• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do you favor sporting events instead being converted to political protest events?

Do you favor sport events instead being converted to police protest events?

• Total voters

joko104

Banned
Suspended
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
At a restaurant yesterday the TV was playing an NBA game, which was instead a continuous protest rally the entire time:

1. The NBA, like many other sporting corporations, converted the game to a protest against covid-19 requirements to wear masks and social distancing.
100% of the players and coaches demonstrated the entire time their absolute refusal to wear masks or social distancing both during the game and not during the game, including hugging, handshaking etc. Given professional athletes are the healthiest of all and not in any risk group, it is reasonable for all of us to equally refuse to wear masks or social distancing joining with the NBA to protest masks and social distancing guideline.

2. A 2 hour protest of the police with all wearing protest shirts.

Until this year, sporting events where were and how people could escape from life's troubles including politics for a while, and were notably pro-American. Now many to most professional sporting events instead are political protest events.

Last edited:
At a restaurant yesterday the TV was playing an NBA game, which was instead a continuous protest rally the entire time:

1. The NBA, like many other sporting corporations, converted the game to a protest against covid-19 requirements to wear masks and social distancing.
100% of the players and coaches demonstrated the entire time their absolute refusal to wear masks or social distancing both during the game and not during the game, including hugging, handshaking etc. Given professional athletes are the healthiest of all and not in any risk group, it is reasonable for all of us to equally refuse to wear masks or social distancing joining with the NBA to protest masks and social distancing guideline.

Until this year, sporting events where were and how people could escape from life's troubles including politics for a while, and were notably pro-American. Now many to most professional sporting events instead are political protest events.

You realize the NBA is in a bubble. They have essentially self quarantined the whole playoffs so that no one has COVID and no one is else is allowed to come into the bubble

Change the channel.

Problem solved.

I love that "Black Lives Matter" is on the floor of all WNBA and NBA basketball courts now. During the last game I watched, the uniforms all had, "Say Her Name" on the back of their shirts in honor of Breonna Taylor, the woman who was shot in her own apartment by police.

So, your "anger poll" is a strawman, as usual. Sporting events can be just as enjoyable, unless you're suffering from guilt over your own hatred of black people.

I love that "Black Lives Matter" is on the floor of all WNBA and NBA basketball courts now. During the last game I watched, the uniforms all had, "Say Her Name" on the back of their shirts in honor of Breonna Taylor, the woman who was shot in her own apartment by police.

So, your "anger poll" is a strawman, as usual. Sporting events can be just as enjoyable, unless you're suffering from guilt over your own hatred of black people.

Yes, they can be. But their overt displays does take away the enjoyment from many. Just like many no longer will eat chick fil a many will stop watching the NBA.

I know I have had it with this gross over reaction to systemic police bias.

Your comment reminds me of this exchange from The Office:

“Jim: [flicks football onto Kevin’s desk] OH!
Kevin: Oh!
Oscar: Sweet!
Jim: Yes! So close. I really love the paper triangle flicking and hitting things game. Yeah.
Kevin: We call it Hate Ball.
Jim: Why?
Kevin: Because of how much Angela hates it.”

I now picture conservatives making pouty faces like Angela on The Office whenever they try to watch sports now.

Yes, they can be. But their overt displays does take away the enjoyment from many. Just like many no longer will eat chick fil a many will stop watching the NBA.

I know I have had it with this gross over reaction to systemic police bias.

There is no reason for someone not to enjoy a sporting event due to the players showing solidarity against racism and injustice - unless that someone has a guilty conscience.

Your comment reminds me of this exchange from The Office:

“Jim: [flicks football onto Kevin’s desk] OH!
Kevin: Oh!
Oscar: Sweet!
Jim: Yes! So close. I really love the paper triangle flicking and hitting things game. Yeah.
Kevin: We call it Hate Ball.
Jim: Why?
Kevin: Because of how much Angela hates it.”

I now picture conservatives making pouty faces like Angela on The Office whenever they try to watch sports now.

My favorite episodes were when Jim played practical jokes on Dwight :)

Two days away from the first NFL game broadcast, I am wondering if I am going to be disgusted with the NFL players the same way as I am turned off and indifferent toward NBA games.
People expect to see professional sports and not professional social protests.
Who needs to be reminded that Black Lives Matter or that Breonna Taylor's death needs an investigation to determine who was wrong in that shooting?
My answer to the NBA is "shut up and dribble". A bunch of pampered millionaires whose "black guilt" compels them to be social justice warriors to prove that they care about something other than making millions from throwing a ball through a hoop.

If I see the same non-professional protests on an NFL broadcast, my response will be "shut up and call the play".

There is no reason for someone not to enjoy a sporting event due to the players showing solidarity against racism and injustice - unless that someone has a guilty conscience.

this is a very shallow and self serving analysis, ignorant really

Two days away from the first NFL game broadcast, I am wondering if I am going to be disgusted with the NFL players the same way as I am turned off and indifferent toward NBA games.
People expect to see professional sports and not professional social protests.
Who needs to be reminded that Black Lives Matter or that Breonna Taylor's death needs an investigation to determine who was wrong in that shooting?
My answer to the NBA is "shut up and dribble". A bunch of pampered millionaires whose "black guilt" compels them to be social justice warriors to prove that they care about something other than making millions from throwing a ball through a hoop.

If I see the same non-professional protests on an NFL broadcast, my response will be "shut up and call the play".

So, let me get this straight.

You don't want riots, burning down buildings, and violent protests yet when there is a peaceful protest or a peaceful group of people showing solidarity you are disgusted and want them to shut up and do their thing.

Now I see why some resort to burning down buildings to get your attention. Peaceful protests and gatherings aren't working. Taking a knee doesn't do anything but get the channel changed.

Stop wondering why some feel destruction will get your attention and force the change they desperately need.

Good point, lurch,
I refuse to be hit over the head by protest messages coming from professional athletes.
I don't know what to expect Thursday night when the first NFL game is broadcast.
My hope is that my DVR will get me through the bull**** comments made about social justice when the purpose of the broadcast is to present professional athletics - not social justice.
I might have feelings of guilt about certain parts of my past. But my record is clean when it comes to treating everyone equally and working well with everyone in my line of work over the past 40 years.
I want to see a football game and not witness protests by pampered, millionaire athletes feeling guilty because they are making millions while millions and millions of members of their race are protesting against inequality and injustice.

I prefer no audience attended sporting events until the virus is under control.

You don't want riots, burning down buildings, and violent protests yet when there is a peaceful protest or a peaceful group of people showing solidarity you are disgusted and want them to shut up and do their thing.

Now I see why some resort to burning down buildings to get your attention. Peaceful protests and gatherings aren't working. Taking a knee doesn't do anything but get the channel changed.

Stop wondering why some feel destruction will get your attention and force the change they desperately need.

So basically you are condoning rioting, burning, looting, and property destruction because not enough people are paying attention to what you call "peaceful protesting".
Who gives a flying **** about peaceful protesting during a professional sporting event?
That's not what those events are for. They are for entertainment.
People like think it is just fine for BLM leaders to stage a protest and have rioters, looters, and arsonists following behind because not enough citizens are paying attention to their social messages.
That is called terrorism.

So you object to people protesting protesters? LOL.

So basically you are condoning rioting, burning, looting, and property destruction because not enough people are paying attention to what you call "peaceful protesting".
Who gives a flying **** about peaceful protesting during a professional sporting event?
People like think it is just fine for BLM leaders to stage a protest and have rioters, looters, and arsonists following behind because not enough citizens are paying attention to their social messages.

Sports are not just "entertainment". They haven't ever been that.

Activism in sports isn't a new concept. Try Jan. 13, 532 A.D, at the chariot races in Constantinople. Or the 1883 Chicago White Sox. Or 1916 Rutgers Football.

Sports are done by human beings. Human beings have emotions and agendas and leanings. You cannot separate the two.

It's hard not to see all of the constant outrage as demanding that people of color shut up, know their place, and stop making everyone uncomfortable by challenging the status quo.

Understanding it is not condoning. Maybe they think they'll get your understanding. LMAO

Around the world, you only see violent protesting when people are at their wits end and feeling abused by a dominating government or society. I would hope not to see that in America, but we are, why? It's not something to take lightly.

It obviously only affects your entertainment, but it affects their lives. They aren't trying to annoy you, they're literally crying out for help. And, you're annoyed.

Poor you.

So you object to people protesting protesters? LOL.

Ha ha, well, I find it sort of gross to see people annoyed by a part of our population who feel mistreated, and abused. I would hope people would be understanding, and try to help, not complain of how hard it is to ignore.

Free speech doesn’t compel agreement. Neither does it excuse violence.

Ha ha, well, I find it sort of gross to see people annoyed by a part of our population who feel mistreated, and abused. I would hope people would be understanding, and try to help, not complain of how hard it is to ignore.

I feel annoyed at watching highly paid athletes trash and disrespect the country where they were able to become highly paid athletes.

There has always been political protests in sports. It has always had a history of being a platform for political protests.

Like how college and professional sports teams that were all white would ask the opposing team to bench an African American player (the only way they could win a lot of the time) and then be surprised by protests over it.

Or how Mack Robinson (older brother of Jackie Robinson), who came in second behind Jessie Owens in the 200 meter event and got the silver, would come home after the Hitler Olympics, not be able to get a job better than street sweeper and wore his Olympic team jacket to remind people of who he was....until those people got tired of it being rubbed in their faces and had the police force him to take off his jacket.

Or how a chariot race in 532 AD sparked riots that killed over 30,000 because the emperor wouldn't spare the lives of two fans of a couple of the chariot contestants.

Athletes and activism: The long, defiant history of sports protests — The Undefeated

Last edited:
Sports are not just "entertainment". They haven't ever been that.

Activism in sports isn't a new concept. Try Jan. 13, 532 A.D, at the chariot races in Constantinople. Or the 1883 Chicago White Sox. Or 1916 Rutgers Football.

Sports are done by human beings. Human beings have emotions and agendas and leanings. You cannot separate the two.

People watch sports for relaxation. It is not their job. Players on the field don't give a **** about fans in the stands or people watching TV - except for the additional revenues to the teams from those fans.
WoW! You are really insightful. "SPorts are done by human beings" with real emotions even. Of course they have agendas. The agendas of the athletes extend to making as much money as possible before they are crippled by their sport.
Wake up. It's called capitalism at its finest and anyone who believes it is more than that belongs in a big city shouting "Black Lives Matter" to any idiot who already does not know that.

People watch sports for relaxation. It is not their job. Players on the field don't give a **** about fans in the stands or people watching TV - except for the additional revenues to the teams from those fans.
WoW! You are really insightful. "SPorts are done by human beings" with real emotions even. Of course they have agendas. The agendas of the athletes extend to making as much money as possible before they are crippled by their sport.
Wake up. It's called capitalism at its finest and anyone who believes it is more than that belongs in a big city shouting "Black Lives Matter" to any idiot who already does not know that.

I see you decided to completely ignore the long storied intertwining of sports and politics since 532 AD. That's fair. It bothers you that you can't feel "relaxed". I think we can all relate to that under this administration.

Back
Top Bottom