?

tenor.gif

Will our "Likes" transfer over?

will the sexy pics transfer?

Do you have a rough estimate for how long DP will be offline for the transfer, after/ when all tests are done?

Is there an estimated time range when this will happen?

I'll post something later this weekend. I'll know more after I import the likes.

Will our "Likes" transfer over?

Working on that today. They should transfer over but since they weren't a part of vBulletin's software initially, they were an add-on and I just have to transfer the data from that table to the corresponding xF table.

I got to play with it when we first thought of switching, and mostly I just played with it as a user, and I think you will be impressed. If nothing else, being able to embed videos from places other than YouTube is pretty nice. Everything seemed really user friendly. I tend to fear change, but I think after we get the hiccups worked out that are sure to happen, we will all of us, staff and users, be glad we made the change.

This phrase perfectly fits how I feel about change: "If it is not broken, don't fix it." (The original version has two English grammar violations.) So it is saying a lot when I am excited about new software on a message board.

Red, what can you tell us about posting videos and their formatting in xF?

Will the YouTube video formatting now in use here at DP be the same in xF? Many of us participate in music video threads.

What additional video formats will be allowed/accepted and what is their respective formatting in xF?

Will the YouTube video formatting now in use here at DP be the same in xF? Many of us participate in music video threads.

What additional video formats will be allowed/accepted and what is their respective formatting in xF?

It is same process basically for YouTube, copy the link, click embed media button, paste link, and done. Works for other media too, such as Facebook videos, Twitter, giphy, some music sites, other video sites. I really like it. I played around a couple hours on the test board, just embedding media.

Redress is the expert on posting videos in xF. He posted from several sources multiple times and it looks great. You can go full screen on YouTube in xF too!

Red pardon me for asking this question here but I didn’t know where else to do so.

At times I have a few notifications but whenever I click on one to view the others disappear. Is there a setting somewhere I need to adjust to preserve them until I view them?

I feel embarrassed asking.

Back
Top Bottom