• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do you favor sporting events instead being converted to political protest events?

Do you favor sport events instead being converted to police protest events?

• Total voters
Understanding it is not condoning. Maybe they think they'll get your understanding. LMAO

Around the world, you only see violent protesting when people are at their wits end and feeling abused by a dominating government or society. I would hope not to see that in America, but we are, why? It's not something to take lightly.

It obviously only affects your entertainment, but it affects their lives. They aren't trying to annoy you, they're literally crying out for help. And, you're annoyed.

Poor you.

Now I feel bad that you think I am not a good person because I pay attention to my family; obey the law; and think everyone regardless of color should have an opportunity to excel.
You are a bleeding-heart Social Justice Warrior who does not love this country because you feel so sorry for anyone who has not done well with his/her life. Poor Me? I am so proud to be a citizen of this country who took advantage of the benefits of being in the military serving my country. And it is too bad that others were not smart enough to look at the opportunities in front of them since they were born. Instead, those people think it is their god-given right to roam the streets destroying property in the name of racial equality. That seems to be their jobs. And those people deserve to be swept up and thrown in jail like so many hundreds of rioters who are now facing jail time for breaking the law.
Yeah. The protestors got everyone's attention. Now they can talk about what peaceful protestors they were from inside their jail cells.

I feel annoyed at watching highly paid athletes trash and disrespect the country where they were able to become highly paid athletes.

LMAO, of course, you do. They aren't people, theyŕe just highly paid entertainers to you. Those athletes feel compelled to risk their careers because black people's lives matter that much to them. Most of them are themselves black and feel they matter. They've been harassed by police, afraid of the police, or have friends or family who have been.

I understand, because I would do the same. Maybe you don't understand because you wouldn't.

That says more about you than them to me.

Now I feel bad that you think I am not a good person because I pay attention to my family; obey the law; and think everyone regardless of color should have an opportunity to excel.
You are a bleeding-heart Social Justice Warrior who does not love this country because you feel so sorry for anyone who has not done well with his/her life. Poor Me? I am so proud to be a citizen of this country who took advantage of the benefits of being in the military serving my country. And it is too bad that others were not smart enough to look at the opportunities in front of them since they were born. Instead, those people think it is their god-given right to roam the streets destroying property in the name of racial equality. That seems to be their jobs. And those people deserve to be swept up and thrown in jail like so many hundreds of rioters who are now facing jail time for breaking the law.
Yeah. The protestors got everyone's attention. Now they can talk about what peaceful protestors they were from inside their jail cells.

Again, this is not about you.

I see you decided to completely ignore the long storied intertwining of sports and politics since 532 AD. That's fair. It bothers you that you can't feel "relaxed". I think we can all relate to that under this administration.

LMAO. That's the truth! I can relate.

It's hard not to see all of the constant outrage as demanding that people of color shut up, know their place, and stop making everyone uncomfortable by challenging the status quo.

And you believe that challenge should be made at a sporting event? Colin Kaepernick tried that 3 years ago and he has been unemployed every since. Smart move, Colin.
Professional sports is entertainment. When, that too, becomes politicized, then those sports will lose money because stupid athletes will end up cutting off their proverbial noses to spite their greedy faces.

Again, this is not about you.

You're right. And I do not care that it is not about me.
As long as I can pay my cable bill; use my DVR to fast forward through the social justice bull****; I can enjoy NFL games until too many careless athletes catch the virus and have to shut down the league.
C'est la guerre.

At a restaurant yesterday the TV was playing an NBA game, which was instead a continuous protest rally the entire time:

1. The NBA, like many other sporting corporations, converted the game to a protest against covid-19 requirements to wear masks and social distancing.
100% of the players and coaches demonstrated the entire time their absolute refusal to wear masks or social distancing both during the game and not during the game, including hugging, handshaking etc. Given professional athletes are the healthiest of all and not in any risk group, it is reasonable for all of us to equally refuse to wear masks or social distancing joining with the NBA to protest masks and social distancing guideline.

2. A 2 hour protest of the police with all wearing protest shirts.

Until this year, sporting events where were and how people could escape from life's troubles including politics for a while, and were notably pro-American. Now many to most professional sporting events instead are political protest events.

Do you favor sport events instead being converted to police protest events?

Don't worry, I read yesterday that viewership for pro sports is down 38%. Soon they will be back to playing on the neighborhood goal and the sandlot.

LMAO, of course, you do. They aren't people, theyŕe just highly paid entertainers to you. Those athletes feel compelled to risk their careers because black people's lives matter that much to them. Most of them are themselves black and feel they matter. They've been harassed by police, afraid of the police, or have friends or family who have been.

I understand, because I would do the same. Maybe you don't understand because you wouldn't.

That says more about you than them to me.

Those black athlete millionaires enjoying their new-found wealth are suffering from 'black guilt'.
They need to do something to show support for the protestor destroying our cities.
So, since they are so magnanimous in their support, they kneel on the ground disrespecting our flag and national anthem; and they wear shirts with stupid slogans that people are sick of seeing and hearing on our cities' streets.
Some level of support. They still make their millions playing sports and people think they give a **** about protests that they will never join because they might lose their lucrative jobs.

You're right. And I do not care that it is not about me.
As long as I can pay my cable bill; use my DVR to fast forward through the social justice bull****; I can enjoy NFL games until too many careless athletes catch the virus and have to shut down the league.
C'est la guerre.

There ya go, and I agree. You figured it out yourself.

Just ignore it if you don't care and leave it for those who do to help make things right.

And I agree, this year it should have been skipped because of COVID. Plenty of old movies to watch instead. The vaccine will be out soon, and hopefully, we can get back to a bit of normal life.

Yes, they can be. But their overt displays does take away the enjoyment from many. Just like many no longer will eat chick fil a many will stop watching the NBA.

I know I have had it with this gross over reaction to systemic police bias.

Good for you. I think it started out as a good cause though but somewhere along the way, it's become politically motivated overkill.

Free speech doesn’t compel agreement. Neither does it excuse violence.

:thumbs: Watch the above go over some "woke" heads.

Those black athlete millionaires enjoying their new-found wealth are suffering from 'black guilt'.
They need to do something to show support for the protestor destroying our cities.
So, since they are so magnanimous in their support, they kneel on the ground disrespecting our flag and national anthem; and they wear shirts with stupid slogans that people are sick of seeing and hearing on our cities' streets.
Some level of support. They still make their millions playing sports and people think they give a **** about protests that they will never join because they might lose their lucrative jobs.

Waaaaaaah. They are,kneeling!!!!!!! Lol

the only sport I watch per se is soccer...and don't really care if they make their political beliefs known..it is called freedom of speech..don't like it, don't watch.

Ha ha, well, I find it sort of gross to see people annoyed by a part of our population who feel mistreated, and abused. I would hope people would be understanding, and try to help, not complain of how hard it is to ignore.

No one is against the protest and no one ignored the floyd death. Whatever the scenrio there is never any reason to attack innocent people no matter how angry the left gets. When the left started attacking people they became terrorists. When democrats began to allow them to riot unchecked they became traitors. Any response to then now is warranted under the constitution.

Good for you. I think it started out as a good cause though but somewhere along the way, it's become politically motivated overkill.

It's not political but it is overkill.

It's stupidity is what it is.

If I see one more ugly mom pushing her fat screaming child down the road where my car should be chanting BLM....

morons, utter morons

the only sport I watch per se is soccer...and don't really care if they make their political beliefs known..it is called freedom of speech..don't like it, don't watch.

That's why they invented DVRs, so you can fast forward through the social claptrap and on to the next play.

Sports are not just "entertainment". They haven't ever been that.

Activism in sports isn't a new concept. Try Jan. 13, 532 A.D, at the chariot races in Constantinople. Or the 1883 Chicago White Sox. Or 1916 Rutgers Football.

Sports are done by human beings. Human beings have emotions and agendas and leanings. You cannot separate the two.

Too true. However, I would argue that when sports have been at their most "activist" has been when they were at their worst. If the records are to be believed, the Nika riots under Emperor Justinian killed over 30,000 people. I do not think anyone wants to go back to that.

Too true. However, I would argue that when sports have been at their most "activist" has been when they were at their worst. If the records are to be believed, the Nika riots under Emperor Justinian killed over 30,000 people. I do not think anyone wants to go back to that.

You're right. No one wants to see 30,000 Green supporters executed by the Emperor's army.
But what if those Greens actually were in support of AOC's Green New Deal?
Would that be a bad thing?

There is no reason for someone not to enjoy a sporting event due to the players showing solidarity against racism and injustice - unless that someone has a guilty conscience.

Even more you cheer their total boycotting of social distancing and wearing masks! I bet you totally support that "showing of solidarity" and you stand with them, refusing to wear a mask or social distance, don't you?

That's why they invented DVRs, so you can fast forward through the social claptrap and on to the next play.

You have to fast forward past the entire event to avoid the social claptrap of the NBA.

Two days away from the first NFL game broadcast, I am wondering if I am going to be disgusted with the NFL players the same way as I am turned off and indifferent toward NBA games.
People expect to see professional sports and not professional social protests.
Who needs to be reminded that Black Lives Matter or that Breonna Taylor's death needs an investigation to determine who was wrong in that shooting?
My answer to the NBA is "shut up and dribble". A bunch of pampered millionaires whose "black guilt" compels them to be social justice warriors to prove that they care about something other than making millions from throwing a ball through a hoop.

If I see the same non-professional protests on an NFL broadcast, my response will be "shut up and call the play".

Yep, this is the same response that thrills black athletes everywhere. You're telling the players to "quit whining about innocent people being murdered, shut up and entertain you". I don't think professional sports teams are going to miss your viewership!

this is a very shallow and self serving analysis, ignorant really

Only to someone who's in denial of their hatred of black people and their guilt over being that way.

Even more you cheer their total boycotting of social distancing and wearing masks! I bet you totally support that "showing of solidarity" and you stand with them, refusing to wear a mask or social distance, don't you?

Sorry, man. Would you clean up your word salad and explain to me what the heck you're talking about? Thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom