• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Donald Trump savages Japan, saying all they will do is 'watch Sony TVs' if US is atta

Re: Donald Trump savages Japan, saying all they will do is 'watch Sony TVs' if US is

One of the mandates of NATO is that member nations spend 2% of their GDP on defense. The bulk of NATO nations to not spend that required minimum. This isn't about asking them for payment. This is like being part of a club but then members who don't pay dues still get the benefits.
Not a mandate, something they all agreed to.
Yes that is a problem that needs to be addressed. EU and Canada need to step up.

Re: Donald Trump savages Japan, saying all they will do is 'watch Sony TVs' if US is

Care to make one as I missed it?
Boiled down just for you.

1. Our allies need to shoulder more of their own defense costs.

2. Israel has proved itself in battle, has successfully defended itself. Yes we gave assistance, but we give a lot of assistance to folks that are not clearly in danger and have not had to really defend their survival like has Israel.

Boiled down just for you.

1. Our allies need to shoulder more of their own defense costs.

2. Israel has proved itself in battle, has successfully defended itself. Yes we gave assistance, but we give a lot of assistance to folks that are not clearly in danger and have not had to really defend their survival like has Israel.
Read my post prior to yours

Yes that is a problem that needs to be addressed. EU and Canada need to step up.

Correct- and Trump is NOT capable of accomplishing that by throwing childish threats.

Nobody will respect a loud-mouth douchebag.

Correct- and Trump is NOT capable of accomplishing that by throwing childish threats.

Nobody will respect a loud-mouth douchebag.

True enough, but the US public is tired of paying the freight.

Maybe you should learn to read with comprehension. Go back and re read it. Then cut and paste it here so we can all pull it apart.

As I predicted, you won't admit you were wrong for implying that Japan pays none of the costs for protection
Japan can certainly choose to remain pacifist, but they do need to shoulder, and can certainly afford to pay some of the cost of their protection;

As I predicted, you won't admit you were wrong for implying that Japan pays none of the costs for protection
My statement did not say they paid nothing, it says as you cut and pasted, "but they do need to shoulder, and can certainly afford to pay some of the cost of their protection;" I spoke of 1. The need to pay and 2. their ability to afford to pay... says nothing there about whether or not they paid. I will admit to not being as precise as I normally am and could have said they could afford to pay more. But I never, as you stated, said they pay nothing as you stated right here"

ANd it's worth every penny

But you said that Japan doesn't pay. You were wrong

But I don't expect you to ever admit that

As is clearly seen, I never said Japan does not pay. Admit you were wrong, sport.

Using ethnic or racial pejoratives is cheap and common. The language of the ill-educated and the unwashed. Trump plays to that demographic. Clearly he has your number.

This is the liberal certainty that the NRA has a mind meld with a few tens of millions of rednecks or wannabe rednecks, shifted a few degrees into the new use of creating a fantasy for why so many people support Trump. When your systems break down, when your understandings clearly fail, instead of getting busy and learning so many turn to magical thinking to explain away the bits of reality which make no sense.

Trump has no magic over me. Trump has not conned me, Trump has so far done exactly what he said he would do, often very well, so I support Trump. That is all you are seeing.

But I am not sure that you can deal with that.

Last edited:

My statement did not say they paid nothing, it says as you cut and pasted, "but they do need to shoulder, and can certainly afford to pay some of the cost of their protection;" I spoke of 1. The need to pay and 2. their ability to afford to pay... says nothing there about whether or not they paid. I will admit to not being as precise as I normally am

I don't know about precise, but your words were clear. You implied they didn't pay anything for their protection.

This is the liberal certainty that the NRA has a mind meld with a few tens of millions of rednecks or wannabe rednecks, shifted a few degrees into the new use of creating a fantasy for why so many people support Trump. When your systems break down, when your understandings clearly fail, instead of getting busy and learning so many turn to magical thinking to explain away the bits of reality which make no sense.

Trump has no magic over me. Trump has not conned me, Trump has so far done exactly what he said he would do, often very well, so I support Trump. That is all you are seeing.

But I am not sure that you can deal with that.

I can smell the ganga from here. You really should cut back.

I can smell the ganga from here. You really should cut back.

That which you smell is the stench of truth.

There is an older thread that addressed this issue, we contribute in other ways to the defense of NATO because lets be real, no matter how much Canada spends on its military it is still going to be very tiny and not really contribute very much. Same goes with many European countries. Canada contributes land and resources and the EU contributes things like foreign aid. The only members of NATO whose militaries would be of any use in large scale operation are: the US, UK, France, and maybe Germany. Do you really think Luxembourg's army makes any difference?

Last edited:

That which you smell is the stench of truth.

I was right. You were baked when you wrote that.

I don't know about precise, but your words were clear. You implied they didn't pay anything for their protection.
If you read those words, especially with other words I wrote in the thread, you would not/should not arrive at that implication... but read them as you please, no skin of my back. You don't have to admit you are wrong and that I did, nowhere, say they did not pay. I knew you would not admit to that.

Now, want to go around in circles some more? :lamo

Actually, he's wrong. But don't let facts get in the way. If you did you might not vote for the Messiah.

facts read the treaty hull.

run don run

Donald Trump savages Japan, saying all they will do is 'watch Sony TVs' if US is attacked and threatening to 'walk' away from treaty

Donald Trump has just made another friend. Kim Jong Un.

Article is here.

" Savages " Japan ?

Thats not exactly " savaging ".

As for Japan ? Japan's run by Liberals while being one of the most intolerant and nationalistic Nations on the Earth.

Its ethnic issues get ignored as Japan's mis-treatment of non-Japanese citizens ( specifically Koreans ) continues unchallenged

You think Japan would take in Syrian refugees ? What about North Africa refugees? Nope and Nope.

From politics to the private sector Non-Japanese people get treated as second class citizens and Japan gets a pss from Liberals in America

There is an older thread that addressed this issue, we contribute in other ways to the defense of NATO because lets be real, no matter how much Canada spends on its military it is still going to be very tiny and not really contribute very much. Same goes with many European countries. Canada contributes land and resources and the EU contributes things like foreign aid. The only members of NATO whose militaries would be of any use in large scale operation are: the US, UK, France, and maybe Germany. Do you really think Luxembourg's army makes any difference?

Maybe. I hear they got France to surrender. :mrgreen:

Donald Trump savages Japan, saying all they will do is 'watch Sony TVs' if US is attacked and threatening to 'walk' away from treaty

Donald Trump has just made another friend. Kim Jong Un.

Article is here.

His comments make sense to me... Why would we promise to defend someone who won't reciprocate??

Japan can stand on its own against NK, so they don't need us defend them.
Global Firepower Military Ranks - 2016

" Savages " Japan ?

Thats not exactly " savaging ".

As for Japan ? Japan's run by Liberals while being one of the most intolerant and nationalistic Nations on the Earth.

Its ethnic issues get ignored as Japan's mis-treatment of non-Japanese citizens ( specifically Koreans ) continues unchallenged

You think Japan would take in Syrian refugees ? What about North Africa refugees? Nope and Nope.

From politics to the private sector Non-Japanese people get treated as second class citizens and Japan gets a pss from Liberals in America

Shinzo Abe is the Japanese Prime Minister, and one of the most conservative prime ministers Japan has ever had. His party, which is a conservative party(despite the name), has had control of the Diet since 2012. Don't let actual facts get in your way tho~

His comments make sense to me... Why would we promise to defend someone who won't reciprocate??

Japan can stand on its own against NK, so they don't need us defend them.
Global Firepower Military Ranks - 2016

Japan gives us basing rights in exchange for the defense. Also note that Japan was part of the "Coalition of the Willing", so this idea they do not reciprocate is silly. Further note that Japan recently changed their interpretation of their constitution to allow them to send troops into combat overseas in defense of allies. It does help to know what you are talking about...

Japan gives us basing rights in exchange for the defense.

Huh. Are there any large, hostile nations in Asia that basing in Japan allows us to check?

What I love about this is that on Monday, Trump (and some of the press) were pushing the "RESET" button, and 24 hours later he's back to proving he's an ignoramus.

What are the odds that he will kick an orphan by the end of the week? 10-1? :mrgreen:

Shinzo Abe is the Japanese Prime Minister, and one of the most conservative prime ministers Japan has ever had. His party, which is a conservative party(despite the name), has had control of the Diet since 2012. Don't let actual facts get in your way tho~

Nothing Conservative at all about Shinzo Abes economic, fiscal and monetary initiatives

More fiscal stimulus added with unprecedented monetary stimulus to supress rates ( Abenomics ) and tax increases

Thanks to the 10 different stimulus initiatives in the 90's Japan now has the highest GDP to Debt ratio among developed Nations which means that they're vulnerable to even small rate hikes.

So they suppress rates at the expense of their savers and the Japanese people are consumate savers

Conservatives tend to favor incentivizing private sector investment via lower taxes and reduce regulations over massive and ineffective Govt intervention via fiscal and monetary stimulus

So the US and Japan signed a mutual treaty to aid each other in the event of an attack. However as it turns out Trump is correct in stating that Japan would not come to US aid?

Trump is absolutely correct in stating that it's a bad treaty and a bad deal.

They don't have much of a military, they haven't since the end of WWII. It wasn't until recently they even started to think about having anything larger than some small defense force. Part of that was the treaty we signed with them. They weren't allowed to have an actual military. It wasn't even until the 50's that they established a self-defense force. But we took responsibility for military options there, it was part of the treaty we signed with them.

It's like people don't know history.

They don't have much of a military, they haven't since the end of WWII. It wasn't until recently they even started to think about having anything larger than some small defense force. Part of that was the treaty we signed with them. They weren't allowed to have an actual military. It wasn't even until the 50's that they established a self-defense force. But we took responsibility for military options there, it was part of the treaty we signed with them.

It's like people don't know history.
People know their history. What's being pointed out is that we signed a Mutual Defense Treaty knowing full well that Japan's military was under severe restriction. It's a bad treaty. This is what Trump talks about when it comes to our politicos making bad deals.

Back
Top Bottom