• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Do you support airport ethnic profiling of Middle Easterners?

Do you support ethnic profiling?

• A) Yes

Votes: 13 56.5%
  • B) No

Votes: 10 43.5%

• Total voters
Who Has The Safest Air Traffic/airport/airlines.....yes, Israel. Do They Preform Ethnic Profiling....yes. (by The Way I Am Not Libertarian, I Usually Vote Democratic

Simon W. Moon said:
I haven't voted yet.
However, if we only screen folks based on a certain set of criteria, especially a publicly knowable one such as an appearance of middle eastern descent, then all that a terrorist organization has to do to defeat the measure and get around our screening is to employ folks who do not match the criteria.

Racial profiling at airports doesn't mean you ignore everyone else. If someone is looking or doing something suspicious, you pull them aside no matter what their ethnicity.

Simon W. Moon said:
To insure that a terrorist operative can get on the plane unscreened all that the terrorists would have to do is to use someone who does not meet the established criteria. Fairly obvious work-around from the terrorists' PoV.

Assuming they can find such people. The fact that every single 9/11 hijacker was Arab, every single 9/11 hijacker was a young male, and every single 9/11 hijacker had an obviously-Muslim name, suggests that maybe it's not as easy as you make it sound to recruit people who don't match the profile.

If we institute ethnic profiling at airports, it will at least make it harder for them to carry out attacks on airlines. Not impossible, but harder. I would venture to say that it's much harder for them to recruit an Icelandic grandmother for a suicide mission, than a young Saudi male.

Simon W. Moon said:
Random screenings are harder to get around. There's no way to be sure that your terrorist operative will be able to get on unscreened. And the costs in lost manhours indoctrinating and training the operative and the risks involved in having the operative captured are significant.

Actually, they're much easier to get around. All the terrorists have to do is accept the odds of a random check, and no further planning is required. I'm sorry, but a ten-year-old Girl Scout is simply not as likely to be hiding explosives as a 25-year-old Arab Muslim male.

Airport screening is nothing but political cover. It's so the politician can say 'look at me, I'm making air travel safe for you' and it makes us feel good. It has been demonstrated over and over how porous security really is. If someone wants to get something on an airplane, it can be done. It may be a little harder and more risky than before, it just depends on how diligent and determined that person is.

The reason? MONEY!! We all give lip service about how secure we are or want to be, but don't want to pay for it. How often do you hear a suggestion on how to make airport security better, only to be rebutted by 'it costs too much'? Either by passenger inconvenience, increased ticket prices or some sort of fee increase. If you only want to pay for a minimum wage screener or security guard coverage, then you are going to get a minimum wage type security. I know there is a trade-off somewhere along the line, where costs outweigh risks, but where is that line and who draws it?

Just in case someone wants to say this is off the topic of profiling middle eastern people. Why don't we do a more thorough screen on everyone? Wouldn't that make us a little more safer? Answer: It would cost more in customer inconvenience and the hiring of more screeners.

Besides, who says the next attack (if there is one) won't be by another method? How safe is your water or food supply? How about your power grid, electricity or natural gas and on and on? How much would it cost to safeguard things like that? How much are we willing to pay? How afraid are you?

I voted no. When you do ethnic profiling it doesn't help. Terrorists could easily get a Middle easterner with light skin to dye thier hair blonde and get blue contacts and dress "western" and get a fake visa. How would ethnic profiling work there? I say just have the goverment do their job investigating possible terror threats and not ignore all the warnings like they did the last time and have a federal marshal on every flight ready to fight anyone that would dare hijack a plane.

I voted yes because it is the only reasonable way to maximize security. Random searches of all passengers should continue due to the correct observation that there are different kinds of terrorists than Middle Eastern Islamic Fundamentalist terrorists. The fact is that 99.9% of terrorist attacks and attempts in the last couple of decades have been performed by guys who look like the bunch in the photos that started this thread. You have five to eight of these guys going onto one flight with the intention of hijacking it, a random search will catch maybe one, probably not any.

If the guy who was robbed at the liquor store describes the robber as a tall, blueeyed blond dude, do you think the police should stop and check out short black or Asian guys and gals just to be fair?

Not only does Israel profile ethnically, but uses names, finger prints, and other data bases to identify potential subversives.

The huge majority of people of Middle Eastern descent who are flying on commercial airliners are law abiding, peaceful people with no intention of hurting anybody. These people don't wish to be blown up by anybody either, no matter what the anybody might look like. So using the most reasonable means of protecting the public protects everybody, including Middle Easterners.

We should still do occasional random searches and train airport personnel to recognize suspicious stuff and behavior, but I advocate putting the most resources where the most risk is. At such time as we find that blueeyed blond dude all trussed up ready to explode, then we rethink the problem. White blueeyed blond dudes have been in pretty short supply as suicide bombers however.

Hype my ****ing ass!!!!!!!

" The List " of Islamic Terror Attacks For the Past 12 Months

Date Country City Killed Injured Description
12/22/05 Iraq Baghdad 4 6 Jihadis murder four policemen at a checkpoint with a barrage of automatic weapons fire. Six others are injured.
12/22/05 Iraq Iskandariyah 4 1 Sunni gunmen rake a passenger bus with machine-guns, killing at least four civilians.
12/21/05 Pakistan Wana 1 0 A man is abducted and beheaded by the local Taliban.
12/21/05 Pakistan Wana 3 1 Religious fundamentalists kill three men at a barbershop.
12/20/05 Afghanistan Kabul 3 0 Three Afghan soldiers are killed in an ambush by religious extremists.
12/19/05 Pakistan Miranshah 1 0 The Taliban abduct and behead a man, then hang his body from a pole while throwing the head into a cemetary.
12/19/05 Sudan Abu Surooj 20 16 Arab militias kill at least twenty villagers, including an elderly man, three women and two children.
12/19/05 Iraq Baghdad 3 3 Three bodyguards of a politician are killed in a Jihad ambush on their car.
12/19/05 Iraq Baghdad 2 11 A suicidal religious extremist kills two people outside a children's hospital with a bomb.
12/18/05 Iraq Baghdad 6 13 Three attacks, including a Fedayeen bombing, leave four innocents dead and thirteen injured. The bodies of two people are recovered elsewhere.
12/18/05 Iraq Baghdad 3 2 A terrorist's roadside bomb kills two police officers and injures two.

12/17/05 Afghanistan Akhundkariz 3 0 Three policemen are killed when religious extremists storm a checkpoint.
12/17/05 Afghanistan Lashkargah 2 0 The Taliban murder an 18-year-old student and a school guard with automatic weapons.
12/17/05 Iraq Baladruz 3 1 A barbershop attack by fundamentalists leaves three dead and one injured.
12/16/05 India Baramulla 2 0 Two civilians die in separate incidents. One is kidnapped and murdered, the other is killed with a grenade.
12/16/05 Afghanistan Kabul 2 2 Two passersby are killed by a Fedayeen suicide car bomber. Two others are injured.
12/16/05 Israel Hebron 1 1 al-Aqsa fires on a passenger car carrying Israeli civilians, killing a 35-year-old man.
12/16/05 India Jamia Mohalla 1 1 The Mujahideen open fire on a group of civilians, killing one and injuring another.
12/16/05 India Kulgam 1 0 A woman is shot to death by Islamic militants.
12/16/05 Iraq Parwana 5 2 Four children playing soccer are among five killed by Islamic insurgents mortaring a schoolyard. Two other children are injured.
12/16/05 India Mohalla Jamia 2 0 The Mujahideen kills two villagers near their home.
12/15/05 Afghanistan Nad Ali 1 0 The Taliban drag a teacher out of his classrom and kill him for teaching girls. He had ignored previous warnings.
12/15/05 Iraq Mosul 1 7 A polling station guard is killed when militants toss a grenade from a motorcycle.
12/14/05 India Tanta 1 0 A student who refused to join the Mujahideen is kidnapped and shot to death.
12/14/05 Afghanistan Kandahar 1 0 A pro-government cleric is assassinated by the Taliban as he is riding to work.
12/13/05 Philippines Patikul 2 11 Two Filipino soldiers are killed in a gunfight with Abu Sayyaf militants.
12/13/05 Iraq Ramadi 1 0 An election candidate is gunned down by Jihadis while waiting for gas at a station.
12/13/05 Pakistan Dera Bugti 3 6 Three members of a family, including a child, are killed when al-Qaeda-backed militants attack their home with a dozen rockets.
12/13/05 India Kashreyan 1 0 The Mujahideen gun down a civilian near his home.
12/13/05 Iraq Baghdad 4 0 Four American soldiers are killed in a roadside terror attack while in transport.
12/13/05 Pakistan Balochistan 1 0 A hotel owner is killed in a sectarian attack.
12/12/05 Iraq Baghdad 10 31 Three Jihad attacks kill six people and the bodies of four abductees are discovered.
12/12/05 Lebanon Mkalles 4 30 Christian reporter is assassinated by a car bombing that kills three other people. Thirty innocents are injured in the blast.
12/11/05 India Chandilora 1 0 A shopowner is killed in his place of business by Muslim terrorists.
12/11/05 Iraq Baiji 2 1 Sunni gunmen attack a car carrying off-duty Iraqi soldiers, killing two.
12/10/05 Afghanistan Nazarjusth 7 6 Seven policemen are killed when religious extremists stage an assault on their compound.
12/10/05 Iraq Mosul 1 1 Two campaign workers are shot while hanging posters.
12/10/05 Iraq Mosul 2 1 Terrorists kill two civilians with a roadside bomb.
12/10/05 Pakistan North Waziristan 2 0 The Taliban kill two more people, decapitating them and hanging their bodies upside down from pylons.
12/10/05 Iraq Tikrit 1 0 An Egyptian man working to build a medical clinic is kidnapped and murdered by Islamic insurgents.
12/9/05 Afghanistan Zabul 1 2 The Taliban attack a remote checkpoint, killing a policeman and injuring two others.
12/9/05 Iraq Baghdad 3 0 Two men are killed by Islamic insurgents. The body of a kidnapped intelligence officer is found in Balad.
12/8/05 Bangladesh Gangni 1 10 Bombing at a traffic crossing kills one person and leaves ten others injured.
12/8/05 Bangladesh Netrakona 6 100 A Jamaatul Mujahideen Bangladesh suicide bomber kills six people working in a Communist Party office.
12/8/05 Iraq Baghdad 32 44 A 'Holy Warrior' blows apart more than thirty passengers on a packed bus, including women and children, as they are prepared to travel home for the weekend.
12/8/05 Pakistan Jandola 12 40 Twelve people are killed when a planted bomb rips through a hotel restaurant. Forty others are injured.
12/8/05 Afghanistan Khost 4 1 Two civilians are among four people reported killed by the Taliban.
12/8/05 Israel Kalandiya 1 0 A 20-year-old Israeli soldier is fatally stabbed in the neck by an al-Aqsa terrorist at a point of entry.
12/8/05 Afghanistan Helmand 1 2 Taliban extremists attack a police patrol, killing one officer.
12/8/05 India Gandoh 1 0 A security guard at a civilian residence is shot and killed at point blank range by a Muslim terrorist.
12/8/05 Iraq Baghdad 1 0 The Islamic Army of Iraq claims to have executed an unarmed American civilian abducted earlier.
12/7/05 Russia Ingushetia 0 9 Nine Russians manning a checkpoint are injured when Jihad gunmen open fire.
12/7/05 Iraq Kirkuk 3 5 Three hospital guards are gunned down on the job by terrorists.
12/6/05 Thailand Narathiwat 1 0 A cleric is gunned down by Islamists on a motorcycle.
12/6/05 Iraq Fallujah 9 0 Nine bodies of civilians are found, bound and executed.
12/6/05 Pakistan Miranshah 7 0 The Taliban kill seven tribesmen in their homes, later mutilating and hanging the bodies from utility poles.
12/6/05 Pakistan Wana 2 0 Two Pakistani soldiers are kidnapped and beheaded by Islamic fundamentalists.

For all these people who say it's over hyped you're either retarded or are intentionally trying to aid and abet the enemy there are another 10,000 cases of Islamic terrorist attacks that I have found just within the last year and I can't put them all here because it would take up about ten pages so here's a link you mis informed useful idiots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:

http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/default.htm#attacks

For those of you who say that terrorists could easily circumvent ethnic profiling by recruiting non-Arabs or by making Arabs look like non-Arabs...that's true, but it's not being done yet. Similarly, terrorists could circumvent retina scans by replacing their own eyes with someone else's. They could circumvent fingerprinting by burning their own fingers until they had no prints. They could circumvent proof of American citizenship by hacking into the USCIS and creating a citizenship for themselves. They could get around metal detectors by taking a job at the airport and gaining unchecked access to secure areas.

There's always some way that security measures can be avoided, but I hope you aren't suggesting that we do away with all security. The point is to make it as difficult as possible for terrorists while inconveniencing others as little as possible.

Kandahar said:
Except you don't go through different security lines from one airline to another. At many airports, you go through the same line no matter where you're going or what company you're flying with. The policies are those of the (government-run) FAA, not any individual airline.

My argument is somewhat based on idealism--how I think things should be rather than a single thing within the present context. So if I had give a pragmatic answer to the question, I would be in favour of racial profiling. It's just common sense.

But let's suppose that each airline had its own security system. If I'm a terrorist and I decide that Acme Airlines has the weakest security at a given airport, you better believe I'm going to choose Acme Airlines. And if my plane isn't shot out of the sky by an F-14 before I do whatever it is I planned to do (or possibly, even if it is shot down), the business ramifications would affect a lot more than Acme Airlines.

A free market doesn't imply that you allow companies to be grossly negligent with the lives of innocent people who have nothing to do with them.

Then Acme Airlines insurance costs would be pretty high if they were rated as the least secure airline. Suppose the insurance carrier for the airline had to pay for the property destruction that resulted from a highjacked plane, and the lawsuits that such an event inspires. I bet Acme's insurance costs would be through the roof if the insurance company thought they had sub-par security. Also, people may not fly Acme Airlines knowing this. So Acme improves their security because it's in their financial best interests to do so.

I'm not saying that it will make it non-existent, but I think a free market is the best system to avoid gross negligence.

Trajan Octavian Titus said:
12/17/05 Afghanistan Akhundkariz 3 0 Three policemen are killed when religious extremists storm a checkpoint.
12/17/05 Afghanistan Lashkargah 2 0 The Taliban murder an 18-year-old student and a school guard with automatic weapons.
12/17/05 Iraq Baladruz 3 1 A barbershop attack by fundamentalists leaves three dead and one injured.
12/16/05 India Baramulla 2 0 Two civilians die in separate incidents. One is kidnapped and murdered, the other is killed with a grenade.
12/16/05 Afghanistan Kabul 2 2 Two passersby are killed by a Fedayeen suicide car bomber. Two others are injured.
12/16/05 Israel Hebron 1 1 al-Aqsa fires on a passenger car carrying Israeli civilians, killing a 35-year-old man.
12/16/05 India Jamia Mohalla 1 1 The Mujahideen open fire on a group of civilians, killing one and injuring another.
12/16/05 India Kulgam 1 0 A woman is shot to death by Islamic militants.
12/16/05 Iraq Parwana 5 2 Four children playing soccer are among five killed by Islamic insurgents mortaring a schoolyard. Two other children are injured.
12/16/05 India Mohalla Jamia 2 0 The Mujahideen kills two villagers near their home.
12/15/05 Afghanistan Nad Ali 1 0 The Taliban drag a teacher out of his classrom and kill him for teaching girls. He had ignored previous warnings.
12/15/05 Iraq Mosul 1 7 A polling station guard is killed when militants toss a grenade from a motorcycle.
12/14/05 India Tanta 1 0 A student who refused to join the Mujahideen is kidnapped and shot to death.
12/14/05 Afghanistan Kandahar 1 0 A pro-government cleric is assassinated by the Taliban as he is riding to work.
12/13/05 Philippines Patikul 2 11 Two Filipino soldiers are killed in a gunfight with Abu Sayyaf militants.
12/13/05 Iraq Ramadi 1 0 An election candidate is gunned down by Jihadis while waiting for gas at a station.
12/13/05 Pakistan Dera Bugti 3 6 Three members of a family, including a child, are killed when al-Qaeda-backed militants attack their home with a dozen rockets.
12/13/05 India Kashreyan 1 0 The Mujahideen gun down a civilian near his home.
12/13/05 Iraq Baghdad 4 0 Four American soldiers are killed in a roadside terror attack while in transport.
12/13/05 Pakistan Balochistan 1 0 A hotel owner is killed in a sectarian attack.
12/12/05 Iraq Baghdad 10 31 Three Jihad attacks kill six people and the bodies of four abductees are discovered.
12/12/05 Lebanon Mkalles 4 30 Christian reporter is assassinated by a car bombing that kills three other people. Thirty innocents are injured in the blast.
12/11/05 India Chandilora 1 0 A shopowner is killed in his place of business by Muslim terrorists.
12/11/05 Iraq Baiji 2 1 Sunni gunmen attack a car carrying off-duty Iraqi soldiers, killing two.
12/10/05 Afghanistan Nazarjusth 7 6 Seven policemen are killed when religious extremists stage an assault on their compound.
12/10/05 Iraq Mosul 1 1 Two campaign workers are shot while hanging posters.
12/10/05 Iraq Mosul 2 1 Terrorists kill two civilians with a roadside bomb.
12/10/05 Pakistan North Waziristan 2 0 The Taliban kill two more people, decapitating them and hanging their bodies upside down from pylons.
12/10/05 Iraq Tikrit 1 0 An Egyptian man working to build a medical clinic is kidnapped and murdered by Islamic insurgents.
12/9/05 Afghanistan Zabul 1 2 The Taliban attack a remote checkpoint, killing a policeman and injuring two others.
12/9/05 Iraq Baghdad 3 0 Two men are killed by Islamic insurgents. The body of a kidnapped intelligence officer is found in Balad.
12/8/05 Bangladesh Gangni 1 10 Bombing at a traffic crossing kills one person and leaves ten others injured.
12/8/05 Bangladesh Netrakona 6 100 A Jamaatul Mujahideen Bangladesh suicide bomber kills six people working in a Communist Party office.
12/8/05 Iraq Baghdad 32 44 A 'Holy Warrior' blows apart more than thirty passengers on a packed bus, including women and children, as they are prepared to travel home for the weekend.
12/8/05 Pakistan Jandola 12 40 Twelve people are killed when a planted bomb rips through a hotel restaurant. Forty others are injured.
12/8/05 Afghanistan Khost 4 1 Two civilians are among four people reported killed by the Taliban.
12/8/05 Israel Kalandiya 1 0 A 20-year-old Israeli soldier is fatally stabbed in the neck by an al-Aqsa terrorist at a point of entry.
12/8/05 Afghanistan Helmand 1 2 Taliban extremists attack a police patrol, killing one officer.
12/8/05 India Gandoh 1 0 A security guard at a civilian residence is shot and killed at point blank range by a Muslim terrorist.
12/8/05 Iraq Baghdad 1 0 The Islamic Army of Iraq claims to have executed an unarmed American civilian abducted earlier.
12/7/05 Russia Ingushetia 0 9 Nine Russians manning a checkpoint are injured when Jihad gunmen open fire.
12/7/05 Iraq Kirkuk 3 5 Three hospital guards are gunned down on the job by terrorists.
12/6/05 Thailand Narathiwat 1 0 A cleric is gunned down by Islamists on a motorcycle.
12/6/05 Iraq Fallujah 9 0 Nine bodies of civilians are found, bound and executed.
12/6/05 Pakistan Miranshah 7 0 The Taliban kill seven tribesmen in their homes, later mutilating and hanging the bodies from utility poles.
12/6/05 Pakistan Wana 2 0 Two Pakistani soldiers are kidnapped and beheaded by Islamic fundamentalists.

Ooh, a couple of Pakistanis were beheaded by Islamic terrorists! Oooh, a suicide bomber struck in Afghanistan! I'm soooo scared, here in Australia. :roll:

vergiss said:
Ooh, a couple of Pakistanis were beheaded by Islamic terrorists! Oooh, a suicide bomber struck in Afghanistan! I'm soooo scared, here in Australia. :roll:

I know what you mean. I'm considering boarding up my windows and writing my will. That whole list and only 1 first world country on it. He employs the term "useful idiots" just because were not all in hysterics when the terror alert level is raised.

I don't buy into that "religion of peace" theory, but I still maintain that there exists more fear-mongering out there, rather than actual threat.

Kandahar said:
Government sure as hell does have the right to tell airlines exactly how to screen their passengers; in fact that's one of the few things the government DOES have the right to do. What does the free market have to do with flying airplanes into buildings?

That's an interesting statement. When did governments start getting "rights"?

What we really need are travel permits so the government not only knows exactly who's going where, but why. That'll help make us safer.

vergiss said:

You have a strange definition of a couple I gave you a list of more than a thousand terrorist attacks in the last year alone and you call it a couple how about the attack in Bali??? Did that one hit a little closer to home? How about 9-11? How about the British bus bombings? How about the Madrid train bombings? How about the Russian school children who were murdered in cold blood? Do the people who die have to be white before you take notice? What, do the people who aren't western not count in your book???

Last edited:
curt said:
I know what you mean. I'm considering boarding up my windows and writing my will. That whole list and only 1 first world country on it. He employs the term "useful idiots" just because were not all in hysterics when the terror alert level is raised.

I don't buy into that "religion of peace" theory, but I still maintain that there exists more fear-mongering out there, rather than actual threat.

You're living proof of why developing nations (not third world buddy there's only one world that I'm aware of) hate the west your arrogance is profound I'll tell you the same thing I told Vergiss:

I gave you a list of more than a thousand terrorist attacks in the last year alone and you call it a couple how about the attack in Bali??? How about 9-11? How about the British bus bombings? How about the Madrid train bombings? How about the Russian school children who were murdered in cold blood? Do the people who die have to be white before you take notice? What, do the lives that are not western not count in your book???

Last edited:
Well, the police usually restrict their suspects for rape to males. That's a clear case of profiling everyone accepts without question.

Given that most terrorists are islamic nutcases these days, given the limited resources available to law enforcement, and given the sheer volume of air traffic in the United States, profiling in some form only makes sense.

Now, fact of the matter is that we can't stop all the bad guys from getting on airplanes. One day, maybe on Christmas Eve, even, someday someone is going to hijack another American airliner from an American airport.

There's one way to minimize the chances, though.

Don't screen the passengers. Search their luggage for bombs, and etc, of course, I don't see how that can be avoided. But let any American citizen with proper permits carry his favorite firearm on board if he likes. It's a total mystery how the First Amendment applies to radio waves that will carry to the stars, but the Second Amendment is stopped dead a quarter inch off the runway.

The word is "deterrent", gang.

As a libertarian sure I do why not they don't own the airlines operating out of the airport it's like them owning the football stadium but not the team that plays out of it Libertarians aren't pro-anarchy well they are for economic anarchy but the airports are public space not public business the airport doesn't make the money the airlines do. And if you really want to get technical the airlines are on corporate welfare something libertarians are adomantly opposed to.

Nah. Airports should be owned by airlines and private constortiums. Greyhound owns it's own bus stations. There's nothing intimating "anarchy" in getting the governments out of the air transport business.

Cities shouldn't be owning football stadiums, either. If they weren't in the stadium business, GW Bush would still be looking for his first million.

Caine said:
Two, I DO NOT agree with ANY form of Racial Profiling, if we can get away with profiling Arabs, why don't we start profiling Blacks for violent crime? Whites for "White-Collar" Crime, Latinos for Cocaine Trafficking, Christians for bombing Abortion Clinics? (Heaven forbid that would happen, John Gibson would scream bloody murder) Its just silly. Discriminate against everyone and you cover all ethnicities, INCLUDING, the Middle-Eastern Boogey Man.

Because violent crime isn't statistically isolated to blacks, but there's a clear peak in the distribution when "terrorism" and "Arab males" are examined? They do start with Christians when abortion clinics are bombed.

What's wrong with discrimination, anyway? One of the word's definitions is "the ability or power to see or make fine distinctions; discernment".

Caine said:
Three, Back to the threat of Terrorism, I think, personally the government is using it as a way to terrorize the people into giving up personal freedoms and giving powers to the government that they don't necessarily need in order to protect us all from the Middle-Eastern Boogey Man.

Probably true enough. But that's a historical norm that goes back to earliest human prehistory. The trick is knowing when the threat is real enough to worry about.

Scarecrow Akhbar said:
Nah. Airports should be owned by airlines and private constortiums. Greyhound owns it's own bus stations. There's nothing intimating "anarchy" in getting the governments out of the air transport business.

Cities shouldn't be owning football stadiums, either. If they weren't in the stadium business, GW Bush would still be looking for his first million.

Ya but government does have a few necessary functions, providing the security of the populace is one of them. I'm more worried about private security forces operating under the authority of corporate America more than I am about public security working under the authority of the constitution.

mixedmedia said:
How is profiling going to prevent 95% of terrorist attacks if the terrorists simply change the racial make-up of their bombersin response to it? Did you know that fewer than 15% of those of the Islamic faith are Arab?

One establishes a search protocol biased towards the higher risk factors while maintaining additional factors for selecting a sufficient percentage of lesser risk indivduals to ensure a wide enough spectrum of coverage to deter most would be hijackers.

A statisically random search protocol pleases the fools while wasting a lot of time and money.

Ya but government does have a few necessary functions, providing security is one of them.

Government provided airport security on September 11th, too.

Scarecrow Akhbar said:
Government provided airport security on September 11th, too.
I'm more worried about private security forces operating under the authority of corporate America more than I am about public security working under the authority of the constitution.

I'm more worried about private security forces operating under the authority of corporate America more than I am about public security working under the authority of the constitution.

It's easier to punish a private security force, and their employers, for violations than it is to get the federal government to do something right.

A rent-a-cop pats down the pretty girls a little too enthusiastically? There's not "blue wall" protecting him, and he's fair game for lawsuits as well.

They certainly can't violate civil liberties as much as the government agents have.

Scarecrow Akhbar said:
It's easier to punish a private security force, and their employers, for violations than it is to get the federal government to do something right.

A rent-a-cop pats down the pretty girls a little too enthusiastically? There's not "blue wall" protecting him, and he's fair game for lawsuits as well.

They certainly can't violate civil liberties as much as the government agents have.

Ya but who are they accountable to? There's no checks and balances on them. Economic anarchy is one thing corporate government is quite another I mean what's to stop them from creating their own private military which operates outside of the law and is only accountable to the board of directors and not to the constitution of the United States. I'm probably just being paranoid and I know they already have rent a cops and the like but to say that private security should replace public security . . . I don't know, it just seems like a possible pandoras box to me.

Scarecrow Akhbar said:
Because violent crime isn't statistically isolated to blacks, but there's a clear peak in the distribution when "terrorism" and "Arab males" are examined? They do start with Christians when abortion clinics are bombed.

What's wrong with discrimination, anyway? One of the word's definitions is "the ability or power to see or make fine distinctions; discernment".

You are right.

Racial profiling is just allowing someone to work with statistics so he or she can get the job done. It is not discrimination.

An FBI profiler working to capture a notorius serial killer is most likely going to look for a young caucasian male. Now there have been at least one black serial killer I am aware of and a couple of females, but that is how an FBI profiler quickly and efficiently narrows his search. He is not being prejudicial towards whites. If I am looking for a computer hacker criminal I am going to go after young white males, not black half latino women. (such computer crimes are usually committed by people with the resources and access to a computer such as a middle cass white male.) Violent street crimes are statistically committted to a higher degree by black males because of circumstances of poverty , not race (more blacks are impoverished.) In fact whites and blacks committ crime to the same degree but the types of crimes differ due to socioeconomic status.

Racial profiling occurs in medicine. There are certain medicines that work to a much better degree in blacks then whites. (For instance, a new heart failure medicine called BIDIL has tremendous benefits in blacks but not in whites, calcium channel blockers and diuretics are much better antihypertensives in blacks than whites) Should a doctor be color blind when deciding on the best antihypertensive for the patient based on the above data?

Doctors immunize blacks differently. Invasive pneumococcal disease is more prevalent in a 45 year old black adult than a 65 year old white and we try to innoculate them 20 years younger with the pneumococcal vaccine vs their white counterpart.

When a black person comes in with severe pleurisy (pain on breathing) we must consider sickle cell chest wall syndrome , which does not affect whites. If a white child has recurrent bronchitis, the doctor must consider cystic fibrosis etc.

Back
Top Bottom