• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do you know any anti-vaxxers?

Allan

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
I'm curious about forum members' experience with people who are vaccine hesitant. Do you know people refusing the vaccine and what reasons are they giving?

I know two. One is a member of a breakaway Penticostal group who's refused as he was told God would protect him.

The other is refusing because he "heard" (undoubtedly read on Facebook) that a lot of people were ending up in wheelchairs after getting the shot.

Yes, a former lodger of mine who is a healthcare assistant working in nursing homes. Unfortunately for her she will have to be vaccinated soon or lose her well-paid job. I asked what her reasoning was and all I got was 'suspicion'.

Last edited:
I have a neighbor who hates the government and doesn't trust cops, doctors, or politicians, and thinks the vaccine is intended to weed out the weak from the strong. ( whatever his perception of that means )

I'm curious about forum members' experience with people who are vaccine hesitant. Do you know people refusing the vaccine and what reasons are they giving?

I know two. One is a member of a breakaway Penticostal group who's refused as he was told God would protect him.

The other is refusing because he "heard" (undoubtedly read on Facebook) that a lot of people were ending up in wheelchairs after getting the shot.
A couple of people. Young adults, liberal. Not anti-vaxx, just COVID vax hesitant. Their reason is the way it's being pushed. The harder the push, the less they trust.
They've said (it's a couple) "has a vaccine been pushed this much before"? My reply is no, not in my lifetime, but we've never had a pandemic like this either.(in my lifetime)

Some do not trust a vaccine can be safe based on previous ones taking five years to become FDA approved. Others are women in child bearing years who do not know how the vaccine will affect fertility and/or unborn child.

My 17 year old son is, but I made sure he got vaxxed anyway because one of my duties as a father is to protect him until he is old enough to take care of himself.

My parents. My father is in the ICU as we speak, and my mom has been sent home and is fighting it at home. My brother and I begged them for months to get vaccinated but they actively rejected it.

For my mom it's because she's spent the past 10 years in a multi level marketing scheme that sells minerals with healing powers and has been brainwashed into believing modern medicine is a sham and they're hiding the evidence of the minerals.

For my dad, he's extremely republican and a Trump voter, so between the talk show radio hosts, republican politicians, Trump and everyone else in that sphere telling him covid is no big deal and the vaccine is dangerous, combined with my mother whispering in his ear, he also refused to take it and is paying dearly for it. He's been in the hospital for weeks and is having the worst time of his life.

Even after all this, my mom still has the balls to tell me "Just think of how much worse it would've been had we taken the vaccine!"

My best friend, whom I met in high school 39 years ago and love like a brother, is a lib hatin', Trump luvin', alt -right radio listenin', anti-vaxxer.
My fiancee has a friend like that (in the Trump loving sense, probably unlike in the details that will follow in this post). They were great friends until this guy got hurt in a relationship and decided not to be gay anymore. Now he is full on self denying fascist (he has the balls to admit it too) who is deep into the idea of an anglo-saxon "christian" ethno-state. Very unhappy individual and also staunchly anti-vaccine.

The dude has been trying to get into a relationship with a woman for a few years now (but it never lasts past the second date) but ends up at these pool parties full of men (and he swears its just good watery fun).

I feel really bad for the dude whenever she brings him up.

My parents. My father is in the ICU as we speak, and my mom has been sent home and is fighting it at home. My brother and I begged them for months to get vaccinated but they actively rejected it.

For my mom it's because she's spent the past 10 years in a multi level marketing scheme that sells minerals with healing powers and has been brainwashed into believing modern medicine is a sham and they're hiding the evidence of the minerals.

For my dad, he's extremely republican and a Trump voter, so between the talk show radio hosts, republican politicians, Trump and everyone else in that sphere telling him covid is no big deal and the vaccine is dangerous, combined with my mother whispering in his ear, he also refused to take it and is paying dearly for it. He's been in the hospital for weeks and is having the worst time of his life.

Even after all this, my mom still has the balls to tell me "Just think of how much worse it would've been had we taken the vaccine!"
This must be really hard for your family and I feel for the frustration and sorrow you must be feeling. Is your father on a ventilator or has he managed to avoid that?

It amazes me how Trump = AntiVax when true Trumpers have actually had the shot from quite a few that I know personally. Cognitive dissonance. Too many folks still think this is a left/right thing and it isn't.

Anyway, the ones that I know that are anti-vax aren't really saying much beyond that it hasn't had enough time too cook, mistrust and was rushed. One is truly conspiratorial.

Then there is the African-American cigar smokers that I know that will hard pass because of history and direct mistrust in the Gov/CDC. Google Tuskegee Syphilis Study if you are not familiar, it hasn't been forgotten.

My 17 year old son is, but I made sure he got vaxxed anyway because one of my duties as a father is to protect him until he is old enough to take care of himself.
Last time I saw my best friend he was telling his 16-year-old son not to get vaccinated because he heard it makes young kids' hearts swell up. I can't say a word about it to either one. I remember buying this kid Hess toy trucks for Christmas every year when he was little. When he got older I'd just throw money at him so he'd like me.

What can I say now? I can't get between my best friend and his son.

Last time I saw my best friend he was telling his 16-year-old son not to get vaccinated because he heard it makes young kids' hearts swell up. I can't say a word about it to either one. I remember buying this kid Hess toy trucks for Christmas every year when he was little. When he got older I'd just throw money at him so he'd like me.

What can I say now? I can't get between my best friend and his son.
Unfortunately you just have to let them make that mistake. Its hard, I know.

Yes, a former lodger of mine who is a healthcare assistant working in nursing homes. Unfortunately for her she will have to be vaccinated soon or lose her well-paid job. I asked what her reasoning was and all I got was 'suspicion'.
She sounds like one of these folks:

69717731.jpg

Glad this was posted, so here is my reply:

I live in a northern Ontario city of roughly 150,000 people. As of yesterday, in our entire city, we had 0 new cases, 2 ongoing but recovering, 0 in ICU.

EVERYONE - and I mean this folks - EVERYONE I know personally has been vaccinated, and mask wearing? Not a single protest, not a single person I have seen trying to barge into a store without a mask. At worse, I have seen highschool kids off school property hanging around smoking their cigarettes without masks, but since 0 new infections, they are probably feeling bold - and have probably been vaccinated.

Our local paper says our FULL vaccination rate is 90%!

OH the joy of living in a country where people don't moan and whine and are willing to do the right thing for themselves and their neighbors.

My wife's second cousin is a Covid anti-vaxxer, but no one I know personally is anti-vax.

I am one of them. So is my wife. I am an agnostic deist so you can't use that BS line that implies only religious whackjobs are against the vaccine. My son and his wife had Covid. She had it for 9 days and insisted on Hydroxy and was better the very next day. They feel they are immune and studies show that they in fact are more than 10 times MORE immune than someone who is vaccinated.

Any more questions about why people do not want to be vaccinated with something that is relatively new and offers scant protection against the Delta variant?

You know, just calling people "anti-vaxxers," is so off putting that it's reason enough for people to resist. I can think of half dozen respectable ways of describing people who are not vaccinated without resorting to some polarizing label. It's a leftie term, Allan. Thanks!!

I am one of them. So is my wife. I am an agnostic deist so you can't use that BS line that implies only religious whackjobs are against the vaccine. My son and his wife had Covid. She had it for 9 days and insisted on Hydroxy and was better the very next day. They feel they are immune and studies show that they in fact are more than 10 times MORE immune than someone who is vaccinated.

Any more questions about why people do not want to be vaccinated with something that is relatively new and offers scant protection against the Delta variant?
I save my questions for my doctors and ignore advice from anyone who doesn't have my medical history in front of them and M.D. after their name.

Silly me.

You know, just calling people "anti-vaxxers," is so off putting that it's reason enough for people to resist. I can think of half dozen respectable ways of describing people who are not vaccinated without resorting to some polarizing label. It's a leftie term, Allan. Thanks!!
Those people need to grow a thicker skin.

Back
Top Bottom