• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Dow surges to session high on report that the U.S. has weighed lifting China tariffs

We blame Trump because he has kicked the market in the nuts over and over and over.

When it looks like he might be done assaulting it, it rises again.

Then he comes back and kicks it again, and down it goes. He is the single reason the stock market was negative for 2018. The market could easily have survived global softening of growth. The market could survive Brexit. The market could survive poor decisions from Apple. What it couldn't hold its own against was Trump's trade wars.

But now that his poll numbers are going down because of a cascade of stupid decisions, it looks like his team might have convinced him to call off his efforts to bring the 2nd largest economy down and so, for today, the markets breathed a sigh of relief.

Tomorrow when he feels a need to distract us from his embarrassment over the government shutdown or the Mueller investigation or his big booboo in Syria, it could be a different story. But for today, with a hint of good news about him maybe calling the dogs off in China, the market goes up. In keeping with the pattern it followed throughout 2018.

He kicked the market in the nuts???

How?

(please don't respond with nonsense and hyperbole...just some facts)

He kicked the market in the nuts???

How?

(please don't respond with nonsense and hyperbole...just some facts)

Trade wars.

You know it.

Edit: And now his shutdown.

Last edited:
Trade wars.

You know it.

Edit: And now his shutdown.

Those don't affect the stock market...unless, of course, those high-strung speculators and their computer programs react to nonsense.

For example, someone reports that the Chinese said something about working with the US in their talks. Big deal. It means nothing until we see what the Chinese actually do. It won't affect the bottom line of any Main Street American company or job. But the speculators get all giddy and up the stock market goes. Tomorrow, the Chinese will say something else. Again, it won't affect any Main Street company or job. But again, those speculators will think the sky is falling and down the stock market goes.

Same with the shutdown.

No...if the market gets kicked in the nuts...and it's been happening over and over...it's because of those speculators who react over nonsense.

Those don't affect the stock market...unless, of course, those high-strung speculators and their computer programs react to nonsense.

For example, someone reports that the Chinese said something about working with the US in their talks. Big deal. It won't affect the bottom line of any Main Street American company or job. But the speculators get all giddy and up the stock market goes. Tomorrow, the Chinese will say something else. Again, it won't affect any Main Street company or job. But again, those speculators will think the sky is falling and down the stock market goes.

Same with the shutdown.

No...if the market gets kicked in the nuts...and it's been happening over and over...it's because of those speculators who react over nonsense.

There are a lot of reactions. Farmers and manufacturers have taken serious blows.

Of course your position has been that if farmers and manufacturers couldn't take a president holding them underwater and trying to drown them then they weren't resilient enough to be in business.

It's not that the market is volatile. It's that I can buy something (long or short) and then he opens his mouth or tweets (thus affecting stuff). I can do all the homework in the world but he's a loose canon that I can't predict and can crush my trades.

So I've stopped trading.

The amount of trades I have been doing has dropped but I am still trading and having some success. In the last 8 weeks I have traded AAPL 5 times (three times on the long side and twice on the short side) and I show a profit per 100 shares of over $2500 dollars. The loss was only $54 per 100 shares. I shorted it again today at 157.06. Closed around 155.60.

Trump has affected the market but it isn't a yo-yo situation.

There are a lot of reactions. Farmers and manufacturers have taken serious blows.

Of course your position has been that if farmers and manufacturers couldn't take a president holding them underwater and trying to drown them then they weren't resilient enough to be in business.

Which has nothing to do with the markets...except when speculators and Trump haters think the sky is falling.

btw, nice deflection...but useless.

Moving on...

Which has nothing to do with the markets...except when speculators and Trump haters think the sky is falling.

btw, nice deflection...but useless.

Moving on...

Has nothing to do with the markets?

You really do need to move on. But you'll jump in again with your Trump water carrying. He's depending on it to keep his approval rating in the 40's no matter how destructive he is.

We know you're a lock.

Hopefully other erstwhile Trump supporters are more willing to let go so that lily-livered GOP politicians will sense a wind change and will feel they have a little cover to do the right thing.

Exactly...nothing.

There you go again. Since you can't move on, I will.

Your ignorant Trumpian water-carrying is very tiresome.

Being a day/swing trader has screwed me over the last year. A single tweet from him can cost me $5000.

My one furtive entry into trading/speculation was when George Bush (43) made a stirring speech about alternative energy and his wish to promote investments in fuel cell systems. I put about three thousand dollars into the leading company in the field, Ballard Power, and got a pretty nice return bump totaling a tidy six thousand, roughly doubling my money over a period of about a week or so.
Then I stupidly plowed it all back (except $500) into Ballard again, hoping to ride a second wave, when suddenly Dubya started waxing poetic about buying trucks and SUV's instead. All the talk about investing in fuel cells turned out to be just talk.
Ballard stocks plummeted and I got out after losing most of it.
I think I remember winding up with about eleven hundred bucks out of my initial investment.

Lesson learned, no matter how much you might know, pretend that you can afford to lose it all or just don't play the game.

PS: Ballard is still in the business but they don't really do much in "automotive", more like remote area industrial power generation and storage systems. For a few brief moments they'd though they would be getting into automotive fuel cells, then mostly decided against it after their little roller coaster ride.
I took my eleven hundred and bought a crapped out used Dodge Caravan.

If the trade war ends, great. All of this trade deficit nonsense is just that...nonsense. Trump does not understand the interrelationship between world financial markets and world trade. Most people don't. This entire trade war focused on the trade deficit has been a waste of time and money, damaging all around.

If there is no resolution to China IP theft, then all the rest of this is just noise and you cannot solve IP theft bilaterally. I don't care how this tariffs nonsense ends as long as it ends. But a "deal" that does nothing about China IP theft will be as meaningful as the NK nuke deal has been. There is a low bar for you.

Watch, Limbaugh and Coulter will check in with Lame Duck Don and that will be the end of tariff relief.

The amount of trades I have been doing has dropped but I am still trading and having some success. In the last 8 weeks I have traded AAPL 5 times (three times on the long side and twice on the short side) and I show a profit per 100 shares of over $2500 dollars. The loss was only $54 per 100 shares. I shorted it again today at 157.06. Closed around 155.60.

Trump has affected the market but it isn't a yo-yo situation.

i bought Apple around 20 times years ago when it was in the $70 range. sold it each day for a decent profit. ALL I HAD TO DO WAS HOLD IT.

My one furtive entry into trading/speculation was when George Bush (43) made a stirring speech about alternative energy and his wish to promote investments in fuel cell systems. I put about three thousand dollars into the leading company in the field, Ballard Power, and got a pretty nice return bump totaling a tidy six thousand, roughly doubling my money over a period of about a week or so.
Then I stupidly plowed it all back (except $500) into Ballard again, hoping to ride a second wave, when suddenly Dubya started waxing poetic about buying trucks and SUV's instead. All the talk about investing in fuel cells turned out to be just talk.
Ballard stocks plummeted and I got out after losing most of it.
I think I remember winding up with about eleven hundred bucks out of my initial investment.

Lesson learned, no matter how much you might know, pretend that you can afford to lose it all or just don't play the game.

PS: Ballard is still in the business but they don't really do much in "automotive", more like remote area industrial power generation and storage systems. For a few brief moments they'd though they would be getting into automotive fuel cells, then mostly decided against it after their little roller coaster ride.
I took my eleven hundred and bought a crapped out used Dodge Caravan.

i have a friend whose first (or one of his first) trades made him around $25,000. when he made the trade he (since he was a rookie and didn't know better) left his house. another friend (who got him interesting in trading) called him said something like "DID YOU SELL?". he had to rush home to sell. that's the story that was told to me anyway. you know how fish stories go.

he eventually quit his job and traded full time.

he lost his house and filed bankruptcy a few years later. interestingly, he's a huge Trump fan.

i bought Apple around 20 times years ago when it was in the $70 range. sold it each day for a decent profit. ALL I HAD TO DO WAS HOLD IT.

The "darling" stocks right now are in the Marijuana industry. I have bought CRON 4 times over the past 3 months and have held those purchases. Average entry point is 8.75 and stock is presently at 14.27. I am singing "hallelujah" every day. I am looking for $20 within 6 months

Dow surges to session high on report that the U.S. has weighed lifting China tariffs

The Dow continues to rise and fall on news about the tariffs. Trump makes threats and the market falls. We get hope that Trump's reign of terror might be abating, and the market rises again.
SIAP. Shows the Dow is tied to global markets and not American markets. When the Dow is down or up, that doesn't mean the American market is down or up.

Guess tariffs should be lifted from the Chinese even though it would harm American export sales and American jobs, for examples, because the Dow is more important than the American economy???

i have a friend whose first (or one of his first) trades made him around $25,000. when he made the trade he (since he was a rookie and didn't know better) left his house. another friend (who got him interesting in trading) called him said something like "DID YOU SELL?". he had to rush home to sell. that's the story that was told to me anyway. you know how fish stories go.

he eventually quit his job and traded full time.

he lost his house and filed bankruptcy a few years later. interestingly, he's a huge Trump fan.

LOL, I was just an idiot playing with something I didn't understand, and understandably, I earned me a spanking. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom