• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Does society say a straight person can turn gay but a gay person can't turn straight?

Lol if I could have turned hetero I would, most gays that grow up in non-affirming environments usually "try." Sexuality cannot be changed, it's scientifically shown to be hardwired into the brain as an innate aspect of one's biology.

No one is saying straight people can turn gay.
Haven't you been paying attention? Most of the anti-gays seem to believe that.

Maybe because most of have homosexual tendencies and "choose" to suppress them.

I heard a stat that more young people are identifying as LGBT. I am getting the feeling that these advocates day that a straight people can turn gay with enough exposure. And then there is the anti conversion therapy guys.

What is the logic here?

Do YOU believe that people can "turn gay"?

I'm really getting sick of logging on to DP and finding myself in the Middle School playground.
Yes, that's what this place is starting to feel like.
Juvenile minds spewing Clearasil spattered fantasies about "homos" and turning homo, or being turned into homos by homos.

What's next, retard jokes? Nigger jokes? Stories about finger banging Mary Jane Rottencrotch?

Can we at least make a Kiddie Korner for DP newbies who appear to be laboring under a juvenile mindset so that the grownups can have rational conversations?

Maybe because most of have homosexual tendencies and "choose" to suppress them.
It is still said, and your claim was that it wasn't being said. And quite honestly, I have seen nothing to support the "most" concept on a verifiable statistical basis. Sure we are seeing where it happens, because that is what gets the notice. But what is not being pointed out or tracked for that matter, is all the opponents who never show those tendencies. And we can't just be claiming that they all do, because that would be falling back on the same types of unverifiable claims they try to use against LBGT.

I heard a stat that more young people are identifying as LGBT. I am getting the feeling that these advocates day that a straight people can turn gay with enough exposure. And then there is the anti conversion therapy guys.

What is the logic here?
Hey @Andyh2299 why are you running away from simple questions?
I asked you if you think that people can "choose to become gay" or "be turned gay" and I get crickets.

Do YOU believe that people can "turn gay"?
Only in the fashion that they decide to be honest with themselves. Someone could discover that they like sex with the same sex, but that doesn't turn someone gay.

Except if you go over to one of our endless transgender threads, vile righties are slandering LGBTQ people and their allies with the claim that they are trying to convince young people to go trans or gay.

Back that train up. Who said that? Ive never heard anything so stupid, when I am not reading replies by........*****,..........******, and ....................*****.

Are we talking about being gay or being homosexual, because apparently they are different things now.

Except if you go over to one of our endless transgender threads, vile righties are slandering LGBTQ people and their allies with the claim that they are trying to convince young people to go trans or gay.
Well duh! Isn't that what I just said? Do you have something against actually reading my posts?

Back that train up. Who said that? Ive never heard anything so stupid, when I am not reading replies by........*****,..........******, and ....................*****.
I am so curious as to what you censored.

And yes people are making that claim. Fishking and nwolf are doing so in this thread

I don't think I can count the number of times and threads that we had to correct radical right on the claim that people can turn gay.

Lol if I could have turned hetero I would, most gays that grow up in non-affirming environments usually "try." Sexuality cannot be changed, it's scientifically shown to be hardwired into the brain as an innate aspect of one's biology.
Hardwired? Ok show your work please? That is a bold assertion that deserves at the very least a creditable link to the science.

And before anyone just assumes I'm taking some inane right/Christian bullshit position, I am not. My position is that our own sexuality is our own liberty, that cannot be challenged by anyone. And being Right or Left is a myth. And I am ignostic (not agnostic). So no, I am not even the slightest opposed to anyone's sexuality.

And yes people are making that claim. Fishking and nwolf are doing so in this thread

I don't think I can count the number of times and threads that we had to correct radical right on the claim that people can turn gay.

If a heterosexual male who identifies as a man is straight, but then realises he is trans and so starts identifying as a woman, doesn't he/she then become a lesbian, and thus turns gay?

If a heterosexual male who identifies as a man is straight, but then realises he is trans and so starts identifying as a woman, doesn't he/she then become a lesbian, and thus turns gay?
The orientation isn't changing, just the label used to describe it. The same person is still attracted to women. The claim of "turning gay" is based on what one is attracted to changing not what one is changing.

I think there's a continuum. Most people are straight, but some are undoubtedly straighter than others. Traditionally about 3% of the people have identified as gay. They are probably the gayest gays since they had to overcome a lot of historical societal pressure to be straight.

The question is really whether being gay is nature or nurture. It's probably a combination of the two.

Now that being gay is becoming more accepted, you might find more people are somewhere in the middle and could go either way. I would hope that people aren't doing it because they think it's chic or something. My advice is be true to yourself and be what you are.

As you know heterosexual people dont turn gay. They were only asssumed to be hetero because of the fear of coming out or relgious progresming that they rejected. Trans people are the same. They were only asssumed to be CIS.

The orientation isn't changing, just the label used to describe it. The same person is still attracted to women. The claim of "turning gay" is based on what one is attracted to changing not what one is changing.

Surely the orientation is changing from opposite-gender attraction to same-gender attraction.

Remember, gay doesn't mean homosexual. Gay is same-gender attraction and homosexual means same-sex attraction. So the transwomen remains heterosexual, but is gay once they start identifying as a woman.

And if Chester the Molester decides to claim he's trans, puts on a dress and hangs out at the children's locker room at the Y then we, as a society, just need to live with that because who are we to tell him what gender he should identify as, right?

That's a hyped-up cartoon scenario made to scare the under informed.

I'm kind of sick of hearing this kind of sneak attack, especially from people who have never even encountered a trans

Surely the orientation is changing from opposite-gender attraction to same-gender attraction.

Remember, gay doesn't mean homosexual. Gay is same-gender attraction and homosexual means same-sex attraction. So the transwomen remains heterosexual, but is gay once they start identifying as a woman.
No, it doesn't change because it is not a choice. People were just assumed to be heterosexual. They were never heterosexual. Many people tried to fake being heterosexual but that doesn't last.

Back
Top Bottom