• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every persons position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Did you vote in the 2016 primaries?

NeverTrump

Exposing GOP since 2015
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
It's an interesting question since there is so much negativity about the race and the state of the government itself. Many people have different reasons for not voting. I feel disenfranchised this election because I don't like anybody running right now, and the horrible choices this time leads me without a voice in the primary season which I usually always do vote in.

Dragonfly

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Did not vote. Couldn't vote is more like it.
I am not a registered D or R.

I'm a registered Independent. Therefore, no primaries for me.

azgreg

Chicks dig the long ball
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Yes I did.

eohrnberger

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Yup. Voted.

Lovebug

Let go and let God
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other

Same for me. The way it looks, our votes don't matter much anyways. If the primaries were open here, I would have voted for Sanders. It wouldn't have changed the corrupted game one bit.

tres borrachos

HoHoHo
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Yes I did. NH primary, where we had a wide array of choices.

Crosscheck

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Threw the ballot into the trash can along with other junk mail.

shagg

Wading Through Bull****
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Yup. Me and the missus both.

Turns out, if we had been Clinton supporters, I could have registered my 3 and 5 year old to vote for her too, but we're Sanders people and were lucky to make it in the building.

jamesrage

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
I voted in the primary, I voted for Cruz.

Skeptic Bob

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
Yes, for the first time in a long time, if ever (my memory fails me) I voted in the Democratic primary. I am not a Democrat. I support candidates, not parties. But this time around a candidate I liked happened to be running as a Democrat so I voted in their primary. If in some freak set of circumstances Bernie had run as a Republican, I would have voted in the Republican primary.

Fiddytree

Neocon Elitist
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
My state held their delegate selections at the state GOP convention, so I did not vote. I also did not vote in 2012's Presidential primary, because my state had a GOP caucus, and I would rather do my voting in private.

Winchester

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
I voted. Wanted to vote for Bernie over Hillary, but all the local primary races (which are more important to me) were on the republican side. For all practical purposes the republican primary determines who will win the general election in the local races. I love being in an open primary state, that being said if they made me register to vote I'd have to register republican. The only contested democratic races on our primary ballot were for the president and a democratic challenger to an incumbent governor.

devildavid

Phlegmatic
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

Same for me. The way it looks, our votes don't matter much anyways. If the primaries were open here, I would have voted for Sanders. It wouldn't have changed the corrupted game one bit.

I'm registered Independent, but can choose a ballot to vote on. I chose Democratic this time. Voted for Bernie.

Cyrylek

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Yes, for Rubio. (I am not a Republican, but MA has semi-open primaries)

SouthernDemocrat

Pragmatist
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Yes and it was a pain the ass. The caucus location is walking distance from my house, but the line was literally a mile long, so it took hours.

Carleen

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
It's an interesting question since there is so much negativity about the race and the state of the government itself. Many people have different reasons for not voting. I feel disenfranchised this election because I don't like anybody running right now, and the horrible choices this time leads me without a voice in the primary season which I usually always do vote in.

Yes I did

ellesdee

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
If I do vote today in the primaries, it will be a write-in with my own name.

I doubt I'll make the effort to vote, though.

The Mark

Sporadic insanity normal.
Supporting Member
Monthly Subscriber
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
I switched to Democrat from Independent registration so that I could vote in the PA primary for Sanders.

I haven't switched back yet, and I'm curious how many more emails various democrat party groups are going to send me asking me (sometimes it seems like begging) to become a member of their organization and donate money to them.

Edit: I went in the afternoon before work, and there was basically no line at all.
Additionally, my region is heavily conservative/republican, or appears to be based on the voting results I looked up the next day.

Jack Hays

Traveler
Banned
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

I voted for John Kasich in the Virginia primary.

radcen

Phonetic Mnemonic ©
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Here in Iowa we had our caucuses back in February, but our primary is today. I just got back from voting a few minutes ago.

I'm normally "no party", but as some of you may remember I changed to Dem just so I could experience a caucus. I got lazy and hadn't changed back yet, and actually had an interest in one of the races, so I went ahead and voted.

Now I have to remember to switch back to "no party".

radcen

Phonetic Mnemonic ©
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
My state held their delegate selections at the state GOP convention, so I did not vote. I also did not vote in 2012's Presidential primary, because my state had a GOP caucus, and I would rather do my voting in private.
Yeah. I experienced a caucus for the first time this year, and while I found it intellectually interesting, I wasn't all that impressed. Of the two methods, I'd prefer a regular primary.

RetiredUSN

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I did not vote in the primaries, and I will not vote on the national level.

I will vote for local officials where I can go face to face with them if they screw up.

Top Bottom