• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Donald Trump savages Japan, saying all they will do is 'watch Sony TVs' if US is atta

Re: Donald Trump savages Japan, saying all they will do is 'watch Sony TVs' if US is

Huh. Are there any large, hostile nations in Asia that basing in Japan allows us to check?

I am not sure, let's ask this guy...

Xi_Jinping_October_2015.jpg

Re: Donald Trump savages Japan, saying all they will do is 'watch Sony TVs' if US is

People know their history. What's being pointed out is that we signed a Mutual Defense Treaty knowing full well that Japan's military was under severe restriction. It's a bad treaty. This is what Trump talks about when it comes to our politicos making bad deals.

It wasn't a bad treaty, Japan had attacked us. We took out their military for a long time because of it. When was Germany finally able to use its military outside it's boarder? IIRC, it wasn't too long ago. So remove a hostile force, we had to pick up some slack to defend the places we disarmed; but we got to put more bases in other countries and expand our military presence. Bad treaty? No, it expanded American influence and allowed us to establish permanent military bases in the Asian theater.

Nothing Conservative at all about Shinzo Abes economic, fiscal and monetary initiatives

More fiscal stimulus added with unprecedented monetary stimulus to supress rates ( Abenomics ) and tax increases

Thanks to the 10 different stimulus initiatives in the 90's Japan now has the highest GDP to Debt ratio among developed Nations which means that they're vulnerable to even small rate hikes.

So they suppress rates at the expense of their savers and the Japanese people are consumate savers

Conservatives tend to favor incentivizing private sector investment via lower taxes and reduce regulations over massive and ineffective Govt intervention via fiscal and monetary stimulus

Yeah, I can see how you would think a hawk, who favors streamlining government, privatization of state run programs, and reduction in the deficit a liberal...

Seriously, you might want to actually learn about what you talk about.

I am not sure, let's ask this guy...

View attachment 67205473

[Trump]I mean, I love sushi, I eat the best sushi, but why would I like or ask this guy? He probably sucks at Sushi.

Don't get me wrong. I can be - so diplomatic. So diplomatic you wouldn't believe. Domo Arrigato Mr Roboto. Not many people can - I get people telling me all the time, Oh you're so diplomatic, why can you go back to being the tough guy, but I am the tough guy, but you have to be able to be tough and be both.

So I told Japan they should build nuclear bombs. But I didn't and people who tell you that kinda crap are such liars - such liars.[/Trump]

facts read the treaty hull.

run don run

I read the treaty. It does not require Japan to come to the aid of the United States.

[Trump]I mean, I love sushi, I eat the best sushi, but why would I like or ask this guy? He probably sucks at Sushi.

Don't get me wrong. I can be - so diplomatic. So diplomatic you wouldn't believe. Domo Arrigato Mr Roboto. Not many people can - I get people telling me all the time, Oh you're so diplomatic, why can you go back to being the tough guy, but I am the tough guy, but you have to be able to be tough and be both.

So I told Japan they should build nuclear bombs. But I didn't and people who tell you that kinda crap are such liars - such liars.[/Trump]

That is perfect. Love it.

Yeah, I can see how you would think a hawk, who favors streamlining government, privatization of state run programs, and reduction in the deficit a liberal...

Seriously, you might want to actually learn about what you talk about.

I know exactly what Im talking about

Japans never ending Keynesian nightmare
Japan's Never-Ending Keynesian Nightmare | Stock News & Stock Market Analysis - IBD

Japans Debt to GDP
IMF warns Japan over its staggering national debt - Jul. 23, 2015

If you know what you are talking about, why are you trying to argue something no one is disputing? Yes, Japan has a debt problem, and no one has claimed otherwise. To put that at the feet of Abe is really ****ing stupid though, since his time as PM began in December 2012(after a much shorter time in office from Sept 2006 to sept 2007), while Japan has been building debt from long before then. Further, to blame the debt crisis on any one factor(and using an editorial to claim that it is the fault of Keynsian economics) is totally ignorant. Probably the biggest issue is Japan's aging and declining population. And none of this makes Abe nor his party liberal, which is the claim you made that was challenged.

Trump is reckless. some of these treaties that our country initiated took many years. To approach foreign policy of one of our best allies with they "just watch sony tv's" is more insulting divining rhetoric.

He is an ignoramus.

We actually have benefitted greatly and Japan allows our bases in their country in exchange for certain protections and it benefits the US.

However if anyone wants a treaty update --- baseless insults that are demeaning to the Japanese people is not leadership,

Trump seems to do divide and incite increased tensions and racism and violence every time he opens his mouth.

We spend billions on japan's behalf protecting them from Korea and China and the Boogieman, while they erect trade barriers preventing US products from having a level playing field in Japan.

Oh yes, they build cars here. They take an excessive markup in Japan when they invoice the parts, in effect keeping complete car profit in Japan. For example a wheel assembly might cost $50 in Japan, hits Huntsville Alabama at $1000. That 950$ serves to keep that taxable profit in the USA. Thus, they show a slim profit margin domestically.

But they are our friends, and now that China seeks to settle old scores, they are spending more on defense. Not because they want to, but because it's in their best interest. Will Japan back us when the shooting starts? Maybe. Maybe not.

I suspect a move soon.

I read the treaty. It does not require Japan to come to the aid of the United States.

exactly

Back
Top Bottom